Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Read any good books lately?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Read any good books lately? Empty Read any good books lately? 12/25/2015, 8:27 am

I know there is a topic for this on the forum but I don't think anyone ever scrolls out of general or political.

So...read any good books lately?

2Read any good books lately? Empty Re: Read any good books lately? 12/25/2015, 12:22 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I only read Kindle books now. I don't own a Kindle, but I use the Kindle for PC software so I can read books on my desktop PC. I mostly read non-fiction, and I usually keep a Wikipedia window open so I can go read about places, names, events, etc. that pop up in my books.

I finished Kindle book #36 (36 books read for the year thus far) for 2015 yesterday.:

Read any good books lately? Z51ovk10

I will be on the hunt for another title soon.....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

3Read any good books lately? Empty Re: Read any good books lately? 12/25/2015, 2:08 pm

I'm reading the george rr martin series. I've really enjoyed the hbo show and the books are even better.

4Read any good books lately? Empty Re: Read any good books lately? 12/25/2015, 9:02 pm

RealLindaL

Recently read The Martian (not really a new book; just newly popular, probably because of the movie).   Really, really like the book and was glad I'd read it when we went to see the movie earlier this week.  The movie was fairly faithful to the book. but I would've missed a few things had I not read it first.

So now I'm reading Saturn Run, an new and uncharacteristic excursion into science fiction by John Sandford, co-authored by sci-fi aficionado and photog Ctein.   I'm really liking it so far, even though it often goes into way more scientific (and photographic) detail than I'd normally prefer.  I'm slogging through parts of it, but one could probably easily just skip through those parts, as my husband often does.   As for me, I'm always afraid of missing some important piece of the story.

Actually I'd not "normally prefer" sci fi at all; never have been into the genre.  But these two book are great because they're actually believable, very human, and take you to places you never thought you'd ever go (and never actially will) with amazing clarity.

I recommend them both -- depending, of course, on your individual taste.  All I'm saying is don't dismiss them out of hand just because they sport a sci fi label.

As for me, I don't do Kindle or any electronic book format.  Love the feel of the volume too much.

5Read any good books lately? Empty Re: Read any good books lately? 12/25/2015, 9:18 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

RealLindaL wrote:Recently read The Martian (not really a new book; just newly popular, probably because of the movie).   Really, really like the book and was glad I'd read it when we went to see the movie earlier this week.  The movie was fairly faithful to the book. but I would've missed a few things had I not read it first.

So now I'm reading Saturn Run, an new and uncharacteristic excursion into science fiction by John Sandford, co-authored by sci-fi aficionado and photog Ctein.   I'm really liking it so far, even though it often goes into way more scientific (and photographic) detail than I'd normally prefer.  I'm slogging through parts of it, but one could probably easily just skip through those parts, as my husband often does.   As for me, I'm always afraid of missing some important piece of the story.

Actually I'd not "normally prefer" sci fi at all; never have been into the genre.  But these two book are great because they're actually believable, very human, and take you to places you never thought you'd ever go (and never actially will) with amazing clarity.

I recommend them both -- depending, of course, on your individual taste.  All I'm saying is don't dismiss them out of hand just because they sport a sci fi label.

As for me, I don't do Kindle or any electronic book format.  Love the feel of the volume too much.

I greatly enjoyed The Martian, which I read in March of 2014. That started a 60-book Kindle run as of yesterday. I have not seen the movie yet. We advance-ordered the DVD, so will watch it when it arrives.

6Read any good books lately? Empty Re: Read any good books lately? 12/25/2015, 9:52 pm

Everyone's choices sound interesting. I'm challenging myself to read outside of my normal genres and I might follow Linda's lead and try The Martian. I do get bogged down in those descriptive passages on the minute details. I remember when my son and husband were reading one of Clancy's books and he took a bazillion pages (yes I exaggerated) to describe the building of a bomb. No thanks. Laughing

Book in hand vs Kindle or other electronic means is an interesting conversation. I prefer book in hand but I do love the e-books for reference books. And my college classes have been e-books. But nothing better than a book in hand on a rainy day with some hot tea and a blanket. (not today) Razz

7Read any good books lately? Empty Re: Read any good books lately? 12/26/2015, 1:41 am

RealLindaL

Ah yes, SW, a book in hand, hot tea and a blanket (or throw) -- sounds wonderful.  I never thought I'd be longing for cooler weather but I'm really ready for it now, and not just for reading's sake -- even though I'll admit it was truly beautiful today, biking on the beach roads with 70-something temps, muted sunshine, fog obscuring both the Gulf horizon and the Gulf Breeze peninsula, making us feel we were in a little world all to ourselves.   The visitors sure were enjoying the beach, too.  But I'm getting way OT here,
sorry!  It's late and I must be off to  bed and....book!  Goodnight all, and happy reading.  SW please let me know what you think of The Martian if you get to it.

8Read any good books lately? Empty Re: Read any good books lately? 12/26/2015, 9:31 am

I will.

9Read any good books lately? Empty Re: Read any good books lately? 12/26/2015, 11:59 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I got a couple of amazon gift cards for Christmas. Those will fund my Kindle book purchases into 2016.

I do survey "Hits" over at Amazon Mechanical Turk ( https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome ) to keep my Amazon gift card balance stoked. I've done over 450 "Hits" in 2015; usually academic surveys of some sort, and averaging about $0.50 (sometimes more, sometimes less) for each one paid to me. I've earned almost $300.00 for 2015.The surveys are often very interesting to participate in, and some only take 10 minutes of your time to complete.

My daughter got me into this. I always declare any online earnings I make on my taxes, too.

10Read any good books lately? Empty Re: Read any good books lately? 12/26/2015, 3:05 pm

Markle

Markle

"Killing Patton"
"Killing Reagan"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum