Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tech Show Attendees Marvel At Smart Gun That Won’t Fire If User’s Finger Is Wet

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

One of my far left Progressive good friends here sincerely believes all guns should be equipped with this "feature".

I guess that would help their cause to ban all guns, lots more people would be dead.

Tech Show Attendees Marvel At Smart Gun That Won’t Fire If User’s Finger Is Wet

by AWR HAWKINS8 Oct 2016355

email address
SUBMIT
The 2016 International San Francisco Smart Gun Symposium was abuzz this week with a smart gun that will not fire if the authorized user’s finger is wet.
The gun is a Glock 22 which 19-year-old Kai Kloepfer altered by embedding a chip to read fingerprints. The fingerprint reader is akin to those found on iphones–which also won’t unlock the phone if the user’s finger is wet.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Kloepfer was first motivated to design the smart gun after seeing news of James Holmes’ July 2012 attack on the Aurora movie theater. But Kloepfer admits his smart gun would not have prevented that attack, as Holmes purchased all his guns legally–via background checks–and would, therefore, be the authorized user of a Glock 22 with a fingerprint reader.

Kloepfer’s smart gun is called “Biofire” and he expects to have “a live-firing prototype” in a few months. He has already won a grant from the Smart Tech Challenges Foundation and the support of Ron Conway, an investor “known for his early-stage backing of Google, Facebook and Airbnb.”

But Kloepfer’s smart gun does not fire if the authorized user’s finger is wet. Moreover, even when it does fire, the cycle from locked to ready to fire takes one and half seconds. One and half seconds is an eternity for an elderly person under duress or a single mom being charged by a gang of invaders in her own home. Kloepfer showed the WSJ that if he dries his finger–by rubbing it back and forth on his pants–he is able to get a good read and the gun will unlock. So that’s a couple of seconds drying the finger plus the one and the half seconds it takes to unlock the gun once the fingerprint is read. This is smart gun technology?

WSJ asked Kloepfer if the fingerprint reader will work if the authorized user is wearing gloves or his fingers are dirty. The response was that “the first Biofire model is designed for home users, who don’t often encounter these issues.” Hmmmm. So now we have a smart gun that will not work if fingers are wet and is not designed for the possibly of gloves or dirty hands?

The people at the Smart Gun Symposium were still excited about it.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/10/08/tech-show-attendees-marvel-smart-gun-wont-fire-finger-wet/

Persons pursuing either their sales associate and broker's license must be fingerprinted. Now they are all taken on a pad like you see on TV. About 20% of those taken are rejected by the FBI. Some people's hands are too dry and some have very thin prints and are difficult to read.

YET ANOTHER proposed "SOLUTION" by Progressives with all the good intentions in the world and complete failures in real life.

2seaoat

YET ANOTHER proposed "SOLUTION" by Progressives with all the good intentions in the world and complete failures in real life.

They will work. I had a fingerprint log in on my computer for five years. It never failed. A simple 3 digit bypass could be pressed in less than two seconds. The police officer who was just shot by a mentally ill perp would be alive today if the gun he had was first subject to a background check, and if he was an unauthorized user, it never would have worked with bio triggers. I bet you did not think virtual tours in real estate would not work because it did not show the crack in the ceramic tile behind the toilet. Stupid is what stupid does.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:YET ANOTHER proposed "SOLUTION" by Progressives with all the good intentions in the world and complete failures in real life.

They will work. I had a fingerprint log in on my computer for five years. It never failed. A simple 3 digit bypass could be pressed in less than two seconds. The police officer who was just shot by a mentally ill perp would be alive today if the gun he had was first subject to a background check, and if he was an unauthorized user, it never would have worked with bio triggers. I bet you did not think virtual tours in real estate would not work because it did not show the crack in the ceramic tile behind the toilet. Stupid is what stupid does.

Fails at the tech show.

Where do they put a keypad on a gun?

You're the only person I've ever heard who never had a problem with a fingerprint pad on their computer.

All the issues were pointed out to you which you conveniently ignored.

I was using panoramic photos and then visual tours long before others started in my area. I was also among the first to add the website of the public MLS to all my advertising and on my business cards. I was one of the first to have my own comprehensive website which was getting 6-7,000 views a month.

In 1981 I bought a car radio for $6,000 (nice write-off) which looked like a "tan Princess telephone" mounted over the hump in front of the seat. The electronics were in a suitcase size aluminum case in my trunk with a 3/4" cable running to the phone.

I stayed in the top 5% to 10% of our association by taking advice and going to courses and attending conventions in Florida and national conventions across the country. All tax deductible.

Went through the chairs as an officer of our assn and President. District VP in the state association and an approved instructor for all pre and post licensing along with for the state and national associations.

The list goes on. I worked hard and was one of the best. I gave back and shared my expertise with both my own associates and others.

2seaoat

Never had a problem, and registered five of my fingers and two of my wife's fingers. I think the company was digital persona.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DigitalPersona-U.are.U-Fingerprint-Reader/37517586?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=37517586&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=855ef9cf-54f0-4d33-9d87-6706a2c008c4&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=29222616&parent_anchor_item_id=29222616&guid=a7a1e41d-8819-4cdc-a042-ce43284abdb0&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

The key with a firearm is to have a three digit code as a bypass to the biometric trigger. The smart firearm is going to be the next big thing as parents and elderly do not want kids or bad guys to get their guns. Nothing but good things coming in gun safety.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum