Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Republican Party Unravels Over Donald Trump's Takeover

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/us/politics/republican-party-unravels-over-donald-trumps-takeover.html?_r=0

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I have been saying for over 1.5 years that the earliest you will see another Republican president is 2024.

Unfortunately, they will come roaring back with a chip on their shoulder. After 16 consecutive years of Democratic rule, the election gods will favor them. And, the presidential candidate they present us with will be a demagogue.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The status of the Republican Party at this point is just fascinating to say the least. No one knows if it will heal up in a slightly modified form or whether something entirely new will emerge from this tension that's been created over Trump apparently winning the nomination without the blessing of the old guard.

Part of the article mentioned the polling over the last 12 years showing that many Americans were not happy with the direction the country was going in. Trump and Sanders have both tapped in to different branches of that unhappiness. I can't help but point out how very undefined that question is and with no followup question asking the person to state their concerns it is really of no value.

For example Liberals may be unhappy with the direction the country is going in meaning that they don't like the increasing influence of corporations, meddling in legislation by groups like ALEC, gerrymandering, etc.

Conservative/Republicans might not like what they see as larger government, etc.

The thing that both Trump and Bernie have shown to be true is that the old way of running for president and raising money for that campaign has made an end run around the party establishments and rendered them if not useless at least not anywhere near as important as direct contact via social media between the candidate and the individual voter.

I guess the answer to the question about the GOP will depend on who the leader(s) turn out to be and which group of voters they choose to reach out to.

RealLindaL

Thank you for an interesting and thought-provoking post, othershoe. I especially applaud you for pointing out the relative meaninglessness of the phrase, "don't like the direction the country is going." Waaaaay subjective. Can be interpreted in just about as many ways as the Powerball numbers can line up, if not more.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

But then there is the conspiratorial theory about all of this. "The Establishment" represents the elite oligarchs--those who control the media outlets, think tanks, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), etc. The elites of all Western countries--all strongly connected to banking (Wall Street)--are in cahoots with each other and are working toward the establishment of a world government, where there is little to no national sovereignty between individual countries.

This bunch will not allow the people to take back control through mavericks like Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump. Think war, terrorism, catastrophe--they do have ways of getting the attention of us little folks and keeping us in line.

The elites have their annual meeting in June of 2016. They are referred to as the "Bilderberg Group." They meet in secret, publish only a sanitized version of what they discuss, and blackout the media concerning their agenda.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

RealLindaL

Best article I've seen yet on the Bilderberg Group is Wikipedia's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilderberg_Group

Gotta read the whole thing.  It dispels a lot of myths and conspiracy theories (which apparently vary depending on which side of the aisle they come from).

All I can say is, since they group's been meeting since 1954 and there's no "New World Order" in effect yet, for all their brains and wealth they must be doing a rock  bottom lousy job.   lol

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

It is rather funny to see a reference to the Bilderberg group, which is accused of trying to establish a one world government in a thread about the Republican Party unraveling.  

The problem is basically human nature. The idea of a cohesive unified group is appealing and under the right circumstances can be very effective (labor unions, the Allies in WWII, etc.) but over time little rifts appear, people have different agendas and things fall apart.

The R's used to be a fairly uniform group from what I remember. They were basically what I'd call the "Chamber of Commerce" political arm of participation in government. Remember the saying, "What's good for General Motors is good for the Nation" or something like that?

It looks to me that over time they became more influenced by corporations that were not concerned with national boundaries, the multi-national corporations. They just wanted to make money and didn't care where on the globe they found their labor or profits. (globalization) The result is that the middle class and working poor are taking a beating with this set up and Trump and Bernie are both keying into that unfortunate result but are hitting it from different angles.

Of course as a liberal I blame ALEC, voter apathy and a public sorely uninformed about American history and the workings of their government.

One thing that lead the GOP astray was the move to activate the "silent majority" with all the social issues they used to divide the country. All that Bible thumping stirred up a hornets nest of emotion and now that very effective strategy has come back to bite them big time. First it tore the country apart by exaggerating differences between groups and now it is tearing the party apart.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum