Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Be Careful Bad intersection 98 at the Navy Exchange road.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

There is something wrong at this intersection. I am not going to blame it on Navy people using the exchange. I dont know if the light timing is off or bad design but there a lot of wrecks here. Almost all of them in the westbound lane. I travel the area a lot. and there always seems to be wreck there. Just be careful.....

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

hallmarkgrad wrote:There is something wrong at this intersection. I am not going to blame it on Navy people using the exchange. I dont know if the light timing is off or bad design but there a lot of wrecks here. Almost all of them in the westbound lane. I travel the area a lot. and there always seems to be wreck there. Just be careful.....

I have seen some bad wrecks there too, Hallmark. You have to even watch yourself when driving inside the Exchange Mall. People ignore stop signs there every day. Especially those turning out of the main feed from the parking area. When you are entering the complex, they automatically think you are going to turn right to enter the parking complex instead of going straight to the side entrance of the Commissary. I had people run the stop sign and pull in front of me several times. I would honk-em down and give an angry look every time, too.

Let's face it, some of the worst drivers in the world are right here in Pensacola. They run stop signs; especially when making a right turn. They run red lights when turning right. And for most, a yellow light means "gun it and run it" instead of "slow down and prepare to stop, the right is going to turn red." And, these bad habits are passed down as "normal" to young ones coming up, by their parents.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Slicef18

Slicef18

hallmarkgrad wrote:There is something wrong at this intersection. I am not going to blame it on Navy people using the exchange. I dont know if the light timing is off or bad design but there a lot of wrecks here. Almost all of them in the westbound lane. I travel the area a lot. and there always seems to be wreck there. Just be careful.....

The wrecks at 98 & Navy exchange have been a frequent event for years. And your right it's the west bound lane, in fact it's the outside lane of the west bound lane. I've seen it time and again when someone exiting Navy exchange in the right hand lane come up to hwy 98 pause on the brakes and continue on into the hwy 98 west bound traffic and kaboom. It used to happen at the Naval hospital exit on to hwy. 98 also.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Every accident there has been caused by dreamsglore trying to run her stationwagon in to enlisted peoples cars. She has said time and time again on this forum that she hates enlisted people.

I guess I can consider myself fortunate as I travel that stretch of highway daily and sometimes 2 to 3 times a day and I have never seen an accident at that intersection. Maybe I have just not been in the right place at the time or as in this case wrong place at the wrong time.

A vehicle accident is currently blocking traffic along U.S. 98 in West Pensacola at this hour, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

The FHP reported the accident just after 9:30 a.m. at the intersection of U.S.98 and Navy Exchange Road.

Motorists are advised that the accident is blocking the right turn lane of U.S. 98 and should use caution.

No further information is available at this time

This was Friday .I know of at least 2 more times the road has been blocked due to accidents.. But a lot of the times the accidents occur in non rush or off peak hours.
I really think the timing in the east bound lane maybe giving a green at he same time as the West bound. 2 of the wrecks been almost head on. Dont know But something is a miss.

Slicef18

Slicef18

hallmarkgrad wrote:A vehicle accident is currently blocking traffic along U.S. 98 in West Pensacola at this hour, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

The FHP reported the accident just after 9:30 a.m. at the intersection of U.S.98 and Navy Exchange Road.

Motorists are advised that the accident is blocking the right turn lane of U.S. 98 and should use caution.

No further information is available at this time

This was Friday .I know of at least 2 more times the road has been blocked due to accidents.. But a lot of the times the accidents occur in non rush or off peak hours.
I really think the timing in the east bound lane maybe giving a green at he same time as the West bound. 2 of the wrecks been almost head on. Dont know But something is a miss.

I would agree with badly timed or malfunctioning traffic light except for the fact it's only involves traffic turning right on to hwy.98 west. I will say that the traffic light at hwy. 98 and 61 St. is very erratic as in sequencing.

Last edited by Slicef18 on 9/23/2012, 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Slicef18

Slicef18

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I guess I can consider myself fortunate as I travel that stretch of highway daily and sometimes 2 to 3 times a day and I have never seen an accident at that intersection. Maybe I have just not been in the right place at the time or as in this case wrong place at the wrong time.

I, like you frequently travel hwy 98 along navy property, and I can say in the 20 years I've traveled that section of highway I've never seen an accident happen. I've passed by after an accident occurred and I have seen several close calls. My information comes from my neighbor who is a State Trooper.

Slicef18

Slicef18

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

I had people run the stop sign and pull in front of me several times. I would honk-em down and give an angry look every time, too.

Let's face it, some of the worst drivers in the world are right here in Pensacola. They run stop signs; especially when making a right turn. They run red lights when turning right. And for most, a yellow light means "gun it and run it" instead of "slow down and prepare to stop, the right is going to turn red." And, these bad habits are passed down as "normal" to young ones coming up, by their parents.

Honking at people will often solicit a response of being given the finger. People who give you the finger are trying to communicate that they think you're a jerk, a-hole or SOB. Let me suggest a way to deal with people who give you the finger. Smile at them with a great big smile and wave at them vigorously like they are your best friend. This frustrates them because they think you didn't get their message, and there's nothing worse than trying to tell someone they're a jerk and they don't get the message. There's another factor to there frustration, and that is "time." They know there is a limited amount of time for you to get their message of displeasure. Smile wide and wave vigorously. You may also give them a big, "thumbs up" as you smile at them. You can drive on knowing that as much as they tried to ruin your day...........you won. Enjoy the moment.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum