Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

THEY the smart people make medical errors that kill 195,000 Americans each year....

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/11856.php

An average of 195,000 people in the USA died due to potentially
preventable, in-hospital medical errors in each of the years 2000, 2001
and 2002, according to a new study of 37 million patient records that
was released today by HealthGrades, the healthcare quality company.

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 9/10/2012, 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Twisted Evil

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 9/10/2012, 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

How many lives do they save? You have to look at both sides of the equation to determine if it is significant.

Any life taken by negligence is precious and I certainly do not condone malpractice. I'm not trying to take that away from the heartbreak those families endure, but everything has to be taken into perspective.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://thebilzerianreport.com/?p=353

In fact, the War on Drugs has cost the American taxpayer over $2
trillion since the 1980′s. Imagine the amount of medical care that could
have been provided to those in need for just a fraction of those funds.
The United States now has the highest incarceration rate in the world,
and that is directly attributable to the war on drugs. According to the
Bureau of Justice Statistics’ “State Court Sentencing of Convicted
Felons, 2004” report, of the 1,078,920 people convicted of felonies in
the state courts that year, 362,850 were drug offenses. More than
700,000 people are arrested for marijuana possession every year, which
is over 50 percent of all drug-related arrests.

Many of these non-violent drug offenders are raped, assaulted, and
even murdered while incarcerated. Although it is extremely difficult to
gauge prison assaults because most go unreported, it is fair to estimate
that at least half of all inmates are either assaulted or commit
assaults in prison. The Federal Bureau of Prisons estimates that between
9 and 20 percent of all prisoners have been sexually assaulted. A
Struckman-Johnson study also observed that 22 percent of male inmates
had been coerced or persuaded into some form of sexual contact in
prison.

I agree that this is stupid, but I do not believe in unregulated access to all drugs.

I see what you did, but I captured it... bwahahaha!

Let's consider the odds, Teo. If you have a medical condition (maybe you're shot or something) and you have a 50/50 chance of dying, are you going to be a stubborn ass and just bleed out instead of seeking medical treatment?

If a doctor saves 3-4,000 patients lives and he has a mental burp and screws up royally on one patient and he dies, is that doctor a scumbag? It depends on what he did to screw up, granted, but you have to remember that we're all human and make mistakes. I know you think I'm perfect, but I must confess that I make stupid human errors too. Surprised

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yomama wrote:I see what you did, but I captured it... bwahahaha!

Let's consider the odds, Teo. If you have a medical condition (maybe you're shot or something) and you have a 50/50 chance of dying, are you going to be a stubborn ass and just bleed out instead of seeking medical treatment?

If a doctor saves 3-4,000 patients lives and he has a mental burp and screws up royally on one patient and he dies, is that doctor a scumbag? It depends on what he did to screw up, granted, but you have to remember that we're all human and make mistakes. I know you think I'm perfect, but I must confess that I make stupid human errors too. Surprised

You have a much greater appreciation for Doctors than I do. 50/50 is outstanding for most of these quacks. They don't save anyone they should optimally provide the best conditions for the patients body to save itself. I have personally witnessed many deaths due to Doctors being inept. If you extrapolate the ones I am aware of to the whole field then it would surpass 195000 I am sure.

Slicef18

Slicef18

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/11856.php

What is the error factor in HealthGrades study. Being a healthcare quality corporation, we must accept they have a financial incentive to report safety issues. Not unlike the StudeGroup.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Slicef18 wrote:

What is the error factor in HealthGrades study. Being a healthcare quality corporation, we must accept they have a financial incentive to report safety issues. Not unlike the StudeGroup.

Same old tactic vilify the reporter. Let's say they over estimated by double..I guess a 100,000 is just business as usual....say Slice don't you have some patented GMO potatoes to eat from those smart people at Monsanto ?

TEOTWAWKI wrote:You have a much greater appreciation for Doctors than I do. 50/50 is outstanding for most of these quacks. They don't save anyone they should optimally provide the best conditions for the patients body to save itself. I have personally witnessed many deaths due to Doctors being inept. If you extrapolate the ones I am aware of to the whole field then it would surpass 195000 I am sure.

Since you didn't answer my question, I guess you would rather become a statistic for natural selection.

Yeah, I have heard your story about your relative... a niece, was it? I am sorry it happened, and the doctor may have been a scumbag. There are jerks and incompetents in all professions.

Edit: I wonder what is a "potentially preventable, in-hospital medical error"? Potentially?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yomama wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:You have a much greater appreciation for Doctors than I do. 50/50 is outstanding for most of these quacks. They don't save anyone they should optimally provide the best conditions for the patients body to save itself. I have personally witnessed many deaths due to Doctors being inept. If you extrapolate the ones I am aware of to the whole field then it would surpass 195000 I am sure.

Since you didn't answer my question, I guess you would rather become a statistic for natural selection.

Yeah, I have heard your story about your relative... a niece, was it? I am sorry it happened, and the doctor may have been a scumbag. There are jerks and incompetents in all professions.

Edit: I wonder what is a "potentially preventable, in-hospital medical error"? Potentially?

Great memory there ERIC perhaps it's the vaccines..It was my GRANDDAUGHTER...

I spent a few minutes looking at Google links for hospital deaths and several sites mentioned a 1 in 20 hospital deaths (in England) are probably preventable, mostly due to improper diagnosis or improper treatment for infection.

That number seems high... and a whole lot more than I would have suspected. Not acceptable.

I STILL believe that I will take my car to a mechanic, my camera to a camera repair shop, and my medical problems to a doctor. There is no other reasonable alternative to an ER when you have a true medical emergency.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Great memory there ERIC perhaps it's the vaccines..It was my GRANDDAUGHTER...

Sorry for the mistake.

I never said I have a great memory. Neutral

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I always like to post these unassailable FACTS that when doctors go on strike ANYWHERE the death rates plunge.... !!

http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/502-death-rates-drop-when-doctors-go-on-strike.html

The longer the doctors' strike continued, the more the death rate
fell. In some locations, the death rate dropped by an astounding 50%.
Unfortunately, the doctors eventually stopped their strike, and the
mortality rates returned to normal again. This same thing had happened
in Israel previously, almost twenty years earlier.

“There definitely
is a connection between the doctors' sanctions and fewer deaths. We
saw the same thing in 1983 [when the Israel Medical Association applied
sanctions for four and a half months]
.”

— Meir Adler, manager of the Shamgar Funeral Parlour

So, the best way to reduce deaths in this country may be to fire the doctors.

We are doing the best we can. and we are getting better all the time.

I doubt firing all the doctors would save any lives.

But I'll have some of what your having. Razz

Slicef18

Slicef18

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:

Same old tactic vilify the reporter. Let's say they over estimated by double..I guess a 100,000 is just business as usual....say Slice don't you have some patented GMO potatoes to eat from those smart people at Monsanto ?

Talk about paranoia, I never mentioned any reporter. I asked about the study and you go off on some disassociated, non relevant rant about a vegetable. Were talk'n irrational paranoia verbalizing non-existing material.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Slicef18 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:

Talk about paranoia, I never mentioned any reporter. I asked about the study and you go off on some disassociated, non relevant rant about a vegetable. Were talk'n irrational paranoia verbalizing non-existing material.

It all ties together unless you are out of touch....

Slicef18

Slicef18

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:

It all ties together unless you are out of touch....

Talk about being out of touch. My reply, "I never mentioned any reporter. I asked about the study and you go off on some disassociated, non relevant rant about a vegetable. Were talk'n irrational paranoia verbalizing non-existing material." I referred to was apparently seen as being relevant in the world you live in, but to the rest of the world your asking if I don't have some potatoes to eat is a completely irrelevant statement. BWT what evidence do you have that the people at Monsato are statistically smarter than the public in general.
I'm betting you cannot give a reply that stays on subject.

2seaoat

I make mistakes. Doctors make mistakes. They have made mistakes in my treatment, and my life hangs in the balance. A year of going to an allergist who never ordered a pressurized breathing test, or took and xray. His conclusion that my breathing problems were asthma. I had a tumor in my left lung lobe which had collapsed the lung. I was walking around with my lung joined together by a tumor and for a year almost he was telling me I had asthma.....at the end he was going to take skin tests to see what I was allergic to.....but I politely told him I needed a second opinion.

A pulmonary doc who saved my life finding the tumor. and having great wisdom and experience.......but once he knew I had endocrine cancer or more specifically atypical carcinoid, he should have ordered a octreotide scan of my entire body to try to find the primary tumor.....he did not. They cut the lung out, and I was told that I had a very good chance.

Four years later when I knew it had spread......my gastro guy ordered the Octreotide scan, and the three tumors had grown on my liver to the size of golf balls......if I had been put on Sandostatin four years ago, I probably could have lived for years.....they all made mistakes, but they also saved my life repeatedly. I guess I have learned you have to be your own advocate, you have to read, and be informed. You cannot expect doctors to be immortal gods, but recognize that they have knowledge which can help you, but you must always be vigilant. You must always be your own advocate, and understand the limits of man. It is foolish to walk away from knowledge, but it is equally foolish to always take it at face value. There are objective and scientific cures and solutions, but the path to find those are often a long journey with many wrong turns.......you do not stop the journey because it is not perfect......you simply move forward.

Slicef18

Slicef18

2seaoat wrote:I make mistakes. Doctors make mistakes. They have made mistakes in my treatment, and my life hangs in the balance. A year of going to an allergist who never ordered a pressurized breathing test, or took and xray. His conclusion that my breathing problems were asthma. I had a tumor in my left lung lobe which had collapsed the lung. I was walking around with my lung joined together by a tumor and for a year almost he was telling me I had asthma.....at the end he was going to take skin tests to see what I was allergic to.....but I politely told him I needed a second opinion.

A pulmonary doc who saved my life finding the tumor. and having great wisdom and experience.......but once he knew I had endocrine cancer or more specifically atypical carcinoid, he should have ordered a octreotide scan of my entire body to try to find the primary tumor.....he did not. They cut the lung out, and I was told that I had a very good chance.

Four years later when I knew it had spread......my gastro guy ordered the Octreotide scan, and the three tumors had grown on my liver to the size of golf balls......if I had been put on Sandostatin four years ago, I probably could have lived for years.....they all made mistakes, but they also saved my life repeatedly. I guess I have learned you have to be your own advocate, you have to read, and be informed. You cannot expect doctors to be immortal gods, but recognize that they have knowledge which can help you, but you must always be vigilant. You must always be your own advocate, and understand the limits of man. It is foolish to walk away from knowledge, but it is equally foolish to always take it at face value. There are objective and scientific cures and solutions, but the path to find those are often a long journey with many wrong turns.......you do not stop the journey because it is not perfect......you simply move forward.

There is nothing like someone who has been there. People need to remember, "all medical schools are not alike and not all doctors have had the same educational experience." It's also worth remembering that 50% of the doctors in this country, graduated in the bottom half of their class.

You know what they say seaoat. hindsight is 20/20

its a real bad feeling to find out later wish I had tried this treatment or done that, or why didnt I think of that. Ive watched these docs try and diagnose complicated cases. A pathologist is who diagnosis most cancers. there are multiple kinds of lung cancers as with any cancers, the type will determine the treatment. and the cells dont always present themselves in a clear way. science has come a long way just in the last 10 years. with the use of tumor cell markers such as immunohistochemistry and flow cytometry, these are great tools in figuring out these complicated cancers. Now we have genetics testing for further tumor cell marking, insitu hybridization. Im sure youve had all these test done on you as of now.

and when I think about your situation. I have a great deal of sympathaty for you, even though you make me mad as hell. I wish you all the best. I have to wonder about your treatment because I know there are some antibody directed treatments out there. I dont know which pathology group your doctor is working with, but I know them all there and i know that some of them are better than others. so if you ever want another opinion I can probaly get your slides looked at but youll have to privatly message me. best of luck to you.. really. i mean that...hugs

2seaoat

What fun would these forums be if someone was not mad at me. We all come into this world with an expiration date. None of us are exempt from that reality. I have more information than most on that date, but I will not abandon doctors because they are not perfect. I will not abandon knowledge because it can be wrong at times. I got my ninth shot and when I first found the tumors on the liver.....well I certainly did not think I would see the fall, and now I am confident I will see the winter and maybe more.....life is very good, and doubling my 30mg shots may give me more time.....and yes the side effects are tiring, but when I visit NW once a month and see so many people suffering......I am the luckiest person in the world, and when I tell the infusion nurse how unfair it is that I have insurance which allows me to get these shots and others do not........she tells me Seaoat you say this every time, and then she says quietly.......it sometimes is so unfair.....and so sad.

You get mad at me because as a lifetime Republican, I am now questioning things I took for granted......I lived in a perfect world of health and wealth, as I sped through life immune from observation of our collective condition........when I see these beautiful young girls with their family gathered around, mothers grandmothers, fathers, and yes lonely and isolated people facing their final months alone and in pain.......I listen to people crying...spouses talking about sacrifice where they cannot pay their bills, and how their husband cannot breath, and how they are taking half the prescribed medicine as she watches her loved one suffer and die. We can and must do better. I am tired of people talking about people's suffering and medical needs as if they were just talking about numbers. It is about priorities. I have new priorities and believe America must be first concerned about America and our citizens......I have awakened from my slumber. I will no longer tolerate lies and propoganda. We will take our country back, and I hope I can live long enough to see people getting the medications they need and our priorities become our citizens.....not how we can make it easier for people to steal our country.

2seaoat wrote:What fun would these forums be if someone was not mad at me. We all come into this world with an expiration date. None of us are exempt from that reality. I have more information than most on that date, but I will not abandon doctors because they are not perfect. I will not abandon knowledge because it can be wrong at times. I got my ninth shot and when I first found the tumors on the liver.....well I certainly did not think I would see the fall, and now I am confident I will see the winter and maybe more.....life is very good, and doubling my 30mg shots may give me more time.....and yes the side effects are tiring, but when I visit NW once a month and see so many people suffering......I am the luckiest person in the world, and when I tell the infusion nurse how unfair it is that I have insurance which allows me to get these shots and others do not........she tells me Seaoat you say this every time, and then she says quietly.......it sometimes is so unfair.....and so sad.

You get mad at me because as a lifetime Republican, I am now questioning things I took for granted......I lived in a perfect world of health and wealth, as I sped through life immune from observation of our collective condition........when I see these beautiful young girls with their family gathered around, mothers grandmothers, fathers, and yes lonely and isolated people facing their final months alone and in pain.......I listen to people crying...spouses talking about sacrifice where they cannot pay their bills, and how their husband cannot breath, and how they are taking half the prescribed medicine as she watches her loved one suffer and die. We can and must do better. I am tired of people talking about people's suffering and medical needs as if they were just talking about numbers. It is about priorities. I have new priorities and believe America must be first concerned about America and our citizens......I have awakened from my slumber. I will no longer tolerate lies and propoganda. We will take our country back, and I hope I can live long enough to see people getting the medications they need and our priorities become our citizens.....not how we can make it easier for people to steal our country.

your condition has made you think that lifes supposed to be fair for everyone. you want to manipulate the system and take form some to give to others to create what you think is fair and equal. that is not what this country is. this country is about providing the opertunity for all to get what they need. everyone has that same chance. but the outcome is not garenteed to be equal for all. thats called "utopia".

but I understand your premis, its much like most atheist calling to god in thier last days.

Yes, I understand. We all want a perfect world. You are not alone in that want. Its how to get the most bang for our tax dollars that is whats really up for debate. and you and I disagree on what that is.

Sal

Sal

Rogue wrote:
your condition has made you think that lifes supposed to be fair for everyone. you want to manipulate the system and take form some to give to others to create what you think is fair and equal. that is not what this country is. this country is about providing the opertunity for all to get what they need. everyone has that same chance. but the outcome is not garenteed to be equal for all. thats called "utopia".

but I understand your premis, its much like most atheist calling to god in thier last days.

Yes, I understand. We all want a perfect world. You are not alone in that want. Its how to get the most bang for our tax dollars that is whats really up for debate. and you and I disagree on what that is.

Then, by all means, keep your son away from the VA Hospital because, you know ...

... socialism.

salinsky wrote:
Rogue wrote:

Then, by all means, keep your son away from the VA Hospital because, you know ...

... socialism.

My son risk his life for this country. He will be going to the VA hospital.

I dont call that socialism.

and you can GO FUCK YOURSELF!

Sal

Sal

Rogue wrote:

My son risk his life for this country. He will be going to the VA hospital.

I dont call that socialism.

and you can GO FUCK YOURSELF!

My goodness Chrissy, settle down.

I salute your son's service and fully support his participation in the VA's excellent socialized medicine program.

Best of luck to both of you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum