Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

pick up trucks

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1pick up trucks Empty pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 8:04 am

2seaoat

What a cultural oddity. I go by the Navarre High school and I have never seen so many pick up trucks at a high school anywhere. What a waste of resources. I use my dump truck for its intended purpose about every two weeks. To drive the same every day is bone chilling stupid. What peer pressure that men drive pick up trucks.......it is beyond sheep like.

2pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 8:23 am

Great vehicle for boys.  Toss the sports equipment in the back, the surfboard, help out folks with moving things.  Practical.  Also, in a used market you can buy an old truck and know the kid has a reliable mode of transportation.

Or girls.  

Didn't mean to seem sexist.

3pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 9:14 am

Why do you care Seaot?

4pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 9:16 am

I've taken to fixing up 70's ford pickups... on my second one now. I just feel a strong affinity for them. I thght I'd get too attached to sell it after it was sound again... but I think I like them more when they're near junk and I can help it... lol.

Btw... I bought the first one for 1500 and put about 3k into it... and sold it for 7k to a kid in his 20s. I was asking a fair 10k (turned down 9k)... but he absolutely fell in love with it and I wanted him to have it... lol. Got this new one for 500 from a first owner farmer. It's in rough shape... just finished the entire brake system. Starting on the suspension soon.

5pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 10:03 am

Hallmarkgard

Learn how to replace "Kingpins" yet? LOL

6pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 10:07 am

Vikingwoman

I drive a pickup truck and will never go back to a car. I haul refrigerators, my lawn tractor, home improvement stuff and yard sale finds. It has a crew cab and has been the most convenient vehicle I ever had. Love it!

7pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 10:58 am

Hallmarkgard wrote:Learn how to replace "Kingpins" yet? LOL

Oh yea... lol. After a ton of beating and cussing. I had the first one pressed out by a machine shop... and swore I'd have it fully done for the other side. But they wanted to use the moog replacement which is plastic bushings and washers. I didn't want that so I used metal which was torture... had to ream them to make them fit. The second one went smoother and now I'm pretty sure I'll be good as I bought a hydrologic press and have a good drill press. All of the ball joints and u joints were tough too... but the right tools really help. I use all original metal suspension parts... the new stuff just doesn't measure up. This place has been awesome... right here in michigan. www.broncograveyard.com

8pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 11:42 am

Hallmarkgard

I used to do a lot of fleet work on old Ford Trucks. Kingpins can be a real bitch but as you say, the more you do , the better you learn how to do it. I can pound out a set of U joints with just 2 sockets and a hammer pretty quick. LOL Been a while sinceI did a set of front drum brakes. Have fun. Great Hobby..

9pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 11:55 am

That's how I pull them too. The front ones off the old dana drives at the wheel are tough. I'm just going to pull the axles this time... as I wound up replacing the ring and pinion and steering rack anyway. It's amazing how great an old truck drives after that. This one is a 79... disc front and power steering. Fancy... lol.

10pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 1:16 pm

Fords work well. Lots of old ones still on roads. Would like to find me one. Many are rusted out and people still want top $

11pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 1:30 pm

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:What a cultural oddity.   I go by the Navarre High school and I have never seen so many pick up trucks at a high school anywhere.  What a waste of resources.  I use my dump truck for its intended purpose about  every two weeks.  To drive the same [pickup truck] every day is bone chilling stupid.  What peer pressure that men drive pick up trucks.......it is beyond sheep like.

Say WHAAAAT?

12pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 1:33 pm

Hallmarkgard

My old 81 on s to a new home.  It had over 400,000 on it and it is still running.  LOL

pick up trucks 2h3ua6w
pick up trucks Vctnaw

13pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 1:48 pm

Hallmarkgard

I had this on my tool box for a few years  LOL

pick up trucks 10539sg

14pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 2:16 pm

Niiice... I especially like that carb. This truck just had 70 k on it... but was a working farm 70k. The old guy said it hadn't run for about 8 years... had no brakes. I just made sure the 351m hadn't ceased before I bought it. I have a 460 that I was prepared to throw in it... I built it for a guy a couple of years ago that stiffed me on it. But I just put plugs and points etc on this and new gas and it fired right up... runs strong now. This isn't the exact truck I wanted... but it was a good deal.

15pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 2:30 pm

What? wrote:Fords work well. Lots of old ones still on roads. Would like to find me one. Many are rusted out and people still want top $

It takes me awhile to find a good one for a reasonable price... but the deals are out there. I'm still on the look out for a 1975 f250 4x4 4 speed with the 300 6 cylinder... or the correct tranny so that I can put the 300 in it. I'll find one eventually.

16pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 2:32 pm

Hallmarkgard

One of my co-workers at the ship yard special ordered that truck back in 80. Had dual tanks, heavy suspension and c-6 behind a 302. We used it as a work truck to go work on different boats. It could take a hell of load with the air shocks pumped up. It used to have a big camper. When we build the ferries for North Carolina we put the truck/camper on the ferry and lived out of it while we delivered it. Bad news was that it got a lot of salt water on it. It started to rust after those trips but not too bad. Great, rugged damn truck. Never let me down. Well one time a front brake calliper stuck but I just blocked the line and brought it on home. I got a good deal on the Carb/Mainfold. I really liked it.

17pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 5:15 pm

2seaoat

Again, I have a one ton chevy dump truck and it is a tool for when I am working....it gets eight miles to the gallon, and I drive it when I have work....,.my comment at the high school is that it is a fashion statement.....a flock of sheep following, I get it as a tool.....but I have been all over the country, and I have NEVER seen so many peekups in a high school parking lot.....I guess if I wanted to be cool in high school I would have drove one, but I put a wrecked 1961 ford falcon back together from a front end wreck....bought it for fifty bucks and fixed it while painted it lime green....great gas mileage and got me to my work after school....who could afford the gas for a pick up truck.....a lot of mommy and daddy help in that parking lot.......Oh, and I am talking about newer trucks....not beaters.

18pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 5:46 pm

HEY... you better not be calling my old truck a beater... even though it kinda is right now... lol. I need a big 4x4 up here... and I could've bought almost anything. But I like old school trucks. I get lots of waves and can't pull over without someone saying something. Screw yuppie trucks and your yuppie prius with a tow package. Ok... I'm done... lol.

19pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 6:10 pm

knothead

knothead

I so admire you guys who can tear old stuff down and put it back together, I really do . . . never applied myself to such but I do admire the knowledge and confidence required . . . . . hell I always ended up with bolts or screws extra, wtf!

20pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 7:36 pm

Markle

Markle

PkrBum wrote:
Hallmarkgard wrote:Learn how to replace "Kingpins" yet?  LOL

Oh yea... lol. After a ton of beating and cussing. I had the first one pressed out by a machine shop... and swore I'd have it  fully done for the other side. But they wanted to use the moog replacement which is plastic bushings and washers. I didn't want that so I used metal which was torture... had to ream them to make them fit. The second one went smoother and now I'm pretty sure I'll be good as I bought a  hydrologic press and have a good drill press. All of the ball joints and u joints were tough too... but the right tools really help. I use all original metal suspension parts... the new stuff just doesn't measure up. This place has been awesome... right here in michigan. www.broncograveyard.com

My Ol' Man was a mechanic so I was always able to get some coaching. Every time a special tool would make a job easier, I'd buy it rather than rent or borrow. Paid off a thousand times over.

When I worked most on cars and motorcycles was when my wife had a '67 Lemans Convertible, I had a '66 GTO, a Harley bagger plus 4-6 dirt bikes. One was specifically for racing enduros.

I had to replace the ball joints on the GTO. I pounded on those rivets until I was blue in the face. I finally got them out on the left side. Gave up. Bought an air compressor and pneumatic impact tool and air wrench. After that...life was good!

I still have all the tools, plus my Ol' Man's and have to do something with them all.

My first vehicle I could take to school was a Ford F-100 pickup truck. Three on the tree, bench seat, metal floor with vinyl mats. I guess it was about a 55 or so. LOVED that truck. I did break down and sold it when my Ol' Man called one day, I had just graduated high school, and asked if I wanted to buy an XK-120 Jaguar convertible. He had a Harley bagger, in spite of having an artificial leg I could ride when he wasn't.

Our high school parking lot was filled with everything from old pickup trucks with guns and gun racks on the back window too late model sport cars. I did love riding the hog to school. Life was good!

21pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 11:41 pm

Hallmarkgard

Back in the early 60s I used to be pretty big in the local drag racing scene.  It was pretty wild with all the new cars coming line   I built some pretty good cars and some not so good, but it was a learning experience that I later made my living from what I learned.  I met some folks that went to to be big time racers.  I will not bore you with the names because you might say I am lying. LOL  I was drafted in 64 and when I got out in 68 so much had changed I never go back into it.  I did build a wild 63 vete with a 427.God only knows why that car did not kill me.  Did not kill me but put me in jail for racing of Pace Blvd one night.  Markle. One time at the Steak House on Garden street Arlen]Vanke from Royal Pontiac came by to show his new ride.  He was driving one of the "Swiss Cheese" Catalinas and had a FX Tempest in tow.  Crazy stuff.  It was a great time.  
pick up trucks 2lo6fig

22pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/30/2016, 11:52 pm

Hallmarkgard

Off topic but this one one great guy.  I met him in Texas at a big drag meet between Don Garlits and the Howard cam special.  Potter was there and made a pass on a wet track.  Totally unreal.  He went on to do all type of cool things.
http://thekneeslider.com/e-j-potter-the-michigan-madman-r-i-p/

23pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/31/2016, 12:07 am

2seaoat wrote:Again, I have a one ton chevy dump truck and it is a tool for when I am working....it gets eight miles to the gallon, and I drive it when I have work....,.my comment at the high school is that it is a fashion statement.....a flock of sheep following, I get it as a tool.....but I have been all over the country, and I have NEVER seen so many peekups in a high school parking lot.....I guess if I wanted to be cool in high school I would have drove one, but I put a wrecked 1961 ford falcon back together from a front end wreck....bought it for fifty bucks and fixed it while painted it lime green....great gas mileage and got me to my work after school....who could afford the gas for a pick up truck.....a lot of mommy and daddy help in that parking lot.......Oh, and I am talking about newer trucks....not beaters.

They are teenagers. Why does an old man get mad at what teenagers do?

24pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 3/31/2016, 11:11 am

2seaoat

They are teenagers. Why does an old man get mad at what teenagers do?

Who is mad.....it was just an observation of how teenagers are sheep and apparently having a pick up truck is the new expensive cool.......there is nothing cool when I am in the one ton Chevy dump.....it bounces my liver, it gobbles up gas, and I am usually covered with dirt from the gravel dust. I start working on my island roads in two weeks as the flooding this winter was not that bad. I could see if some of these kids were using them as tools, but like I said being cool is easy if mom and dad are paying your gas bills. I had to pay my own gas and insurance in high school, and the last thing I would have driven is a gas guzzling show off truck.

25pick up trucks Empty Re: pick up trucks 4/1/2016, 11:59 pm

2seaoat wrote:Again, I have a one ton chevy dump truck and it is a tool for when I am working....it gets eight miles to the gallon, and I drive it when I have work....,.my comment at the high school is that it is a fashion statement.....a flock of sheep following, I get it as a tool.....but I have been all over the country, and I have NEVER seen so many peekups in a high school parking lot.....I guess if I wanted to be cool in high school I would have drove one, but I put a wrecked 1961 ford falcon back together from a front end wreck....bought it for fifty bucks and fixed it while painted it lime green....great gas mileage and got me to my work after school....who could afford the gas for a pick up truck.....a lot of mommy and daddy help in that parking lot.......Oh, and I am talking about newer trucks....not beaters.

Brother, do you ever have anything positive to say? Kids are kids. Do you resent the cars that kids are driving? Don't tell me you are trolling the lot off HIGH SCHOOL DRIVE in Navarre.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum