Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Florida Sheriffs Association

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Florida Sheriffs Association Empty Florida Sheriffs Association 3/1/2016, 1:40 am

RealLindaL

Received today the annual request for funds for the subject organization via a letter headlined, "From SHERIFF David Morgan."

How do you people feel about receiving a solicitation from the local sheriff?  Even if it's a worthy organization, it just reminds me of those annoying phone calls from phony outfits purporting to represent valid law enforcement organizations.  

We usually just toss out the letter, though I sometimes (as this year) have to prevent my husband from sending it back -- not with a check, but a smart written retort.   Don't need to do that.

I just wonder how y'all feel about it.   Maybe it's old school to think this way, but to me it just seems off base -- almost a strong-arm thing, with the unspoken threat hanging in the air that if you don't contribute, maybe we won't respond to your emergency quite as fast.  

Know what I mean?  Am I wrong?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I toss them. No big deal.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I remember when the Police Benevolent Association would call you and really press you for a $25 donation. As soon as you gave (which we did, in the beginning), the calls would aggressively increase for every other "benevolence association" associated with government.

It turns out, the calls were coming from a call center, and the callers were never policemen asking you to help their buddies. Once you gave to one, you were "marked" to be pestered aggressively to give to ALL others (whatever benevolence associations the call center served, which was most of them!). Worse, the call center kept a significantly high portion of what was given. The secret-sauce to ending the aggressive marketing focused against you was to give to none of these agencies and hang-up when they called.

It took about two-years in the 90s to end the pestering, but eventually, they got the message and stopped calling us. My wife would ask them to "please stop calling us."

By hiring call centers to do work they should have done themselves, law-enforcement turned us off to ever being benevolent towards them. We would have been giving under different circumstances.

When Escambia Search and Rescue does its fund-raising by going door-to-door in our neighborhood, they walk away from my house with at least a $25 check. They do it the old-fashioned way, which is the more honorable way.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

As far as mailed solicitations go, Congress or States need to pass laws requiring direct-mail solicitors to pay a tax on every solicitation they mail (this applies to anyone who does direct-mail campaigns). I shredded an unbelievable pile of credit card solicitations the other day.

Think of the waste of trees, energy, landfill-space, and man-hours delivering mail that goes immediately in the garbage once delivered? A 21st-Century model needs to be developed for marketing that discourages such a waste of resources!

I always take the time to open said solicitations and just shred the application within, while everything else goes into my ECUA recycling can. Most of those mailers are recyclable, and why fill my shredder-bin up with paper that did not need to be shredded?

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:I toss them. No big deal.

I'm not saying it's a "big deal," Joani.  Just unseemly for a sheriff to be soliciting, is all, or so I opine.  Heaven knows there are a lot bigger deals going on in the world, but I'd always wondered if others' opinions were the same on this, so I asked.  Thank you for your response.

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:By hiring call centers to do work they should have done themselves, law-enforcement turned us off to ever being benevolent towards them. We would have been giving under different circumstances.

And, as I indicated in my original post, when the sheriff himself signs onto a mailed solicitation, these call center solicitors are brought to mind -- a very poor juxtaposition of images, IMHO, for the sheriff's persona.  We get the same negative feelings about the letter with his name on it as about those calls.

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:As far as mailed solicitations go, Congress or States need to pass laws requiring direct-mail solicitors to pay a tax on every solicitation they mail (this applies to anyone who does direct-mail campaigns). I shredded an unbelievable pile of credit card solicitations the other day.

Think of the waste of trees, energy, landfill-space, and man-hours delivering mail that goes immediately in the garbage once delivered? A 21st-Century model needs to be developed for marketing that discourages such a waste of resources!

I always take the time to open said solicitations and just shred the application within, while everything else goes into my ECUA recycling can. Most of those mailers are recyclable, and why fill my shredder-bin up with paper that did not need to be shredded?

Interesting thoughts on the wastefulness of snail-mailed solicitations, Z-man.  Thanks for sharing.  Wonder if anyone has ever brought this up in Congress or wherever.   (Am guessing not, as it wouldn't likely fly unless/until we ever had an environmentally friendly group in D.C.) 

As to your last paragraph, agree with your shredding philosophy, but couldn't quite tell from the way it was worded whether or not you are also recycling the shredded materials.  Surely you are?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I get emails from SRC politicians. I will respond if I support them by having signs placed on my yard and relatives and friends.

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:I get emails from SRC politicians. I will respond if I support them by having signs placed on my yard and relatives and friends.

A solicitation from a politician seems to me a whole lot different from a solicitation by the sheriff, who's in charge of all the people looking after the security of yourself and your neighborhood.  Just think about it for a minute or two.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

RealLindaL wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:As far as mailed solicitations go, Congress or States need to pass laws requiring direct-mail solicitors to pay a tax on every solicitation they mail (this applies to anyone who does direct-mail campaigns). I shredded an unbelievable pile of credit card solicitations the other day.

Interesting thoughts on the wastefulness of snail-mailed solicitations, Z-man.  Thanks for sharing.  Wonder if anyone has ever brought this up in Congress or wherever.   (Am guessing not, as it wouldn't likely fly unless/until we ever had an environmentally friendly group in D.C.) 

As to your last paragraph, agree with your shredding philosophy, but couldn't quite tell from the way it was worded whether or not you are also recycling the shredded materials.  Surely you are?

Yes, we do recycle the shreds, Linda.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum