Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are there any rich philanthropists here who would consider buying this for me?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I really have to have this. Please.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRANK-SINATRAS-78-RPM-SEEBURG-HOME-JUKEBOX-RECORD-MUSIC-LIBRARY/181584524936?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D33441%26meid%3D969060fc3fe54fedae3bf1f851d3d290%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D151832616518

2seaoat

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

I thought you got it.......nah......how did it work out for Frank....or was it Bing?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

I thought you got it.......nah......how did it work out for Frank....or was it Bing?

I was being facetious.  Even if I was given the money,  I wouldn't pay $111,111.11 for a jukebox if it was owned by Duane Allman and Muddy Waters both and they got it from Elvis and the Beatles.
Besides,  I've bought so many jukeboxes and other crap for ten cents on the dollar in my life that I got burned out on that years ago.
But if you have one for ten cents on the dollar send me a PM.

2seaoat

Hey, lets see who can throw the best dart......I say Texas, because the experts were saying NY earlier today, with it heading straight north....what say a dart thrower.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Hey, lets see who can throw the best dart......I say Texas, because the experts were saying NY earlier today, with it heading straight north....what say a dart thrower.

I'm just naive, seaoat. I'll have to go with the forecasters. I know it makes me be like just some sucker who buys into Jeane Dixon's psychic predictions, but the one thing they taught me in Draft Dodger U. is what I always go by.
Well come to think of it they didn't teach me much of nothing but that was probably my fault. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But I can tell you this. That eBay seller is a long time west coast antique jukebox dealer who's known for being a real hustler.
And I've seen this sort of thing before. I remember one of these hustlers got ahold of a country star's jukebox (coulda been Johnny Cash but not sure) because some dumbass sold it to him for next to nothing. They take advantage of the ill and infirmed.
So my guess is this dude probably has no more than a grand in this thing.
That's the kind of profit margin these guys like to work on.

Sal

Sal

Is that a juke box style that was mass produced, or is that a custom job?

I'd love to see that thing up close.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:Is that a juke box style that was mass produced, or is that a custom job?

I'd love to see that thing up close.

That's one of only three Seeburg jukebox models that wasn't coin operated and was marketed to fat cat homeowners.  The other one was made a few years later and held 45 rpm records.  But the third one was really unique because it was the only jukebox made which held 12" 33 1/3 LP's.

The 33 player being so unique has some collector demand but the other two not so much.  The only reason they aren't more in demand is because they aren't sexy looking,  just plain jane boxes.  The interest in antique jukeboxes is as much about about the beautiful period design as it is their mechanical qualities.  And the home models didn't have that.
But they do have one thing going for them to help their collectible value.
They were produced in far fewer numbers than their coin-op brothers.

So the bottom line is,  the lion's share of the value with this thing is it's personal association to a music legend.  Kinda like that story I once related about the woman who visited Graceland to pick Elvis' toenail clippings out of the bedroom carpet.  If those hadn't been Elvis' toenail clippings and been run of the mill toenail clippings they wouldn't be worth as much.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I don't mean to obsess about this but you asked about something I devoted a lot of my life to, Sal,  and this jukebox (without the Sinatra connection) points to something interesting about the whole business and why these companies devoted so much of their r&d  money to hire really good industrial artists to make these things attention getters.  It's because that's the whole point of a coin-operated machine.  It has to get your attention and get you drawn to it enough that it will get you to empty your pockets.
But that's also why they didn't really need to do that with the home jukeboxes.
The home versions only needed to empty the deep pocket of the home buyer one time when he purchased it.  So the jukebox company didn't waste any money on the aesthetics of those.
In other words,  like every other piece of what is now prized Americana,  back then the jukebox was just another product to sell for a profit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum