Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Starting a small engine application after stale gas fouls it

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

I have had problems over the years getting my small engines going after they sit for a year. The new gas formulations really have compounded the problems. I have a three year old generator which looked great but I went an entire year without running it. Well we needed to take it to Florida to run some of our cutting equipment, and my wife said she could not start it. I simply put into utube how to start a generator with stale gas, and boom......I had a video. We had carb cleaner, so I followed the step by step and my wife and I lifted it onto our fold down back seat of the golf cart, I got a plastic chair and sat down and fixed it. We got it started first try and we are running it for about an hour. My point is anybody can almost fix anything with the help of the internet. I have been making repairs on my Bobcat for three years from a site where I can in real time chat on line with a bobcat mechanic who has walked me through some difficult repairs, and saved me thousands. What a tool the internet has become.

I don't mind lawnmower or generator size motors... but hate with a passion chainsaw size motors. If you know you are putting something up for an extended period... the best idea is to run it out of gas... the second option is putting treatment into the gas. The last option if the motor is larger... like your bobcat or boats is having a mechanic winterized them. They check gear oils and blow a fog into the motor. My boats and tractor crank right up in the spring.

2seaoat

Its funny that you mention a chain saw. I am so weak now that I have not chain sawed in a year. Part of the reason we are getting the generator going is that they have these electric pole chain saws on sale. We are going to buy two, and use them to help clear seven acres by trimming upper branches. I will rent a tractor for a day and we are going to hire a mulcher who will clear everything to mulch on an acre for a Thousand bucks. We will do our toughest acre with him and trim out the rest ourselves, but I am thinking of trying to get the chain saw going, but I only have a few pulls in me. I have argued for years if they put a battery with recharge capability for a starter on chain saws they would have a ten million dollar invention because the hardest thing for elderly and disabled is starting the damn things. I will probably bring the Bobcat down in December after my shot after thanks giving. I need to be putting a road base in with red clay, but I hate to get my rollers in Florida sand.....tears them up.

I'd probably just rent the bobcat too... by the time you factor in hauling and repairs it'll be a wash.

I gave away my chainsaws this spring and bought an electric 16" and one of those pole extendable ones too.

I refuse to spend one more minute taking them apart... adjusting the carb... and pulling on the damn things.

2seaoat

I got so explosive with chain saw issues in my prime, I remember we had a fire going and the kids were helping get the brush over to the fire when this 200 dollar cheapo Poulan chain saw I got at lowes decides to puke out. I take the chain saw and rather than dicking around with it for a half hour, the kids see me throw it in the fire.....we get a cool explosion, and I pick up another chain saw and continue working. The last three years my wife has had to help me start the chain saw and frankly it will probably be all electric. We used a sawzall to take a tree down at the rental house and it took thirty seconds and no gas, oil, and blade to sharpen.

My wife calls my Bobcat, Bobpussy. Neighbors and friends all ask if Seaoat is getting it on with his Bobpussy. My wife thinks I am having an affair with the machine. Renting a Bobcat with foot controls and a tracked machine is NOT so easy in the Pensacola area now......it used to be easy, but I can only get a wheeled one and I will be doing dirt work where I have to precisely lay a clay road base, and I need my bobcat for about a month and maybe two to build the roads for the project. I will not get bounced around as much as gravel, and I will put it in the bed of my dump truck, and my wife will run clay and I will have a company I have used run clay, and I should have my base done in three weeks. I will rent a machine during the next two weeks and I will build a four foot ramp to load and unload the dump with having some dirt delivered. My pit in Navarre is running out of material, so I will have to find some other pits, but there are plenty of them and I am hoping to be able to go in and get approvals in April for a project.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum