Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I never knew this about the military...

+2
2seaoat
KarlRove
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

With all the information flowing about jobs, I wondered if servicemen/women are counted.

According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, they are not.

Interesting.

"Who is not in the labor force?
Persons not in the labor force are those who are not classified as employed or unemployed during the survey reference week.

Labor force measures are based on the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years old and over. (Excluded are persons under 16 years of age, all persons confined to institutions such as nursing homes and prisons, and persons on active duty in the Armed Forces.) The labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. The remainder—those who have no job and are not looking for one—are counted as "not in the labor force." Many who are not in the labor force are going to school or are retired. Family responsibilities keep others out of the labor force."

They pay Federal taxes and into Medicare.

Boards might know the answer. Just curious.

KarlRove

KarlRove

SheWrites wrote:With all the information flowing about jobs, I wondered if servicemen/women are counted.  

According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, they are not.

Interesting.

"Who is not in the labor force?
Persons not in the labor force are those who are not classified as employed or unemployed during the survey reference week.

Labor force measures are based on the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years old and over. (Excluded are persons under 16 years of age, all persons confined to institutions such as nursing homes and prisons, and persons on active duty in the Armed Forces.) The labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. The remainder—those who have no job and are not looking for one—are counted as "not in the labor force." Many who are not in the labor force are going to school or are retired. Family responsibilities keep others out of the labor force."

They pay Federal taxes and into Medicare.

Boards might know the answer.    Just curious.

It's always been that way. Learned that in Economics in high school. It's how the Dems hide the high unemployment rate.

2seaoat

Active Duty Military are not economically productive. They represent a black hole. Economist measure the economy with different tools , they do not measure black holes, and leave that for astronomers.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Our congressional district is one of the worst examples of how the private economy is now so dependent on government spending.
This district's economic well-being and so many of it's jobs directly/indirectly derive from the borrowed federal dollars which flow into the local military installations.  Without it,  the economy in this district would be dramatically different.

Still makes no sense to me, whatsoever.  Service personnel are tax paying citizens.  Why is the job not counted???

2seaoat

Still makes no sense to me, whatsoever. Service personnel are tax paying citizens. Why is the job not counted???

I do not know how the stats are used or if in fact they are not included, but it makes sense. 38k military in Korea for over fifty years represents one of those many black holes which economist in South Korea may use indicators which account for the spending and demand generated by our military. We have over a 160k unproductive government pay check dependent personnel assigned to other countries who have ZERO economic impact on our GDP. This black hole has caused this nation to go deeply in debt and is not sustainable. People think it is political to say the military is an unproductive asset, but an economist will tell you that the science of economics concludes the same. Much like a country which invests in high end consumer goods and condos on beaches compared to a nation which invests in capital goods and job training.....one grows the economy and one adversely impacts the economy. The Military is a necessary economic black hole which should be reduced to bare bones as we pay down our debt and grow the economy.

Markle

Markle

SheWrites wrote:Still makes no sense to me, whatsoever.  Service personnel are tax paying citizens.  Why is the job not counted???

Where do the taxes they pay come from?

Markle wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Still makes no sense to me, whatsoever.  Service personnel are tax paying citizens.  Why is the job not counted???

The same place someone who works for a state or the federal government.

So?

We're talking about a job. They are doing a job. Being paid. Buying goods and services with their pay.

Why is the job not counted?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

So?

We're talking about a job.  They are doing a job.  Being paid.  Buying goods and services with their pay.  

cheers

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The military is employed by the government. Those jobs get counted in the public sector, not the private sector.

Floridatexan wrote:
The military is employed by the government.  Those jobs get counted in the public sector, not the private sector.  

Civil Service positions are also paid by the government.  According to BLS that I posted in the OP, civil service positions are not mentioned as one that is not counted.

Still wondering....

Servicemen/woman are enlisted or commissioned to serve. They are not employed. Maybe that is the difference??????????

Answering my own question. Don't know if that is correct or not.

2seaoat

Labor force measures are based on the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years old and over. (Excluded are persons under 16 years of age, all persons confined to institutions such as nursing homes and prisons, and persons on active duty in the Armed Forces.) The labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. The remainder—those who have no job and are not looking for one—are counted as "not in the labor force." Many who are not in the labor force are going to school or are retired. Family responsibilities keep others out of the labor force.

The military economically is completely unproductive and over 160k of those folks are not even in the United States. Economist develop economic tools which measure scientifically economic indicators.......WHICH IMPACT GDP AND THE AMERICAN ECONOMY. Measuring unproductive assets which are mostly not in America are not a good index.

Markle

Markle

SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

So?

We're talking about a job.  They are doing a job.  Being paid.  Buying goods and services with their pay.  

They are being paid by another tax payer. Then the government collects a salary...and pay taxes with tax payer money.

2seaoat wrote:Labor force measures are based on the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years old and over. (Excluded are persons under 16 years of age, all persons confined to institutions such as nursing homes and prisons, and persons on active duty in the Armed Forces.) The labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. The remainder—those who have no job and are not looking for one—are counted as "not in the labor force." Many who are not in the labor force are going to school or are retired. Family responsibilities keep others out of the labor force.

The military economically is completely unproductive and over 160k of those folks are not even in the United States.  Economist develop economic tools which measure scientifically economic indicators.......WHICH IMPACT GDP AND THE AMERICAN ECONOMY.  Measuring unproductive assets which are mostly not in America are not a good index.

Well, let me just say that probably the best steward of government money would be the American Service member. Buying/selling homes every three years, buying automobiles, bringing the "power" of the dollar to the small business owners in the towns where the base/posts are located. Yep, much better job than the waste found coming out of Washington.

Go take a nap, Seaoat. It's a hard job you have being so illuminated and gifted.

2seaoat

They are being paid by another tax payer. Then the government collects a salary...and pay taxes with tax payer money.

Damn.....Mr. Markle is sounding like a real Republican.

2seaoat

Go take a nap, Seaoat. It's a hard job you have being so illuminated and gifted.

If the lights are out.......a small candle can be illuminating, or conversely if the darkness is ignorance it becomes a very bright light. No nap needed......going on 10 years on the PNJ and here irritating people with my modesty.....it is a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

KarlRove

KarlRove

I never knew this about the military... 291418

2seaoat wrote:Active Duty Military are not economically productive. They represent a black hole.  Economist measure the economy with different tools , they do not measure black holes, and leave that for astronomers.  

Til we get attacked huh asshole?

God and Soldier all men adore,
in times of danger not before,
when the danger is past and all things righted,
God is forgotten and the old Soldier smighted

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum