Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When will white working-class Trump voters see the scam?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-trump-white-working-class-scam-20161125-story.html

While we're still analyzing the election results and debating the importance of different factors to the final outcome, everyone agrees that white working-class voters played a key part in Donald Trump's victory, in some cases by switching their votes and in some cases by turning out when they had been non-voters before.

And now that he's about to take office, he's ready to deliver on what he promised them, right? Well, maybe not so much, according to The Washington Post's Karen Tumulty:

“President-elect Donald Trump abruptly abandoned some of his most tendentious campaign promises Tuesday, saying he does not plan to prosecute Hillary Clinton for her use of a private email system or the dealings of her family foundation, has an ‘open mind’ about a climate-change accord from which he vowed to withdraw the United States and is no longer certain that torturing terrorism suspects is a good idea.”

The billionaire real estate developer also dismissed any need to disentangle himself from his financial holdings, despite rising questions about how his global business dealings might affect his decision-making as the nation's chief executive.

Imagine you're one of those folks who went to Trump rallies and thrilled to his promises to take America back from the establishment, who felt your heart stir as he promised to torture prisoners, who was overjoyed to finally have a candidate who tells it like it is. What are you thinking as you watch this?

If you have any sense, you're coming to the realization that it was all a scam. You got played. While you were chanting “Lock her up!” he was laughing at you for being so gullible. While you were dreaming about how you'd have an advocate in the Oval Office, he was dreaming about how he could use it to make himself richer. He hasn't even taken office yet and everything he told you is already being revealed as a lie.

During the campaign, Trump made two kinds of promises to those white working-class voters. One was very practical, focused on economics. In coal country, he said he'd bring back all the coal jobs that have been lost to cheap natural gas (even as he promotes more fracking of natural gas; figure that one out). In the industrial Midwest, he said he'd bring back all the labor-intensive factory jobs that were mostly lost to automation, not trade deals. These promises were ludicrous, but most of the target voters seemed not to care.

The second kind of promise was emotional and expressive. It was about turning back the clock to a time when immigrants hadn't come to your town, when women weren't so uppity, when you could say whatever you wanted and you didn't feel like the culture and the economy were leaving you behind. So Trump said he'd toss Hillary Clinton in jail, force everyone to say “Merry Christmas” again and sue those dastardly liberal news organizations into submission.

And of course, there were promises — like building a wall on the southern border and making Mexico pay for it just so they know who's boss — that claimed to serve a practical purpose but also had an important expressive purpose. And now one by one Trump is casting them all off.

What remains is Trump's erratic whims, his boundless greed and the core of Republican policies Congress will pursue, which are most definitely not geared toward the interests of working-class whites.

Had Hillary Clinton won the election, the white working class might have gotten some tangible benefits — a higher minimum wage, overtime pay, paid family and medical leave, more secure health insurance and so on. Trump and the Republicans oppose all that. So what did the white working class actually get? They got the election itself. They got to give a big middle finger to the establishment, to the coastal elites, to immigrants, to feminists, to college students, to popular culture, to political correctness, to every person and impersonal force they see arrayed against them. And that was it.

What happens in two years when there's a congressional election and two years after that when Trump runs for a second term? Those voters may look around and say, Hey wait a minute. That paradise of infinite winning Trump promised? It didn't happen.

Or maybe Trump will find a way to actually improve the lives of working class voters. That's theoretically possible, but absolutely nothing he has done or said so far suggests that he has any idea how to do it, or even the inclination. So he may try to keep the fires of hatred, resentment and fear burning, in the hopes that people forget that he hasn't given them the practical things he said he would.

Washington Post

Paul Waldman is an American journalist and senior writer for The American Prospect, as well as a blogger for The Washington Post's Plum Line blog.

Copyright © 2016, Chicago Tribune

what do folks have to lose? Obama sure didn't help anyone but those willing to trade their votes for free stuff. Those of us working got tax increases and forced into buying/having UNAFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I think we look at this question in a logical way at our own peril. The working class voters who came out for Trump voted for him in spite of his public record of saying he thought workers were paid too much already. It was revealed that he had been sued for housing discrimination and for not paying trades people who did work on his properties. He obviously is a billionaire and part of the political donor class. He ran as a Republican while being called out by fellow party members as not being a true conservative. He has also been a registered Democrat and given to both major political parties. The only thing I can see in his history is his consistent focus on building his empire and making more money.

He is and always has been self serving with no clue about how most Americans live and work. Not even in office yet he is ignoring rules, guidelines, traditions and political etiquette of all types. In this way I guess you could say he is giving the middle finger to the "establishment" but how this helps Jill and Joe six-pack I do not know. If he continues in this style and I see no reason to think otherwise he will be running the country to his own personal benefit and for the benefit of his billionaire friends.

He personifies scam. He is not even trying to conceal his corruption. He has no regard for the office of President or for this country as far as I can see. He has not moderated his behavior since becoming the President Elect.  

Unfortunately, I think it will take a very long time for his voters to catch on. Ironically it is the very "coastal elite" political class that supports working people, unions, higher hourly wages, overtime pay, etc. To me, those are the people the majority of voters actually voted for. Those are the ones that could have done more for the middle and working class and they were seen as "the establishment". This in itself is ironic since corporations through lobbying have so much influence.

Maybe when people start getting thrown off their health insurance they will start to see the light? But so far this was an illogical election of emotion that is not cured by logic or reality for that matter.

Still, more people voted for Hillary than for him but of course they weren't in the right states so the ball is in his court.

RealLindaL

othershoe1030 wrote:Unfortunately, I think it will take a very long time for his voters to catch on.

Sad and scary but very likely true, I agree.

2seaoat

I am amazed at the Trump signs on business establishments in the south.  It is an unspoken rule in States which have about 50/50 constituents to stay clear of politics because it will harm your business, but like when I was a kid with the white only signs in restaurants, it has become obscene to see the same again.  The national chains would never even consider such a policy, so I doubt that white people care if they have been scammed as long as the narrative continues that some people are less than others.   A stupid, failed white person in the Trump world will always be a better person than an accomplished black, Muslim, or Mexican, and that is the part of the equation that White people in the north cannot comprehend as they question how did Trump scam white people to vote against their interests.......they just do not get it.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I am amazed at the Trump signs on business establishments in the south.  It is an unspoken rule in States which have about 50/50 constituents to stay clear of politics because it will harm your business, but like when I was a kid with the white only signs in restaurants, it has become obscene to see the same again.  The national chains would never even consider such a policy, so I doubt that white people care if they have been scammed as long as the narrative continues that some people are less than others.   A stupid, failed white person in the Trump world will always be a better person than an accomplished black, Muslim, or Mexican, and that is the part of the equation that White people in the north cannot comprehend as they question how did Trump scam white people to vote against their interests.......they just do not get it.

So...in your esteemed opinion, Donald Trump won a landslide victory because more whites voted for him. Do you know how foolish that even sounds?

When will white working-class Trump voters see the scam? Election%20Demographics%202016_zpsckacnlwz

2seaoat

My narrative is that a candidate for the United States President ran a fascist campaign which appealed to the frustrations of people to find scapegoats. There is nothing ridiculous about it, and history has proven it is a sure fire method to fool people. Today I saw a pickup on 98 with a huge confederate flag mounted on its bed, with a second yellow flag saying do not tread on men. The message is clear. Make America great again is dog whistle for some folks just are not equal. You are a POS fascist with no redeeming qualities, except maybe a comical idiocy which you are unable to comprehend. Evil has a signature.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum