Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I have a question about a palm tree

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

We planted one about 11 years ago from about a two to three foot height. It grew to about 9 feet and the palms began blocking the side stair case to the home. I decided to replace the stairs because they were falling apart as we had not had a chance to stain them since I got sick in 2008 and the sun just destroyed the treated lumber.

So I cut back the palm today, and expanded the side deck and stairs to the house. I cut the palm down to about one foot and will be screwing down deck boards this evening, but suddenly realized that the root structure of that palm is intake, and I am building the deck surface over the palm to get to the new stairs. Can a Palm tree grow after you have chopped it down to a stub of about a foot high? I do not want to come down next year and see palms growing through the floor.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

If you cut the trunk you may have destroyed the palm.

2seaoat

If you cut the trunk you may have destroyed the palm.

That was my intent, but I have seen other cut trees with an intact root system send sizeable sprouts which may adversely impact my deck over the same.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

When the guy clears your land ask him to pull the palm up.

Markle

Markle

Sago Palms grow pups around their base which will grow. I don't know of one that will sprout new growth after such a drastic cut.

You could ask about a screw that you drive into the trunk that kills it... I think they are made w copper.

I'm not sure if ringing a palm will work as with hard wood trees... but you could also salt the soil too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum