Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ky fried chicken buffet

+2
RealLindaL
2seaoat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Ky fried chicken buffet 3/28/2016, 5:56 pm

2seaoat

I have not been a fan of KY fried chicken for a decade. They are overpriced and the quality of their chicken has declined from thirty years ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the Tiger Point restaurant where my wife and I enjoyed a wonderful fair priced buffet. The chicken was fresh and good quality, the slaw was great, the biscuits, and mashed potatoes were also very good, and they had traditional salad bar selections. We will definitely try it again in Navarre and see if it was a fluke, or unique to that restaurant.

Also, can anybody explain why the gas station restaurant east of the KY fried chicken never opened up. They finished the building in 2007 before the down turn and it has been sitting empty, with clear gang graffiti on it last year which has been painted over.....I just do not get how such a prime spot was built and finished, and then abandoned. I would be curious if there is a government problem or environmental problem.

2Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 3/28/2016, 6:08 pm

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:I would be curious if there is a government problem or environmental problem.

At the time it was reported to be a financing problem the developer ran into.  Why no one has picked it up for re-development, I haven't a clue.  Seems a prime location for something, but that corner certainly doesn't call for another gas station, IMHO.

As for the KY Fried, hubby and I have partaken of that buffet several times ourselves when splurging on fried food and carbs, and have always been pleased.  Can't beat the price, either.

3Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 3/28/2016, 11:29 pm

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I have not been a fan of  KY fried chicken for a decade.  They are overpriced and the quality of their chicken has declined from thirty years ago.  I was pleasantly surprised at the Tiger Point restaurant where my wife and I enjoyed a wonderful fair priced buffet.   The chicken was fresh and good quality, the slaw was great, the biscuits, and mashed potatoes were also very good, and they had traditional salad bar selections.  We will definitely try it again in Navarre and see if it was a fluke, or unique to that restaurant.

Also, can anybody explain why the gas station restaurant east of the KY fried chicken never opened up.  They finished the building in 2007 before the down turn and it has been sitting empty, with clear gang graffiti on it last year which has been painted over.....I just do not get how such a prime spot was built and finished, and then abandoned.  I would be curious if there is a government problem or environmental problem.

Did they have the Nashville hot chicken?

The year it was finished should give you a clue.  Check the public record on line if you're reeally that curious.

4Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 3/28/2016, 11:36 pm

2seaoat

I just like their grilled chicken breasts. The original recipe I will have every once and a while, but when I was in high school and during the summers in college I worked on car dealerships. On Saturdays the General manager would always get a couple of buckets of KY chicken and put it in the lounge for the public and employees.......I ate a great deal of chicken.......but one day I just had enough and did not eat it again for about five years.......strangest thing in that it had never happened before. I have it so infrequently now that it is actually a treat. When I return to Illinois I will not have it for a year. We have a great private chicken restaurant which is the best I have ever had......but like Linda said the price is fair.

5Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 3/29/2016, 3:07 am

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I just like their grilled chicken breasts.  The original recipe I will have every once and a while, but when I was in high school and during the summers in college I worked on car dealerships.   On Saturdays the General manager would always get a couple of buckets of KY chicken and put it in the lounge for the public and employees.......I ate a great deal of chicken.......but one day I just had enough and did not eat it again for about five years.......strangest thing in that it had never happened before.   I have it so infrequently now that it is actually a treat.  When I return to Illinois I will not have it for a year.   We have a great private chicken restaurant which is the best I have ever had......but like Linda said the price is fair.

I have a KFC just several blocks from where I live. It has been there for years and I've never bought anything.

My favorite is Popeye's spicy chicken, dark meat. It is about a 4 mile trip from where I live but I'll do that before KFC. I do love spicy food.

6Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 3/29/2016, 10:08 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Markle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I just like their grilled chicken breasts.  The original recipe I will have every once and a while, but when I was in high school and during the summers in college I worked on car dealerships.   On Saturdays the General manager would always get a couple of buckets of KY chicken and put it in the lounge for the public and employees.......I ate a great deal of chicken.......but one day I just had enough and did not eat it again for about five years.......strangest thing in that it had never happened before.   I have it so infrequently now that it is actually a treat.  When I return to Illinois I will not have it for a year.   We have a great private chicken restaurant which is the best I have ever had......but like Linda said the price is fair.

I have a KFC just several blocks from where I live.  It has been there for years and I've never bought anything.

My favorite is Popeye's spicy chicken, dark meat.  It is about a 4 mile trip from where I live but I'll do that before KFC.  I do love spicy food.

We had Popeyes last week... I love the spicy chicken too. We stopped going several years ago because the chicken kept getting skinnier and skinnier.

7Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 4/3/2016, 12:15 am

Markle

Markle

2seaoat, I tried the Nashville chicken. KFC must have a terrible problem with quality control. It was the worst chicken I think I have ever tasted. It wasn't until I got home with it that it was obvious the chicken was burned black. I thought, well, maybe it's the spices. Nope, taste of burned chicken and dry as a board.

Sometimes out of convenience, I'd pick up a fried chicken at Publix. There I expect it to be a little dry sitting under those lights.

They gave me a receipt with a number to use to complete a "Satisfaction Survey". So I did. No hostility, just answered the questions honestly. They answered the same night with a form letter thanking me and offering a voucher or coupon for another meal.

Been at least 10 years since I had KFC and, with regard to the one here, it will be more than that the next time.

Whenever I travel to another city I ask someone at the host board or whatever other group has hired me for the best local restaurant. I only go to a chain as a last resort. I can't recall where I've ever been disappointed.

8Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 4/3/2016, 3:29 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

We like Publix fried chicken and their wings.

9Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 4/3/2016, 9:22 am

knothead

knothead

I so miss the fried chicken from Hopkins Boarding House back in the day!
Best ever . . . . PASS THE RUTABAGAS PLEASE!!!!! LOL

10Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 4/3/2016, 11:52 am

knothead wrote:I so miss the fried chicken from Hopkins Boarding House back in the day!

Loved that place! Someone said McGuires fried chicken is the Hopkins House recipe. I need to go try it sometime and taste for myself.

11Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 4/3/2016, 12:35 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:I so miss the fried chicken from Hopkins Boarding House back in the day!

My former SIL is a local electrician. Several years ago (1999???), his company sent he and a partner to do electrical work in the kitchen at Hopkins Boarding House. They were aghast at the filth and uncleanliness they saw (and roaches, too). After they completed their job, they were offered a complimentary meal, which they both declined. You are talking about two local rednecks turning down some 'down home' cooking.

My employer's (at the time) office was located in the downtown area, and Hopkins was an eatery we would sometimes frequent for lunch. A coworker tried to get me to go one day after my SIL told the wife and I about what they saw at Hopkins, and I refused to eat there again after that.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

12Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 4/3/2016, 1:05 pm

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

My former SIL is a local electrician. Several years ago (1999???), his company sent he and a partner to do electrical work in the kitchen at Hopkins Boarding House. They were aghast at the filth and uncleanliness they saw (and roaches, too). After they completed their job, they were offered a complimentary meal, which they both declined. You are talking about two local rednecks turning down some 'down home' cooking.

My employer's (at the time) office was located in the downtown area, and Hopkins was an eatery we would sometimes frequent for lunch. A coworker tried to get me to go one day after my SIL told the wife and I about what they saw at Hopkins, and I refused to eat there again after that.

Good Lord . . . . you could have kept that to yourself Z . . . . all I can say I ate the heck out of it and never got ill so I'll consider myself fortunate. Actually I am not surprised . . . . wonder if the KFC's or other fast food outlets are clean too . . . . oh well, it was good!

13Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 4/3/2016, 2:28 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Good Lord . . . . you could have kept that to yourself Z . . . . all I can say I ate the heck out of it and never got ill so I'll consider myself fortunate. Actually I am not surprised . . . . wonder if the KFC's or other fast food outlets are clean too . . . . oh well, it was good!

Sorry, Knothead..... When I was 18, I briefly worked at a McDonald's in the city I grew-up in, and based on what I saw, I didn't eat there for a whole year after I quit.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

14Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 4/3/2016, 10:25 pm

Markle

Markle

I think some of you are real weenies.

Over the decades, some of my favorite places to eat were dives. There were a couple in Key West. One was in such an old building on Front Street near the Turtle Kralls that it actually leaned to one side. GREAT lobster stew with chunks of Florida lobster. GREAT sea turtle steaks. Another joint was in a residential neighborhood, a bit newer open only for lunch with the best picadillo and ropa veija I've ever enjoyed.

I've been on the other side of the counter too. I worked as a pearl diver in a bowling alley. No automatic dishwasher. Two huge basins with a gas burner under each side to heat the water. They had a terrific cook with a drinking problem. The kitchen pantry had an adjoining door with the bar. When dinner slowed down, big hefty woman, she'd disappear to her stool in the bar. From then until closing I handled the cooking, busing dishes, dishwashing and serviced the machines in back if anything went wrong.

The place wasn't filthy but we did have mice and roaches. We kept them under control. The food was a lot better than you'd expect in a bowling alley.

The blues club I go to is an old CBS house with walls taken out. Down a long, dirt road that you have to know which fork to take. Sometimes they have food but not always. When they do, it's great and the music is incredible. I've been going there for probably 20 years. A lady friend of mine also loves blues...she won't go with me. So the Harley and I go alone.

So if a sterile place is number one in deciding a place to eat, that's great. You just might be missing something.

15Ky fried chicken buffet Empty Re: Ky fried chicken buffet 4/4/2016, 2:45 am

Markle

Markle

Joanimaroni wrote:We like Publix fried chicken and their wings.

I do as well if I can get them fresh. Sometimes I'm there at weird hours and they've been there a while and have dried.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum