Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The first time in fifty years I am not watching NFL playoffs

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

I have lost interest in football. I had one concussion in my life when in third grade we were playing king of the mountain and when I was pushed from the dirt pile my head hit a steel survey stake. A day in the hospital, and then I got booted because not only did I have a concussion....I had the mumps.

I used to really like giving hard hits and watching hard hits. I just do not get that thrill since Dave Duerson committed suicide after suffering following his NFL career. Notre Dame grad, world champions with the Bears, and a horror story of mental decline and depression after football. I do not know if it is the parity where there are no dominate teams or just not have my heart in the game knowing that some of those hits will damage people for life.....in any regard, I will go to the super bowl party and watch the commercials and honestly......I could care less who wins........I feel neutered, or I am letting my feminine side out, but I would never want to see my grandson play football, and I loved playing the same.....the love is gone.

I've said it before... but if I were able to speak to myself as a kid I would tell me not to play football.

But I doubt my young self would listen to an old fart.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

My teams, minus the Packers, have been winners.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I went over and bugged my son and SIL today for a while and gave my own color commentary of the seahawks....they didn't appreciate me at all...You guys are so serious about this BS....

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I have lost interest in football.  I had one concussion in my life when in third grade we were playing king of the mountain and when I was pushed from the dirt pile my head hit a steel survey stake.  A day in the hospital, and then I got booted because not only did I have a concussion....I had the mumps.

I used to really like giving hard hits and watching hard hits.   I just do not get that thrill since Dave Duerson committed suicide after suffering following his NFL career.  Notre Dame grad, world champions with the Bears, and a horror story of mental decline and depression after football.   I do not know if it is the parity where there are no dominate teams or just not have my heart in the game knowing that some of those hits will damage people for life.....in any regard, I will go to the super bowl party and watch the commercials and honestly......I could care less who wins........I feel neutered, or I am letting my feminine side out, but I would never want to see my grandson play football, and I loved playing the same.....the love is gone.

Thousands of people commit suicide each year for dozens of reasons.

Far more people get concussions from falling. Young and old.

Pro-sports, regardless of the sport can, and always be dangerous.

Enjoy the commercials. I'll be watching the games, as I did today, along with NASCAR and NHRA. All have deaths. A good friend of mine drove the 6 Oh Boy! Oberto unlimited hydroplane. He drove a number of years for them and won several national championships. The turbine powered boats top 200 mph on the straightaway. It has also been called the most dangerous sport in the world. It has more deaths per licensed drivers than any other sport.

You prefer the safe and steady. Others, like myself, do not. If I had a son, or grandson today, and he wanted to do any of the above, I would help to the best of my ability.

That doesn't make either one of us right or wrong, just different.

RealLindaL

I'm 100% with Seaoat on this one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum