Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

First Regular Passenger Airline Flights Between U.S. and Cuba in 55 Years Commenced November 28th

+2
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

First US commercial passenger flights to Havana, Cuba launched

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/first-us-commercial-passenger-flights-havana-cuba-launched?NL=AW-05&Issue=AW-05_20161129_AW-05_154&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_6&utm_rid=CPEN1000000902887&utm_campaign=7744&utm_medium=email&elq2=f2c0a876164a4dd79c1695784895a99e

It’s another milestone with flight from Miami to Havana

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article117455063.html

Will incoming President Trump put the newly-established diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Cuba back in the deep freeze? He hinted that he might.

Will Trump do this as U.S. businesses begin making money from the thawed relations?

I wonder what Part-Time Senator Marco Rubio thinks of U.S. airlines spring-boarding between Miami and Havana? Surely he is all for Florida making money off of Cuba..... I suppose he will stick his finger into the wind to see which way sentiment is going before he says anything......

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

First Regular Passenger Airline Flights Between U.S. and Cuba in 55 Years Commenced November 28th Havana10

http://cubaarchive.org/home/index.php

Cuba Archive’s Truth and Memory Project documents deaths and disappearances resulting from the Cuban revolution and studies transitional issues related to truth, memory and justice. This project seeks to help Cubans attain their rightful freedoms, foster a culture of respect for life and the rule of law, and honor the memory of those who’ve paid the highest price.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Of course, Pkrbm's video has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, which is the re-opening of commercial airline flights between Cuba and the United States--for the first time in 55 years.

I am sure cruise ships will follow. A post-Castro Cuba is going to eventually develop. Raul is getting old himself and eventually the government will change. Why not bring them back into the American sphere of influence?

2seaoat

I had a friend 15 years ago who ran for Libertarian governor of Illinois who regularly drove to Canada and took commercial flights to Cuba from Canada. They were reasonable priced tickets, and he did this for about five years without getting into any trouble.

HBO is running a special on Cuba right now which shows the utter disrepair and lack of investment in Havana for fifty years. The opportunities are unlimited and I would love to see a 90 mile bridge from the keys. The economic opportunities for American business is unlimited and tourist dollars can fund the infrastructure improvements so desperately needed after fifty years of economic sanctions.

gatorfan

Obama approached Cuba right, go slow - he realized there are a lot of issues that need to work themselves out. Perhaps Trump will continue that slow approach to progress. I hope so. The Cuban immigrants I deal with are intelligent and hard working. Cuba needs a lot of work but the current government is slowly moving in a positive direction. Supporting that slow transition away from single party rule is the smart move.

Besides I've been to Gitmo and would like to see the whole country some day.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

gatorfan wrote:Obama approached Cuba right, go slow - he realized there are a lot of issues that need to work themselves out. Perhaps Trump will continue that slow approach to progress. I hope so. The Cuban immigrants I deal with are intelligent and hard working. Cuba needs a lot of work but the current government is slowly moving in a positive direction. Supporting that slow transition away from single party rule is the smart move.

Besides I've been to Gitmo and would like to see the whole country some day.

I stand with you on this!!!

cheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheers

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The next diplomatic coup will be opening a diplomatic mission in Teheran. If Trump could pull that off, he would peel Iran away from the Russian orbit, and the Iranian people would become more pro-American than they already quietly are. Too many of them came to America in the 1970s for training and they all remember how life in the U.S. really is. It would bring petrodollars home as they sought American goods and (yes) military hardware (just don't sell them the really good stuff we give to Israel).

And, if they were more cordial with us, we could move that carrier battle group somewhere else, like nearer to the East China Sea.

2seaoat

The Cuban immigrants I deal with are intelligent and hard working.

I saw a Cuban immigrant kid in 1976 who was 18 and had left Cuba after Castro took over, graduate from high school and run a bore grinding machine with the Borg Warner Corporation. I watched him become a foreman. I watched him become a super. I watched him move to corporate where Emerson Electric bought the division from Borg Warner where he was managing two plants. One in Illinois, and one in Mexico. He just retired from his job at 58, and paid for his parish priest who was originally from Colombia to spend a month back in Colombia with his family. I had hooked him on golf and got him to join the Borg warner golf league over 40 years ago, and met his parish priest before their trip, and he proudly said, Seaoat taught me to golf......a more perfect American success story cannot be found. Cuba has huge agricultural trade opportunities where our grain products can be traded for sugar, fruits and vegetables as both nations can prosper. I am excited about common sense replacing empty political rhetoric. The ills of this nation will not be cured over night, but a more intelligent a beautiful people can rarely be found.

If it's really about the people then you have to take on their govt... that's who is perpetrating the wrong... not us or our values or conceding to Castrol. Unless you are exerting pressure for him to change... nothing changes.

2seaoat

If it's really about the people then you have to take on their govt... that's who is perpetrating the wrong... not us or our values or conceding to Castrol. Unless you are exerting pressure for him to change... nothing changes.

The wrong being perpetrated is not us or our values......Pk you are too intelligent to just gloss over history. We talk about the criminal act of Russia just taking Crimea from the Ukraine, yet a little over a hundred years ago we just took a part of Cuba from them. We supported repressive governments throughout Latin America to repress the people and pander to the landed Oligarchy which Castro's father was a part. Castro even as a student rejected the communist as too extreme, and modeled his revolution after earlier Cuban revolutions freeing the people and fighting the Oligarchies death grip on land in the nation. It was only after his repeated attempts to get American support and loans to make a more moderate reform of the Batista abuses, that he turned to the Soviet Union and the communist model. His brother Raul and Che at a very early stage pushed the Cuban revolution to communism, but Fidel knew that he needed to bring in the moderates to sustain real change in Cuba.....when they started to try to kill him, he became more entrenched in the ideology of his brother and che.

So, we can argue how long after the abuses of a Government entrenched in communist ideology we must wait to have full trade relations, but Viet Nam and China glare at the hypocrisy of this stance and laugh. The people with economic sanctions are the only people who suffer, and a government which can create a foreign threat solidifies its control over the people. Fifty year old mistakes have to come to an end. Let the mutually beneficial trade begin, and let the wounds be healed. We have a history of imperialism where to discount our wrong in what happened to the Cuban people is to look at only one half of an equation.

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:If it's really about the people then you have to take on their govt... that's who is perpetrating the wrong... not us or our values or conceding to Castrol. Unless you are exerting pressure for him to change... nothing changes.

The 50+ year deep freeze type of pressure did NOTHING. It just didn't work. We are trying something different, and I'm with gatorfan in thinking that a slow increase in commerce and discussion is not only wise, but may end up doing wonders over the long haul. Why not try it? If we fail, we fail. Nothing ventured.

Look, there are still Jews who see commerce with Germany or the purchase of German products as a betrayal of those who were murdered under Hitler. It's completely understandable, but isolating or sanctioning present day Germany wouldn't do any good, either, other than to assuage the emotions of those who stand on principle, whether or not it moves people or the world forward in good ways.

Yes, I realize there are great differences here; Germany, after all, is not currently a repressive communist regime. Still, that doesn't change the fact that when something in international relations (especially with such a very near neighbor!!) doesn't work for 50 years, it's time to re-examine and have the courage to attempt a significant change.

Things were and are changing. Russia isn't aiding as much... Venezuela has crashed... there were cracks emerging (just like Iran under sanctions). The people earn piddly squat... and the Castro's are worth a billion dollars. There's no objective reason to infuse their economy... that profit won't go to the people.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:First US commercial passenger flights to Havana, Cuba launched

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/first-us-commercial-passenger-flights-havana-cuba-launched?NL=AW-05&Issue=AW-05_20161129_AW-05_154&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_6&utm_rid=CPEN1000000902887&utm_campaign=7744&utm_medium=email&elq2=f2c0a876164a4dd79c1695784895a99e

It’s another milestone with flight from Miami to Havana

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article117455063.html
Will incoming President Trump put the newly-established diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Cuba back in the deep freeze? He hinted that he might.

Will Trump do this as U.S. businesses begin making money from the thawed relations?

I wonder what Part-Time Senator Marco Rubio thinks of U.S. airlines spring-boarding between Miami and Havana? Surely he is all for Florida making money off of Cuba..... I suppose he will stick his finger into the wind to see which way sentiment is going before he says anything......

I fervently hope that President Elect Donald Trump halts trade with Cuba until it provides a free, open market for the people, capitalism.

Money now going to Cuba goes to the Cuban government and the worker is paid, by the government, in Cuban money a rate of $20.00 per month.

2seaoat

It most certainly will benefit the Cuban People. The HBO special is talking about rebuilding of Havana with massive foreign investment. Construction will create modern hotels with ample service jobs and short term construction. My biggest hope is for increase agricultural trade because Pensacola was the largest trading port with Cuba before the revolution. It could possibly mean jobs in the panhandle, but realistically NO and Mobile would probably get the largest share of grain shipments. Massive cheap fruits and vegetables especially in winter months could be a home run for both countries. Being that I am in Cat, John Deere, and Navastar country, it would be great to have an aid package which modernizes their ag industry with something other than military hardware. It could create more manufacturing jobs, and create a vibrant fruit and vegetable trade which is a win win. I am especially curious if the bio fuels success of Brazil can carry over and allow us to import a percentage of our alcohol without the costly conversion of food to fuel with the present ethanol subsidy. There is so much potential of getting the fricking war mongers out of the equation.

2seaoat

I fervently hope that President Elect Donald Trump halts trade with Cuba until it provides a free, open market for the people, capitalism.

Money now going to Cuba goes to the Cuban government and the worker is paid, by the government, in Cuban money a rate of $20.00 per month.

It is this pawn of the oligarchy and Mic who said nothing about trade with North Viet Nam where less than those same fifty years we had an economic embargo on Cuba, fifty thousand Americans were killed by the North Vietnamese.

Also, crickets about the current Chinese government and our massive trade with China.

What an immoral low IQ slug who gets paid to spam forums all over the state of Florida.......Please just admit you have not the first idea about trade and its positive impact on the economic well being of both countries when it is conducted fairly and where systemic comparative advantage works. You give an example of our horrible imperialistic economic war on the Cuban people as a basis to continue this injustice. You are simply idiotic. Hey, though I heard after President Trump is in the White House that the FBI is going to convene a grand jury. Please quit posting about things you know nothing about, or at least put a disclaimer at the bottom of your posts......warning senile immoral old man posting.

Warmongers? Wtf are you talking about? Did you forget what the topic was again? Poor old fool.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:I fervently hope that President Elect Donald Trump halts trade with Cuba until it provides a free, open market for the people, capitalism.

LOL! I fervently hope President Donald Trump does the smart thing and furthers the diplomatic gains initiated by President Obama. Gatorfan has it spot-on, and I must say, I fully expected Lame Dork poster Markle to provide an archaic position on the issue of Cuba.

I guess the Lame Dork does not want the State of Florida to benefit from the improved relations with Cuba. Too bad!!

2seaoat

Warmongers? Wtf are you talking about? Did you forget what the topic was again? Poor old fool.

No, I at least know who is responsible for creating Castro the communist. Look in the mirror where you see no fault in America and the policies of our imperialistic government in the fifties where we overthrew a democracy in Iran, and had forty years of overthrowing democracies in Latin America to put puppets in power for the Oligarchy to pad the way for multinational corporations to rape the people of those countries. I did my thesis on Latin American common markets and the breadth of your ignorance is only matched by two other posters on this forum. The embargo including on travel was a misguided attempt by the Oligarchy to put another corrupt puppet in Cuba.......let me put this in terms you can understand.....watch Godfather II. See, I can always help a brother in need.

Telstar

Telstar

2seaoat wrote:

I did my thesis on Latin American common markets and the breadth of your ignorance is only matched by two other posters on this forum.   The embargo including on travel was a misguided attempt by the Oligarchy to put another corrupt puppet in Cuba.......let me put this in terms you can understand.....watch Godfather II.  See, I can always help a brother in need.

"This is the business we've chosen." Hyman Roth.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum