Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My life is a weird movie ...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My life is a weird movie ... Empty My life is a weird movie ... 4/29/2016, 3:36 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Yesterday on Public Radio I heard a long discussion about animal cruelty. People called in to express their disgust for how pigs are slaughtered, chickens are housed, how zoo animals suffer, etc. The guest speaker and all the people who phoned in were passionately dedicated to making sure all animal are free from suffering caused by humans.

The same concern evidently doesn't exist when the featured subject is human. A terrorist blows up a car in a Nigerian marketplace, and 150 plus innocent shoppers are killed. It rates 15 seconds on network news, and less than two paragraphs in major newspapers. Is this because the people involved are black Africans?

The video spot where Ted Cruz says that if he's elected, we'll defeat ISIS by carpet bombing Muslim cities, "until the sand glows," runs almost every week on one TV show or another.

Here's a list of Muslim countries where U.S. military forces have brought about peace, justice, brotherhood and an improved economy:

- - - - -

I bought a beautiful short-sleeved sport shirt at TJ Max this morning. The label says it was made in Vietnam.

I can't remember, why did we sacrifice 53,000 American military personnel there back in the early 70s?

A Mexican waiter served me last week at Hacienda. I wonder if he's a racist? Does he wonder the same about me?

Jesus - the one you don't believe - said to love your neighbor as yourself. People are not loving their neighbor as they would love their own life. They are racist, bigoted, selfish...

Ghana said (do you believe him) "“Have faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the whole ocean doesn’t become dirty.”

Broaden the lens and have some faith that there are good people who care about other humans.

2seaoat

I think we distance ourselves from our wealth and good fortune. Most Americans simply do not fully understand how incredibly lucky we are to be born in America, and we semi intentionally just shut down our grasp of the human condition by simply conceptualizing that it is too large and impossible to cure.....that would be wrong. I think it is incumbent that we elect leadership which recognizes that America must do its part, and certainly individual contributions help most situations......but I believe there is an element of cognitive dissonance which ultimately controls.

4My life is a weird movie ... Empty Re: My life is a weird movie ... 4/29/2016, 11:47 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

SheWrites wrote:Jesus - the one you don't believe - said to love your neighbor as yourself.  People are not loving their neighbor as they would love their own life.  They are racist, bigoted, selfish...

Ghana said (do you believe him) "“Have faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the whole ocean doesn’t become dirty.”

Broaden the lens and have some faith that there are good people who care about other humans.

I applaud the sentiment expressed in that saying, but there is nothing of substance to prove that Jesus ever said it. Check out who wrote the story .. and then check out if the writer actually lived during Jesus's alleged life span. More than one so-called Gospel tell the same story?

Of course there are good people, plenty of them. Very few are politicians or people in authority. Reality.

Wordslinger wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Jesus - the one you don't believe - said to love your neighbor as yourself.  People are not loving their neighbor as they would love their own life.  They are racist, bigoted, selfish...

I applaud the sentiment expressed in that saying, but there is nothing of substance to prove that Jesus ever said it.  Check out who wrote the story .. and then check out if the writer actually lived during Jesus's alleged life span.  More than one so-called Gospel tell the same story?

Of course there are good people, plenty of them.  Very few are politicians or people in authority.  Reality.

Hmmm...say you wrote a book about a historical figure, Word. Perhaps you have quotes from that person. Did you live in that alleged life span? Is there more than one story about that historical figure?

Reality.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

SheWrites wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:

I applaud the sentiment expressed in that saying, but there is nothing of substance to prove that Jesus ever said it.  Check out who wrote the story .. and then check out if the writer actually lived during Jesus's alleged life span.  More than one so-called Gospel tell the same story?

Of course there are good people, plenty of them.  Very few are politicians or people in authority.  Reality.

Hmmm...say you wrote a book about a historical figure, Word.  Perhaps you have quotes from that person.  Did you live in that alleged life span?  Is there more than one story about that historical figure?  

Reality.

You're right, of course. But the facts are, we have no idea what parts of the Bible are real, or pure fabrication. Much of the New Testament was written as though the stories were just taking place, although the writers were living decades after events which they didn't live through, just heard about. Some of the incidents were total bullshit, constructed by editors for propaganda purposes, hundreds of years later than the events they purport to tell.

Based on my experience dealing with history and historical research, it's clear that facts frequently become muddled, altered and shifted within a few months of an incident. And the shift in reality continues thru time.

Hell, we're unsure of the real story of John Kennedy's assassination and that was only 53 years ago.

You have every right to believe what you want to believe about Jesus. I just don't find it necessary. Without belief, the whole tale is preposterous and bizarre.

As with everything, it's all a matter of perspective.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

Those would be Doctors Without Borders. Unfortunately we saw what other humans do to them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wordslinger wrote:My life is a weird movie

Make that a Double Feature cause mine is too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum