Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Story Behind Fake News: Vladislav Surkov

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Fake news is a tool to undermine and control.

People are noticing how confused and uncertain everything feels these days. Reporters are exhausted from just trying to fact check DJ's tweets. As one woman put it: He'll say one thing at 9:00, the opposite of that at noon and by 3:00 he will deny saying either of them.

This is totally by design. It is not just left over from his days as a businessman where it was to his benefit to have the upper hand in negotiations by putting others off balance. No, this is patterned after a tactic used by Russia as a means of control. Raising doubt as to what is real and what is fake, trying to delegitimize the press and sending out distracting tweets is all part of the disorientation package.

ADAM CURTIS, BBC: So much of the news this year has been hopeless, depressing, and above all, confusing. To which the only response is to say, "oh dear."

What this film is going to suggest is that that defeatist response has become a central part of a new system of political control. And to understand how this is happening, you have to look to Russia, to a man called Vladislav Surkov, who is a hero of our time.

Surkov is one of President Putin's advisers, and has helped him maintain his power for 15 years, but he has done it in a very new way.

He came originally from the avant-garde art world, and those who have studied his career, say that what Surkov has done, is to import ideas from conceptual art into the very heart of politics.

His aim is to undermine peoples' perceptions of the world, so they never know what is really happening.

Surkov turned Russian politics into a bewildering, constantly changing piece of theater. He sponsored all kinds of groups, from neo-Nazi skinheads to liberal human rights groups. He even backed parties that were opposed to President Putin.

But the key thing was, that Surkov then let it be known that this was what he was doing, which meant that no one was sure what was real or fake. As one journalist put it: "It is a strategy of power that keeps any opposition constantly confused."

A ceaseless shape-shifting that is unstoppable because it is undefinable. It is exactly what Surkov is alleged to have done in the Ukraine this year. In typical fashion, as the war began, Surkov published a short story about something he called non-linear war. A war where you never know what the enemy are really up to, or even who they are. The underlying aim, Surkov says, is not to win the war, but to use the conflict to create a constant state of destabilized perception, in order to manage and control.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/10/12/bbcs_adam_curtis_how_propaganda_turned_russian_politics_into_a_circus.html

Lmao... you go from an apt description of what fake new is, it's effects, it's goals in a negotiation...

to FAKE NEWS..!! LMAO

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:Lmao... you go from an apt description of what fake new is,  it's effects,  it's goals in a negotiation...
to FAKE NEWS..!!  LMAO

No, she didn't.

You just have trouble with terminology and concepts.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:Lmao... you go from an apt description of what fake new is,  it's effects,  it's goals in a negotiation...

to FAKE NEWS..!!  LMAO

So you don't see the use of fake news as a means of exhausting the public and undermining their faith in the press or current events as reported by them?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/us/politics/donald-trump-russia-business.html?rref=politics&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Politics&pgtype=Multimedia

For Trump, Three Decades of Chasing Deals in Russia

Telstar

Telstar

Sal wrote:
to FAKE NEWS..!!  LMAO

No, she didn't.

You just have trouble with terminology and concepts.

He admits that it's hard for him to follow a story when he reads something he doesn't like.  Laughing

2seaoat

The same folks who posted for two years that Hillary Clinton committed a crime and did not even know the standard, the elements, or understand the clear precedent the Supreme Court ruled in regard to the same in the 1940s. The same folks who snicker at fake news are usually the same folks who so lack in understanding and education that in their minds the fake news becomes reality. It is an intelligence thing. I saw a comedy bit on a late night show this week where they came up to people on the street and asked them which plan do they like.....the ACA or Obamacare. It was not funny. At first I thought people were pretending to be stupid, because that finally did happen with Jay Leno when people realized they got air time by saying something stupid, but these folks were so hopelessly low intelligence that I have real concerns if a democracy can survive when citizens lack even a semblance of education or being informed about real facts and an understanding of the world around them.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:The same folks who posted for two years that Hillary Clinton committed a crime and did not even know the standard, the elements, or understand the clear precedent the Supreme Court ruled in regard to the same in the 1940s.  The same folks who snicker at fake news are usually the same folks who so lack in understanding and education that in their minds the fake news becomes reality.  It is an intelligence thing.  I saw a comedy bit on a late night show this week where they came up to people on the street and asked them which plan do they like.....the ACA or Obamacare.   It was not funny.  At first I thought people were pretending to be stupid, because that finally did happen with Jay Leno when people realized they got air time by saying something stupid, but these folks were so hopelessly low intelligence that I have real concerns if a democracy can survive when citizens lack even a semblance of education or being informed about real facts and an understanding of the world around them.

Fake news and the use of it intensionally to mislead people is a problem that is impacting even a wider range of people, not just the slow learners and poorly educated. The application of this tactic is undermining rational public discussion...and we wonder why there is such a communication gap between people of differing views?

The Story Behind Fake News: Vladislav Surkov 1c5cc8ac86a4a945c7a381ab03bc2729

FAKE OPINIONS..!!

Telstar

Telstar

othershoe1030 wrote:
2seaoat wrote:The same folks who posted for two years that Hillary Clinton committed a crime and did not even know the standard, the elements, or understand the clear precedent the Supreme Court ruled in regard to the same in the 1940s.  The same folks who snicker at fake news are usually the same folks who so lack in understanding and education that in their minds the fake news becomes reality.  It is an intelligence thing.  I saw a comedy bit on a late night show this week where they came up to people on the street and asked them which plan do they like.....the ACA or Obamacare.   It was not funny.  At first I thought people were pretending to be stupid, because that finally did happen with Jay Leno when people realized they got air time by saying something stupid, but these folks were so hopelessly low intelligence that I have real concerns if a democracy can survive when citizens lack even a semblance of education or being informed about real facts and an understanding of the world around them.

Fake news and the use of it intensionally to mislead people is a problem that is impacting even a wider range of people, not just the slow learners and poorly educated. The application of this tactic is undermining rational public discussion...and we wonder why there is such a communication gap between people of differing views?

The Story Behind Fake News: Vladislav Surkov 1c5cc8ac86a4a945c7a381ab03bc2729

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:FAKE OPINIONS..!!

LOL! First we have our own facts and fake news and now we have "FAKE OPINIONS" Perfect!! cheers

2seaoat

We used to roll our eyes at ignorant people. Now it seems that in the tradition of fascism we have an anti intellectual anti journalism elevation of ignorance and lies. I mean I will wait with baited breath to see Hillary convicted of a crime......because ignorant people and propagandist said she was a criminal. I may be waiting a long time. The best part is that folks have woven such a fantasy in the propaganda, this past week they were speculating that President Obama was going to pardon Hillary Clinton. That kind of stupid cannot be fixed.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:We used to roll our eyes at ignorant people.  Now it seems that in the tradition of fascism we have an anti intellectual anti journalism elevation of ignorance and lies.  I mean I will wait with baited breath to see Hillary convicted of a crime......because ignorant people and propagandist said she was a criminal.  I may be waiting a long time.   The best part is that folks have woven such a fantasy in the propaganda, this past week they were speculating that President Obama was going to pardon Hillary Clinton.   That kind of stupid cannot be fixed.

Remember, the aim of disinformation is to undermine people's perception of the world.The propaganda from the far right has created an alternate reality. The BS machine has successfully built all the false frameworks in the minds of people who look down on science, fact based education and now, journalism. This is a ready rack on which to hang all manner of "new fake news".  

I know these people that frustrate you with their ignorance are maddening but we need to keep in mind how this came about. I go back to my computer analogy from decades ago: Garbage In, Garbage Out, GIGO. In their current condition they are worse than ignorant but they are unaware. We will have to find a way to enlighten them. As President Obama said in his last press conference yesterday, reality has a way of coming back and biting you. Or words to that effect. The idea of losing their healthcare coverage is a bit of this bite I think.

Trump and his tweets and his contradictory statements have raised this disinformation business to an entirely new level though and that is by design.

But the key thing was, that Surkov then let it be known that this was what he was doing, which meant that no one was sure what was real or fake. As one journalist put it: "It is a strategy of power that keeps any opposition constantly confused."

A ceaseless shape-shifting that is unstoppable because it is undefinable. It is exactly what Surkov is alleged to have done in the Ukraine this year. In typical fashion, as the war began, Surkov published a short story about something he called non-linear war. A war where you never know what the enemy are really up to, or even who they are. The underlying aim, Surkov says, is not to win the war, but to use the conflict to create a constant state of destabilized perception, in order to manage and control.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum