Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Great news

+5
knothead
Sal
ZVUGKTUBM
dumpcare
2seaoat
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Great news Empty Great news 2/5/2016, 10:21 am

2seaoat

Two of the four marble size tumors in my lungs were located in the bronchial tubes which formed a virtual block on my breathing. Much of my weakness over the last four months which required me using a plastic chair when doing physical work was based on my inability to exhale as there was significant blockage. I have been in a great deal of pain for the last two days after surgery which felt like somebody had worked me over with a baseball bat, but this morning for the first time in a year I am breathing freely. You do not think about exhaling because it always seems like the inhaling was important, but it is amazing how easily the air now escapes. I sent an email to the pulmonary team at Northwestern thanking them for the quick response after reviewing my cat scans and giving me this quality for the time I have left. I hope to make my super bowl party on Sunday. I have been going to the same one with high school friends since the early 1970s and reconnecting each year is part of what makes the quality of life so special. I did not think I would make it down to Pensacola this winter, but if I keep improving, I will return to finish the project I started, and cannot wait to run the bobcat and do some more chain sawing. I am beginning to regain my strength and the pain is slowly going away. A very good morning.

2Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 10:52 am

dumpcare

That is good news and I hope you keep improving, you just never know, just might go into remission someday.

3Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 11:11 am

Excellent... I'm glad you're feeling relief. Difficulty breathing is terrible... people don't really understand.

4Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 12:47 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Dittos on PPCA's and Pkrbm's notions, Seaoat. Glad to hear your doing better....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

5Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 1:02 pm

2seaoat

If people only knew the horror of retired leo and Neko's demise with lung issues, it was hard talking with leo by PM. Now I am worried about Bob and hoping we can get some damn good news around here because this has been a tough week for all of us with the passing of T. In my case I thought my weakened state and pneumonia was the final stages of the five inch tumor on the liver, but this has been wonderful. I am taking full breaths for the first time in almost two years. I am feeling my muscles getting O2, and my wife is thrilled. You see the hardest thing is to see the faces of your loved ones when you are facing serious health challenges. It is good to see their relief. I feel like I can live to Christmas or beyond now, and I did not completely share how deteriorated my health had become. Like a poker game, I will take this pot and enjoy, fully understanding that I may be all in and lose everything in the next hand, but for right now, I am having fun stacking my chips.....it is a wonderful change, and I hope z your heart issues can allow you to win a couple hands, because at this age......a win is wonderful.

6Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 1:05 pm

Sal

Sal

Thanks for sharing.

We could use a little good news around here.

This place was getting a little lugubrious.

7Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 1:06 pm

knothead

knothead

Fantastic news Mr. Oats, I am so ecstatic that you have some good news, those of us who have not traveled a path where the most basic of functions, breathing, has been compromised . . . . . well we just have no clue the magnitude of your challenges. Go get that damn Bobcat and carry on my friend, spring is right around the corner! Congratulation!

8Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 1:37 pm

2seaoat

I plan to fill part of a pond and build a turn around road with sandy clay and complete landscaping of some of my already constructed grass roads. I plan to bring my plastic chair and continue chain sawing as I turn a jungle into a beautiful place which I will someday share with others, and finally, I am looking forward to feeling good enough to play poker again......I will be on the bobcat in a week, and only with positive thoughts and hard work. A little more quality time is the best gift, and having gotten my oldest granddaughter a microscope to explore this wonderful world, I can only hope that my quality time can be shared with the grandchildren getting them as excited about this world as I am.

9Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 2:03 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Thanks, Seaoat. The heart issues are one thing, but I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in December. I saw a new urologist last week, and he told me that just 5% of one of my 12 biopsy needles (had my second prostate biopsy on 12/13) showed any cancer. My Gleason Score is 6. We are going to "fly it and watch it" for a while. We'll continue to monitor my PSA, and do another biopsy at the end of 2016, and see where it is. At some point I will submit to an 8-week radiation therapy series.

I think poster Markle also recently indicated he was being treated for prostate cancer.

I have other issues-that have been with me for years-that I have chosen to not be public about on this forum. Like you, I believe that every day is a gift, and I worry not about any of the medical issues I am currently dealing with.

10Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 2:25 pm

2seaoat

Mr. Markle has shared his battle with prostate cancer and I am encouraged by my brother's quality life after suffering the same and deciding to remove the prostate. He is living a full and active life with surprisingly little incontinance as he exercises his bladder retention muscles as recommended by the doctor and he has traveled and still hikes up a mountain in AZ. It is usually slow and there are many treatment options which give patients many roads. Hopefully by sharing information, new options can be communicated and help people in those choices.

11Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 2:34 pm

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Thanks, Seaoat. The heart issues are one thing, but I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in December. I saw a new urologist last week, and he told me that just 5% of one of my 12 biopsy needles (had my second prostate biopsy on 12/13) showed any cancer. My Gleason Score is 6. We are going to "fly it and watch it" for a while. We'll continue to monitor my PSA, and do another biopsy at the end of 2016, and see where it is. At some point I will submit to an 8-week radiation therapy series.

I think poster Markle also recently indicated he was being treated for prostate cancer.

I have other issues-that have been with me for years-that I have chosen to not be public about on this forum. Like you, I believe that every day is a gift, and I worry not about any of the medical issues I am currently dealing with.

Hang tough Z . . . . . like you I have a number of medical issues that I do not discuss but the prostate issue is something, according to my urologist, will in all likelihood lead to our demise but it can affect some rather obvious aspects of our lives. I hope that in your case it can be mitigated with minimum consequences as I am certain you would hope for as well.

12Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 4:03 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Thanks, Seaoat. The heart issues are one thing, but I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in December. I saw a new urologist last week, and he told me that just 5% of one of my 12 biopsy needles (had my second prostate biopsy on 12/13) showed any cancer. My Gleason Score is 6. We are going to "fly it and watch it" for a while. We'll continue to monitor my PSA, and do another biopsy at the end of 2016, and see where it is. At some point I will submit to an 8-week radiation therapy series.

Hang tough Z . . . . . like you I have a number of medical issues that I do not discuss but the prostate issue is something, according to my urologist, will in all likelihood lead to our demise but it can affect some rather obvious aspects of our lives.  I hope that in your case it can be mitigated with minimum consequences as I am certain you would hope for as well.

Thanks, Knothead....

13Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 8:51 pm

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Two of the four marble size tumors in my lungs were located in the bronchial tubes which formed a virtual block on my breathing.  Much of my weakness over the last four months which required me using a plastic chair when doing physical work was based on my inability to exhale as there was significant blockage.  I have been in a great deal of pain for the last two days after surgery which felt like somebody had worked me over with a baseball bat, but this morning for the first time in a year I am breathing freely.  You do not think about exhaling because it always seems like the inhaling was important, but it is amazing how easily the air now escapes.   I sent an email to the pulmonary team at Northwestern thanking them for the quick response after reviewing my cat scans and giving me this quality for the time I have left.  I hope to make my super bowl party on Sunday.  I have been going to the same one with high school friends since the early 1970s and reconnecting each year is part of what makes the quality of life so special.  I did not think I would make it down to Pensacola this winter, but if I keep improving, I will return to finish the project I started, and cannot wait to run the bobcat and do some more chain sawing.  I am beginning to regain my strength and the pain is slowly going away.  A very good morning.

Great news my friend. My late aunt had lung cancer many years ago and ended up with COPD. Watching her breath sometimes hurt me probably hurt me more than her. She was a smoker all her life but cut down greatly the past 10 years. Stunning to me was that she never totally quit. Until the last week when she went into the hospital, she go out on her balcony two or three times a day for a cigarette. One of the few bad habits I never embraced.

14Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 10:21 pm

RealLindaL

Very good news indeed, sea, and Z-man, I wish you the best in your difficulties as well.  

I myself am a breast cancer survivor (diagnosed in 2007 on my birthday; 8 mm lobular tumor requiring only lumpectomy, radiation, and 10 years of anti-estrogen medication).   I've had no recurrence or metastasis so far and have been very, very fortunate, knock on wood.  

I do think we have to ask ourselves why there are so many cancers of all types in our area.  (Someone else touched on that - Markle, maybe?  Sorry, I don't recall.)  At the time of my treatment my radiation doc stated we have an unusually high incidence here, and no one seems to know for sure why.   Is it in the air we breathe?  The water we drink?  The hazardous sites some folks live next to?  All the above and more?  

One thing for sure:   It's nothing the realtors, chamber types or tourism gurus care to mention when seeking to attract people to Pensacola and environs.

15Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 10:58 pm

knothead

knothead

I myself am a breast cancer survivor (diagnosed in 2007 on my birthday; 8 mm lobular tumor requiring only lumpectomy, radiation, and 10 years of anti-estrogen medication). I've had no recurrence or metastasis so far and have been very, very fortunate, knock on wood.

RL, I was motivated to respond to your post because my wife had a very similar situation and around the same time. She too was fortunate in that it was carcinoma insitu (I think) but it was still contained within the cell. Same regimen and she took Tamoxifen as I recall for five years . . . . Angel Williamson was/is her doc and she is amazing. Congrats for being a survivor and for sharing!

16Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/5/2016, 11:11 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

So happy for you Seaoat.

RL, I agree with you...so many are dealing with cancer very upsetting.

17Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/6/2016, 3:04 am

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:I myself am a breast cancer survivor (diagnosed in 2007 on my birthday; 8 mm lobular tumor requiring only lumpectomy, radiation, and 10 years of anti-estrogen medication).   I've had no recurrence or metastasis so far and have been very, very fortunate, knock on wood.  

RL, I was motivated to respond to your post because my wife had a very similar situation and around the same time.  She too was fortunate in that it was carcinoma insitu (I think) but it was still contained within the cell.  Same regimen and she took Tamoxifen as I recall for five years . . . . Angel Williamson was/is her doc and she is amazing.  Congrats for being a survivor and for sharing!

Knot, thanks very much for your kind note, and I'm glad to hear another good story as to your wife.   Now please forgive me for sticking my nose in, but there was a large, well accredited study completed just a few years back that demonstrated improved long term survival for women who take Tamoxifen for 10 years instead of the previously recommended five.  My oncologist (then at The Woodlands) strongly recommended the additional five years, which I'm now into, and my other regular doctors (PCP, OB-GYN guy) both independently checked to make sure I had extended the period to ten years.  Seems to be accepted practice now.  Just saying.

Personally, even with the occasional hot flashes, I wouldn't mind staying on Tamoxifen for the duration, just for extra peace of mind and because I sense that my mentation/memory is better on it, but am not sure my doc will prescribe, or the insurance company pay, past 10 years.  We'll find out when that time comes.

Have heard mixed reviews about Angel Williamson over the years but am glad you and your wife have been happy with her, and that the results have  been good.  All the best to your dear spouse!

18Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/6/2016, 3:07 am

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:
RL, I agree with you...so many are dealing with cancer very upsetting.

And even more upsetting, Joani, that there doesn't seem to be any concerted, coordinated effort to figure out the why's and wherefore's, much less do anything about it.

19Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/11/2016, 12:24 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Z....I am so sorry.

20Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/11/2016, 12:28 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:I myself am a breast cancer survivor (diagnosed in 2007 on my birthday; 8 mm lobular tumor requiring only lumpectomy, radiation, and 10 years of anti-estrogen medication).   I've had no recurrence or metastasis so far and have been very, very fortunate, knock on wood.  

RL, I was motivated to respond to your post because my wife had a very similar situation and around the same time.  She too was fortunate in that it was carcinoma insitu (I think) but it was still contained within the cell.  Same regimen and she took Tamoxifen as I recall for five years . . . . Angel Williamson was/is her doc and she is amazing.  Congrats for being a survivor and for sharing!

Knot, thanks very much for your kind note, and I'm glad to hear another good story as to your wife.   Now please forgive me for sticking my nose in, but there was a large, well accredited study completed just a few years back that demonstrated improved long term survival for women who take Tamoxifen for 10 years instead of the previously recommended five.  My oncologist (then at The Woodlands) strongly recommended the additional five years, which I'm now into, and my other regular doctors (PCP, OB-GYN guy) both independently checked to make sure I had extended the period to ten years.  Seems to be accepted practice now.  Just saying.

Personally, even with the occasional hot flashes, I wouldn't mind staying on Tamoxifen for the duration, just for extra peace of mind and because I sense that my mentation/memory is better on it, but am not sure my doc will prescribe, or the insurance company pay, past 10 years.  We'll find out when that time comes.

Have heard mixed reviews about Angel Williamson over the years but am glad you and your wife have been happy with her, and that the results have  been good.  All the best to your dear spouse!

RealLinda, I too am a breast cancer survivor. My first episode was in 1995, with a recurrence in the opposite breast in 2003.

I had a mastectomy with reconstruction surgery in 1996. In 2003, I had a partial mastectomy on the other breast followed by chemo and radiation.

My last mammogram was okay, thank goodness.

21Great news Empty Re: Great news 2/11/2016, 4:20 pm

RealLindaL

PBulldog2 wrote:
RealLinda, I too am a breast cancer survivor. My first episode was in 1995, with a recurrence in the opposite breast in 2003.

I had a mastectomy with reconstruction surgery in 1996. In 2003, I had a partial mastectomy on the other breast followed by chemo and radiation.

My last mammogram was okay, thank goodness.

So glad you're doing OK, PB2!  Thanks for telling your story.  I can't imagine how discouraging and upsetting a recurrence must be.  And wow, you really went through the wringer, so to speak.   Even though I use the term "survivor," I never have counted myself among the truly admirable ones because my path was so easy, relatively speaking.  Well, not even relatively.  I mean, hey, with no chemo, no mastectomies, partial or otherwise, my case was a walk in the park.  (No radiation is no fun, and not a little scary long term, but still.)   I realize that with breast cancer there's always and forever a chance of recurrence, and that's a background shadow we all have to live with, but I bow to you, PB2, for all you've been through, and hope BC is DONE messing with you for the duration!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum