Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Some thoughts about dying in uniform for your country ...

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

The following soliloquy by one of my literary heroes speaks oodles about the wonderfulness of dying for your country ....

"But what do the dead say? Did anybody ever come back from the dead any single one of the millions who got killed did any one of them ever come back and say by god I'm glad I'm dead because death is always better than dishonor? Did they say I'm glad I died to make the world safe for democracy? Did they say I like death better than losing liberty? Did any of them ever say it's good to think I got my guts blown out for the honor of my country? Did any of them ever say look at me I'm dead but I died for decency and that's better than being alive? Did any of them ever say here I am I've been rotting for two years in a foreign grave but it's wonderful to die for your native land? Did any of them say hurray I died for womanhood and I'm happy see how I sing even though my mouth is choked with worms?" - Dalton Trumbo, Johnny Got His Gun

Telstar

Telstar

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Telstar wrote:

Thanks for posting the trailer. Memorial Day disgusts me. Yes, I care about all the soldiers who gave their lives for their country, etc. But other than a National Holiday designed to honor war and soldiering, what the fuck is Memorial Day?

We need to stop honoring war and soldiering. War isn't glory ... it's destruction and often for no other reason than money or ego. When I see those long rows of crosses I think to myself: those poor, wasted sonofabitches.

Reality.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Some thoughts about dying in uniform for your country ... A70-7484

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The world's international banking interests will never allow peace to break out in the world. Why should they when war is so profitable to them and the corporations they front?

Look back at Amschel Mayer Rothschild, the first international banker, and his son Nathan, who formed the Bank of England in the early 1800s. The elder Rothschild had a Counting House (e.g., a bank) and found great profitability in lending money to the kings and potentates of Europe in his day. Except sometimes these sovereigns got behind in their debt payments. Rothschild found he could give them encouragement, and protect himself from reprisals by financing a sovereign's rival or enemy. If one got behind in payment, the other would be encouraged (and of course, financed) to attack the debtor in arrears.

Nathan Rothschild took this model to a whole different level. During the Battle of Waterloo (1813?), he kept spies at the battle field, and a constant flow of information (I guess by carrier pigeons and by fast sailboats crossing the channel?) kept Nathan abreast of how well Wellington was doing against Napoleon. When it appeared that Wellington's victory was assured, he had his agents manipulate the London stock exchange by initiating a massive sell-off, which sent stock prices into the dirt. As the sell-off grew, he had other agents quietly purchase choice depressed shares. The next day, Wellington's victory sent London's stock prices soaring, and Nathan Rothschild's wealth grew even further.....

This game gets played in the modern world, also. There is too much profit in war for peace to be allowed to prevail. Also, the world is marching toward a world government where national sovereignty will be a footnote. The Financiers are using war to shape this movement, and they intend to control it when the entity appears.

Yes, I happen to be a conspiracy nut.... I have read too much material over the last 35 years to not be. I was a military professional in an earlier life, and I was simply looking for an answer to: "Why might my country send me to war one day?" (disclaimer: I never saw any combat) The year I started this quest was 1981.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

I have fought militarism my entire life, but to honor those fallen in senseless war has been exploited by war mongers. I remember early in President Obama's presidency he went to the National Cemetery in Illinois to honor the fallen, and the war mongers immediately used this against him because you are suppose to go to Arlington and the graves of the unknown soldiers.....now that manipulation is evil. It is ever present, but honoring those fallen soldiers is pure, and the mere exploitation of the same by MIC has to be identified and repelled.

Telstar

Telstar

For anyone interested in watching Johnny Got His Gun, it is on the movie forum.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Telstar wrote:For anyone interested in watching Johnny Got His Gun, it is on the movie forum.

Thanks much for providing the link to it in that movie forum post. When I can find some time today I really want to see this. Coincidentally I rented "Trumbo" to watch today. Now I'll get to see something of his adapted to a movie after I see the biopic. Cool.

2seaoat

I saw this movie twice when it was released. It was my opinion at the time that this movie was the most powerful anti war movie made. It absolutely hit the nail on the head. I hope when I am in hospice, I will find a similar nurse......I have something to look forward to, I may even ask my wife for a test run with everything working just fine right now......she can drop me off and let staff know that is on my bucket list.....my problem will be that nurse ratched will be working the night shift.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is from the wiki page for the movie (Johnny Got Your Gun)...

it is well known that Jimmy Carter required all his new State cabinet members to view the film shortly after his election as Georgia governor in 1971

It's so odd that a bunch of racist redneck musicians playing crappy elevator music were so instrumental in getting a man like that elected.  It's certainly out of character for racist rednecks. I've never heard of one yet who was into anti-war stuff.

2seaoat

It's so odd that a bunch of racist redneck musicians playing crappy elevator music were so instrumental in getting a man like that elected. It's certainly out of character for racist rednecks. I've never heard of one yet who was into anti-war stuff.

Really.....nice detour from reality, but I knew few educated individuals who did not flock to this movie, and your posting of that silly other movie proved you lack the depth to even understand what I have been saying about your culture which you were immersed and think somehow was not what it was......you were oblivious about this movie, and all those who went to class instead of skipping school absorbed this powerful movie almost forty five years ago.....on top of all that ignorance is the fact that it sure as hell was not the South which got President Carter elected, and it was not by accident that Reagan started his campaign in the South.......Dixiecrats clinging on the the confederate flag and fighting all the attempts to allow all men and women in this country to enjoy liberty.....and the elevator music was a rallying point for haters who thought it was cool to have a token, and how much had changed from the four bathrooms.......watch the fricking movie and learn and quit apologizing for evil......you were quick to support Trump, now in typical apologist manner you over compensate for that initial support and tout yourself as a trump hater.....but when he talked xenophobic hate.......oh well you do not see that good people, generous people, kind people can get so caught up in an evil system that they actually become part of the problem....I know.....I love my family, but I am saddened by the culture which still handcuffs them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:.....on top of all that ignorance is the fact that it sure as hell was not the South which got President Carter elected

The discussion has been only about the elevator boys, not what the entire South thought or did or said. Of course "the South" overall was not for a liberal, pro-civil rights, anti-war Presidential candidate.

But see that's what has always pointed to your hypocrisy. On the one hand, you view yourself as a champion fighting against bigotry, but then you turn right around and create a stereotype for millions of people of a region who you believe are all the same. Which of course is nothing but the same bigotry you think you're against.

Here are some links for you to read...

https://www.google.com/search?q=allman+brothers+jimmy+carter+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Strange. Am I the only one surprised to see that nobody has yet jumped in to glorify war and our war dead? Markle? Obama Sucks? Pkrbum?

Have you ever seen me glorify war?

2seaoat

Have you ever seen me glorify war?

In fairness.......NO, but you have an intellectual gap between the politics you support, and the historical results of those folks leading America into random and unnecessary war. I cannot imagine you intentionally cheer leading for war.....that is not in your character, but your flawed paradigm often allows you to overlook the consequences of bad policy.

2seaoat

Of course "the South" overall was not for a liberal, pro-civil rights, anti-war Presidential candidate.

bingo......and music is politics, you surgically extract all the evidence of what the South does in politics, and somehow think the music when addressing Neil Young was done isolated from the very politics of the South. I studied voting and trends, and saw first hand the migration of life long Democrats to the Republican Party. Please view on HBO an incredible series on Johnson....it does not get much better, and tell me if I am stereotyping or scientifically and historically giving information which has a greater probability of truth. The elevator music was part of the evil, and you protest all you want, but music is politics, and the fact remains you were a cheer leader for Trump when he was attacking minorities, and now in typical Bob fashion you have become a Trump hater......moral people normally have little problem identifying evil.....unless they are simply brainwashed.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:Have you ever seen me glorify war?

I didn't accuse you of that, I was just asking because I'm really never quite sure of your political or ethical stances.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:  The elevator music was part of the evil

So helping Jimmy Carter to defeat Gerald Ford was an "evil" act? The same Jimmy Carter who had his staff watch that anti-war movie you said was so profound.
And because the musical group in question did this makes their music be "elevator music"?
Got it. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This I can tell you (to paraphrase Trump lol).  Rush Limbaugh,  Markle,  pacedog,  Sean Hannity,  Bill O'Reilly Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee and every other right-winger and David Duke and all the rest of the racists agree with you when you say helping to get Jimmy Carter elected was an "evil act".  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Have you ever seen me glorify war?

In fairness.......NO, but you have an intellectual gap between the politics you support, and the historical results of those folks leading America into random and unnecessary war.   I cannot imagine you intentionally cheer leading for war.....that is not in your character, but your flawed paradigm often allows you to overlook the consequences of bad policy.

Are you pulling our leg with this or are you really that unobservant and wrong-headed?
Pkr is a libertarian. You know, like Rand Paul, the one candidate in the election who was MOST OPPOSED to "leading America into random and unnecessary war".
Sometimes I wonder what planet you're from.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum