Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pie Charts and Bar Graphs - whole story?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Because our tax system is so screwed and skewed, no politician really wants to touch it. But does this article tell the whole story? Can we draw many conclusions that are not the same from the same "data?" Just because it's a news article on the internet does not make it "sound" information.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/45-of-americans-pay-no-federal-income-tax-2016-02-24

Sal

Sal

SheWrites wrote:Because our tax system is so screwed and skewed, no politician really wants to touch it.  But does this article tell the whole story?  Can we draw many conclusions that are not the same from the same "data?"  Just because it's a news article on the internet does not make it "sound" information.  

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/45-of-americans-pay-no-federal-income-tax-2016-02-24

It's not the whole story because it looks only at federal income tax.

There's a lot more than that flowing into the general fund.

We need tax reform, but it's not because working poor people are living high on the hog.

It's because income inequality is out of control in this country.

If you want the working poor to pay more taxes, then PAY THEM MORE.

Salinsky wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Because our tax system is so screwed and skewed, no politician really wants to touch it.  But does this article tell the whole story?  Can we draw many conclusions that are not the same from the same "data?"  Just because it's a news article on the internet does not make it "sound" information.  

It's not the whole story because it looks only at federal income tax.

There's a lot more than that flowing into the general fund.

We need tax reform, but it's not because working poor people are living high on the hog.

It's because income inequality is out of control in this country.

If you want the working poor to pay more taxes, then PAY THEM MORE.

Take the low income worker. They are not paying federal INCOME tax but they are paying federal taxes on gas and cell phones for example. So many of these articles are "us vs them" and it only serves to continue the misinformation that so many stand on as foundational.

boards of FL

boards of FL

I'll never understand the mindset that seeks to demonize people who make so little that they have no federal income tax liability. Nor do I understand the need to demonize teachers as some sort of free-loaders who live high on the hog with summers off. Or immigrants who bust their asses looking for a better life for their families.

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:I'll never understand the mindset that seeks to demonize people who make so little that they have no federal income tax liability.  Nor do I understand the need to demonize teachers as some sort of free-loaders who live high on the hog with summers off.  Or immigrants who bust their asses looking for a better life for their families.

My son attends a high school with a student population that is 75-80% Hispanic - mostly kids of migrant farm workers from Mexico and Central America.

These people are some of the most decent, family-oriented, and hardest working people I have ever met.

Salt of the Earth.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Salinsky wrote:
boards of FL wrote:I'll never understand the mindset that seeks to demonize people who make so little that they have no federal income tax liability.  Nor do I understand the need to demonize teachers as some sort of free-loaders who live high on the hog with summers off.  Or immigrants who bust their asses looking for a better life for their families.

My son attends a high school with a student population that is 75-80% Hispanic - mostly kids of migrant farm workers from Mexico and Central America.

These people are some of the most decent, family-oriented, and hardest working people I have ever met.

Salt of the Earth.

Agreed...I grew up that way, too.  I love Hispanic language, culture, literature and art...oops, left out the FOOD.  But I have a new friend that I met at my daughter's wedding (Friday the 8th on PB) who is Puerto Rican, and she sends me stuff in Spanish on FB...Seaoat was talking about not remembering the language even though he immersed himself in it.  I have never lost all of it, but I trip up on words, so now I have a way to "brush up".  Have you read 100 Years of Solitude?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

And on the subject of this thread, here's the link again to the article I just posted on taxes:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-17350-9-things-the-rich-dont-want-you-to-know-about-taxes.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum