Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The new war against drugs

+3
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
dumpcare
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The new war against drugs Empty The new war against drugs 1/16/2016, 11:02 am

dumpcare

http://www.weartv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/escambia-santa-rosa-join-drug-task-force-63769.shtml#.VppaT_k4GpB

(WEAR) - Two panhandle counties are getting federal help, to stop drug trafficking.    

Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties are joining the Gulf Coast High Intensity Drug Trafficking area program.

It's a nationwide initiative to stop violent crimes and drug trafficking.

Law enforcement put in applications to join because drug traffic routes on Interstate 10 and Highway 98, run right through both counties.

"Cocaine, marijuana we have seen a huge increase in the heroine usage. We still have methamphetamine which is also produced locally. We are not concerned with meth which is also produced locally, but heroine that's brought in out of state, cocaine and marijuana out of state," said officials.

The money was also approved because many crimes that happen in Escambia and Santa Rosa have connections to other counties that are already a part of the program.

Well just a waste of money, has been and always will be a way to throw money down the drain and put innocent people with one joint in jail and ruin their life.

I have an attorney friend that says the cops across the panhandle love it when they arrest someone for one joint, puts them through hell financially and has ruined a few people.

I love the sentence "we're not concerned with meth" WTF. This seems to be a low IQ task force.

2The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/16/2016, 12:31 pm

2seaoat

I have been talking about reducing force levels in local LEO for over twenty years. You ought to have seen the reaction when I was running for public office as a Republican when I argued we had too many police and had duplications of administration and missions, and that we were filling our jails with non violent offenders. I got a negative rating from the police chiefs over a three county area which I was running, yet privately they would tell me I was right. I think you are seeing bipartisan support for ending putting non violent people in jail with idiotic sentencing mandates......the tide is finally changing as everybody sees the damage this police state has done to America. This irrational fear that non violent drug users need to be put in jail is finally meeting the reality of a nearly bankrupt nation which has made terrible policy choices because asking for more police and fire is a popular political step.....we need leaders not folks who want to be elected prom queen.

3The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/16/2016, 12:53 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Law enforcement has become a money making industry for adrenaline junkies...hey rock let's go raid an organic milk store and kick some Amish ass...crank up the tank ....

The new war against drugs ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wnd.com%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F02%2Fswat

4The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 2:49 am

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I have been talking about reducing force levels in local LEO for over twenty years.  You ought to have seen the reaction when I was running for public office as a Republican when I argued we had too many police and had duplications of administration and missions, and that we were filling our jails with non violent offenders.   I got a negative rating from the police chiefs over a three county area which I was running, yet privately they would tell me I was right.  I think you are seeing bipartisan support for ending putting non violent people in jail with idiotic sentencing mandates......the tide is finally changing as everybody sees the damage this police state has done to America.   This irrational fear that non violent drug users need to be put in jail is finally meeting the reality of a nearly bankrupt nation which has made terrible policy choices because asking for more police and fire is a popular political step.....we need leaders not folks who want to be elected prom queen.

Due in large part to actions of semi-retired President Obama, police are now targets from coast to coast.

You think fewer police today is a great idea. You ran for public office on that idea and...lost. But the police SECRETLY told you that you were right, your community needed fewer police.

Most drug users are not non-violent and certainly their suppliers are not non-violent.

As you know, non-violent drug users are not put in jail. A fact you should know is that drug courts got their beginning here in Florida.

5The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 6:13 am

2seaoat

I lost because I am not a politician and the person who won was a better politician, but the issue of less police and ending the drug war stands on the merits. It failed. It hurt America. We are going broke paying public pensions for cops and jailers which do nothing to protect us from violent criminals.

6The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 8:28 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I have been talking about reducing force levels in local LEO for over twenty years.  You ought to have seen the reaction when I was running for public office as a Republican when I argued we had too many police and had duplications of administration and missions, and that we were filling our jails with non violent offenders.   I got a negative rating from the police chiefs over a three county area which I was running, yet privately they would tell me I was right.  I think you are seeing bipartisan support for ending putting non violent people in jail with idiotic sentencing mandates......the tide is finally changing as everybody sees the damage this police state has done to America.   This irrational fear that non violent drug users need to be put in jail is finally meeting the reality of a nearly bankrupt nation which has made terrible policy choices because asking for more police and fire is a popular political step.....we need leaders not folks who want to be elected prom queen.

Due in large part to actions of semi-retired President Obama, police are now targets from coast to coast.

You think fewer police today is a great idea.  You ran for public office on that idea and...lost.  But the police SECRETLY told you that you were right, your community needed fewer police.

Most drug users are not non-violent and certainly their suppliers are not non-violent.

As you know, non-violent drug users are not put in jail.  A fact you should know is that drug courts got their beginning here in Florida.

Dear Semi-sane, "I know NOSSING!" Markle, as you know very well, the War on Drugs was never meant to destroy the drug market, but has enabled corrupt politicians and police and prison officials to make zillions. Amerika Inc., thanks to idiots like you, now has the largest per capita prison system in the world ... and the use of illicit drugs in Amerika Inc., is going UP. As you also know very well, if you legalize drugs the entire market would soon dry up. Just like your republican heroes in congress who have voted to end Obamacare for the 9,678th time, drugs and politics in Amerika Inc both run on corrupt money.

Fact: We've lost the War on Drugs the same way we've lost all our wars in the MidEast. Why? Because big Amerikan bloodsuckers make money from these activities!

7The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 8:31 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Law enforcement has become a money making industry for adrenaline junkies...hey rock let's go raid an organic milk store and kick some Amish ass...crank up the tank ....

The new war against drugs ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wnd.com%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F02%2Fswat

Teo, according to Semi Sane Markle, these are the good guys!!

8The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 8:50 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Wordslinger wrote:

Teo, according to Semi Sane Markle, these are the good guys!!

Yeah if they ever swat his house I hope he doesn't pick up his cell phone these guys have poor vision and itchy trigger fingers....they'll ventilate him and get a paid vacation....

9The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 11:00 am

dumpcare

Markle wrote:

You think fewer police today is a great idea.  You ran for public office on that idea and...lost.  But the police SECRETLY told you that you were right, your community needed fewer police.

As you know, non-violent drug users are not put in jail.  A fact you should know is that drug courts got their beginning here in Florida.

I doubt he does know your last sentence here because it's false, there are non violent drug users, and I don't even mean coke, heroin or meth I mean marijuana, in Florida for possession of marijuana and across the nation.

I cannot believe you have not seen in the sales business some of your associates locked up for possession of marijuana. You can say no but I would never believe it. I have seen in the insurance business in this state agents locked up for marijuana and charged with felony's so therefore losing the licensed. May not be years they are locked up but the felony and a year or two definitely ruin's them. Then they soak them for money for something that hurt no one.

I bet you play golf and drink with your local politician's and cops.

10The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 11:08 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Markle wrote:

You're either extremely delusional or just outright lying again. Non-violent drug users most certainly DO go to jail. The police have a number of ways to make sure this is so, by roughing up suspects and charging them with assault on a police officer...by making use of the three strikes laws...by avoiding the use of diversionary programs...by mandatory minimum sentencing...by charging parolees exorbitant fees administered, in some cases, by private companies...by illegal entry into homes and cars and seizures of assets before suspects even see the inside of a courtroom...by lying in court to cover their own incompetence...and by the fact that marijuana has been deemed a Class 1 narcotic for decades. Even if some of these people do not go to jail, their lives are disrupted and they carry the stigma of the arrest when applying to college or filling out a job application.

11The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 11:16 am

dumpcare

You do have to give him a little pass though, most people who grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth and remain with something in their mouth's as adults were always told to ignore this and those people were slime. They stay in their part of town and you stay in your's and let all this go over your head. Only read what's in the newspaper's or what your wealthy club member's tell you. So I can understand his lack of knowledge.

12The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 11:50 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ppaca wrote:You do have to give him a little pass though, most people who grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth and remain with something in their mouth's as adults were always told to ignore this and those people were slime. They stay in their part of town and you stay in your's and let all this go over your head. Only read what's in the newspaper's or what your wealthy club member's tell you. So I can understand his lack of knowledge.

I wouldn't p*** on him if he was on fire. He's been lying on this and the PNJ forums for years...he obviously gets his talking points from a corrupt Florida RNC or from the national RNC and is paid to promote that agenda no matter what the truth is.

13The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 11:56 am

dumpcare

Floridatexan wrote:
ppaca wrote:You do have to give him a little pass though, most people who grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth and remain with something in their mouth's as adults were always told to ignore this and those people were slime. They stay in their part of town and you stay in your's and let all this go over your head. Only read what's in the newspaper's or what your wealthy club member's tell you. So I can understand his lack of knowledge.

I wouldn't p*** on him if he was on fire.  He's been lying on this and the PNJ forums for years...he obviously gets his talking points from a corrupt Florida RNC or from the national RNC and is paid to promote that agenda no matter what the truth is.  

lol! lol! lol! lol!

14The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 1:01 pm

2seaoat

As you know, non-violent drug users are not put in jail. A fact you should know is that drug courts got their beginning here in Florida.

Mr. Markle you simple do not know what you are talking about in regard to the drug courts. My daughter prosecuted for two years in drug court, and almost half the people did not even qualify, and the vop petitions put most of what remained in jail..........the drug war is an utter failure and our jails are FULL of repeat non violent drug users.

Drug Offenders

Nearly half of all federal prisoners are serving prison sentences for drugs.
(Federal Bureau of Prisons)

In 2012, drug offenders made up about one third of the federal criminal case load.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Figure A)

In 2012 alone, over 23,000 people were sent to federal prison for a drug offense.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 12)

Each year, about 60 percent of all federal drug offenders are subject to a mandatory minimum sentence.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 43)

In 2012, almost 7,000 people were convicted in federal courts for marijuana offenses, more than for any other type of drug.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 33)

In 2012, over half of all convicted federal drug offenders have little or no criminal record.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 37)

In 2012, only 15 percent of all federal drug offenders had a weapon involved in the offense.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 39)

In 2012, only 6.6 percent of all federal drug offenders were considered leaders of a drug conspiracy.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 40)

About one in every five state prisoners is serving time for a drug offense.
(Bureau of Justice Statistics)

Length of Incarceration and Lack of Alternatives

The average federal prison sentence is 9.5 years.
(Testimony of Charles E. Samuels, Jr., Director of Federal Bureau of Prisons)

In 2012, the average federal prison sentence for a drug offender was almost 6 years.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 13)

In 2012, the average federal prison sentence for a crack cocaine offender is about 8 years.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Figure J)

In 2012, the average federal prison sentence for a methamphetamine offender is over 7.5 years.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Figure J)

In 2012, 90 percent of all federal offenders received a sentence of imprisonment; only 10 percent received probation or home confinement.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Figure D)

In 2012, 96.5 percent of all federal drug offenders received prison sentences.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 12)

Drug Courts produce cost savings ranging from $3,000 to $13,000 per client. These cost savings reflect reduced prison costs, reduced revolving-door arrests and trials, and reduced victimization.
(National Association of Drug Court Professionals)

Nationwide, for every $1.00 invested in Drug Court, taxpayers save as much as $3.36 in avoided criminal justice costs alone.

Nationwide, 75% of Drug Court graduates remain arrest-free at least two years after leaving the program.

Application and Impact of Mandatory Minimums

In 2012, 23 percent of federal drug offenders faced a mandatory minimum but did not receive it because they provided “substantial assistance” to the prosecution, commonly known as snitching.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 44)

In 2012, 23.8 percent of federal drug offenders faced a mandatory minimum but did not receive it because they qualified for the drug “safety valve” for nonviolent, low-level, first-time offenders.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission, 2012 Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics, Table 44)

In 2010, 10,694 individuals were sentenced to mandatory minimums in federal courts, including:

7,212 for drug offenses
2,222 for gun offenses
805 for child pornography offenses
673 for identity theft offenses
322 for sex abuse offenses.

This total – 10,694 individuals – represents 14.5 percent of all federal offenders sentenced in FY 2010.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission Report to Congress: Mandatory Minimum Penalties in the Federal Criminal Justice System)

Hispanic offenders also account for the largest group of offenders (38.3%, n=7,601) convicted of an offense carrying a mandatory minimum penalty. Blacks are the next largest group, at 31.5 percent (n=6,261), followed by White offenders (27.4%, n=5,447) and Other Race offenders (2.7%, n=543). United States citizens account for 73.6 percent (n=14,639) of those offenders convicted of an offense carrying a mandatory minimum penalty. More than 90 percent (90.3%, n=17,975) of the offenders were men.
(U.S. Sentencing Commission Report to Congress: Mandatory Minimum Penalties in the Federal Criminal Justice System)

Almost 32% of people receiving a mandatory minimum sentence had little or no criminal record.

Hispanic offenders benefit most often from the safety valve; Black offenders benefit least often.

Mandatory minimum sentences may actually motivate people to go to trial. According to the Commission, 94.1% of those convicted of an offense carrying a mandatory minimum pled guilty, while 97.5% of the offenders not facing a mandatory minimum pled guilty. The Commission also found that “the longer the mandatory minimum penalty an offender faces, the less likely he or she is to plead guilty.”

United States citizens accounted for 73.6 percent of all offenders convicted of an offense carrying a mandatory minimum penalty.

Public safety

All 17 states that cut their imprisonment rates over the past decade also experienced a decline in crime rates.
(Pew Center on the States)

Public opinion

84% of Americans believe that some of the money that we are spending on locking up low-risk, non-violent inmates should be shifted to strengthening community corrections programs like probation and parole.
(Pew Center on the States)

77% of Americans support eliminating mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent offenders.
(Reason-Rupe Public Opinion Survey)

http://famm.org/the-facts-with-sources/

15The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/17/2016, 2:06 pm

dumpcare

Therefore costing taxpayer's million's of dollar's to house these non violent offender's, while nickel and dimeing to death them for the rest of their life's.

16The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/18/2016, 11:40 am

dumpcare

http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51046/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=17555

Florida: Marijuana Depenalization Measure Introduced

Democratic Representative Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda has pre-filed legislation for the 2016 legislative session to depenalize marijuana possession offenses.
House Bill 4021 removes cannabis from the Florida state schedule of controlled substances and removes all state criminal and civil penalties associated with the substance.
“We have a lot of people in prison for drug charges and non-violent charges, and I think it’s the wrong way to go about controlling drugs," the bill's sponsor said.
Florida ranks among the highest in the nation in marijuana possession arrests. Police annually arrest some 60,000 Floridians for possessing marijuana. Those found in possession of under 20 grams face up to one-year in prison while those found with greater quantities face a felony conviction and up to five years imprisonment.

Fifty-five percent of Florida voters say that they support allowing adults "to legally possess small amounts of marijuana for personal use," according to 2015 survey data published by Quinnipiac University.
Enter your zip code below to contact your Representative and urge them to support HB 4021

Subject:

Support HB 4021
Your Letter:

I'm writing to urge your support for HB 4021 to depenalize marijuana possession penalties.

Such a change is supported by Florida voters, 55 percent of whom support allowing adults "to legally possess small amounts of marijuana for personal use," according to 2015 survey data published by Quinnipiac University.

In recent months, numerous cities and counties, like Miami-Dade County, have amended their local laws to stop arresting minor marijuana offenders.

Florida ranks among the highest in the nation in marijuana possession arrests. Police annually arrest some 60,000 Floridians for possessing marijuana. Those found in the possession of under 20 grams face up to one-year in prison while those found with greater quantities face a felony conviction and up to five years imprisonment. The ongoing enforcement of cannabis prohibition financially burdens taxpayers, encroaches upon civil liberties, engenders disrespect for the law, and disproportionately impacts communities of color.

Despite more than 70 years of federal marijuana prohibition, Americans' consumption of and demand for cannabis is here to stay. It is time for state lawmakers to acknowledge this reality. I urge your support for HB 4021.

17The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/19/2016, 9:22 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

ppaca wrote:http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51046/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=17555

Florida: Marijuana Depenalization Measure Introduced

Democratic Representative Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda has pre-filed legislation for the 2016 legislative session to depenalize marijuana possession offenses.
House Bill 4021 removes cannabis from  ....

Doubtful it would pass.

Most politicians prefer marijuana initiatives be done by referendum rather than by themselves in the legislature.   They really don't want to have to take a stand and vote on it for fear of alienating one demographic or another.

It's been 2 years since Florida legalized Charlotte's Web for medical purposes & they still haven't been able to make it available to patients.
I can't imagine what it's going to cost when it does become available since the State only approved five vendors/growers.

I mean ... seriously.   The Florida legislature can't even get it together to repeal the State law criminalizing cohabitation .... "for a man and woman, lewdly and lasciviously to associate and cohabit together, without being married to each other."   (the way this reads, I guess homosexual cohabitation is okay though? Or maybe there's a separate law?)

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/14/floridas-cohabitation-law-moves-closer-toward-repeal/78794148/

18The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/19/2016, 10:37 am

dumpcare

Oh, I know it won't pass ghost. I know some of the people with children with epilepsy actually got tired of waiting for charlotte's web and moved to Colorado.

19The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/19/2016, 11:24 am

It's interesting that here in michigan the voters have legalized medical pot and many cities have voted small amounts of pot legalized for all. But the state and feds are constantly raiding dispensaries and using state law to arrest for possession. The powers that be will not cede their cash cow controls easily or willingly. Even when forced to give ground on one issue... they will flank concessions with progressive controls in other ways. The base solution is to limit govt controls/power in total... not little half-measures and piecemeal liberty.

20The new war against drugs Empty Re: The new war against drugs 1/19/2016, 5:51 pm

dumpcare

Yep, Michigan is a screwed up place in regards to that and a lot of other stuff. My nephew, card carrying medicinal mj holder was busted with it right up there around where you live. He has had to drive weekly from Jackson up there to report to his probation officer, attend drug abuse classes and pay fines out the rear for a joint of legal medicinal marijuana.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum