Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time off after birth of a child

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Time off after birth of a child Empty Time off after birth of a child 8/18/2015, 9:36 am

nadalfan

Sad

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nearly-1-in-4-new-mothers-return-to-work-less-than-2-weeks-after-giving-birth_55d308aae4b0ab468d9e3e37?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=Politics&section=politics&kvcommref=mostpopular

"Nearly 1 in 4 new mothers surveyed by the department in 2012 were back at work within just two weeks of having a new baby, according to an analysis conducted by researchers at Abt Associates for an investigative feature in In These Times, published Tuesday morning. "...

"The U.S. is the only major country on the globe that offers no paid time off for new mothers, placing a terrible burden on these women, their families and the country."...

"Meanwhile, the Family Act, a bill that would offer federally mandated paid leave to new parents, has so far gone nowhere in Congress. However, the two leading Democratic presidential candidates support it, and some Republicans are even starting to come around on the issue"

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I have a young friend who is expecting her 3rd child and works for ECSD. I was surprised that she will receive zero paid maternity leave. We are way behind other countries in this. Our culture today barely recognizes the sanctity of the family...and then we wonder why so many families break up. Lots of talk about "family values"...little action.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Why should the choice to have a child be a mandatory financial responsibility on the part of a private sector business?   If an employer chooses to offer maternity or paternity leave as an recruitment or retention incentive, fine.  Otherwise .....

My wife took 16 years of "maternity leave" when we had our child and didn't get paid a dime.  Nor did other taxpayers have to subsidize our "day care" via the Child Care Tax Credit.   Sure, perhaps we could have had more luxuries, a bigger house, newer cars more often, fancier vacations, etc had she continued working, but it was a quality-of-life issue .... for all of us.

IMO, if you can't afford to support your children on one income ... you shouldn't be having them. I'm just old-school that way.

Take some responsibility for yourselves & your life choices, people!

Sal

Sal

EmeraldGhost wrote:Why should the choice to have a child be a mandatory financial responsibility on the part of a private sector business?   If an employer chooses to offer maternity or paternity leave as an recruitment or retention incentive, fine.  Otherwise .....

My wife took 16 years of "maternity leave" when we had our child and didn't get paid a dime.  Nor did other taxpayers have to subsidize our "day care" via the Child Care Tax Credit.   Sure, perhaps we could have had more luxuries, a bigger house, newer cars more often, fancier vacations, etc had she continued working, but it was a quality-of-life issue .... for all of us.

IMO, if you can't afford to support your children on one income ... you shouldn't be having them.   I'm just old-school that way.

Well, I guess it comes down to a choice.

Do you want to live in a functional and compassionate society that values families?

Or, do you want to live in a society where businesses are allowed to squeeze every fucking cent they can manage from the middle class?

And, what's with these pesky child labor laws?

nadalfan

EmeraldGhost wrote:Why should the choice to have a child be a mandatory financial responsibility on the part of a private sector business?   If an employer chooses to offer maternity or paternity leave as an recruitment or retention incentive, fine.  Otherwise .....

IMO, if you can't afford to support your children on one income ... you shouldn't be having them.   I'm just old-school that way.

Nobody expects a company to pay an employee for taking 16 years off for maternity leave, that's silly.

The relationship between an employer and employee is a mutually beneficial relationship, it's not a one-way street. An employer is not doing a person a favor by hiring them, they are expecting something in return. A company also does not exist independently of the society in which it operates. We all value family and the importance of a strong and healthy relationship between parents and children. Satisfied and well treated employees are better employees and that benefits the company. Strong bonds between parents and children benefit everyone, from the individuals, to companies, to society at large. Sometimes it is important to look at the larger picture.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum