Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

For Bob; All Your Questions About Dr. Ben's Appeal Answered in One Post

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Basically, his supporters like him because they believe he inoculates them from charges of racism, and because he's a Glenn Beck style conspiracy theory nutjob.

The conventional wisdom is that Carson is beloved for being a genial, soft-spoken figure and a non-politician with a distinguished biography. That may be true, though this does not necessarily distinguish him from many thousands of his fellow Americans. An equally obvious factor is that he is African American, and Republicans frustrated with being accused of white identity politics if not outright racism love being able to support a black candidate who is as conservative as they are.

Less obvious -- and finally being recognized by political reporters spending time in Iowa -- is that Carson is a familiar, beloved figure to conservative evangelicals, who have been reading his books for years.

Another factor, and one that I emphasized in my own take here two months ago, is that Carson is a devoted believer in a number of surprisingly resonant right-wing conspiracy theories, which he articulates via dog whistles that excite fellow devotees (particularly fans of Glenn Beck, who shares much of Carson’s world-view) without alarming regular GOP voters or alerting the MSM.

As David Corn of Mother Jones has patiently explained, the real key for understanding Carson (like Beck) is via the works of Cold War-era John Birch Society member and prolific pseudo-historian W. Cleon Skousen, who stipulated that America was under siege from the secret domestic agents of global Marxism who masqueraded as liberals. Carson has also clearly bought into the idea that these crypto-commies are systematically applying the deceptive tactics of Saul Alinsky in order to destroy the country from within—a theme to which he alluded in the famous National Prayer Breakfast speech that launched his political career and in the first Republican presidential candidates’ debate.

So there remains what should actually disqualify Carson: his extremist, paranoid “world-view” which treats regular boring old center-left liberals as conscious and systematically deceitful would-be destroyers of this country bent on imposing a Marxist tyranny via “politically correct” suppression of free speech and confiscation of guns.

There’s unquestionably a constituency for this point of view, but we may never know whether it would outnumber the Republicans baffled or horrified by it until such time as one of his rivals or the heretofore clueless media start talking about it. If they don’t pretty soon, then one theory of the 2016 GOP nominating process could come true: conservatives want to rerun the 1964 elections, and they’ve finally found their Barry Goldwater.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/why-ben-carson-is-no-herman-cain

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I've now seen the light when it comes to this asshole, Sal.  What took me so long was the thing about him being a neurosurgeon.  I just couldn't imagine that a neurosurgeon could have the ideas this person was being accused of.
But sadly,  it now appears that even a neurosurgeon can be a nutter.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's the most astonishing thing of all about Ben Carson'ism though.

His support is mainly amongst old white geezers.  Many if not most old white geezers are alive only because they can get health care through Medicare.

And yet the same people are cheering for this Carson person who wants to ditch their Medicare.
They better hope that vitamin pill he pushes can actually cure every disease there is like it claims to. 

I will never understand human beings as long as I live.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

One more thing. 
I don't know how smart a political strategy it is for a candidate to tell his voter base they need to replace their Medicare with a medical savings account and a vitamin pill.  Not if he wants to win a second term.  Because by then a great many of his voter base will have croaked without Medicare.  And unless he's got a plan for registering corpses to vote,  he must want to be a one term president.

Sal

Sal

The same dynamic was in play in Kentucky.

The asshat who won last night is going to have to reverse himself, or there are going to be a whole lot of gap-toothed hillbillies wondering what happened to their Kynect.

Who the fuck am I even kidding?

They'll just blame Obama.

gatorfan

Sal must be really worried about the Black Dude. The hatred is obvious. Can BoF combine all your racist anti-Carson threads into one scaredy-cat thread?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's one really puzzling thing if all the republicans voting for Carson in these polls are racists.

As we already talked about,  most of the support for both Trump and Carson is older white people.

Carson wants to end Medicare for older white people.
Trump says that's foolish because Medicare is one of the few government programs which works.

The older white,  many of them depending on Medicare to stay alive,  are taking in what BOTH Carson and Trump are saying.
But the older white people have now put Carson ahead of Trump in some of the polls.

Which means very many of the older white people are choosing a black man who wants to end their Medicare over Trump and all the other white candidates. 

That sure as fuck doesn't sound like racism to me.  Not unless the older white people have a racial prejudice against other white people.

Sal

Sal

These are people who watch FAUX News.

These are people who listen to Glenn Beck.

They have no use for "policy" or "data" or "science" or "facts".

All they care about is the attitude and the outrage.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sorry,  Sal,  I know how badly you want to believe that,  but it really doesn't explain why they would choose a black person who wants to end their Medicare,  over Trump and the other white candidates who don't want to end their Medicare. 
This one remains a mystery.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:Sorry,  Sal,  I know how badly you want to believe that,  but it really doesn't explain why they would choose a black person who wants to end their Medicare,  over Trump and the other white candidates who don't want to end their Medicare. 
This one remains a mystery.

1) He's black. And, they like publicly supporting a black candidate because they think it inoculates their racist viewpoints. Trump lacks that appeal.
(I do wonder just how deep their support runs. It may be that they like the appearance of supporting a black candidate, but once behind the curtain, they just wouldn't be able to pull that lever.)

2) He speaks the conspiracy theory language of Glenn Beck and FAUX News that only he and they truly understand. Trump doesn't do that.

3) He's very much an evangelical christian. Trump is not.

4) His supporters don't care about "policy". I guarantee you that the vast majority of this fans have no clue that he has advocated killing Medicare.

Mystery solved.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:
  I guarantee you that the vast majority of this fans have no clue that he has advocated killing Medicare.

Trump has been preaching to them every chance he gets that Carson wants to end their Medicare.
If they've never heard anything Trump is telling them,  then there would be no reason why Trump has lead the polls for two months.

As Dr. Spock would say,  "it's just not logical". 
Sorry, Sal,  back to the drawing board.
Face it,  some things in life just have no explanation. 

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

They're brainwashed, Sal.

For Bob; All Your Questions About Dr. Ben's Appeal Answered in One Post Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTELzIvS42so4sJc-Ry1wm_fTaCkAVw1kgivAnKxD8Mgqk9E8Qc4A

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/former-reagan-bush-adviser-fox-news-brainwashing-conservatives-video/

(A comment from kojo:

Surprisingly, the only news station from America that everyone gets for free in the middle east (U.A.E.) is Fox News. Extremely annoying because it really paints America as a bad place full of bad ideas. The one shining light while I was there was occasionally finding the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Unbelievably great to hear some sanity after all of the crud Fox spews. I used to listen to Hannity in my car just because I needed to see how in the world anyone could believe his crap but I found that NOT listening to his voice increased my libido, I got my appetite back, my hair stopped falling out and the skies became sunny. I'm totally serious.)

Fox News is everywhere. I remember changing the channel in the Commons at UWF...2000-2002. I couldn't stand to listen to it. My pharmacist tunes in to Fox everyday and it's always on. I've seen it at the doctor's office. And I'm sure I told you about the guy I worked for...5 TV's...all FOX...all day...blasting in every room of the house...I could go on and on...Fox viewers really think they have the inside track...only Fox can give them the real deal...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

FlaTexan has solved the mystery.

I didn't know that Fox News was supporting ONLY Carson.  And not supporting any of the white republican candidates (none of whom are campaigning on doing away with Medicare). 
That would explain it.

But boy my Sometimers must have gone into Alzheimers.  Because I watch Fox News a lot and I could have sworn I've seen it cheerleading for candidates other than Carson.  But I guess not.

Talkingpointsmemo and Forwardprogressives.com... lol.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Salinsky wrote:
  I guarantee you that the vast majority of this fans have no clue that he has advocated killing Medicare.

Trump has been preaching to them every chance he gets that Carson wants to end their Medicare.
If they've never heard anything Trump is telling them,  then there would be no reason why Trump has lead the polls for two months.

It's not logical.

It's completely illogical.

These people have been indoctrinated to believe that everyone from the media, to scientists, to universities, to the government, everyone is lying to them and is out to persecute them.

They're not going to believe that Donald Trump is telling the truth about Dr. Ben.

Given a video of Dr. Ben murdering Medicare with an axe, they'd blame it on media bias.

Carson is going directly for the voters who feel most persecuted and victimized, and they're not inclined to think logically.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Boy this is really perplexing.

They're out there en masse hanging on Trump's every word.  But they don't believe him when he says Carson wants to end Medicare.

And when Carson tells them he wants to end Medicare,  they don't believe him either.

This is like the plot of a science fiction movie.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is not politics.  This is more like the plot of some bizarre science fiction movie.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wow,  in that case this is not politics.  This is more like the plot of some bizarre science fiction movie.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wow.  In that case this is not politics.  This is more like the plot of some bizarre science fiction movie.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:
Bob wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

It's not logical.

It's completely illogical.

These people have been indoctrinated to believe that everyone from the media, to scientists, to universities, to the government, everyone is lying to them and is out to persecute them.

They're not going to believe that Donald Trump is telling the truth about Dr. Ben.

Given a video of Dr. Ben murdering Medicare with an axe, they'd blame it on media bias.

Carson is going directly for the voters who feel most persecuted and victimized, and they're not inclined to think logically.

My god,  if that's the case then this is not politics.  This is more like the plot of a bad science fiction movie.

polecat

polecat

Marco Rubio trails a reality show star and a grifter on a 2-week book tour by over 10pts in his home state; or as media puts it, 'surging.'- John Fugelsang

polecat

polecat

Now, here's a question that so offended somnolent surgeon Ben Carson at the CNBC debate last week. It has to do with Carson's relationship with a company called Mannatech: "They offered claims that they could cure autism, cancer, they paid $7 million to settle a deceptive marketing lawsuit in Texas, and yet your involvement continued. Why?" Carson gave some bullshit answer that didn't begin to cover the extent of his relationship with the snake oil salespeople.

But Carson used this exchange to call for a "reform" of the debates. He said in an interview this week, "Yes, the questions about Mannatech are definitely gotcha questions. There’s no truth, you know, and all they would have to do, because I know people know how to investigate, they could easily go back and find out that I don’t have any formal relationships with Mannatech."

The "gotcha" question is in the ears of the beholder. See, you might think, "Here's this thing you did. Why don't you explain it?" is a gotcha question. But that's the fuckin' game, gang. You did do something. Jimmy Carter did say he thought about balling some strange. Barack Obama did go to Jeremiah Wright's church. And fuckin' Ben Carson made a shit-ton of money hawking Mannatech products. You might not like being asked about it, and your fans might not like you being asked about it, but Carter and Obama knew perfectly well what would come up and how to deal with it. Carson's just pissed he got caught and is too much of a naif to have a ready response.

Republicans this year have lost their minds over the "format" of the debates. They're raging about the RNC's schedule and set-up. So the candidates are making up their own rules. They're demanding all kinds of shit that, if Democrats asked for them, would have been subject to unending derision. And it's all because some of the candidates don't like being asked things like "Here's this plan of yours that experts say is ten kinds of suck. So how do you think it can work?"

From the Rude 1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum