Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Democrats lost rust belt voters, image problems

+4
gatorfan
2seaoat
Sal
othershoe1030
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Van Jones had a very informative program on recently about the messy truth about democracy; maybe some of you saw it also? The family of Democrats who had voted for President Obama twice and switched to Trump this past election explained why they did so. I can very much see their point.

Sal

Sal

They don't have a point.

They are rust belt rubes and coal field clodhoppers who were sold a bill of goods and will now be sent down the river without a paddle.

While we're all waiting for the announcement out of Camp Runamuck that George (The Animal) Steele will be the next Fed chairman, the elves in the Congress are busy, busy, busy selling out the Rust Belt suckers to whom, if the guilt-ridden elite political media is to be believed, we all owe a cookie for the next decade. First up, the coal miners! From the MetroNews in West Virginia:

The Miners Protection Act to address health and pension benefits for coal miners and their families will not be included in a continuing resolution bill, according to a Tuesday announcement. Congress said the bill, which would continue to fund the federal government, only has four months of funding for those retired miners and their widows. Cecil Roberts, international president of the United Mine Workers of America, called the announcement "a slap in the face to all 22,000 of them who desperately need their health care next month, next year and for the rest of their lives."

But, wait, isn't West Virginia represented in the Senate by that highly influential Democrat, Joe Manchin, who's been running around telling every camera crew inside the Beltway that that his party has to get right with the workin' man? Yeah, he's got the juice, no question.

Approximately 12,500 retired union miners and the widows of retirees stand to lose their pension and health care benefits across the nation.

Next up, the steelworkers! There was a nifty provision in a bill to improve the nation's sorry-ass water infrastructure by which those improvements would be made with American steel made by American steelworkers. This surely would have provided a substantial job at good wages for American workers, who are the salt of the earth, and who abandoned Hillary Rodham Clinton because she did not "speak" to them, nor give them cookies, either.

Ah, my friends. You reckoned without our favorite zombie-eyed granny starver from the state of Wisconsin, as his congressional colleague Senator Tammy Baldwin informs us.

Last Thursday night in Cincinnati, on the first stop of his "Thank You Tour," Trump said his infrastructure plan would follow two simple rules: "Buy American and hire American. We're going to do it ourselves." However, on Friday, the media reported that Speaker Ryan was leading a push to remove the Buy America reform from Water Resources Development Act (WRDA). Senator Baldwin joined a bipartisan a group of 25 Senators in sending a letter to House and Senate leaders calling for her Buy America provision to be put back into the final bill to support U.S. steel and iron workers and manufacturers.

Senator Sherrod Brown was not pleased, either.

"By stripping meaningful Buy America rules from the water infrastructure bill, Washington leadership is choosing China and Russia over Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin," said Brown. "This was the first major test of whether Washington establishment Republicans would live up to President-elect Trump's promises to put American products and American workers first – they failed, and American iron and steel workers will pay the price." The original Buy America rule in the Senate bill would have permanently amended the Safe Drinking Water Act to require American-made steel and iron be used in infrastructure projects funded by the Safe Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF). Instead, Republican leaders stripped that language and replaced it with a one-year provision that is already in effect and does nothing to further ensure American steel and iron will be used in water infrastructure projects moving forward.

Folks, you're being sold down the river. I feel for you because selling you down the river is not good for the country. It never was. It is not immigrants who are selling you down the river. It is not minorities who are selling you down the river. It is not LGBTQ folks who are selling you down the river. Please remember all of that when you wake up pissed that you're, you know, down the river. If you look around the table and can't figure out who the mark is…

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a51379/donald-trump-america-first/

Sal

Sal

And, their claim that Democrats ignored their plight is bullshit too ....

But messaging itself is not the problem. The media is the problem. And since, as the man said, the medium is the message, until we start taking on the media as Public Enemy #1, we're going to go right on losing.

1) For a variety if reasons, white working class Americans have been taking a pounding since the late 1970s. And for a different variety of reasons, a disturbingly high number number of white working class Americans keep voting for the people that fuck them over.

2) Judging by policy statements made, resources allocated, attention paid and political capitol spent, it's quite likely that history will judge the Obama Administration to have been the most consistently pro-manufacturing administration since Eisenhower. In fact, outside of health care (and turkey pardons), I would wager a penny and a fiddle of gold that in the last eight years the Obama administration put more effort into promoting American manufacturing than into any other domestic policy priority.

3) If you are a member of the general public, unless you made an extra special effort to inform yourself, you are blissfully unaware of any of this.

4) If you are blissfully unaware of any of this, it is not because the Obama Administration failed to talk it up at every single opportunity, but because over the last eight years the American political media collectively decided that instead of boring-ass stories about what the Democratic party has been trying to do to improve the lives and futures of the working class Americans, what you needed to hear were lively fairy tales about Birth Certificates and Death Panels. Email servers and Benghaaaazi. A Republican rebranding scam called the "Tea Party". Instead of stories about the Caucus Room Conspiracy and Republican sabotage and sedition, you needed to hear endlessly, plaintive cries from all the usual Beltway hacks about how Barack Obama was refusing to lead!

Ask a Trumpshirt if they remember any of this at all and they'll give you a dirty look, followed by a dozen "Yeah, but what about..."s, each of which will also be bullshit. Then they will scamper away, because they have literally been conditioned by years of hate radio and Fox News and the Breitbart Collective not to remember anything from The Big Scary Past that is ideologically inconvenient.

In other words, if a dirty Libtard says it, it ain't true, and anyone who says anything I disagree with is obviously a dirty Libtard. QED.

Then ask an "undecided" or an "independent" or an "I just hadda vote for Trump because..." friend if they remember any of this, and I guarantee you will get a squinty, faraway look as if they're trying to recollect some obscure fact about the Wendish Crusade of 1147, which had been imparted to them by a forgettable history teacher 40 years ago. Sure, some of this might ring a tiny bell, but inside their heads what will be ringing a much louder bell -- an iron bell the size of fucking Ceres which drowns out all your little, Liberal tintinnabulations -- are years and year and years of the Very Serious People in Americas finest newspapers and cable teevee shows telling them over and over and over and over again that all of this shit is the fault of Both Sides, so by God why not vote for an "outsider" who will disrupt the Corrupt Duopoly!

UPDATE: So what about Hillary? Glad you asked.

From The Atlantic:

The Dangerous Myth That Hillary Clinton Ignored the Working Class

In the days after her shocking loss, Democrats complained that Clinton had no jobs agenda. A widely shared essay in The Nation blamed Clinton's "neoliberalism" for abandoning the voters who swung the election. “I come from the white working class,” Bernie Sanders said on CBS This Morning, “and I am deeply humiliated that the Democratic Party cannot talk to where I came from."

But here is the troubling reality for civically minded liberals looking to justify their preferred strategies: Hillary Clinton talked about the working class, middle class jobs, and the dignity of work constantly. And she still lost.

She detailed plans to help coal miners and steel workers. She had decades of ideas to help parents, particularly working moms, and their children. She had plans to help young men who were getting out of prison and old men who were getting into new careers. She talked about the dignity of manufacturing jobs, the promise of clean-energy jobs, and the Obama administration’s record of creating private-sector jobs for a record-breaking number of consecutive months. She said the word “job” more in the Democratic National Convention speech than Trump did in the RNC acceptance speech; she mentioned the word “jobs” more during the first presidential debate than Trump did. She offered the most comprehensively progressive economic platform of any presidential candidate in history—one specifically tailored to an economy powered by an educated workforce...

http://driftglass.blogspot.com/2016/12/on-subject-of-listening-to-people-of.html#more

2seaoat

I do not know what the truth or myth is without some studies of this election, but it starts by not selling the idea that trade is good for agriculture, and export business. Iowa, Michigan, Pa, and Wisconsin have sizeable agriculture and export business in those states. When Hillary in the primary just shifted to Bernie's position on quasi protectionism and ending trade deals, the voters so how easily she made that switch and questioned her sincerity after the election not to go back to supporting trade deals. This coupled with a complete lack of campaign time in Wisconsin, Iowa, and just a minimal presence in Michigan at the end of the campaign doomed her candidacy. Yes, it was illogical for a working man to vote for Trump, but in the end it simply was the arrogance of her campaign and her not listening to the blue collar Ed Rendell and Michael Moore telling the Democrats that they have to do a better job messaging to those working people who distrusted the history of trade deals that Bill and Hillary supported. I happen to believe that trade is good for everyone if it is fair, and does not allow dumping and currency manipulation, but to simply walk away from the benefits of trade and declare in the primary that you are on board with Bernie was not credible.

gatorfan

Unfortunately HRC said "jobs" a lot and claimed she had "plans" - for example to replace coal jobs with clean energy type employment. As we well know that's a pipe dream for economic reasons. It's one thing to talk about jobs and quite another to actually force legislation or convince private industry to invest in technology that - for now - is not cost-effective. I think she was willing to lead an attempt at energy jobs reform but a willingness to do something is not the same as reality. Too many people saw through the smoke and mirrors. So now the country is stuck with the Donald, like it or not. Let's see what he is willing to try.

Sal

Sal

Is this where we're supposed to "give the guy a chance"?

Would it help if I act surprised when it's taking health care and pensions away from workers, fat tax cuts for the rich, with a side order of union busting?

We can always blame the Mexicans.

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:Van Jones had a very informative program on recently about the messy truth about democracy; maybe some of you saw it also? The family of Democrats who had voted for President Obama twice and switched to Trump this past election explained why they did so. I can very much see their point.

Yes, let's listen to Van Jones, Racist Communist formerly the "Green Czar" for Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama.

Democrats lost rust belt voters, image problems VanJones

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

gatorfan wrote:Unfortunately HRC said "jobs" a lot and claimed she had "plans" - for example to replace coal jobs with clean energy type employment. As we well know that's a pipe dream for economic reasons. It's one thing to talk about jobs and quite another to actually force legislation or convince private industry to invest in technology that - for now - is not cost-effective. I think she was willing to lead an attempt at energy jobs reform but a willingness to do something is not the same as reality. Too many people saw through the smoke and mirrors. So now the country is stuck with the Donald, like it or not. Let's see what he is willing to try.

If clean energy (or cleaner energy) is a "pipe dream", then why has my BIL been running solar installations for the past several years, when he previously ran "shut-downs" for industries such as chemical plants?

As for Trump, he will do whatever it takes for him to stay in power and keep the money train rolling. You have been sold a "Bridge to Nowhere".

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:Van Jones had a very informative program on recently about the messy truth about democracy; maybe some of you saw it also? The family of Democrats who had voted for President Obama twice and switched to Trump this past election explained why they did so. I can very much see their point.

Yes, let's listen to Van Jones, Racist Communist formerly the "Green Czar" for Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama.

ROFLMAO!!! Thank you for my laugh of the day Markle. I KNOW how desperately you hate the well educated thoughtful person Van Jones and I had a special joy in posting this clip, knowing you would be so pleased! Thank you for not disappointing!

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:

ROFLMAO!!! Thank you for my laugh of the day Markle. I KNOW how desperately you hate the well educated thoughtful person Van Jones and I had a special joy in posting this clip, knowing you would be so pleased! Thank you for not disappointing!

Van Jones is a Communist who was forced to resign his "Czar" position with Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama when his background came to light.  In the photo I provided, Van Jones is speaking in favor of releasing from prison, Mumia Abu Jamal.  

Mumia Abu Jamal may be the first Progressives guilty of assassinating a police office for which he was sentenced to death.  It was later commuted to life in prison without parole which is where he belongs.

Not surprising you're so fond of another Communist in the Obama administration.

Your hero:

Democrats lost rust belt voters, image problems Mumia-abu-jamal1-1

Last edited by Markle on 12/9/2016, 12:38 am; edited 2 times in total

You either know very little about Jones... or now openly support communism.

And y'all wonder why you lost... lol.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sal wrote:They don't have a point.

They are rust belt rubes and coal field clodhoppers who were sold a bill of goods and will now be sent down the river without a paddle.

While we're all waiting for the announcement out of Camp Runamuck that George (The Animal) Steele will be the next Fed chairman, the elves in the Congress are busy, busy, busy selling out the Rust Belt suckers to whom, if the guilt-ridden elite political media is to be believed, we all owe a cookie for the next decade. First up, the coal miners! From the MetroNews in West Virginia:

The Miners Protection Act to address health and pension benefits for coal miners and their families will not be included in a continuing resolution bill, according to a Tuesday announcement. Congress said the bill, which would continue to fund the federal government, only has four months of funding for those retired miners and their widows. Cecil Roberts, international president of the United Mine Workers of America, called the announcement "a slap in the face to all 22,000 of them who desperately need their health care next month, next year and for the rest of their lives."

But, wait, isn't West Virginia represented in the Senate by that highly influential Democrat, Joe Manchin, who's been running around telling every camera crew inside the Beltway that that his party has to get right with the workin' man? Yeah, he's got the juice, no question.

Approximately 12,500 retired union miners and the widows of retirees stand to lose their pension and health care benefits across the nation.

Next up, the steelworkers! There was a nifty provision in a bill to improve the nation's sorry-ass water infrastructure by which those improvements would be made with American steel made by American steelworkers. This surely would have provided a substantial job at good wages for American workers, who are the salt of the earth, and who abandoned Hillary Rodham Clinton because she did not "speak" to them, nor give them cookies, either.

Ah, my friends. You reckoned without our favorite zombie-eyed granny starver from the state of Wisconsin, as his congressional colleague Senator Tammy Baldwin informs us.

Last Thursday night in Cincinnati, on the first stop of his "Thank You Tour," Trump said his infrastructure plan would follow two simple rules: "Buy American and hire American. We're going to do it ourselves." However, on Friday, the media reported that Speaker Ryan was leading a push to remove the Buy America reform from Water Resources Development Act (WRDA). Senator Baldwin joined a bipartisan a group of 25 Senators in sending a letter to House and Senate leaders calling for her Buy America provision to be put back into the final bill to support U.S. steel and iron workers and manufacturers.

Senator Sherrod Brown was not pleased, either.

"By stripping meaningful Buy America rules from the water infrastructure bill, Washington leadership is choosing China and Russia over Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin," said Brown. "This was the first major test of whether Washington establishment Republicans would live up to President-elect Trump's promises to put American products and American workers first – they failed, and American iron and steel workers will pay the price." The original Buy America rule in the Senate bill would have permanently amended the Safe Drinking Water Act to require American-made steel and iron be used in infrastructure projects funded by the Safe Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF). Instead, Republican leaders stripped that language and replaced it with a one-year provision that is already in effect and does nothing to further ensure American steel and iron will be used in water infrastructure projects moving forward.

Folks, you're being sold down the river. I feel for you because selling you down the river is not good for the country. It never was. It is not immigrants who are selling you down the river. It is not minorities who are selling you down the river. It is not LGBTQ folks who are selling you down the river. Please remember all of that when you wake up pissed that you're, you know, down the river. If you look around the table and can't figure out who the mark is…

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a51379/donald-trump-america-first/

This article has many valid points. I agree that many Trump voters are going to be very disappointed as time goes on, that Democrats stick up for the working class and the R's do not.

That being said communication is about what people hear, not what is said. For example at the end of this clip the issue of gun control/safety comes up. The husband hears "they want to take my guns away; I won't be able to feed my family; it is a matter of survival." When liberals talk about "gun safety" they mean they don't want crazy people to be able to buy guns and kill children in schools, people on the street, former co-workers or whomever. Again it is not what is said but what is heard that is important.

I just saw the results of a PPP poll on TV. They asked voters several questions and sorted the people by who they had voted for, Hillary or Trump. Trump voters thought by a wide margin that since President Obama has been in office that the unemployment rate has gone up and the stock market has gone down. As we all know the market has more than doubled since Jan. 2009. What these people have Heard is contrary to the real world. Mainly I think this is because they listen to junk news and want to believe the worst of the current administration.

Part of the Dem's loss is due to what people hear and not being effective in communicating our accomplishments. The other part (and there may be several parts not just two) is illustrated by what I highlighted in your post above. We progressives stick up for the workers in all the ways that matter but come across at this point as yoga matt carrying, latte drinking, coastal vegans who look down on people like the couple in the video. That is part of who liberals are but that is not ONLY who we are and we've been stereotyped as such. Until we can re-do this perception we will not do well in the rust belt. Of course Trump and his policies taking those voters to the cleaners and laughing all the way to the bank will go a long way to endearing us to the working class again tool

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:You either know very little about Jones... or now openly support communism.

Perhaps you are the one in need of finding out more about Van Jones. I think he's wonderful. I suppose you admire, who?

Anthony Kapel "Van" Jones (born September 20, 1968) is an American political activist, commentator, author and attorney. He is a cofounder of several nonprofit organizations including the Dream Corps, a "social justice accelerator"[3] which presently operates three advocacy initiatives: #cut50, #YesWeCode and Green for All. He is the author of two New York Times bestselling books, The Green Collar Economy and Rebuild the Dream. He has served as President Barack Obama’s Special Advisor for Green Jobs,[4] as a distinguished visiting fellow at Princeton University,[5] and as a co-host of CNN’s political debate show Crossfire.[6] He is currently President of Dream Corps and a regular CNN contributor.

In 2004, Jones was recognized as a "Young Global Leader" by the World Economic Forum.[7] In 2008, Fast Company called Jones one of the "12 Most Creative Minds in 2008".[8] In 2009, Time magazine named Jones one of the 100 most influential people in the world.[9] In 2010, he was the recipient of the NAACP President's award.[10] After the death of the musician Prince in April 2016 it was revealed that Jones acted as an advisor and go-between, helping the artist anonymously fund humanitarian work.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Jones

Democrats lost rust belt voters, image problems Vanjonesadvisorforgreenjobs

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:You either know very little about Jones... or now openly support communism.

Perhaps you are the one in need of finding out more about Van Jones. I think he's wonderful. I suppose you admire, who?

Anthony Kapel "Van" Jones (born September 20, 1968) is an American political activist, commentator, author and attorney. He is a cofounder of several nonprofit organizations including the Dream Corps, a "social justice accelerator"[3] which presently operates three advocacy initiatives: #cut50, #YesWeCode and Green for All. He is the author of two New York Times bestselling books, The Green Collar Economy and Rebuild the Dream. He has served as President Barack Obama’s Special Advisor for Green Jobs,[4] as a distinguished visiting fellow at Princeton University,[5] and as a co-host of CNN’s political debate show Crossfire.[6] He is currently President of Dream Corps and a regular CNN contributor.

In 2004, Jones was recognized as a "Young Global Leader" by the World Economic Forum.[7] In 2008, Fast Company called Jones one of the "12 Most Creative Minds in 2008".[8] In 2009, Time magazine named Jones one of the 100 most influential people in the world.[9] In 2010, he was the recipient of the NAACP President's award.[10] After the death of the musician Prince in April 2016 it was revealed that Jones acted as an advisor and go-between, helping the artist anonymously fund humanitarian work.[11]

From Wikipedia...hmmmm...written and edited by...Van Jones.

You won't have the stomach to read the FACTS but I'll provide a source for you anyway.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=2406

Excerpts....

Became a Communist in the aftermath of the 1992 "Rodney King riots" in Los Angeles

Founded the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights in 1996

Was active in the anti-Iraq War demonstrations organized by International ANSWER

Suspected that the Bush administration "may indeed have deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen, perhaps as a pretext for war"

Served as a board member of the Rainforest Action Network and Free Press
In March 2009, President Barack Obama named Jones to be his so-called “green jobs czar.”

Has been a senior fellow with the Center for American Progress

[...]

Recalling his brief incarceration, Jones says:

“I met all these young radical people of color. I mean really radical: communists and anarchists. And it was, like, ‘This is what I need to be a part of.’ I spent the next ten years of my life working with a lot of those people I met in jail, trying to be a revolutionary.”

Soon after the riots, Jones wrote an essay wherein he said:

"Our moment had finally come! We were righteous, fired up, weren't takin' no more! We were one thousand strong on Market Street, with the Bay Bridge shut down in rush hour traffic and the grounds around the state building swarming with angry mobs! Our rallying cry was for justice; our demand was that the System be changed! Yes, the Great Revolutionary Moment had at long last come. And the time, clearly, was ours! So we stole stuff. Y'know, stole stuff. Radios, tennis shoes. Well, not everybody, of course."

I bet you love two other dear friends of Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama, Communist Bill Ayers and his wife Communist Bernardine Dohrn.
Democrats lost rust belt voters, image problems Bill_ayers_011-1  Democrats lost rust belt voters, image problems Bernardine_dohrn1-1

Last edited by Markle on 12/9/2016, 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Telstar

Telstar

Communists are out this year, fascists like Trump and the goose stepping idiots that voted for him are in this year.

Democrats lost rust belt voters, image problems Trump_21

Markle

Markle

Telstar wrote:Communists are out this year, fascists like Trump and the goose stepping idiots that voted for him are in this year.

Yeah, I thought so. "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

Telstar

Telstar

Markle wrote:
Telstar wrote:Communists are out this year, fascists like Trump and the goose stepping idiots that voted for him are in this year.

Yeah, I thought so.  "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

I'm sure you divorced yourself from the truth long, long ago. lol!

Markle

Markle

Telstar wrote:
Markle wrote:

Still...you have NOTHING. Surprise...surprise!

Why are you afraid of my threads?  Can't think for yourself?

Telstar

Telstar

Markle wrote:
Telstar wrote:
Markle wrote:

Still...you have NOTHING.  Surprise...surprise!

Why are you afraid of my threads?  Can't think for yourself?

Why should I fear your threads? They may sting at first but after a few they are more fun than novocaine. Laughing

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

From Wikipedia...hmmmm...written and edited by...Van Jones.

Are you questioning any of the awards or honors he received?

You won't have to stomach to read the FACTS but I'll provide a source for you anyway.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=2406

Excerpts....

Became a Communist in the aftermath of the 1992 "Rodney King riots" in Los Angeles

Founded the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights in 1996

Here is a link to the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights if you have the stomach to read about it. http://ellabakercenter.org/our-work

Was active in the anti-Iraq War demonstrations organized by International ANSWER

Suspected that the Bush administration "may indeed have deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen, perhaps as a pretext for war"

Served as a board member of the Rainforest Action Network

OOHH, working to preserve the rainforest, so subversive!!! From their website:
Rainforest Action Network runs hard-hitting campaigns to break North America’s fossil fuels addiction, protect endangered forests and Indigenous rights, and stop destructive investments around the world through education, grassroots organizing, and non-violent direct action.

RAN fights for people and planet by working at the intersection of three core issues:

Preserving Rainforests;
Protecting the Climate; and
Defending Human Rights.
And, unlike any other organization, RAN does this through the lens of corporate accountability. So what does that mean?

That means RAN tackles some of the biggest corporations, banks, and global institutions on the planet. Traditionally, RAN works closely with local leaders to launch strategic corporate campaigns employing tactics such as

high-profile, direct communication and public awareness campaigns;
peaceful direct actions against our targets;
coordinated media and social media campaigns;
highly researched and detailed reports;
grassroots organizing;
and high-level negotiations — and relentless follow-up to make sure promises are kept.
RAN takes on these campaigns not to change the behavior of individual companies, but to change the practices and business culture of whole industrial sectors.

And we get results.

Since 1985, RAN has been one of the most effective and innovative activist organizations in the United States. We partner with local, indigenous and frontline communities to create smart campaigns that exert pressure and extract actionable policies from corporate culprits responsible for rainforest destruction, massive pollution, and pushing species toward extinction. And RAN demands that human rights, labor rights, and local and indigenous rights are fundamental to any new corporate policies.

But we cannot do any of this without our supporters. We depend on people like you all across the globe to preserve rainforests, protect the climate and defend human rights today.

Watch 30 Years of Rainforest Action Network to learn more about what we do and why we do it.

https://www.cheerfulgiving.com/organization/rainforest-action-network?gclid=CjwKEAiAyanCBRDkiO6M_rDroH0SJAAfZ4KL6lYpHp5V2SfW832GVQQwcZm6km98hXJlnyH2LOlm4xoClvzw_wcB

and Free Press
In March 2009, President Barack Obama named Jones to be his so-called “green jobs czar.”

Has been a senior fellow with the Center for American Progress

[...]

Recalling his brief incarceration, Jones says:

Reading this line about his "brief incarceration" one is led to believe that he was charged, tried and convicted of something and  imprisoned, when in fact: Although the charges against Jones were dropped, Jones said that while in jail, "I met all these young radical people of color — I mean really radical, communists and anarchists. And it was, like, 'This is what I need to be a part of.' I spent the next 10 years of my life working with a lot of those people I met in jail, trying to be a revolutionary."
“I met all these young radical people of color. I mean really radical: communists and anarchists. And it was, like, ‘This is what I need to be a part of.’ I spent the next ten years of my life working with a lot of those people I met in jail, trying to be a revolutionary.”

Soon after the riots, Jones wrote an essay wherein he said:

"Our moment had finally come! We were righteous, fired up, weren't takin' no more! We were one thousand strong on Market Street, with the Bay Bridge shut down in rush hour traffic and the grounds around the state building swarming with angry mobs! Our rallying cry was for justice; our demand was that the System be changed! Yes, the Great Revolutionary Moment had at long last come. And the time, clearly, was ours! So we stole stuff. Y'know, stole stuff. Radios, tennis shoes. Well, not everybody, of course."

I bet you love two other dear friends of Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama, Communist Bill Ayers and his wife Communist Bernardine Dohrn.
Democrats lost rust belt voters, image problems Bill_ayers_011-1  Democrats lost rust belt voters, image problems Bernardine_dohrn1-1

I admire Jones for his views on civil rights and his desire to preserve the environment, his work on mitigating climate change. I think he has a lot to contribute. I think it would be throwing the baby out with the bath water to say we shouldn't use his energy and insight and organizational skills because of a rather brief and extreme period in his political development. I mean even Ronald Reagan was a leader of a union back in the day and his views evolved over time. I think we would be wise to not dismiss people like Jones in this over the top way you have of making a big deal out of a situation that no longer exists.

I swear, if Trump suddenly or even gradually changed his actions and started putting policies into place that truly improved the condition of workers and the middle class, made health care better and less expensive for everyone, revealed his income tax records and divested himself of all of his enterprises I would be the first one applauding his actions. I would not hold his current situation against him but would welcome him to the community of caring individuals. What are the chances of any of those things happening? I don't know but people do change or see a better way of accomplishing their goals. I think that's what happened to Jones. BTW his actual title in the Obama Administration was special adviser for green jobs at the Council on Environmental Quality. Here is an excerpt from an article by politifact that quotes some of Jones's writings.

But check out these two statements and see if this sounds like a communist.

This, from his book, The Green Collar Economy , released in October 2008:

"There will surely be an important role for nonprofit voluntary, cooperative, and community-based solutions," Jones writes on page 86. "But the reality is that we are entering an era during which our very survival will demand invention and innovation on a scale never before seen in the history of human civilization. Only the business community has the requisite skills, experience, and capital to meet that need. On that score, neither the government nor the nonprofit and voluntary sectors can compete, not even remotely.

"So in the end, our success and survival as a species are largely and directly tied to the new eco-entrepreneurs — and the success and survival of their enterprises. Since almost all of the needed eco-technologies are likely to come from the private sector, civic leaders and voters should do all that can be done to help green business leaders succeed. That means, in large part, electing leaders who will pass bills to aid them. We cannot realistically proceed without a strong alliance between the best of the business world — and everyone else."

Or how about this, from an address before the Center for American Progress on Nov. 19, 2008 (well before Jones was brought into the Obama administration):

"Everything that is good for the environment, everything that's needed to beat global warming, is a job," Jones said. "Solar panels don't manufacture themselves. Wind turbines don't manufacture themselves. Homes don't weatherize themselves. Every single thing that we need to beat global warming will also beat the recession. And the challenge is, how do we get the government to be a smart, and limited, catalyst in getting the private sector to take on this challenge?"

That doesn't sound Marxist to us.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/sep/08/glenn-beck/glenn-beck-says-van-jones-avowed-communist/

RealLindaL

othershoe1030 wrote:
I admire Jones for his views on civil rights and his desire to preserve the environment, his work on mitigating climate change. I think he has a lot to contribute. I think it would be throwing the baby out with the bath water to say we shouldn't use his energy and insight and organizational skills because of a rather brief and extreme period in his political development. I mean even Ronald Reagan was a leader of a union back in the day and his views evolved over time. I think we would be wise to not dismiss people like Jones in this over the top way you have of making a big deal out of a situation that no longer exists.

I swear, if Trump suddenly or even gradually changed his actions and started putting policies into place that truly improved the condition of workers and the middle class, made health care better and less expensive for everyone, revealed his income tax records and divested himself of all of his enterprises I would be the first one applauding his actions. I would not hold his current situation against him but would welcome him to the community of caring individuals. What are the chances of any of those things happening? I don't know but people do change or see a better way of accomplishing their goals. I think that's what happened to Jones. BTW his actual title in the Obama Administration was special adviser for green jobs at the Council on Environmental Quality. Here is an excerpt from an article by politifact that quotes some of Jones's writings.

But check out these two statements and see if this sounds like a communist.

This, from his book, The Green Collar Economy , released in October 2008:

"There will surely be an important role for nonprofit voluntary, cooperative, and community-based solutions," Jones writes on page 86. "But the reality is that we are entering an era during which our very survival will demand invention and innovation on a scale never before seen in the history of human civilization. Only the business community has the requisite skills, experience, and capital to meet that need. On that score, neither the government nor the nonprofit and voluntary sectors can compete, not even remotely.

"So in the end, our success and survival as a species are largely and directly tied to the new eco-entrepreneurs — and the success and survival of their enterprises. Since almost all of the needed eco-technologies are likely to come from the private sector, civic leaders and voters should do all that can be done to help green business leaders succeed. That means, in large part, electing leaders who will pass bills to aid them. We cannot realistically proceed without a strong alliance between the best of the business world — and everyone else."

Or how about this, from an address before the Center for American Progress on Nov. 19, 2008 (well before Jones was brought into the Obama administration):

"Everything that is good for the environment, everything that's needed to beat global warming, is a job," Jones said. "Solar panels don't manufacture themselves. Wind turbines don't manufacture themselves. Homes don't weatherize themselves. Every single thing that we need to beat global warming will also beat the recession. And the challenge is, how do we get the government to be a smart, and limited, catalyst in getting the private sector to take on this challenge?"

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/sep/08/glenn-beck/glenn-beck-says-van-jones-avowed-communist/

cheers cheers cheers

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

cheers cheers cheers

Thanks.

Markle

Markle

[quote="othershoe1030"][quote="Markle"]
othershoe1030 wrote:

You sure did skip many of the facts I posted from a reliable source.

Then you post something from Politifact, a source that has been proven to be a far left source.

How do you defend such a person as Van Jones? A Communist and fervent supporter of Cop Killers? How does one ignore his beliefs?

Telstar

Telstar

Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

You sure did skip many of the facts I posted from a reliable source.

Then you post something from Politifact, a source that has been proven to be a far left source.

How do you defend such a person as Van Jones?  A Communist and fervent supporter of Cop Killers?  How does one ignore his beliefs?

Seems they demand corrupt government.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum