Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Boards - Do you agree with this assessment of Bernie's tax plan and the GDP?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Economic Impact
According to the Tax Foundation’s Taxes and Growth Model, Senator Bernie Sanders’s tax plan would reduce the economy’s size by 9.5 percent in the long run. The plan would lead to 4.3 percent lower wages, an 18.6 percent smaller capital stock, and 6.0 million fewer full-time equivalent jobs. The smaller economy results from higher marginal tax rates on capital and labor income.
Table 2.
Economic Impact of Senator Sanders’s Tax Reform Proposals
GDP
-9.5%
Capital Investment
-18.6%
Wage Rate
-4.3%
Full-time Equivalent Jobs (in thousands)
Source: Tax Foundation Taxes and Growth Model, October 2015.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:Economic Impact
According to the Tax Foundation’s Taxes and Growth Model, Senator Bernie Sanders’s tax plan would reduce the economy’s size by 9.5 percent in the long run. The plan would lead to 4.3 percent lower wages, an 18.6 percent smaller capital stock, and 6.0 million fewer full-time equivalent jobs. The smaller economy results from higher marginal tax rates on capital and labor income.
Table 2.
GDP
-9.5%
Capital Investment
-18.6%
Wage Rate
-4.3%

I reject their analysis.   The Tax Foundation also said that the 1993 budget proposal and tax policy changes under Clinton would have a negative impact on the economy, would hurt stocks and investment, and would likely have little to no impact on the actual budget.  But what followed was the most prosperous era of economic growth in US history, one of the lowest unemployment rates on record, 30 million jobs added the economy, and perennial budget surplus.  They also viewed the 2001-2003 Bush tax cuts very positively.  We were supposed to see all sorts of jobs, economic growth was supposed to take off such that the tax cuts would ultimately pay for themselves, and long term economic growth prospects were supposed to be great.   But what followed was a 180 u-turn from perennial budget surplus to ballooning deficits (leading to the worst deficit in US history), a net loss of 400k private sector jobs over an 8 year period, and the worst economy since the great depression.  

And beyond that, I'm not even sure from where they're getting Bernie Sanders' individual income tax brackets.  I'm not saying that they're wrong, though I wasn't able to corroborate them anywhere;  so not only do I question the Tax Foundation's analysis,  I also question the underlying data that they plug-in to their TAG model.

I was not sure of the source, The Tax Foundation. This is why I ran it past you. I also have not found the specifics they site here about Bernie.

Would Bernie/Hillary revive the budget turn around that we saw with Pres. Clinton?

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:I was not sure of the source, The Tax Foundation.  This is why I ran it past you.  I also have not found the specifics they site here about Bernie.

Would Bernie/Hillary revive the budget turn around that we saw with Pres. Clinton?  

If we can get some common sense tax increases on top tier brackets, if we can eliminate various caps on taxable income, if we can increase taxes on capital gains and treat that like regular income, all while staying out of wars/occupations in the middle east and keeping defense spending in check, I think there is a very good chance that we could see our budget revert back to perennial surplus just as it did during the Clinton era.

Reasonable thoughts.

What were the tax rates during the Clinton era surplus?

Is there a site that shows the changes in tax rates since that time?

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:Reasonable thoughts.  

Here they are.  1998 was the first year that saw a budget surplus under Clinton.  And then I included our current tax rates.

Boards - Do you agree with this assessment of Bernie's tax plan and the GDP? WC5Bez5

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Individual tax rates are not the problem .... Federal government spending is the problem.

(Corporate taxes could use some tweaking/reductions though ... and we need to get rid of a lot of tax credits/deductions for both corporations and individuals)

boards of FL

boards of FL

EmeraldGhost wrote:Individual tax rates are not the problem .... Federal government spending is the problem.

(Corporate taxes could use some tweaking/reductions though ... and we need to get rid of a lot of tax credits/deductions for both corporations and individuals)

You agree that our tax rates today are lower than what they were in the late 90s and early 00s - which is when we last had a surplus - correct?

And you agree that the very point at which we changed course from perennial surplus to perennial deficit was when we cut taxes from those rates of the late 90s and early 00s, correct?

Both spending and taxation influence budgets.

boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:I was not sure of the source, The Tax Foundation.  This is why I ran it past you.  I also have not found the specifics they site here about Bernie.

If we can get some common sense tax increases on top tier brackets, if we can eliminate various caps on taxable income, if we can increase taxes on capital gains and treat that like regular income, all while staying out of wars/occupations in the middle east and keeping defense spending in check, I think there is a very good chance that we could see our budget revert back to perennial surplus just as it did during the Clinton era.

The wealthy in America already pay most of the individual federal income taxes, yet they make up only 2.4% of the returns filed. As of 2013, per the Pew Research Center, taxes paid by individuals earning over $250K make up almost 50% of taxes collected. Raising the tax rate on a mere 2.4% of taxpayers will not significantly increase tax revenue.

Also, there's this: individuals earning under $50K make up only 6.2% of the taxes collected - their average tax rate is 4.2%. The top 0.1% of families pay 37.9% and the bottom 20% have negative tax rates

So, again, almost half of the individual federal income taxes are paid by 2.4% of filers - those making over $250K - the wealthy.

boards of FL wrote:

Here they are.  1998 was the first year that saw a budget surplus under Clinton.  And then I included our current tax rates.

Boards - Do you agree with this assessment of Bernie's tax plan and the GDP? WC5Bez5

Thanks. Planning to look deeper rather.

boards of FL

boards of FL

colaguy wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

The wealthy in America already pay most of the individual federal income taxes, yet they make up only 2.4% of the returns filed. As of 2013, per the Pew Research Center, taxes paid by individuals earning over $250K make up almost 50% of taxes collected. Raising the tax rate on a mere 2.4% of taxpayers will not significantly increase tax revenue.

Also, there's this: individuals earning under $50K make up only 6.2% of the taxes collected - their average tax rate is 4.2%. The top 0.1% of families pay 37.9% and the bottom 20% have negative tax rates

So, again, almost half of the individual federal income taxes are paid by 2.4% of filers - those making over $250K - the wealthy.

Your argument isn't even logically consistent. First, you say that the wealthy pay nearly 50% of taxes collected. Then you say that raising taxes on those people will not have any impact on taxes collected. OK. Those two statements cannot both be true. If the wealthy are paying 50% of taxes collected, increasing their tax rates will absolutely increase taxes collected. You're making claims - one after the other - that are irreconcilable.

In other news, there is a 100% chance of rain today. Therefore, you should not bring an umbrella. You see, when we say that there is a 100% chance of rain, that means that it is absolutely certain that water will fall from the sky today. And, thus, you will need no umbrella.

The above is good description of exactly how logically inconsistent your comment is, colaboy.

boards of FL wrote:
colaguy wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Your argument isn't even logically consistent.  First, you say that the wealthy pay nearly 50% of taxes collected.  Then you say that raising taxes on those people will not have any impact on taxes collected.  OK.  Those two statements cannot both be true.  If the wealthy are paying 50% of taxes collected, increasing their tax rates will absolutely increase taxes collected.  You're making claims - one after the other - that are irreconcilable.

In other news, there is a 100% chance of rain today.  Therefore, you should not bring an umbrella.  You see, when we say that there is a 100% chance of rain, that means that it is absolutely certain that water will fall from the sky today.  And, thus, you will need no umbrella.

The above is good description of exactly how logically inconsistent your comment is, colaboy.

Either I didn’t explain it well, or you misunderstood.  Let’s try again.

First, I didn’t say that raising tax rates wouldn’t generate additional revenue, I said it would not significantly increase tax revenue.  My assumption is that you want to raise income tax revenue to “revive the budget”, lower the debt, etc.

50% of individual taxes collected by the Fed came from ONLY 2.4% of filers.  To put that in perspective - if there were only 100 taxpaying families in the US and the Feds collected $1 million in federal income taxes – two (and a half) families would have paid almost $500,000 of that $1 million. The other half of the $1 million was paid by the other 97 (and a half) families.  BTW, I don’t have so much of a problem with this scenario, since those 2.5 families made a LOT of income.  

My points are: 1) that it is wrong (unfair) to increase tax rates on families that are already paying half of the taxes, and 2)  even if tax rates were increased on these 2.5 families (let’s say an increase of just 1%) the additional income generated by that rate increase would not generate enough revenue to significantly impact the budget or the debt.  

Families earning >$250K are in the 33% tax bracket.  Since our tax system is marginal, the additional 1% applies only to the amount in excess of about $190K (the first $190K is taxed at 28%). Using this tax rate on a family earning $1 million would yield the following tax revenue: $1M less the $190K is $810. $810 x 1% = $8,100. This family would be paying $8,100 in additional taxes.  This is not a significant amount, even when applied to all families making over $250 (remember that this will apply to only 2.4% of families filing tax returns).

So, one might say “then raise the percentage by even more – maybe a 5% increase”.  At some point this becomes onerous to these high earners and there will be a rebellion and  these families will relocate to another place in order to avoid paying the confiscatory rates.  The main point is that since there are relatively few earners paying most of the taxes collected, raising the rate will not generate enough to make a difference in reducing the debt or balancing the budget. It would make more sense to raise (modestly) the tax rate on the middle earners – those making between $50K and $200K.  These families make up about 39% of the total amount of tax revenue.  

I agree with some of your other points.  I am in favor of eliminating the FICA caps.  Not so much on treating capital gains as income.  While this would apply to many rich folks, there are also many regular folks with pensions, 401Ks, IRAs, etc. that would have to pay taxes on the gains too.  

boards of FL

boards of FL

colaguy wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
colaguy wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Your argument isn't even logically consistent.  First, you say that the wealthy pay nearly 50% of taxes collected.  Then you say that raising taxes on those people will not have any impact on taxes collected.  OK.  Those two statements cannot both be true.  If the wealthy are paying 50% of taxes collected, increasing their tax rates will absolutely increase taxes collected.  You're making claims - one after the other - that are irreconcilable.

In other news, there is a 100% chance of rain today.  Therefore, you should not bring an umbrella.  You see, when we say that there is a 100% chance of rain, that means that it is absolutely certain that water will fall from the sky today.  And, thus, you will need no umbrella.

Either I didn’t explain it well, or you misunderstood.  Let’s try again.

First, I didn’t say that raising tax rates wouldn’t generate additional revenue, I said it would not significantly increase tax revenue.  My assumption is that you want to raise income tax revenue to “revive the budget”, lower the debt, etc.

50% of individual taxes collected by the Fed came from ONLY 2.4% of filers.  To put that in perspective - if there were only 100 taxpaying families in the US and the Feds collected $1 million in federal income taxes – two (and a half) families would have paid almost $500,000 of that $1 million. The other half of the $1 million was paid by the other 97 (and a half) families.  BTW, I don’t have so much of a problem with this scenario, since those 2.5 families made a LOT of income.  

Those 2.4% of families likely contain CEOs who earn roughly 300 times that of the average employee that they oversee. If a group of people comprising 2.4% of the population earn 50% or more of aggregate income and control 50% or more of aggregate wealth, it should therefore follow that they pay 50% or more of aggregate taxes.

colaguy wrote:My points are: 1) that it is wrong (unfair) to increase tax rates on families that are already paying half of the taxes, and 2)  even if tax rates were increased on these 2.5 families (let’s say an increase of just 1%) the additional income generated by that rate increase would not generate enough revenue to significantly impact the budget or the debt.

I addressed 1) above and addressed 2) in my original post. An increase in taxes on brackets over some threshold will absolutely increase tax revenue, which will absolutely have a positive impact on our annual budgets. If we look back to 1998 - the first surplus year during the Clinton era whose tax brackets I already provided above - we see that tax receipts as a % of GDP were 19.2%. If we contrast that with 2014 (2015 numbers are entirely available yet), we see that tax receipts as a % of GDP are 17.5% (they were down to 15.7% after the Bush tax cuts and were down even lower to 14.6% during the Great Recession. Point being, it seems that if were to simply roll our tax rates - on all incomes in excess of $100k - back to what they were in 1998, that would absolutely have a positive influence on your budget. I'll go ahead and add a disclaimer here that states that there are obviously many more variables that ultimately determine tax receipts, such as the health of the economy and the employment rate. I just want to clarify that I'm not saying that tax rates are the end-all determining factor in tax receipts, but they are certainly a big one.

colaguy wrote:Families earning >$250K are in the 33% tax bracket.  Since our tax system is marginal, the additional 1% applies only to the amount in excess of about $190K (the first $190K is taxed at 28%). Using this tax rate on a family earning $1 million would yield the following tax revenue: $1M less the $190K is $810. $810 x 1% = $8,100. This family would be paying $8,100 in additional taxes.  This is not a significant amount, even when applied to all families making over $250 (remember that this will apply to only 2.4% of families filing tax returns).

So, one might say “then raise the percentage by even more – maybe a 5% increase”.  At some point this becomes onerous to these high earners and there will be a rebellion and  these families will relocate to another place in order to avoid paying the confiscatory rates.  The main point is that since there are relatively few earners paying most of the taxes collected, raising the rate will not generate enough to make a difference in reducing the debt or balancing the budget. It would make more sense to raise (modestly) the tax rate on the middle earners – those making between $50K and $200K.  These families make up about 39% of the total amount of tax revenue.  

I agree with some of your other points.  I am in favor of eliminating the FICA caps.  Not so much on treating capital gains as income.  While this would apply to many rich folks, there are also many regular folks with pensions, 401Ks, IRAs, etc. that would have to pay taxes on the gains too.    

We could easily add an asterisk which states that retirement planning accounts would be subjected to a much lower tax rate. But if you have millions in hedge funds and earn millions each year in the stock market and this is your primary source of income, that should be taxed as if it is your primary source of income. There is no justifiable reason for why a guy like Warren Buffet should pay a lower tax rate than his secretary.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Table 2.
GDP
-9.5%
Capital Investment
-18.6%
Wage Rate
-4.3%

I reject their analysis.   The Tax Foundation also said that the 1993 budget proposal and tax policy changes under Clinton would have a negative impact on the economy, would hurt stocks and investment, and would likely have little to no impact on the actual budget.  But what followed was the most prosperous era of economic growth in US history, one of the lowest unemployment rates on record, 30 million jobs added the economy, and perennial budget surplus.  They also viewed the 2001-2003 Bush tax cuts very positively.  We were supposed to see all sorts of jobs, economic growth was supposed to take off such that the tax cuts would ultimately pay for themselves, and long term economic growth prospects were supposed to be great.   But what followed was a 180 u-turn from perennial budget surplus to ballooning deficits (leading to the worst deficit in US history), a net loss of 400k private sector jobs over an 8 year period, and the worst economy since the great depression.  

And beyond that, I'm not even sure from where they're getting Bernie Sanders' individual income tax brackets.  I'm not saying that they're wrong, though I wasn't able to corroborate them anywhere;  so not only do I question the Tax Foundation's analysis,  I also question the underlying data that they plug-in to their TAG model.

Of course you do.

Now please provide the link to their article forecasting what you said. Should be easy for you to find.

As you know, what caused the boom AND RECESSION during the administration of President Bill Clinton was the DOT.COM bubble. People were madly investing in companies not because they were making a profit, but because they were growing. That is how Bill Clinton turned over a recession to President Bush.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:

As you know, there was never a budget surplus under President Clinton. What appears as a surplus is money paid into Social Security and Medicare.

From Wiki:

The dot-com bubble (also referred to as the dot-com boom, the Internet bubble, the dot-com collapse, and the information technology bubble)[1] was a historic speculative bubble covering roughly 1997–2000 (with a climax on March 10, 2000, with the NASDAQ peaking at 5,132.52

[...]

The collapse of the bubble took place during 1999–2001. Some companies, such as pets.com and Webvan failed completely. Others lost a large portion of their market capitalization but remained stable and profitable, e.g., Cisco, whose stock declined by 86%. Some later recovered and surpassed their dot-com-bubble peaks, e.g., eBay.com, and Amazon.com whose stock went from 107 to 7 dollars per share, but a decade later exceeded 500.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Table 2.
GDP
-9.5%
Capital Investment
-18.6%
Wage Rate
-4.3%

Of course you do.  

Now please provide the link to their article forecasting what you said.  Should be easy for you to find.

Here is their analysis for the 1993 tax increase.  

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/b0645d256a638280d5680ed419e257e3.pdf

I'm not seeing their pre-policy analysis of the Bush tax cuts, though here is some post-policy analysis:

http://taxfoundation.org/article/2001-and-2003-tax-relief-benefit-lower-tax-rates

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

As you know, there was never a budget surplus under President Clinton.  What appears as a surplus is money paid into Social Security and Medicare.

Ole' Man Markle...seriously...

Boards - Do you agree with this assessment of Bernie's tax plan and the GDP? Bonbon-dbfbe36b2ab7e3e46f8bdbc19fcc3ada

"We could easily add an asterisk which states that retirement planning accounts would be subjected to a much lower tax rate. But if you have millions in hedge funds and earn millions each year in the stock market and this is your primary source of income, that should be taxed as if it is your primary source of income. There is no justifiable reason for why a guy like Warren Buffet should pay a lower tax rate than his secretary."

This is a fallacy. Buffet was comparing apples to oranges.  His (lower) tax is the capital gains tax rate (probably 15% in 2013, when he made this statement) and his secretary's tax was on her ordinary income (probably 35%).  Already a wealthy man, Buffet does not rely on earning an income (like most of us do). One of the reason capital gains are taxed at a lower rate is that the money that was used to make the original investment has already been taxed.  If I make $100K one year, and am taxed at an effective income tax rate of 28%, I'll pay $28K to Uncle Sam. If I don't actually spend all the rest of my earnings that year, and instead, buy some stock, I am buying that stock with money that has already been taxed.  When I sell that stock (assuming it has risen in value since I purchased it) the difference in what it sold for vs what I paid for it (the capital gain) is also taxed, but at a lower rate - the capital gains tax rate.  

Arguments for a lower capital gains rate include: the money has already been taxed - wages are first taxed by payroll and personal income taxes, then again by the corporate income tax (if one chooses to invest in corporate equities), and then again when those investments pay off in the form of dividends and capital gains; and, it discourages present consumption over future consumption - in other words, a lower capital gains rate encourages investment.

boards of FL

boards of FL

colaguy wrote:"We could easily add an asterisk which states that retirement planning accounts would be subjected to a much lower tax rate. But if you have millions in hedge funds and earn millions each year in the stock market and this is your primary source of income, that should be taxed as if it is your primary source of income. There is no justifiable reason for why a guy like Warren Buffet should pay a lower tax rate than his secretary."

This is a fallacy. Buffet was comparing apples to oranges.  His (lower) tax is the capital gains tax rate (probably 15% in 2013, when he made this statement) and his secretary's tax was on her ordinary income (probably 35%).  Already a wealthy man, Buffet does not rely on earning an income (like most of us do). One of the reason capital gains are taxed at a lower rate is that the money that was used to make the original investment has already been taxed.  If I make $100K one year, and am taxed at an effective income tax rate of 28%, I'll pay $28K to Uncle Sam. If I don't actually spend all the rest of my earnings that year, and instead, buy some stock, I am buying that stock with money that has already been taxed.  When I sell that stock (assuming it has risen in value since I purchased it) the difference in what it sold for vs what I paid for it (the capital gain) is also taxed, but at a lower rate - the capital gains tax rate.  

That is not a fallacy.  Buffet pays a lower tax rate than his secretary, per him, and that is based upon his underlying income source.  There are many people out there - like Buffet - whose primary source of income is capital gains.  And those people generally earn considerably more money annually than people like Buffet's secretary, who work for a wage and who have that wage taxed under the normal tax brackets.  The result is that we have people like Buffet effectively paying a lower tax rate than his own secretary.  Therein lies the reasoning for why we should increase capital gains taxes.

Here gain, you start off by telling me that I'm wrong and then you confirm that I am right. And was my comment about Buffet your only objection to my last post?

"We could easily add an asterisk which states that retirement planning accounts would be subjected to a much lower tax rate. But if you have millions in hedge funds and earn millions each year in the stock market and this is your primary source of income, that should be taxed as if it is your primary source of income. There is no justifiable reason for why a guy like Warren Buffet should pay a lower tax rate than his secretary."

Remember, there are a lot of regular folks, who have invested in the stock market via their 401Ks.  Withdrawals from 401Ks are already taxed as ordinary income, even if the withdrawal is your only income. Similarly, many pension funds are heavily invested in the market. To place a tax on the capital gains seems heavy-handed.  

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Then perhaps these pension funds need stricter investment guidelines. My children had trust accounts with Merrill Lynch. On 9/11, they both lost somewhere around $12,000...gone...never to be recovered. I received monthly statements throughout the life of their trust accounts...I filed the taxes each year, but it was almost impossible to decipher where the investments were. At some point I realized that Merrill Lynch was taking more in fees than they were receiving in benefits, so I arranged a monthly stipend for each of them. Thank God I did that, or they would have been wiped out...keep in mind that these were TRUST FUNDS. And there's more to this story...much more.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Tax_Foundation

The Tax Foundation is the oldest non-profit tax think tank in the country, founded in 1937. Its stated mission is "to educate taxpayers about sound tax policy and the size of the tax burden borne by Americans at all levels of government." It also argues for a tax system characterized by "simplicity", "neutrality", "stability", "transparency" and "growth-promotion".[1]

It was founded at the University Club in New York. Founding members included:

Alfred P. Sloan, General Motors Corporation, chairman
Donaldson Brown, General Motors Corporation financial vice president
William S. Farish, Standard Oil Company, President
Lewis H. Brown, President of the Johns-Manville Corporation
Its first chairman was Lewis H. Brown.

The Tax Foundation publishes studies on state on federal tax burdens, costs of tax compliance, and others like the impact of cigarette taxes on smuggling. The major public campaign of the Tax Foundation is its annual Tax Freedom Day, which calculates the total state and federal tax burden of the nation as a percentage of national income, and converts that into the portion of the year taxpayers must "work to pay taxes".

Contents [hide]
1 Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
2 Funding
3 Personnel
3.1 Board of Directors
3.2 Staff
3.3 Former personnel
4 Contact Details
5 External Resources
6 References
6.1 For more information
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
The Tax Foundation's President, Scott A. Hodge, participated in the 2011 American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) Annual Meeting, speaking on the "Corporate Taxes and International Competitiveness Panel" in front of the Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force, and the Foundation's Vice President of Legal and State Projects, Joe Henchman, introduced the "Resolution Urging Congress to Cut the Federal Corporate Tax Rate" model policy at the same meeting.[2]

About ALEC
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.

Funding
The Tax Foundation is funded by private donations from members, corporate donations, and donations from charitable foundation such as the Koch Foundation, Earhart Foundation, etc.

Personnel
Board of Directors
On its website the Tax Foundation lists its board of directors, as of March 2009, as being:[3]

Dr. Wayne Gable (Chairman), Koch Charitable Foundations
James W. Lintott (Treasurer), Sterling Foundation Management LLC
The Honorable Bill Archer, PriceWaterhouseCoopers LLP
Dr. R. Glenn Hubbard, Columbia Business School
David P. Lewis, Eli Lilly and Company
Scott A. Hodge (Secretary, Ex-Officio), Tax Foundation
Staff
Scott A. Hodge, President
William Ahern, Director of Communications
Former personnel
Julie Burden, Director of Development
Contact Details
Tax Foundation
2001 L Street NW, Suite 1050
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 464-6200
Fax: (202) 464-6201

External Resources
GradingTheStates.org provides critical analysis of the Tax Foundation’s State Business Tax Climate Index and other "business rankings." Grading the States is a project of the Iowa Policy Project, overseen by economist Peter Fisher, professor emeritus at the University of Iowa.
References
Jump up ↑ "About the Tax Foundation", accessed March 2009.
Jump up ↑ American Legislative Exchange Council, "Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force Meeting," agenda and meeting materials, August 4, 2011, on file with CMD
Jump up ↑ "Tax Foundation Board of Directors", Tax Foundation website, accessed March 2009.
For more information
Scott A. Hodge, Celebrating Our 65th Year, Tax Features (Tax Foundation newsletter), September 2002

Markle

Markle

colaguy wrote:"We could easily add an asterisk which states that retirement planning accounts would be subjected to a much lower tax rate. But if you have millions in hedge funds and earn millions each year in the stock market and this is your primary source of income, that should be taxed as if it is your primary source of income. There is no justifiable reason for why a guy like Warren Buffet should pay a lower tax rate than his secretary."

Arguments for a lower capital gains rate include: the money has already been taxed - wages are first taxed by payroll and personal income taxes, then again by the corporate income tax (if one chooses to invest in corporate equities), and then again when those investments pay off in the form of dividends and capital gains; and, it discourages present consumption over future consumption - in other words, a lower capital gains rate encourages investment.

No, actually if you have an effective gross income of $100,000.00 you will pay far less than 28% or $28,000. From the $100,000. you will have your itemized deductions once which will reduce your net income drastically.

What Progressives also love to forget is that money I invest in the stock market, bonds or real estate for that matter, has already had taxes paid on it once.

Markle wrote:

No, actually if you have an effective gross income of $100,000.00 you will pay far less than 28% or $28,000.  From the $100,000. you will have your itemized deductions once which will reduce your net income drastically.

What Progressives also love to forget is that money I invest in the stock market, bonds or real estate for that matter, has already had taxes paid on it once.

I understand that a nominal 28% rate will probably equate to a lesser rate. That's why I said an effective rate.  And, yes, I tried to convey that investment money has already been taxed.  I have a feeling that some on here are just out to sock it to the "rich".  So much for fairness.

2seaoat

I have been a life time Republican and there is nothing dirty about the word double taxation. My corporate form of a business has my profits after expenses taxed, and then when I issue dividends to shareholders taxed again......what is unfair about that? It has been a stable block of revenue generation for a century. I pay property taxes. Those are after tax dollars that I pay with, and is double taxation......again what is unfair about the same?

Bernie's medicare for all is a fiscal conservative revenue saving plan which will bring lower health care costs and efficiency to our system because not every procedure will be covered and the free market of supplemental policies will allow a choice for consumers. When I turn 65 the two 30mg shots of Sandostatin will be limited to one by Social security unless I can find a supplemental policy which will cover the same. As a fiscal conservative with a track record of voting for Presidents who best can balance budgets with revenue and cuts in expenses, I find the Sander plan the only sane plan which will be much more efficient than the Affordable Care Act.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum