Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The things I love about getting old

+2
2seaoat
Vikingwoman
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Vikingwoman

I've been taking note lately of how the world treats you when you get older. It's the little things that take you by surprise.  So when you look in the mirror and still see that 30 something year old put your glasses back on and take heed of these not so subtle hints you ain't a spring chicken anymore but getting old is not so bad. Just a few I've noticed.

Everybody calls you Ma'am and always put Miss in front of your first name.

The guy at the Office Depot offers to give you your receipt in large text.

You no longer have to ask for the senior discount at McDonalds from the teenage girl. She cheerfully says "I gave you the senior discount" w/ a huge *****CREEPY GRIN*****.

Other females look at you kindly rather than jealous envy.

The police no longer consider you suspicious and let you ride by when they're hiding on the side of a building and stop the tatooed guy behind you for no reason.

When you want to get out of going somewhere you can just say" I haven't been feeling well lately" and everybody understands.

No more high heels and figure hugging clothes. They don't look so good on your pear shape.

People offer to load your groceries in the Publix parking lot.

You can be in the frump mode everyday and nobody cares...or looks.

Your grandchildren ask what telephone booths are and you tell them it's where Superman changed his clothes.

You get facial gift certificates for Christmas.

This is the best: "you look good for your age!" Have you ever tried that rejuvaderm? Oy!

2seaoat

Its funny that my wife and I were discussing this after she repeatedly had younger people, men and women offering to help her load lumber from Lowes into her cart, and then into the car.

I love the young man at office depot in Pace.....he is smart and helpful, and has so much knowledge, he will not be there for long. He has helped me over the last four months, and some of the things I have asked him to do were rather complex and he understood what I needed and accomplished the same.

Getting old is great, but my problem is that I have what is called the zebra cancer, or looking good cancer.....it hides until it is too late, and folks look pretty good until a month before they go.......so I am looking very mature and distinguished, and because I am now losing weight(not good) my pants and clothing hang nicely on my changing frame. I enjoy flirting with forty something women, and as I do not wear a wedding ring it actually has been fun to flirt. My wife loves flirting with the fifty something men who give her attention, and are immediately attracted to her gritty determination to load things at Lowes like a man......but she lost nine pounds in Feb and March with our projects, and has lost thirty pounds since she slipped on the ice and broke her leg last march. The problem is that I always enjoyed her athletic small breasts, and now after putting weight on and now losing the same, she has become quite busty which some men go nuts over, but I am a small breast, small butt afficinado........but I am so happy for her as she is getting male attention, and I keep telling her after I am gone guys will be hitting on her.....she said she has done the husband thing......she does not need another man in her life.....so part of the fun of females getting older is that they can feel secure enough to say the Hell with men.....love it. Life is great.

Vikingwoman

The blonde haired guy w/ kind of longish hair? Today was the first time I went in there to send a package and you have to type everything on a computer. I asked him what if you don't type? He looks at me seriously and says" you don't get served". I laughed and said you know, everybody doesn't type? He says then you don't get to send any packages. It's self serve. Even my 100 yr old g'mother can type w/ one finger". He was the one who asked me if I needed my receipt in large print. I said no. I'm near sighted. I can see up close.

I bet you wife will love you telling everybody about her boobies, Oatie?

2seaoat

That is half the fun of getting old....we both do not care one bit what people think or how they judge our appearance. I look like a homeless person holding a sign at interstate 10 exit on Avalon.......don't care. My wife wears work clothes covered with paint, in public while she watches the southern painted ladies.....too funny, getting made up to go to Lowes or Wal Mart....how insecure do you have to be to put make up on to go to the store.

Vikingwoman

I know,right? There was a time I wouldn't step out of the house w/o makeup or being dressed right. Now I blend in quite well w/ all the Pace Walmart customers. I remember when I first got out of college and had an interview as a counselor at a boy's group home. I was so excited. The interview went well. I had all the right answers and they seemed impressed. I just knew I had the job then I got the call saying they really would have liked to have hired me but I was too attractive to work w/ pubescent and teenage boys. I was shocked! I think I could get that job now.

RealLindaL

I found this thread to be one of the most entertaining, ha-ha producing ones ever seen on this forum (great list, Viking) -- that is, until I read this from Sea's post:  "...how insecure do you have to be to put make up on to go to the store."

I just suggest you and your wife perhaps consider having a little compassion, since obviously not every woman is endowed with either natural beauty or confidence in her natural appearance.   

I am one of those who wears some makeup (and decent clothes) to go to the store.  You can call it "insecurity" if you like, and maybe it is, but I like to look as good as I can in public.  My body is large, my face is not bad but I think I have lousy skin, mostly because of a mild case of rosacea. I don't like running around with a red nose and cheeks.   And I think I have cow eyes without a little eyeliner and maybe some mascara, both of which do wonders for me.  Lipstick in a near-natural tone makes me feel dressed.

Once I get my spring/summer tan I don't have to worry as much because my face is more brown than red, but I still will usually put on a little eye makeup and a bit of foundation or powder on the nose/cheek/chin area when I go out anywhere, more for out to dinner etc.

So sue me for being an insecure "painted lady."  Again, we are not all endowed with natural beauty, as obviously Viking is (or at least was, according to her).  More power to those women who either have it, or who don't care.  We're not all the same, but in any case we don't need anyone's ridicule.

Do you know what this reminds me of for some reason, Sea?  It reminds me of the time on the PNJ forums when surf was making fun of "old women" he saw in restaurants and stores "wearing their gold jewelry from the 1970's."  I laid into him at the time, reminding him that not everyone was wealthy enough to just toss aside her long-collected gold pieces and buy something new.  Grrr.

And while I'm ranting a little here:   Boards, will you please ditch the automatic word changes, if Sal is right that you set it up that way?  I had to use "ha-ha producing" above instead of the s word, to avoid looking/sounding like DE.

On that note, I'm outta here for the night.  Y'all have fun!

Last edited by RealLindaL on 4/21/2016, 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I can.)

Age doesn't have to turn you into a woman who casts aside the desire to look her best. I'm not a "painted lady" as Seaoat refers to and really do not see a lot of them here on the coast. North Alabama, yes. Too humid here to do the foundation and all that jazz. I have to do the eyes. Mine are small and being a redhead I have light lashes. I do go to Publix after the gym - in my gym clothes - not tight yoga pants but comfy capris with a longer top to cover my arse. The thing is to be comfortable with who you are regardless of your age. Be yourself.
Being healthy shines through along with a good attitude on life.

Sal

Sal

I love older women.

They're always so grateful.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Salinskyr wrote:I love older women.

Ass hole......

Most of the time  no make-up, a visor, and knock around clothes to go to Lowes or the Wal.

2seaoat

I certainly have NO problem with a little make up.........but it is a rude awakening to see the cultural differences in parts of America. I am now living in a farm community. Farmers just do not put make up on to go to the store. Sure if you go out on a Friday or Saturday, you will see people with some make up, but not like I see caked on people in the middle of the day at the Pace Walmart or Lowes. It was disarming at first. I remember my daughter's wedding where they had a make up person for all the bridesmaids, mother of the bride, and the bride. I held my tongue, but the person over did it and I found it strange looking at my wife's beautiful skin painted and her eyes looking like she was trick or treating.....I can say things here, but I was smart enough to shut the F up at the wedding......oh you all look so beautiful.........they did, but a little less makeup would help.

Linda, I completely get a skin condition. We have a beautiful friend who over did the sun as a young girl and her face has suffered horrible damage, and without make up she really at 66 should not go out to the store. I am talking about thirty something women with children walking next to them who look like they could be on a street corner in Cicero. Also, I never wore jewlery. I got a high school ring and almost lost my finger in the basketball net, and was a machinist working my way through school and a spinning grinder wheel catching a bracelet or ring means you leave with fewer body parts. I never wore a watch, or a wedding ring, and I have very strong feelings about people garnished with a lot of jewelry.....so surf and I share that disdain. I guess you might say I am incredibly boring.....I find beauty in nature, and the natural state, not man made enhancements.......by the way....what ever happened to Surf?

Vikingwoman

I have never been a sun worshiper even when I was young I hated baking in the sun. Now I'm glad I didn't. I still wear sunscreen religiously. Recently I was at a funeral and saw my g'daughters paternal grandmother and was visibly shocked at her appearance. She is about the same age as I am but she looked like she was literally burnt in a fire. Her face and arms had clumps of skin hanging down that looked like she had melted. I asked my daughter if she had been in a fire and she said "no, that's sun damage." It was quite unbelievable what the sun can do over the years.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:

Ass hole......

Most of the time  no make-up, a visor, and knock around clothes to go to Lowes or the Wal.

I said "older women", not angry old termagants.

I have standards.

Vikingwoman

LOL! What's a "termagant?"

Vikingwoman

Never mind.

termagant
n
a scolding, nagging, bad-tempered woman

Synonyms:
shrew

Types:
virago
a noisy or scolding or domineering woman
yenta
(Yiddish) a vulgar shrew; a shallow coarse termagant

Type of:
disagreeable woman, unpleasant woman
a woman who is an unpleasant person

A yenta! Now I've heard of that.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Salinsky wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Ass hole......

I have standards.

Even more of an ass.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
Salinsky wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Ass hole......

I have standards.

Even more of an ass.

Try squats ...

... or maybe a salad every once in a while.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Sal...you're being bratty...

My youngest daughter's wedding was on PB 4/8/16. We also had a makeup artist, but she didn't pile it on. I'm used to wearing minimal makeup...but I have white eyelashes too. I wear sunscreen every day since my skin cancer surgery in 2012...and a hat if I'm at the beach, and even then I have to be careful not to stay in the sun too long.

Anyway, my SIL's father hosted a dinner for 30 at Hemmingway's...lots of o.o.t. guests...but the food was just not that good...

The ceremony itself was on Opal Beach, with just immediate family, but the reception at the Dock was a blast. At one point, a young man asked my daughter if he could dance with the bridesmaids...there was only one...my other daughter...so he asked if he could dance with the mother of the bride. Her answer...priceless..."Sure, if you want to unleash that..." Hahahaha...she knows me. So I had 3 young men as dance partners...it was hilarious and fun.

Laughing "if you want to unleash that" Laughing Laughing Wedding memory history!

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:I find beauty in nature, and the natural state, not man made enhancements.......by the way....what ever happened to Surf?

Well, as for me, sea, I can find beauty in both, when the "man-made enhancements" are done well.  That's all subjective judgment, of course.

As for surf, I haven't heard anything about him in a very long time.  I know his kitchen equipment stores, both on Palafox in Pensacola and in Alabama (Gulf Shores? Orange Beach? don't recall which) went out of business.  I believe this was after he moved to Orange Beach.  Seems to me I used to see him posting here from time to time, but it's been years now.

OK, I just checked the member list and surfnrg (had forgotten those last three letters, short for "energy"), last posted here on Jan. 2, 2014.  

I wish him well, but I sure don't miss him.

RealLindaL

Googling R M Orange Beach brings up lots of reasonably current hits, so I guess surf is still around.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum