Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy 4th Weekend

+4
RealLindaL
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Happy 4th Weekend Empty Happy 4th Weekend 7/1/2016, 7:31 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Will be with my grandkids.

Oops....3 are missing!
Happy 4th Weekend Fb_img11

2Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/1/2016, 7:38 am

2seaoat

The future is bright for this country. Beautiful kids and to think we bounce through life never knowing real pleasure until we get to be old farts and are blessed with grandchildren. I get the granddaughters coming on Saturday, after we had them last weekend......they are at the perfect age where they think grandparents are cool, and their friends are not yet more important. If I am feeling better, they have asked to go fishing. The grandson will sit all day fishing because he has caught a catfish with his grandmother, but when I have fished with the girls they get bored in about five minutes.

3Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/1/2016, 8:13 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:The future is bright for this country.   Beautiful kids and to think we bounce through life never knowing real pleasure until we get to be old farts and are blessed with grandchildren.   I get the granddaughters coming on Saturday, after we had them last weekend......they are at the perfect age where they think grandparents are cool, and their friends are not yet more important.  If I am feeling better, they have asked to go fishing.  The grandson will sit all day fishing because he has caught a catfish with his grandmother, but when I have fished with the girls they get bored in about five minutes.
of course they do. Take a picnic lunch.

4Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/1/2016, 11:03 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

My neighbors will break-out all of the illegal fireworks that they purchased over in Alabama, and make a big mess out in the street.

What is bad is that they launch full-size rockets from the middle of the cul-de-sac, and this activity is just too close to houses to safely do.

A potential fireworks accident can easily spoil the holiday fun. One does not like to find bottle rockets on their roof or floating in their pool, either.

Yes, I am a 4th of July Scrooge....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

5Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/1/2016, 12:28 pm

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:My neighbors will break-out all of the illegal fireworks that they purchased over in Alabama, and make a big mess out in the street.

What is bad is that they launch full-size rockets from the middle of the cul-de-sac, and this activity is just too close to houses to safely do.

A potential fireworks accident can easily spoil the holiday fun. One does not like to find bottle rockets on their roof or floating in their pool, either.

Yes, I am a 4th of July Scrooge....

Z-man, I'm right there with you on the fireworks.   Here on the beach it's more vacationers than neighbors doing the dirty work but it's a royal pain and it already started several nights ago -- and will likely last for several nights past the 4th.  

I, too, hate having them go off near my house and listening to the shower of pieces landing on our roof -- fortunately this hasn't happened since one particular family moved out.

But the thing that gripes me the most is when people shoot off fireworks right on the Gulf beaches.   This is just peachy keen wonderful right in the middle of sea turtle nesting season -- not to mention endangered shorebird nesting, which sometimes happens right down here in the neighborhoods, not just in the National Seashore areas.   Makes me want to ring their stupid necks!

To add insult to injury, they leave their crappy burnt out sparklers and rocket wrappers down on the white sands.   JERKS.  

__Scrooge #2    
P.S.  If I had any grandchildren to visit with me, I'd doubtless be a lot happier on the 4th -- but I still wouldn't let them shoot off fireworks.  Smile

Last edited by RealLindaL on 7/2/2016, 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo, of course.)

6Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/1/2016, 8:55 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Our fireworks consists of watching the fireworks display.

7Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/1/2016, 9:19 pm

2seaoat

My son was deathly afraid of fireworks as a child.   He was born on June 21st and we had a 1955 Chris Craft which I restored taking two weeks vacation to sand caulk and restore the boat.  We kept the boat on a lake at my brother in laws lake house.   We went up with the two week old baby who joined us for a boat ride.......well dicks were shooting fireworks over out boat, and we decided to go back to the house to watch the fireworks later that night, but we believe the loud noises impacted his fear of fireworks.    His sons share those fears.   It would get quite embarassing for him when he got to be about 13 because the noises still really bothered him, so I would walk him back away from the fireworks and we would just wait to they ended.....he is an adult now, and still is bothered by loud noises.   Do not tell me a child in war torn areas of this world are not scarred for life.....the folks shooting bottle rockets and fireworks over the boat thought they were just having fun......it was not fun for us, and if I did not have a child in the boat where I had to remove the boat from the danger, I probably would have been in jail.

http://boats.oodle.com/detail/1955-chris-craft-continental-in-buford-ga/4254950892-buford-ga/

8Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/1/2016, 9:43 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Love that boat!

9Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/2/2016, 12:18 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Linda, tourists who insensitively blow-off illegal fireworks on the beach during turtle season should be reported to the Sherriff’s substation located out there, plain and simple.

Here is what I would like the FDLE do: Park an unmarked car outside the exit of the parking lot of that big fireworks store located at the Wilcox exit in Baldwin County just west of the State line. Sneak someone into the parking lot wearing a bodycam so he/she can record all of the Florida plates in the lot. This data gets transmitted to folks waiting just across the state line. Have State Troopers posted to intercept those vehicles as they re-enter Florida. Stop them and give them the option to turn their contraband over with no citation or face arrest. Some idiots spend hundreds of dollars on fireworks.

I mean, just a fake warning published in the PNJ that the State of Florida will be looking for cars trying to bring back fireworks from Alabama that are illegal in Florida might help. You know that most of the customers from that fireworks store are from Florida.

10Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/2/2016, 1:08 am

RealLindaL

Z-man, I actually tried that very thing a few years ago -- reporting exploding fireworks to the sheriff's substation here. I can't recall the details of the phone call(s), but the bottom line was that I was told the enforcement was under the auspices of the Fire Department -- and that, due to their usually having lots of other things to do, I wouldn't likely see anyone respond during the July 4 holiday period. It didn't sound right to me but I never tried calling again -- it was just obvious to me that the entire topic was not one of interest to the sheriff's department.

The law is a joke, and everyone knows it, because it's just not enforced.

11Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/2/2016, 11:09 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

As firework laws are relaxed, injuries increase
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/01/health/relaxed-fireworks-laws-more-injuries/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

...As states have relaxed laws related to fireworks sales over the past decade, emergency doctors saw an increase in both the number and severity of fireworks-related injuries among young people, the data show....

12Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/2/2016, 11:25 am

Telstar

Telstar

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:As firework laws are relaxed, injuries increase
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/01/health/relaxed-fireworks-laws-more-injuries/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

...As states have relaxed laws related to fireworks sales over the past decade, emergency doctors saw an increase in both the number and severity of fireworks-related injuries among young people, the data show....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQGr3FSESHg

13Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/2/2016, 11:40 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Telstar wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQGr3FSESHg

I am sure there is a fireworks lobby that has worked to get the laws relaxed. I grew up in California, and the thing there was to smuggle fireworks in from Tijuana. You had to get them past the Border Patrol Checkpoint on I-5 near Oceanside, though.

14Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/3/2016, 12:33 pm

2seaoat

My youngest granddaughter had a monster poop which my daughter assisted her and told my wife she had never seen anything like it. The two granddaughters sat in my lazy boy as we went to utube and looked at animals and had a great afternoon. However, after they left.......our toilet was blocked........so we put drano down......nothing. We tried boiling water and putting dawn dish washing soap.......nothing........I had to go get a 15 foot snake, plunger, and more drano this morning at ace..........again nothing. So the wife boiled two huge containers of water, more drano, and let it sit for a half hour, and then snaked it again to finally get the flow going.

Something so small who can but that much material into the plumbing......she will have NO PROBLEM with child birth, and will probably have a 12 lb baby........but for right now she has taken the poop crown away from her Uncle......he was so bad friends would ask him NOT to use their toilet and to go to the gas station.......I would send my granddaughter over to the gas station next time she visits, but I am afraid she would shut their operations down.

15Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/3/2016, 7:28 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Seaoat.....little ones can get a mucosa or rectal prolapse. She needs to be checked. More fluids, fiber and a stool softer will help. One of my granddaughters had it....scared me to death.

16Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/3/2016, 7:51 pm

2seaoat

Daughter is taking the little one into the pediatrician. She could not believe what came out of her, and five hours to clear it from the plumbing certainly is not normal. She will make the appointment for next week and more water and stool softners have been discussed with my wife for the last month.......but it was not until this plumbing issue that everybody became aware that this may be health related......I would give anything to block a toilet again, but with cancer just the opposite is the rule......

17Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/3/2016, 10:17 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Glad she is going to be checked. I came close to decking the pediatricianmy granddaughter saw.

18Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/4/2016, 9:25 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

My neighbor across the street is out in the cul-de-sac now, shooting big rockets from a mortar. Totally illegal in Florida. The mortar is about 100 feet from surrounding houses. I can just see the stupid mortar tipping over and launching a rocket through someone's front door.

Some people are just really stupid. The liability risk alone makes shooting fireworks that should be left to professionals an unworthy endeavor. I hope the mortar doesn't have a misfire that blows up one of the kids standing too close to it.

19Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/4/2016, 10:11 pm

Sal

Sal

Our neighborhood also sounds like a war zone.

I have one dog completely freaked out trembling at my feet, and another deaf dog who is completely freaked out because her sister is freaked out.

20Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/4/2016, 10:17 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

On a better note, my step-daughter and her friend made a Drunken Chicken on her barbecue, and brought it over to our house to share with us for dinner. Some of the best chicken I have ever tasted.

To make a Drunken Chicken, you take a can of beer, drink one half while saving the can and the other half of the beer. You pour some liquid smoke in it, and shove the can up the butt of a whole chicken appropriately rubbed with spices and poultry seasoning. You stand it up, butt side down on your grill rack, cover and let it roast for about 2 hours or until done (the coals are arranged in a circle around the inside edge of your grill).

I have never tried this, but my step-daughter's friend is an old hand at making these. Fall-off-the-bone deliciousness.

Last edited by ZVUGKTUBM on 7/4/2016, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/4/2016, 10:28 pm

Sal

Sal

I threw some bone-in ribeyes on the grill with some eggplant and baked potatoes. It was 96 degrees, factor in the humidity 106, and standing by the grill it had to be at least 120. I had to jump in a cool shower and change clothes before dining, but the food was good.

22Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/4/2016, 10:49 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Salinsky wrote:I threw some bone-in ribeyes on the grill with some eggplant and baked potatoes. It was 96 degrees, factor in the humidity 106, and standing by the grill it had to be at least 120. I had to jump in a cool shower and change clothes before dining, but the food was good.

I don't care for eggplant, but my wife has a couple of Ichiban eggplant plants in our garden, and she has harvested at least 20 eggplant fruits and not let any of them go to waste. She has been cooking it with homegrown tomatoes and having that over her eggs for breakfast.

23Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/5/2016, 12:38 am

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:On a better note, my step-daughter and her friend made a Drunken Chicken on her barbecue, and brought it over to our house to share with us for dinner. Some of the best chicken I have ever tasted.

Commonly known as Beer Butt or, more decorously, Beer Can Chicken.

The liquid smoke is optional, I presume -- at least I, for one, have never used it, though it sounds interesting -- and the chicken can also be roasted standing on end (on the can) in a roasting pan set on a low rack in the oven instead of on a grill-- preheated 350 degrees & baked 1-1/4 - 1-1/2 hours for 4 lb chicken, with a nice olive oil and thyme rub (or your fave herbs/spices).

24Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/5/2016, 3:24 am

Vikingwoman

Joanimaroni wrote:Will be with my grandkids.

Oops....3 are missing!
Happy 4th Weekend Fb_img11

Beautiful bunch!

25Happy 4th Weekend Empty Re: Happy 4th Weekend 7/5/2016, 9:34 am

dumpcare

Nice looking bunch Joani, check your pm.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum