Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alaska Governor Sidesteps GOP-Controlled Legislature, Expands Medicaid On His Own

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/07/16/3681554/alaska-medicaid-expansion/

Excellent news for Alaskans.  Terrible news for republicans.  

Alaska is now the 30th state to expand Medicaid under the ACA.  40,000 Alaskans will gain health insurance as a result of this policy. That is roughly 5% of the population.

Alaska will become the 30th state to accept Obamacare’s optional Medicaid expansion, after Gov. Bill Walker (I) announced on Thursday that he will use his executive power to bypass the GOP-controlled legislature and implement the policy on his own.

Walker — a former Republican who has since become an Independent — has been advocating for Medicaid expansion for over a year. Implementing this particular Obamacare provision, which was ruled optional by the Supreme Court in 2012, would extend health coverage to an estimated 40,000 low-income residents in his state. Polling has found that the majority of Alaska residents agree with Walker’s position.

Nonetheless, Republican lawmakers have repeatedly blocked efforts to approve the expansion of the public health program, saying that low-income people need to take more personal responsibility for themselves.

“I think in this time, in these lean years, it’s time for communities to pull together, it’s time for churches to step up, it’s time to help give a hand to each other as individuals. We can be kind as people. It’s not government’s place to be kind,” State Rep. Shelley Hughes (R) said in reference to uninsured Alaskans when the House voted down Medicaid expansion in March.

Now, Walker has had enough. In a press conference on Thursday, the governor said he will move forward with Medicaid expansion even without the legislature’s approval.

“This is the final option for me — I’ve tried everything else,” Walker said. “Thousands of Alaskans and more than 150 organizations, including chambers of commerce, local hospitals, and local governments, have been waiting long enough for Medicaid expansion. It’s time to expand Medicaid so thousands of our friends, coworkers, neighbors, and family members don’t have to make the choice between health care or bankruptcy.”

Across the country, Obamacare opponents have continued to block this provision of the health care reform law, a move that’s leaving millions of poor Americans without any affordable insurance options whatsoever. Many GOP lawmakers cite financial concerns about the program, even though the federal government will pick up the majority of the cost of expansion.

Pro-Medicaid governors have become increasingly frustrated with their legislatures that stubbornly refuse to expand the program. Last summer, Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) announced similar plans to find a workaround to GOP resistance and extend coverage to additional low-income residents (though he’s so far struggled to advance that plan). In Ohio, Gov. John Kasich (R) fought for months with members of his own party to implement the policy, describing assistance for uninsured Americans as a moral imperative. Slowly but surely, the policy is now starting to gain momentum in GOP-controlled states.

Standard progressive tactic. Sidestep the issue because they're ball less.

*****JUST LIKE BOARDS*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA

Neutral

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The governor is making the state give up its "cut off your nose to spite your face" mentality. Good for him. Do what's best for the people and not just make a statement against the ACA/President Obama. The GOP needs to grow up. I know the governor is an Independent but to do an end run around the GOP legislature was a good thing.

boards of FL

boards of FL

The Man Comes Around wrote:Standard progressive tactic. Sidestep the issue because they're ball less.

Neutral

It isn't the issue that was side-stepped, it was the republican party's attempt to block medicaid expansion that was side-stepped.   The underlying issue at hand was medicaid expansion, and - fortunately for Alaskans - that policy was adopted.

That is a win for everyone but republicans.

boards of FL wrote:
The Man Comes Around wrote:Standard progressive tactic. Sidestep the issue because they're ball less.

Neutral

It isn't the issue that was side-stepped, it was the republican party's attempt to block medicaid expansion that was side-stepped.   The underlying issue at hand was medicaid expansion, and - fortunately for Alaskans - that policy was adopted.

That is a win for everyone but republicans.

Standard progressive gobbledygook of 'the issue is not the issue but is the issue so we sidestepped it'. Yep! It takes a mentally retarded intellectual progressive to that way.

*****BOARDS AWARDED THE GIFTED AND TALENTED AWARD FOR SPECIAL NEEDS*****

Neutral

gatorfan

This is not about politics, it is however about whether the state can afford to add tens of thousands of enrollees prior to fixing their current medicaid system.

Not that a lack of money ever prevented a liberal loon from exulting over expanded benefits.

Taxpayer debt means nothing to a liberal loon since their primary voter base don't pay taxes anyway.

Alaska Governor Sidesteps GOP-Controlled Legislature, Expands Medicaid On His Own 337259927_looney_left_xlarge

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:This is not about politics, it is however about whether the state can afford to add tens of thousands of enrollees prior to fixing their current medicaid system.

Not that a lack of money ever prevented a liberal loon from exulting over expanded benefits.

Taxpayer debt means nothing to a liberal loon since their primary voter base don't pay taxes anyway.

Alaska Governor Sidesteps GOP-Controlled Legislature, Expands Medicaid On His Own 337259927_looney_left_xlarge

Are you actually familiar with how the ACA medicaid expansion works? Whether or not the state can afford to expand medicaid is sort of irrelevant seeing as how the federal government will be paying the vast majority of the cost.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:This is not about politics, it is however about whether the state can afford to add tens of thousands of enrollees prior to fixing their current medicaid system.

Are you actually familiar with how the ACA medicaid expansion works?   Whether or not the state can afford to expand medicaid is sort of irrelevant seeing as how the federal government will be paying the vast majority of the cost.  

Are you actually familiar? The federal money decreases over time. The real issue in Alaska is something you need to familiarize yourself with before spiking the ball in your usual hyper-partisan manner. The issue is their current system needs to be overhauled and the Governor didn't want to make that happen first - so here is a question for you. If it turns out their legislature is correct and the current system can't absorb a major influx of people or afford them after the federal money starts decreasing what is your solution?

You have until Monday to dream up a real nifty solution since I'm going over to pick up my boat right now.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Are you actually familiar with how the ACA medicaid expansion works?   Whether or not the state can afford to expand medicaid is sort of irrelevant seeing as how the federal government will be paying the vast majority of the cost.  

Are you actually familiar? The federal money decreases over time. The real issue in Alaska is something you need to familiarize yourself with before spiking the ball in your usual hyper-partisan manner. The issue is their current system needs to be overhauled and the Governor didn't want to make that happen first - so here is a question for you. If it turns out their legislature is correct and the current system can't absorb a major influx of people or afford them after the federal money starts decreasing what is your solution?

You have until Monday to dream up a real nifty solution since I'm going over to pick up my boat right now.

You are correct. The federal government will pay 93% of the cost until 2022 and the 90% after that. Put another way, the marginal benefit to the citizens of Alaska dwarfs the marginal cost of 7%-10% per year. It is the height of ignorance to deny health insurance to your constituents at a cost of $0.07 to $0.10 cents on the dollar merely to make a political statement. And these estimates do not account for money already spent by state and local governments towards uncompensated care for the uninsured, which will no longer be needed.

The math works, so I find it hard to believe that Alaskans will find themselves at some point down the road wishing they had not expanded Medicaid availability, but should they, they can simply roll it back and forgo the federal money.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum