Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yella and I want to know how to fry shrimp and oysters without the batter falling off in the pot.

+6
Joanimaroni
Hallmarkgard
TEOTWAWKI
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Is it a matter of what the temperature is?  Is it a matter of what the batter is? Is it a matter of what the cooking oil is?  Or all of the above?
Or,  is it just that I'm too lame to cook this crap?

2seaoat

fried shrimp.....fried oysters.....desecration.

Milk wash... egg dip... soak in batter. You don't want water/moisture left on the food.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I don't eat shrimp or oysters, so I cannot help you......

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Make sure the oil is hot enough to cause butter to skitter across the surface when you dab a pat into it...otherwise it won't cook your batter fast enough hold it on the meat...when your fish float they're done.....

2seaoat

.when your fish float they're done.....

They told me the same thing at the pet store.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:.when your fish float they're done.....

Ba-dump-bump

He's here all week folks 3 shows a day....

Hallmarkgard

Get oil very hot
Soak fish in butter milk
Flour shrimp with self rising flower

Turn stove off
Put fish and flour the refrigerator.

Get in Car
Go to Marina Oyster Bar.
Order what you are trying to cook

LOL

Shoot... I can go catch a couple of pompano and have a fried plate by lunch that no restaurant can touch.

Edit: for less than the tax and tip... like bob preaches.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Dust in flour and then to your wash and whatever batter you use.....deep fry in hot oil.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

When I fry fish, I dip them in scrambled egg goo and then shake in a bag of corn meal. Best fried fish ever. Put a little garlic powder in the bag with the corn meal.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

More often then not, we eat baked fish now. Too much fried stuff is bad for a cardiac patient. Last night it was baked cod from Publix.

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:.when your fish float they're done.....

Now that was one true LOL!

Sorry I can't help with the frying; having a husband with a long history of coronary artery disease we just don't do it (we're with Z-man).   I do, however, make a pretty mean oven fried catfish (works well with redfish, too, and probably just about any other white fish).  It's really easy, and a decently healthy change from broiled, sauteed or grilled fish:

Preheat the oven to 425, line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray (we prefer butter flavor).   For 1 - 1-1/2 lbs of fish fillets, dump about 3/4 cup of unseasoned bread crumbs (Panko type preferred for crunchiness) in a glass pie plate or other large shallow dish. Stir in 1-/2 - 3/4 tsp Tony Chachere's or other Cajun seasoning, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp paprika, and 1 tsp dried parsley flakes.  (Of course if you'd rather use your own seasonings, go for it.)  

Note: You may find it easier to mix the crumbs and seasonings in a cup or bowl and then throw them in the big dish.

Rinse the fish and pat dry.  Dip the fillets in milk or brush them with light ranch dressing, then place in the bread crumb mixture and coat liberally on both sides, pressing well to help the crumbs adhere to the fish.  Place them on the baking sheet, and coat with cooking spray until wet. (Don't forget this step!)

Bake 15-25 minutes depending on thickness, until fish is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork.  

I'm not pretending this equates to deep fried fish, but it's a heckuva lot healthier and darned tasty, too.  The fish turn our moist and flavorful every time.  

Now I'm off to soak some black eyed peas for New Year's Day's Hoppin' John.

Goodnight all,     LL

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Yes, Bob, it is the temperature...if you're using an iron skillet, place it...empty...on the burner at the temp you normally use for frying. Let the pan heat up first...then add the oil and bring the whole thing up to temp. Don't let it smoke, and don't overload the pan.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

thanks,  all,  for your suggestions.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Let us know how it worked.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:fried shrimp.....fried oysters.....desecration.

I'm sorry that after all these years you have yet to learn that variety is the spice of life.

Yella

Yella

Hallmarkgard wrote:Get oil very hot
Soak fish in butter milk
Flour shrimp with self rising flower

Turn stove off
Put fish and flour the refrigerator.

Get in Car
Go to Marina Oyster Bar.
Order what you are trying to cook

LOL

I think you got the right idea but we are both cheap old geezers and don't wanna spend a fortune.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum