Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone for folk scare era?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Anyone for folk scare era? 3/9/2016, 2:32 am

RealLindaL

Wondering if anyone else here (besides yours truly) plays acoustic/folk guitar and/or sings (or even just enjoys hearing) folk music from the 1960's?  Talking basically PP&M, Baez, Paxton, that group -- other than protest songs.  I also do an eclectic mix of other covers, mundane stuff such as John Denver, a couple of Jim Croce, and onesy-twosies of other artists including even a little bluegrass.
I can't abide what passes for "folk" music today; the modern stuff is first of all impossible to memorize for an old fogy like me, since the lyrics often go on and on and on with very few if any repeats, and second of all seems very narcissistic, all about each and every emotion of the song writer, droning on and on ad infinitum.

2Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 3/21/2016, 7:29 pm

2seaoat

You would enjoy some of the young people like Mumford and son. After they came to a small town where President Reagan went to high school, I have enjoyed their music.

3Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 3/26/2016, 1:11 am

RealLindaL

Had given up on any replies to this thread and stopped checking -- plus had house guests for a few days this week -- so missed your post, Sea.   About to head to bed but will give a listen to  your video tomorrow.  Thx.   Still doesn't answer whether or not you like any of the music I mentioned.   Seems there are very few of us left who do.  I play for myself these days.

4Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 10/5/2016, 11:58 am

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:Wondering if anyone else here (besides yours truly) plays acoustic/folk guitar and/or sings (or even just enjoys hearing) folk music from the 1960's?  Talking basically PP&M, Baez, Paxton, that group -- other than protest songs.  I also do an eclectic mix of other covers, mundane stuff such as John Denver, a couple of Jim Croce, and onesy-twosies of other artists including even a little bluegrass.
I can't abide what passes for "folk" music today; the modern stuff is first of all impossible to memorize for an old fogy like me, since the lyrics often go on and on and on with very few if any repeats, and second of all seems very narcissistic, all about each and every emotion of the song writer, droning on and on ad infinitum.

Louis Armstrong said all music is folk music because he never heard a horse sing a song. Still listen to Dylan and Phil Ochs every now and then. Maybe that's why I like Gaga because evidently she listens to Phil Ochs too. Saw this group a while back and they were awesome.

This video doesn't capture the image of them doing part of this number flat on their backs. The fiddle player with his legs straight up in the air kicking his heels.

5Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 2/17/2017, 11:25 am

I am a little late to the party, since this thread is over a year old.
But that's usually how I roll. Very Happy

Last edited by panhandler on 8/21/2017, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 4/14/2017, 6:25 pm

RealLindaL

Hey Pan, saw the great article in today's PNJ about your Wednesday folk group at Artel.  Congrats! You may be overrun with new participants!
But hey, I didn't seem to see any capos anywhere in the pics. Are they disallowed in your group, or something? I use a capo with probably about 95% of my songs...

7Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 5/2/2017, 8:50 am

del.capslock

del.capslock

Telstar wrote:
Louis Armstrong said all music is folk music because he never heard a horse sing a song. Still listen to Dylan and Phil Ochs every now and then. Maybe that's why I like Gaga because evidently she listens to Phil Ochs too. Saw this group a while back and they were awesome.

This video doesn't capture the image of them doing part of this number flat on their backs. The fiddle player with his legs straight up in the air kicking his heels.

WOW!

I gotta get out more!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

8Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 5/2/2017, 12:28 pm

Telstar

Telstar

del.capslock wrote:
Telstar wrote:

WOW!

I gotta get out more!

Something original.

9Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 8/2/2017, 2:40 am

polecat

polecat

Not folk but some good picking & singing.
Not a religious person just reminds me of music in church when I was a kid.

https://youtu.be/iFe8k5ZrAFs

10Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 8/6/2017, 5:51 pm

RealLindaL

LOVE IT, polecat! Great gospel stuff with heavy bluegrass influence. I don't play anything like that -- and couldn't do it justice without all the harmony and instrumentation a band can provide -- but really enjoyed listening to it, even though there's not a religious bone in my body. Thanks! Had me a-tappin' and-a movin'. Big picker upper for anyone! Smile

11Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 8/6/2017, 6:13 pm

polecat

polecat

those two ladies Courtney Patton & Jamie Lin Wilson actually play a lot more Texas honky-tonks than they do churches. Part of the Red Dirt genre.

12Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 8/7/2017, 2:33 pm

RealLindaL

polecat wrote: those two ladies Courtney Patton & Jamie Lin Wilson actually play a lot more Texas honky-tonks than they do churches. Part of the Red Dirt genre.

Never heard of it. Learn something new every day!

13Anyone for folk scare era? Empty Re: Anyone for folk scare era? 8/7/2017, 4:44 pm

polecat

polecat

It's basically Americana music out of Oklahoma and Texas.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum