Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY: “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

2seaoat

I have never thought of it as a scrotum. With all those chemicals in the water and all the males carrying conceal and carrying......I thought scrotums might be a short story. I think of this beautiful natural area rich with history who allowed their people to be poisoned and adversely impacting the entire region's IQ. I remember I could smell Birmingham from thirty miles away......the pollution was so thick on some days you could not breathe, and it was no surprise when my Grandfather died of Lung cancer. No Pensacola was an amazing place two hundred years ago which in some sense has become the canary in the mine. Armpit.....maybe, but what man did to the beaches and the environment, and the children cannot be forgiven. Maybe it was the turpentine business, or the chemical plants, but as much as I write to irritate and be a dick, there still remains some basic truth which does explain a great deal.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I have never thought of it as a scrotum.   With all those chemicals in the water and all the males carrying conceal and carrying......I thought scrotums might be a short story.  I think of this beautiful natural area rich with history who allowed their people to be poisoned and adversely impacting the entire region's IQ.  I remember I could smell Birmingham from thirty miles away......the pollution was so thick on some days you could not breathe, and it was no surprise when my Grandfather died of Lung cancer.   No Pensacola was an amazing place two hundred years ago which in some sense has become the canary in the mine.   Armpit.....maybe, but what man did to the beaches and the environment, and the children cannot be forgiven.  Maybe it was the turpentine business, or the chemical plants, but as much as I write to irritate and be a dick, there still remains some basic truth which does explain a great deal.

What can we say, when you're right you're right. If only Pensacola could have remained free of pollution like northern cities. lol

2seaoat

free of pollution like northern cities. lol

Yankee ingenuity........reversing the flow of a river to make the most beautiful city in the world.......you are right.......

Hallmarkgard

[img]NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 YJ4NszM[/img]

Damn... I guess Oats is right.... Moving to Detroit next week ....

2seaoat

I have been to Detroit.....it really is beautiful. Folks need to show pictures of Detroit to reinforce the idea that having four bathrooms was a good idea......it is a poker play which clearly indicates not enough beer was consumed.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I have been to Detroit.....it really is beautiful.  Folks need to show pictures of Detroit

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 31112874fb9919e4313a33071b2d2ce6

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 800px-Dharavi_Slum

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 Urbanized_dharavi1

This is the one with four bathrooms

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 297373423_e403f1ddfe

This one also had four bathrooms

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 D78d65f166e827823d57056a36353652

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 Detroit

2seaoat

For somebody who has been there, you sure drank too much of that Pensacola water to know that one of your photos is a forgery......but heck the four bathroom crowd tries to blame detroit's demise on black leadership not the decline of the auto industry which reduced the population of the city by 70%....splendid dog whistle Bob.......show me a Harvard picture with a photo of Pensacola Junior College and tell me about it being Harvard.....too funny.....drink some more water.

Hallmarkgard

LOL  No.... Bobs posts are perfect !!!!!!  Very hard to tell the difference from the Slums of Rio and Detroit..  You just cant handle the truth...I guess it was us damn Crackers that caused the demise of Detroit...LOL ps 2 of his photos are of Rio, not one...

Hallmarkgard

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/08/17/us/detroit-decline.html?_r=0

Tensions between the races have been high since the 1940s, when Southern blacks began moving to Detroit in search of work at automobile factories, said Mr. Boyle, the historian.

As the migration of blacks who swept into Detroit became especially intense, middle-class whites began moving to the newly built suburbs. But violent 1967 riots turned this stream into a torrent.

"It’s really hard to overstate how deep the fear was, on both sides of the color line," Mr. Boyle said.

And after the riots, Detroit failed to bounce back, Mr. Boyle said. Businesses followed their customers. Thousands of houses were abandoned as the city’s population plunged.

"In some cities like Chicago, Boston and maybe New York, people say to themselves, 'I want to be in this neighborhood where I grew up, where my grandparents live or where my synagogue is' — that really roots people in place," he said. "Detroit didn't work that way."

During the 1950s, the city lost 363,000 white residents while it gained 182,000 black residents. In 1950, the population was 16 percent black, and by the time of the 1967 riot it had grown to a third. Today, about 82 percent of the city's population is black.

The Rev. Charles Williams II, who leads the Detroit chapter of the National Action Network, said little had been done to ease tensions. Those strained relations have hindered the city's efforts toward economic progress.

"Race has basically been used as a tool to pit people against each other," he said. "There's a sincere, in-depth hate. Folks in the city have been taught to not trust those in the suburbs. Folks in the suburbs don't trust those in the city."

RELATED
5 Days in 1967 Still Shake Detroit
Shortcomings of Leadership

Mayor Coleman A. Young of Detroit at an event in 1980. Richard Sheinwald/Associated Press

The financial crisis facing Detroit was decades in the making, caused in part by a trail of missteps, suspected corruption and inaction. Here is a sampling of some city leaders who trimmed too little, too late and, rather than tackling problems head on, hoped that deep-rooted structural problems would turn out to be cyclical downturns.

Charles E. Bowles, backed by the Ku Klux Klan, was in office for seven months in 1930 before people demanded his removal. His ascension to the mayor's office was followed by a spike in crime, and he was suspected to be linked to some of Detroit's underworld figures, according to “Detroit: A Biography" by Scott Martelle. "The stories of gangland feuds and killings were diversions from the deeper agony that spread across Detroit in the 1930s," Mr. Martelle wrote. "Unemployment was high and deep poverty endemic."

Edward Jeffries, who served as mayor from 1940 to 1948, developed the Detroit Plan, which involved razing 100 blighted acres and preparing the land for redevelopment. The area sat vacant for several years, and the 7,000 black residents who were displaced moved to neighboring areas where whites, in turn, left. Rather than ending blight, the project simply redistributed it.

Albert Cobo was considered a candidate of the wealthy and of the white during his tenure from 1950 to 1957. He declined federal money for housing projects and facilitated the construction of freeways. Highways were being built across the country that encouraged suburbanization, but while the rest of the nation was expanding, Detroit's population was shrinking as people used the newly built roadways to leave.

Coleman A. Young was seen as a divisive figure in the 20 years he served as mayor. He won his first mayoral election in 1973, largely on the promise to ease tension between the police and black residents. But while many blacks saw him as a hero who pledged to fight crime, some whites felt he wasn't looking out for their interests. Mr. Young seemingly breezed to second, third and fourth terms without making the expected bridge-building racial appeals. Isabel Wilkerson, writing in The New York Times in 1989, said the mayor, running in a city in which 70 percent of the voters were black, seemed "to revel in the sort of polarization that other politicians dread." Though Mr. Young was credited with revitalizing the waterfront, the rest of downtown was often compared to a war zone, with neighborhoods crumbling, businesses boarded up and poverty remaining high.

Kwame M. Kilpatrick, who led Detroit from 2001 to 2008, was nicknamed the "hip-hop mayor" when first elected at 31, in part for his larger-than-life persona, flashy suits and the diamond stud in his ear. He brought new attractions to the city’s riverfront and much-needed business investment downtown, but he also increased the city’s debt obligations to fill budget gaps. After a series of scandals he resigned in 2008 and pleaded guilty later that year to obstruction of justice charges, served four months in jail and was ordered to pay $1 million to the city. He was behind bars two years later for hiding assets from the court, and in October he was sentenced to 28 years in prison after he was found guilty of racketeering, fraud and extortion.

Dave Bing, a former professional basketball star, took office in 2009 pledging to solve Detroit’s fiscal problems, which by then were already overwhelming. During his term, there were numerous announcements of cuts to the city’s work force, efforts to fill annual budget deficits and urgent calls for sacrifices from labor groups. Then in March the state appointed Kevyn D. Orr, a veteran lawyer, as an emergency manager to oversee the city’s operations, rendering Mr. Bing virtually powerless. Mr. Bing announced in May that he would not run for re-election. And in November Mike Duggan, a former hospital executive who campaigned with the backing of Detroit’s business leaders, was elected mayor.

The tax burden became untenable too and the city began making public service contracts and pensions out of their means. The auto industry suffered similar issues with the unions... the city literally ate the golden goose. It was slow suicide.

Hallmarkgard

It is really pathetic that  people from a shit hole city like Detroit have the nerve to say ANYTHING about a city in the south!!  Yet people do it.   Then they get pissed when you dare to show them their short comings.  Too damn funny  Carry on...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Interior of Detroit Lions stadium

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 20141230115144-e30f060c-cu_s9999x200

2seaoat

I can see the stellar logic of folks who drank Pensacola water for a lifetime......no doubt in my mind.......worst water in the nation......low IQ.....why do you have to live outside the area having not drank that much water to see the problem? Does anybody doubt the historic poor performance of Escambia County Children on national tests?

Hallmarkgard

Not me or my children. You are aware that the west side of escambia county doesn't use Ecua water.

2seaoat

Not me or my children. You are aware that the west side of escambia county doesn't use Ecua water.

Well I doubt that Pace gets it's water from ECUA, but the results are strikingly similar. Have you ever visited the WalMart in Pace? Even you cannot argue that there is some kind of environmental cluster which has impacted the area.

Folks in Gulf Breeze and Navarre somehow are beyond the cluster and their schools reflect the same.

Hallmarkgard

I would suspect Air Products before I would the water

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is what's left of the Pace First Baptist Church which is directly down wind of Air Products.

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 Church10

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:This is what's left of the Pace First Baptist Church which is directly down wind of Air Products.

NORTHWEST FLORIDA HISTORY:  “We feel compelled to warn our readers about this crank in Apalachicola who thinks he can make ice as good as the Lord Almighty.” –New York Globe - Page 3 Church10

Dammit....I need to travel to Pace more often.

Hallmarkgard

"Dammit....I need to travel to Pace more often"

Just dont drink the water....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum