Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can any liberal please quote the law signed into effect that requires gay marriage to be law of the land?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I'll be waiting for the statute and actual law number....if you can find one.

Sal

Sal

It's called the Constitution.

See the Supremacy Clause.

2seaoat

I'll be waiting for the statute and actual law number....if you can find one.

You have claimed to be in graduate school......they must not require a GRE score, because NO graduate student in America would ask this question.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Whoops der it is.....no wait...

http://marriage.laws.com/gay/state-laws/kentucky

Can any liberal please quote the law signed into effect that requires gay marriage to be law of the land? Law10

2seaoat

Our legal scholars are brilliant.....so if Florida passed a poll tax which said that all Christians could not vote unless they paid the tax, and a Judge ruled the law unconstitutional, you would be fine with the law because it superceded the constitution.....really folks are we this stupid, or are we just playing the role of a stupid person?

Sal

Sal

The Supreme Court ruled that the Fourteenth Amendment requires states to issue licenses.

She refused.

A U.S. District Court Judge ordered her to get to it.

She refused the order.

Contempt of court.

Can I dumb this down any further? [rhetorical]

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Salinsky wrote: The Supreme Court ruled that the Fourteenth Amendment requires states to issue licenses. ....

No it didn't.  

The thrust of the Obergefell decision was that States may not discriminate against persons based on the gender in the issuance of marriage licenses.

Ms Davis has not discriminated.  She's not accepting license applications from anyone at all .... homosexual or heterosexual, monogamous or polygamous, Christian or a-theist.   That's not exactly discrimination.

I don't see how the Supreme Court of the United States can compel a County Clerk to issue marriage licenses ... anymore than they can compel a State to issue concealed carry permits.    They can only compel them to be non-discriminatory in the manner in which they do it.

It's up to the State of Kentucky to compel Ms Davis, as County Clerk, to issue marriage licenses, not SCOTUS.   SCOTUS can only require she be non-discriminatory in the manner in which she implements the State law.

Until a County Clerk issues marriage licenses to opposite-sex couples, yet refuses to do so for same-sex couples ... it's really not SCOTUS business so far as i can tell.

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 9/5/2015, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

Sorry, the fact that no marriage licenses are being issued does not fly when all but three counties in KY are issuing licenses. Denying citizens of their rights does not get a magic cloak which makes the intent disappear because a ministerial official makes the absurd argument that there can be no violation of a citizens equal protection guarantees because we just stopped issuing licenses.......really.....we need to get high school Juniors getting civics education....the level of ignorance is astounding in 2015. I can understand people with cognitive limitations, but we have some intelligent people acting very ignorant of how our constitution and courts work.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

2seaoat wrote: Denying citizens of their rights ....

Where is the "right" to have a marriage license issued by a State government in the US Constitution?

Until such time as the State discriminates .... nobody's "rights" have been violated.

It's up to the State to compel County Clerk Davis to begin issuing State marriage licenses again .... and when/if she does, SCOTUS can step in if she does it in a discriminatory manner.   She hasn't yet.

2seaoat

Where is the right to have a marriage license issued by a State government in the US Constitution?

Until such time as the State discriminates .... nobody's "rights" have been violated.

This really is difficult for you. I will type extremely slow. All counties in KY are issuing marriage licenses. Three counties have had their clerks say that they will not issue same sex certificates because of their personal religious revulsion with those seeking a certificate. Only you are arguing that there is right to a state issued marriage certificate. The argument is that where marriage certificates are issued in a state all citizens must be afforded equal protection of the law. In regard to your "Until such time".........do you drink in the morning? The time came and passed as same sex marriage certificates were denied because of religious criteria which the courts have found violate those equal protection guarantees.......I really hope you are just messing around and are not this challenged.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

2seaoat wrote:...
This really is difficult for you.  I will type extremely slow.  All counties in KY are issuing marriage licenses.  Three counties have had their clerks say that they will not issue same sex certificates

And i will type extremely slow since this is difficult for you.

"Three counties have had their Clerks say that they will not issue"
any marriage licenses.  To anyone.  

That's pretty non-discriminatory.   It's a matter for the State of Kentucky to compel these County Clerks to issue marriage licenses.   Not SCOTUS.  And if/when they discriminate, SCOTUS may hold them to task.  But not till then.

2seaoat

It's a matter for the State of Kentucky to compel these County Clerks to issue marriage licenses. Not SCOTUS.

I must not have typed slowly enough.......this is a district federal Court and not the Supreme Court which is issuing the contempt citation.....jeeeez....you have to be joking. Constitutionally elected state officials CANNOT be mandated by the state as you suggest because they have NO direct authority, and the State would like the complainants in the federal case, have to file a petition called a writ of mandamus with the state court to get compliance by the same fricking process which is happening at the federal level and under the same legal standards.......Maybe you are not joking.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum