Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Assault rifles are designed to do maximum killing in minimum time.

+6
ZVUGKTUBM
RealLindaL
Hospital Bob
gatorfan
Sal
Wordslinger
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

I've written about the insanity of citizens owning assault rifles for more than a year in this forum.

People buy them mostly I think, believing they will give them power.  They're not worth a damn as a target gun, or for hunting deer.  Anybody who needs more than three rounds for hunting ANY animal shouldn't be allowed in the outdoors.  Most state hunting regulations ban any firearm carrying more than five rounds.

As a home-defense weapon, an assault rifle is ridiculous.  Ask the people who live across the street or to either side of your home!

The absolute best gun with which to defend your home is a shotgun.  The spread of pellets almost guarantees you'll hit your opponent, and there's no chance your pellets will be going through neighboring homes' walls.

Obama and Hillary are right on this one.  We need to ban assault rifles -- the same way machineguns are banned.

And magazine clips that carry more than 5 rounds should also be illegal.

The NRA exists but for one reason: to act as a promotional medium for firearms manufacturers.  There's nothing holy about that gig.  Once again, it's all for money -- just like fracking, keystone pipelines, allowing lead pipes to corrode and saying nothing about it -- you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's money and politics.  And the result is hundreds of innocent victims from Sandy Hook to Orlando.  And all those who are about to die at the hands of some other nutcase next week, maybe at Disneyland or the next U2 concert.

Forget banning Muslims from entering the USA.  How about banning all our own nutcases from buying guns?

You want to pray?  Pray for all those who are about to die because of the NRA and it's unholy lock on republican politicians!

Reality.

Sal

Sal

Wordslinger wrote:I've written about the insanity of citizens owning assault rifles for more than a year in this forum.

People buy them mostly I think, believing they will give them power.  They're not worth a damn as a target gun, or for hunting deer.  Anybody who need more than three rounds for hunting ANY animal shouldn't be allowed in the outdoors.  Most state hunting regulations ban any firearm carrying more than five rounds.

As a home-defense weapon, an assault rifle is ridiculous.  Ask the people who live across the street or to either side of your home!

The absolute best gun with which to defend your home is a shotgun.  The spread of pellets almost guarantees you'll hit your opponent, and there's no chance your pellets will be going through neighboring homes' walls.

Obama and Hillary are right on this one.  We need to ban assault rifles -- the same way machineguns are banned.

And magazine clips that carry more than 5 rounds should also be illegal.

The NRA exists but for one reason: to act as a promotional medium for firearms manufacturers.  There's nothing holy about that gig.  Once again, it's all for money -- just like fracking, keystone pipelines, allowing lead pipes to corrode and saying nothing about it -- you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's money and politics.  And the result is hundreds of innocent victims from Sandy Hook to Orlando.  And all those who are about to die at the hands of some other nutcase next week, maybe at Disneyland or the next U2 concert.

Forget banning Muslims from entering the USA.  How about banning all our own nutcases from buying guns?

You want to pray?  Pray for all those who are about to die because of the NRA and it's unholy lock on republican politicians!

Reality.

Prepare for Markle to argue that a firearm used to storm a nightclub and shoot over 100 people in a matter of minutes is not an "assault rifle".

gatorfan

Salinsky wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:

F

Prepare for Markle to argue that a firearm used to storm a nightclub and shoot over 100 people in a matter of minutes is not an "assault rifle".

Be kind of tough since the most common frame is the AR model which stands for Assault Rifle.

Sal

Sal

gatorfan wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

Be kind of tough since the most common frame is the AR model which stands for Assault Rifle.

Facts do not deter Markle ....

Markle wrote:

This is an AR-15, it is NOT an assault rifle.

Assault rifles are designed to do maximum killing in minimum time. Ar15_1_zpsaf9qkpva

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Just for the record,  AR stands for Armalite Rifle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armalite_Riflehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armalite_Rifle

But I agree,  the AR15 and every other semi-automatic rifle is an assault rifle.
Including my Russian made SKS.  That's why I have it.  Because it can assault bad guys. If it wasn't capable of assaulting bad guys it would be of no use to me.

gatorfan

Bob wrote:Just for the record,  AR stands for Armalite Rifle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armalite_Riflehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armalite_Rifle

But I agree,  the AR15 and every other semi-automatic rifle is an assault rifle.
Including my Russian made SKS.  That's why I have it.  Because it can assault bad guys.  If it wasn't capable of assaulting bad guys it would be of no use to me.

You're correct, learn something new every day, it's an assault rifle at the end of the day and I can see no purpose for them for civilian use. I realize many people own them for a variety of reasons such as varmint hunting and for investment reasons but still see no real purpose in them particularly for "self-defense" - an event that usually occurs at close range.

RealLindaL

And guess what?  According to USA Today, "Shares of gun and ammunition companies closed higher Monday following the mass shooting tragedy in Florida."

Ain't it just peachy keen wonderful.   The NRA's gotta be celebrating.

Is there an emoji for total and complete disgust?

P.S. Meant to add: Very good opening post, Word.

Last edited by RealLindaL on 6/14/2016, 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added P.S.)

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

What happened to our former military "expert"? He was a gun-nut, and I am sure he could clarify a few things on this issue (as well as chiming-in on Hillary's looming victory in November.....  Razz ). PaceDog self-banned himself when poster Markle was temporarily given a time-out.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

gatorfan wrote:

Including my Russian made SKS.  That's why I have it.  Because it can assault bad guys.  If it wasn't capable of assaulting bad guys it would be of no use to me.

You're correct, learn something new every day, it's an assault rifle at the end of the day and I can see no purpose for them for civilian use. I realize many people own them for a variety of reasons such as varmint hunting and for investment reasons but still see no real purpose in them particularly for "self-defense" - an event that usually occurs at close range.

For me, having the semi-automatic rifle is like the government having nukes.
If I'm attacked I want to be able to deliver some Mutual Assured Destruction to whoever is attacking me. Will I ever have a need for that? Probably not. But you never know. Not with people like Seaoat and Sal running around loose.

Markle

Markle

RealLindaL wrote:And guess what?  According to USA Today, "Shares of gun and ammunition companies closed higher Monday following the mass shooting tragedy in Florida."

P.S.   Meant to add:  Very good opening post, Word.

Just as Donald Trump did not need to spend nearly as much money as did Hillary Clinton, nor his 16 Republican competitors to win the Republican nomination due to the media attacks on him, the NRA need do nothing.

As is often said, when your enemy is bent on destroying themselves, simply sit back and watch.

The stocks did not go up due to the abomination in Orlando but rather Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama preaching that we need MORE GUN CONTROL.

Now President Obama is attacking those who criticize him for not using the term Radical Islam. He says that is a diversion. He STILL does not get it.

Now he is calling Islam one of the great religions of the world and ridiculing those who call our enemy Radical Islamic Terrorists.

He just does not get it.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

For me,  having the semi-automatic rifle is like the government having nukes.
If I'm attacked I want to be able to deliver some Mutual Assured Destruction to whoever is attacking me.   Will I ever have a need for that?  Probably not.  But you never know.   Not with people like Seaoat and Sal running around loose.

All of these are semi-automatic guns:

Assault rifles are designed to do maximum killing in minimum time. 5bd0768f-9f62-4cbe-8b90-cdc5a5702cb4_zpspxitxh3g

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

For me,  having the semi-automatic rifle is like the government having nukes.
If I'm attacked I want to be able to deliver some Mutual Assured Destruction to whoever is attacking me.   Will I ever have a need for that?  Probably not.  But you never know.   Not with people like Seaoat and Sal running around loose.

All of these are semi-automatic guns:

Assault rifles are designed to do maximum killing in minimum time. 5bd0768f-9f62-4cbe-8b90-cdc5a5702cb4_zpspxitxh3g

I wish to add something to my last post. The part about me needing an assault rifle because Sal and Seaoat are running around loose. Make that Seaoat, Sal AND Markle.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I don't think a revolver fits the description of being a semi-automatic gun......

The definition from Google:

A revolver, which uses multiple chambers and a single barrel, and a derringer, which uses multiple chambers and multiple barrels, also fire one round per trigger pull, but achieve this in different ways and as such are not classified as being semi-automatic.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=is+a+revolver+a+semi+automatic+gun

It looks like poster Markle really does not know much about weapons after all.....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:

Now President Obama is attacking those who criticize him for not using the term Radical Islam.  He says that is a diversion.  He STILL does not get it.

Now he is calling Islam one of the great religions of the world and ridiculing those who call our enemy Radical Islamic Terrorists.

He just does not get it.

He doesn't just get it, he nails it ....

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

RealLindaL wrote:And guess what?  According to USA Today, "Shares of gun and ammunition companies closed higher Monday following the mass shooting tragedy in Florida."

P.S.   Meant to add:  Very good opening post, Word.

Thanks, I appreciate your praise!

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Another reason to ban Assault Rifles and any semi-auto firearm with a clip that holds more than 5 rounds: From Columbine, to Sandy Hook, to Newtown, to Orlando one fact unites them all: the shooters were using a large capacity magazine -- which provides the following advantage -- you can shoot more victims in less time that a shooter with a 5-round magazine. In simple terms, more innocent targeted victims will be able to run or hide and .... live ... while their attacker is busy inserting a new mag. Small capacity magazines will result in less lives lost in any mass shooting. From a practical standpoint, banning or making it illegal to possess an assault rifle would be ludicrous if magazines with 5-round maximum capacity were the only mags sold -- and all mags that carry more rounds were made illegal with a major federal conviction bringing a long prison term. Just sayin' ....

Sal

Sal

If I had my way, all handguns would be banned and only long guns which can fire five rounds or less without reloading would be allowed.

If you can't hit what you're shooting at in five shots, you have no business with a gun anyway.

Either that, or go with Chris Rock's idea.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Here's a well-written piece by a hardcore gun owner (and a liberal like me), on why Assault Rifles need to be banned:

http://www.salon.com/2016/06/14/a_gun_lovers_case_for_gun_control_not_all_of_us_believe_in_the_right_to_bear_assault_weapons/?source=newsletter

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I don't think a revolver fits the description of being a semi-automatic gun......

A revolver, which uses multiple chambers and a single barrel, and a derringer, which uses multiple chambers and multiple barrels, also fire one round per trigger pull, but achieve this in different ways and as such are not classified as being semi-automatic.

It looks like poster Markle really does not know much about weapons after all.....

You're right on. The term "automatic" when applied to a firearm implies a magazine-fed action. The revolver does not fit that description as no replaceable magazine is involved.

gatorfan

Wordslinger wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I don't think a revolver fits the description of being a semi-automatic gun......

You're right on.  The term "automatic" when applied to a firearm implies a magazine-fed action.  The revolver does not fit that description as no replaceable magazine is involved.  

Revolvers can be quickly reloaded with a speedloader - about as fast as changing a magazine in a semiauto, while not as many rounds (although I've had an 8 shot .357 revolver before) they are still effective. The simple fact is there is no defense against a determined attacker - particularly one who doesn't care about surviving their attack. Eliminate ALL guns and someone intent on mass murder will find another way.

Remember OK City?

Assault rifles are designed to do maximum killing in minimum time. Okcbombing_3

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

gatorfan wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:

You're right on.  The term "automatic" when applied to a firearm implies a magazine-fed action.  The revolver does not fit that description as no replaceable magazine is involved.  

Revolvers can be quickly reloaded with a speedloader - about as fast as changing a magazine in a semiauto, while not as many rounds (although I've had an 8 shot .357 revolver before) they are still effective. The simple fact is there is no defense against a determined attacker - particularly one who doesn't care about surviving their attack. Eliminate ALL guns and someone intent on mass murder will find another way.

Remember OK City?

Assault rifles are designed to do maximum killing in minimum time. Okcbombing_3

I'm not advocating eliminating all guns. Just Assault Rifles and magazines that can carry more than five rounds.\

Do you have a problem with that? If so, let's hear why.

What you're calling an assault rifle is responsible for a tiny percentage of gun deaths. Gawd y'all are reactionary.

2seaoat

what is an assault weapon and what regulations can with common sense make it more difficult for a shooter to kill many is a discussion which should take place in congressional committees, where experts, stats, and proposals can be weighed and debated. To suggest that guns are an absolute right is contrary to the Supreme Court cases which make it clear it is still the role of Congress to lawfully regulate the same........but how can we even have a substantive discussion without congressional committee hearings. I have a more comprehensive regulation which I have talked about for 15 years, but it would require putting profit in gun safety which would allow those who design safeguards in new weapons get rewarded by subsidy. I think in a generation we could cut gun deaths in half.....but another day for that discussion, we need congressional hearings.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:What you're calling an assault rifle is responsible for a tiny percentage of gun deaths. Gawd y'all are reactionary.

Columbine, Sandy Hook, Newtown, San Bernardino, Orlando ... and the list goes on. Yeah, we're pissed!

25Assault rifles are designed to do maximum killing in minimum time. Empty Inventor's family speaks out 6/16/2016, 9:58 am

dumpcare

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/family-of-ar-15-inventor-he-didnt-intend-it-for-civilians/ar-AAh7hM9?li=BBnb7Kz

The AR-15 is the most talked about gun in America.

But the AR-15's creator died before the weapon became a popular hit and his family has never spoken out.

Until now.

"Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47," the Stoner family told NBC News late Wednesday. "He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events."

The inventor's surviving children and adult grandchildren spoke exclusively to MSNBC by phone and email, commenting for the first time on their family's uneasy legacy. They requested individual anonymity in order to speak freely about such a sensitive topic. They also stopped short of policy prescriptions or legal opinions.

Related: AR-15 Style Rifle Used in Orlando Massacre Has Bloody Pedigree

But their comments add unprecedented context to their father's creation, shedding new light on his intentions and adding firepower to the effort to ban weapons like the AR-15. The comments could also bolster a groundbreaking new lawsuit, which argues that the weapon is a tool of war — never intended for civilians.

Eugene Stoner would have agreed, his family said.

The ex-Marine and "avid sportsman, hunter and skeet shooter" never used his invention for sport. He also never kept it around the house for personal defense. In fact, he never even owned one.

And though he made millions from the design, his family said it was all from military sales.

"After many conversations with him, we feel his intent was that he designed it as a military rifle," his family said, explaining that Stoner was focused on making the most efficient and superior rifle possible for the military."

He designed the original AR-15 in the late 1950s, working on it in his own garage and later as the chief designer for ArmaLite, a then small company in southern California. He made it light and powerful and he fashioned a new bullet for it — a .223 caliber round capable of piercing a metal helmet at 500 yards.

The Army loved it and famously renamed it the M16.

But after Stoner's death in 1997, at the age of 74, a semi-automatic version of the AR-15 became a civilian bestseller, too, spawning dozens of copy-cat weapons. The National Rifle Association has taken to calling it "America's rifle."

The bullets that tore through the Pulse nightclub in Orlando were Stoner's .223 rounds, fired from a AR-15 spin off made by Sig Sauer.

In all, an AR-15 style rifle has been used in at least 10 recent mass shootings — including at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, and a work party in San Bernardino, California.

"What has happened, good or bad, since his patents have expired is a result of our free market system," Stoner's family said. "Currently, a more interesting question is 'Who now is benefiting from the manufacturing and sales of AR-15s, and for what uses?'"

That's the question for the rest of us.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum