Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I have never seen a local tv station anywhere in America which does not give major league scores

+2
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

It is bizarre for me to watch local sports. It is like the twilight zone. I feel like I landed on a foreign planet. There is no reporting on major league baseball scores......America's pastime.....not in the panhandle.

2seaoat

There is some coverage of the local hockey and minor league team, but nothing on major league baseball. There is abundance of football stories, and it is the spring and NOBODY is playing football. As a kid I read the newspaper every day to get box scores and watched tv news to get the latest scores at night. I feel like I did when living in Mexico.....total culture shock. How do you consider somewhere to be part of America if the local station does not give major league scores. I am watching this morning a long discussion on football concussions. I love football, but it is baseball season.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:There is some coverage of the local hockey and minor league team, but nothing on major league baseball.  There is abundance of football stories, and it is the spring and NOBODY is playing football.  As a kid I read the newspaper every day to get box scores and watched tv news to get the latest scores at night.  I feel like I did when living in Mexico.....total culture shock.  How do you consider somewhere to be part of America if the local station does not give major league scores.  I am watching this morning a long discussion on football concussions.  I love football, but it is baseball season.

Call WEAR or send an email to Dan Shugart.

RealLindaL

The PNJ is just about as bad, especially in its coverage (or lack of same) for women's sports.  This infuriates my husband, who follows sports way more than I and is a defender of women  -- a truly lovable quality, btw.   Smile

Sal

Sal

http://espn.go.com/mlb/scoreboard

boards of FL

boards of FL

zzzzzzzzz

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I can't wait for college football to restart next fall...

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Boards got a participation ribbon for playing youth soccer in the spring and probably never played baseball. I have played all sports, and there is nothing harder than hitting an 85 mph or faster ball pitched from 90 feet away. The pace of the game will lull those who have never played to sleep, but the art and beauty of the game remains a constant in American life. I remember as a kid my father getting a soccer ball and trying to get me interested in soccer....I enjoyed kicking the ball with him, but give me a bat, a glove, and a group of kids and we would play baseball and keep our own stat book every summer until school started again. I still love soccer, and some say zzzz to soccer, but again they have no appreciation of the game.

I don't know about the baseball analogy... but I was a good hitter and can still tear it up in a batting cage.

I think putting is harder... particularly under pressure.

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Boards got a participation ribbon for playing youth soccer in the spring and probably never played baseball.  I have played all sports, and there is nothing harder than hitting an 85 mph or faster ball pitched from 90 feet away.  The pace of the game will lull those who have never played to sleep, but the art and beauty of the game remains a constant in American life.  I remember as a kid my father getting a soccer ball and trying to get me interested in soccer....I enjoyed kicking the ball with him, but give me a bat, a glove, and a group of kids and we would play baseball and keep our own stat book every summer until school started again.  I still love soccer, and some say zzzz to soccer, but again they have no appreciation of the game.

You don't even have to be in shape to play baseball.  In fact, one could be morbidly obese and make the all-star team.  

Sure, there is a learning curve to batting.  There is also a learning curve to playing golf.  These are less of what I would call "sports" and more of what I would call "games" - things you can do while drinking beer, and that do not require you to be any sort of athletic shape whatsoever.

zzzzzzzzzz

2seaoat

My strength in golf was my drive and my putting. The more pressure the better I could putt, but the hand eye coordination of golf compared to hitting a change up or curve after looking at a fastball......it is an incredible tough game. Your playing tennis you know how fricking hard it is to cover a serve when your opponent seems like he can put the ball exactly where he wants to, and knows your weakness. In tennis the only fun game is one that is evenly matched, because nothing is more difficult and frustrating than being totally over matched in a tennis match. Even the best pitcher you can make a squared off bunt if you are frustrated......well maybe not......you still have to get to first.

2seaoat

Michael Jordan proved that being in shape and having incredible vision and hand eye coordination are often not enough......great athletes play basketball....baseball players take steroids.......

2seaoat wrote:My strength in golf was my drive and my putting. The more pressure the better I could putt, but the hand eye coordination of golf compared to hitting a change up or curve after looking at a fastball......it is an incredible tough game. Your playing tennis you know how fricking hard it is to cover a serve when your opponent seems like he can put the ball exactly where he wants to, and knows your weakness. In tennis the only fun game is one that is evenly matched, because nothing is more difficult and frustrating than being totally over matched in a tennis match. Even the best pitcher you can make a squared off bunt if you are frustrated......well maybe not......you still have to get to first.

I rarely felt pressure playing tennis or baseball... never playing football or basketball. But a crucial 5' putt is really hard. The only time I felt similar nerves was playing pool. Both sports can really isolate you and ramp up the stakes. Maybe it's that the more physical the action the less time you have to feel the moment. Who knows... I really enjoyed sports.

2seaoat

Lawyers and Doctors ads with no baseball scores.....twilight zone. At least Joe Patti brings it back to real.....what a character and what a business.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum