Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If Bob is so much smarter than his high school history "teacher", Mr. Ezell, then let's see how Bob would teach history class.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Firstly, for the uninitiated, "Mister Ezell" (and I think that was his first name) was a hick farmer who lived in Brewton, whose crops dried up, and who got a teacher certificate (lord only knows what agricultural college by mail that was all about).
Then he came to Pensacola High still wearing his coveralls (literally), and then convinced me that "history class" was like an even more severe version of "detention". "Detention" was punishment for acting up and consisted of sitting and doing nothing for an hour after school and not making a sound because if you did, the toughest PE coach (later to become Marine Drill Instructor) in the school system, "Mister Smith", would make you do 10 laps around the track out back. Sometimes 20 for me. lol

But, yes, "history class" truly was as bad as detention. We all slept for an hour after the farmer/teacher said "class, read chapter 4" while he sat at the desk reading seed catalogs (again that's literally the truth).
Frankly, I think the problem was he didn't wanna be there any more than we did. He spent the whole class time daydreaming about being on the farm again.
But I still don't forgive those in charge of how the schools operate for not being more particular about how teachers are selected. And especially for allowing this person to be teaching history which he obviously knew nothing about and cared nothing about.
Anyway, the bottom line on the experience is, that gave me such bad vibes about the concept of "history", that I turned totally off to it for the next several years. I intentionally avoided anything to do with history the whole time I was in college. And when it was forced on me I slept through that too.

Which brings us to this. I don't want to be like Trump. I want to show you EXACTLY HOW I would do something different and not just talk about it like he does.
If I was teaching history class and it's 1966 or 67 (not sure if it was my junior or senior year), I would get a blowup of this poster and set it up on an easel in the front of the class. And together we would read what all is on it. And look at the images on it. And together we would learn about one of the most significant events in American history. And all the changes in our country and in our way of life that it led to.
One thing I've learned with my occupation, was how the really good examples of industrial and commercial art of the period can convey more history than what is written in books.

p.s. be sure to click on the photo to enlarge it so you can see it better.

http://www.emovieposter.com/images/moviestars/AA121011/550/commercial_union_pacific_railroad_platte_valley_route_HP01781_L.jpg

Bob wrote:Firstly,  for the uninitiated,  "Mister Ezell" (and I think that was his first name) was a hick farmer who lived in Brewton,  whose crops dried up,  and who got a teacher certificate (lord only knows what agricultural college by mail that was all about).
Then he came to Pensacola High still wearing his coveralls (literally),  and then convinced me that "history class" was like an even more severe version of "detention".   "Detention" was punishment for acting up and consisted of  sitting and doing nothing for an hour after school and not making a sound because if you did,  the toughest PE coach (later to become Marine Drill Instructor) in the school system,  "Mister Smith",  would make you do 10 laps around the track out back.  Sometimes 20 for me.  lol

But,  yes,  "history class" truly was as bad as detention.  We all slept for an hour after the farmer/teacher said "class,  read chapter 4" while he sat at the desk reading seed catalogs (again that's literally the truth).  
Frankly,  I think the problem was he didn't wanna be there any more than we did.  He spent the whole class time daydreaming about being on the farm again.  
But I still don't forgive those in charge of how the schools operate for not being more particular about how teachers are selected.  And especially for allowing this person to be teaching history which he obviously knew nothing about and cared nothing about.
Anyway,  the bottom line on the experience is,  that gave me such bad vibes about the concept of "history",  that I turned totally off to it for the next several years.   I intentionally avoided anything to do with history the whole time I was in college.  And when it was forced on me I slept through that too.

Which brings us to this.  I don't want to be like Trump.  I want to show you EXACTLY HOW I would do something different and not just talk about it like he does.  
If I was teaching history class and it's 1966 or 67 (not sure if it was my junior or senior year),  I would get a blowup of this poster and set it up on an easel in the front of the class.  And together we would read what all is on it.  And look at the images on it.  And together we would learn about one of the most significant events in American history.  And all the changes in our country and in our way of life that it led to.  
One thing I've learned with my occupation, was how the really good examples of industrial and commercial art of the period can convey more history than what is written in books.  

p.s.  be sure to click on the photo to enlarge it so you can see it better.

http://www.emovieposter.com/images/moviestars/AA121011/550/commercial_union_pacific_railroad_platte_valley_route_HP01781_L.jpg

Nobody uses an easel anymore bro...or a chalkboard

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There was no such thing as an iPad or a video projector in 1967,  teach.  
If you're teaching history too,  you might need to brush up on that period a little.  
I hope you don't have seed catalogs. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

So here's how I'd teach you 1960's history, teach.

I wouldn't need a computer,  All I'd need is one of these (which I have one) and bring it to the class you're in.

If Bob is so much smarter than his high school history "teacher",  Mr. Ezell,  then let's see how Bob would teach history class. Original

I would point out that this was the first "remote control" to operate anything of any kind.  It had 2 buttons.  Volume and channel.
And tv media at the time was limited to three channels.  Not thousands like now.
And national news was only presented once a day.  And for only 15 minutes.

And I would let you and the rest in your class hold something in your hand that was Made In America.  And only in America.

And then we could learn something about the history of both technology and media. Which go hand in hand with each other.

Space commander 300... lol. I love it. I remember jingling the coins in my pocket and changing the channel.

Used to drive my grandfather crazy. He was a hardass... we had to wear a collared shirt to eat... even breakfast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum