This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone for folk scare era?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Anyone for folk scare era? on Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:32 am

Wondering if anyone else here (besides yours truly) plays acoustic/folk guitar and/or sings (or even just enjoys hearing) folk music from the 1960's?  Talking basically PP&M, Baez, Paxton, that group -- other than protest songs.  I also do an eclectic mix of other covers, mundane stuff such as John Denver, a couple of Jim Croce, and onesy-twosies of other artists including even a little bluegrass.
I can't abide what passes for "folk" music today; the modern stuff is first of all impossible to memorize for an old fogy like me, since the lyrics often go on and on and on with very few if any repeats, and second of all seems very narcissistic, all about each and every emotion of the song writer, droning on and on ad infinitum.

View user profile

2 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:29 pm

You would enjoy some of the young people like Mumford and son. After they came to a small town where President Reagan went to high school, I have enjoyed their music.

View user profile

3 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:11 am

Had given up on any replies to this thread and stopped checking -- plus had house guests for a few days this week -- so missed your post, Sea.   About to head to bed but will give a listen to  your video tomorrow.  Thx.   Still doesn't answer whether or not you like any of the music I mentioned.   Seems there are very few of us left who do.  I play for myself these days.

View user profile

4 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:58 am

RealLindaL wrote:Wondering if anyone else here (besides yours truly) plays acoustic/folk guitar and/or sings (or even just enjoys hearing) folk music from the 1960's?  Talking basically PP&M, Baez, Paxton, that group -- other than protest songs.  I also do an eclectic mix of other covers, mundane stuff such as John Denver, a couple of Jim Croce, and onesy-twosies of other artists including even a little bluegrass.
I can't abide what passes for "folk" music today; the modern stuff is first of all impossible to memorize for an old fogy like me, since the lyrics often go on and on and on with very few if any repeats, and second of all seems very narcissistic, all about each and every emotion of the song writer, droning on and on ad infinitum.


Louis Armstrong said all music is folk music because he never heard a horse sing a song. Still listen to Dylan and Phil Ochs every now and then. Maybe that's why I like Gaga because evidently she listens to Phil Ochs too. Saw this group a while back and they were awesome.




This video doesn't capture the image of them doing part of this number flat on their backs. The fiddle player with his legs straight up in the air kicking his heels.

View user profile

5 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:25 am

I am a little late to the party, since this thread is over a year old.
But that's usually how I roll. Very Happy



Last edited by panhandler on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

6 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Hey Pan, saw the great article in today's PNJ about your Wednesday folk group at Artel.  Congrats! You may be overrun with new participants!
But hey, I didn't seem to see any capos anywhere in the pics. Are they disallowed in your group, or something? I use a capo with probably about 95% of my songs...

View user profile

7 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 am

Telstar wrote:
Louis Armstrong said all music is folk music because he never heard a horse sing a song. Still listen to Dylan and Phil Ochs every now and then. Maybe that's why I like Gaga because evidently she listens to Phil Ochs too. Saw this group a while back and they were awesome.




This video doesn't capture the image of them doing part of this number flat on their backs. The fiddle player with his legs straight up in the air kicking his heels.

WOW!

I gotta get out more!

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

8 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 pm

del.capslock wrote:
Telstar wrote:
Louis Armstrong said all music is folk music because he never heard a horse sing a song. Still listen to Dylan and Phil Ochs every now and then. Maybe that's why I like Gaga because evidently she listens to Phil Ochs too. Saw this group a while back and they were awesome.




This video doesn't capture the image of them doing part of this number flat on their backs. The fiddle player with his legs straight up in the air kicking his heels.

WOW!

I gotta get out more!




Something original.

View user profile

9 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:40 am

Not folk but some good picking & singing.
Not a religious person just reminds me of music in church when I was a kid.

https://youtu.be/iFe8k5ZrAFs

View user profile

10 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 pm

LOVE IT, polecat! Great gospel stuff with heavy bluegrass influence. I don't play anything like that -- and couldn't do it justice without all the harmony and instrumentation a band can provide -- but really enjoyed listening to it, even though there's not a religious bone in my body. Thanks! Had me a-tappin' and-a movin'. Big picker upper for anyone! Smile

View user profile

11 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:13 pm

those two ladies Courtney Patton & Jamie Lin Wilson actually play a lot more Texas honky-tonks than they do churches. Part of the Red Dirt genre.

View user profile

12 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:33 pm

polecat wrote: those two ladies Courtney Patton & Jamie Lin Wilson actually play a lot more Texas honky-tonks than they do churches. Part of the Red Dirt genre.

Never heard of it. Learn something new every day!

View user profile

13 Re: Anyone for folk scare era? on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:44 pm

It's basically Americana music out of Oklahoma and Texas.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum