Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emperor Obama Renames N. America's Tallest Mountain

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Emperor Obama Renames N. America's Tallest Mountain Screen11

It will now be known as Mount Obama.

Haha!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/us/mount-mckinley-will-be-renamed-denali.html

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Wow our old white men are dropping off the pages of history....pretty soon our money will have old progressives on it...

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Haven't researched this too much yet ... but from what I've seen thus far seems the mountain was officially named as Mt McKinley by the Federal government via passage of the Mount McKinley National Park Act by Congress  in 1917.  

So now the President can override legislation via Executive Order?  

In any case .... during my short perusal of the net on the matter, I did find this one comment to a news article I thought spot-on:

If Presidential aggrandizement is OK, then the name is fine the way it is.

If Presidential aggrandizement is not OK, then the President shouldn't get to decide all by his lonesome what the highest mountain on the continent is called.

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 8/31/2015, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

polecat

polecat

Someone please tell us about all the trips McKinley made to the mountain.

Someone please tell us about all the trips McKinley made to Alaska.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

polecat wrote:Someone please tell us about all the trips McKinley made to the mountain.

I have no problem with changing the name personally if that's what the people want.

I do have a problem with a President assuming he has authority to do so via executive order when it was officially named via legislation.

polecat

polecat

EmeraldGhost wrote:
polecat wrote:Someone please tell us about all the trips McKinley made to the mountain.

I have no problem with changing the name personally if that's what the people want.

I do have a problem with a President assuming he has authority to do so via executive order when it was officially named via legislation.

Legislation?
Like the Patriot Act?

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

polecat wrote:
Legislation?
Like the Patriot Act?

Patriot Act?   We're talking here about the Mount McKinley National Park Act of 1917.   What's wrong with you?

In any case ... there's more to this.   Seems Congress may have granted authority to the Secretary of the Interior to change geographic place names at 43 USC 364. We shall see.   This could be much ado about nothing.

Still ... seeing as how this is something that has been a subject of Congressional debate in recent years, and as I quoted someone in a previous post:

If Presidential aggrandizement is OK, then the name is fine the way it is.  If Presidential aggrandizement is not OK, then the President shouldn't get to decide all by his lonesome what the highest mountain on the continent is called.

This is your "audacity" Obama's ghost-writer was talking about in the title of his book, I s'pose.

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 8/31/2015, 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sal

Sal

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.opengov.ibmcloud.com/files/press-release/Denali%20Name%20Change.pdf

polecat

polecat

Alaska's conservatives have been petitioning for Denali name change since Statehood.

Obama grants it. Conservatives piss themselves.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

polecat wrote:Alaska's conservatives have been petitioning for Denali name change since Statehood.

Obama grants it. Conservatives piss themselves.

Question is ..... was it within his authority to do so?    

As I previously posted, it may very well have been .... kind of.    He didn't do it personally anyway.  The Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewel did .... and this may have been within her authority per 43 USC 364.  Obama merely endorsed the name change.

Sal

Sal

Trump just chimed in on this ....

"Assassinated? Really? What a loser. I'm with Obama on this. Plus, it's a really terrific car. Really, really terrific and beautiful."

polecat

polecat

Emperor Obama Renames N. America's Tallest Mountain 11954555_10205854925987273_5328184899827660587_n

''HIGH QUALITY ALUMINUM TUBES''

Sal

Sal

Two more tyrannical executive overreach outrages in the works ...

"Mount Rushmore" to be renamed "Four Old Honkies"

and

"Animal Kingdom" @Disneyland to be renamed "Kenyaland"

2seaoat

What name change. It was known as Denali and still is known as Denali. What is the issue? Oh, that is right.....I was taught in fourth grade that it was named after a President. Kinda like senile Uncle George calling your kid by another name.....it doesn't change the name just because he calls it out, and thinks that is the name of the Kid.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:What name change.  It was known as Denali and still is known as Denali.  What is the issue?  Oh, that is right.....I was taught in fourth grade that it was named after a President.  Kinda like senile Uncle George calling your kid by another name.....it doesn't change the name just because he calls it out, and thinks that is the name of the Kid.

Well, it's a day that ends with "y", and there's no news on the email front, so I guess this will have to serve as the outrage du jour.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

I propose ..... Mount Obama!

Emperor Obama Renames N. America's Tallest Mountain 120423050950-lebanon-landfill-horizontal-large-gallery

2seaoat

The native Americans already named that mountain...Mount trumpahanis.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum