Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Studers Business challenge seems to be AWOL

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

According to all the glowing reports in the PNJ and on Studers website. this should have been open by June 1 st. I wonder why no updates?
Maybe it is there and I just can not see it?

Josephs prevails in Studers’ Pensacola Business Challenge

Mari Josephs accepts a key to her new business location after being chosen the winner of the Pensacola Business Challenge. Sharing the moment is Andrew Rothfeder, who served as volunteer director and coordinator of the Challenge. Keely McKissack/Gulf Breeze News
From special reports

Mari Josephs, an area restaurant manager and chef who has excelled in several downtown Pensacola establishments, was chosen the winner of the Pensacola Business Challenge sponsored by Quint and Rishy Studer.

Josephs’ idea for Carmen’s Lunch Bar was the winning business plan selected from more than 100 submissions. She will receive a year of free rent, two more years of reduced rent, a $25,000 build-out package and a host of business experts to assist her in starting her new business at the corner of Main Street and South Palafox.

Carmen’s Lunch Bar will offer fresh, flavorful food with an eclectic blend of Southern and International fare with Spanish, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Thai, and Moroccan and Indian influences. In the evening, it will be a wine and tapas bar.

Josephs’ winning submission came after two rounds of cuts and an intensive, in-person interview with seven local business leaders who served as judges. She will bring her considerable culinary skill, restaurant management talent, and customer-service oriented approach to her own unique concept on Palafox Street.

The Pensacola Business Challenge was the brainchild of the Studers, who had an empty space in one of their downtown redevelopment properties and decided to host a competition to fill the spot.

“Quint and I had no idea just how big of a success the contest would be,” Rishy Studer said.

The contest, announced in December, attracted more than 100 applicants, each of whom participated in intensive business planning training conducted by the UWF Small Business Development Center. Those seminars attracted entrepreneurs and business owners from across the region and were focused on the aspects of creating a business plan, such as product and service description, market research, and financial modeling.

Of the 111 applicants, 31 entrepreneurs submitted a fullfledged business plan, which required a full description of the proposed business, a market analysis, financial projections, and proof of six months’ operating capital, to cover things like payroll and inventory.

“The great thing about this contest is, although there is only one winner, we now have dozens of entrepreneurs out there who have a business plan with solid feedback who can use that feedback to refine and improve their business ideas and ultimately be better prepared to succeed when they launch their business,” contest administrator Sara Rothfeder said.

Josephs expressed her gratitude to the Studers for the contest.

“I thank Quint and Rishy Studer for this amazing opportunity and for their generosity,” she said. “They are two people who are making things happen in Pensacola. I am so grateful for their support in this new venture.”

Rishy Studer noted that several applicants and contestants sent the Studers inspiring notes of appreciation and optimism.

“We’ve received some really touching letters from people who have said how much they have learned, how much better they will be when they start their business, and some have even gone ahead and started their businesses, with the help of the training and feedback from the contest,” she said.

“Everyone from the applicants to the community to the judges who did such a great job in their deliberating and choosing a winner has been so supportive. It’s exciting to be a part of something so positive in the community.”

The business plan trainings were conducted by Larry Strain at the UWF Small Business Development Center, which assists small businesses in starting and executing their business plans.

The other judges included John Myslak, Rus Howard, Caron Sjoberg, John Peacock, Robert Hill, Richard Hawkins Ph.D., and Andrew Rothfeder.

From the Pensacola Business challenge web site.

March 8, 2012 – Round 2 Applicants to present plans in person to Judging Panel

March 15, 2012 – Grand Prize Winner Announced

March 16 – May 31, 2012 – Space designed, built-out, furnished and equipped

June 1, 2012 – Open for business

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Somebody might be about due for a restraining order from studerville.

"According to all the glowing reports in the PNJ and on Studers website. this should have been open by June 1 st. I wonder why no updates?
Maybe it is there and I just can not see it?"

You know them damn fools at the Pensacola News Journal aint going to diss the Studers period. Opposing Studer would cost em some full page ads.

Looks like Carmen's Lunch Bar will open soon: https://www.facebook.com/CarmensLunchBar

Carmen's Lunch Bar
August 24
Carmen's Lunch Bar is hiring! We are looking for hostesses, servers, bartenders, and cooks with prior experience in the restaurant industry for day and evening shifts. Please email your resume and 3 references to info@carmenslunchbar.com
Let the hiring begin!

Ghandi, Oh never mind.

I dont understand hallmarks obcession with studer?

Hallmark, why are you so obcessed with this man?

2seaoat

He is not from Pensacola and he is wealthy. Some see him as a carpetbagger........and no matter how much good he creates......he will be a foreigner. It really is that simple, and it is more than a few people on this or the PNJ forum who look at anybody whose family is not from Pensacola. My family in 1857 was 150 miles from here as the crow flies......but I do not live in Pensacola.....I am a foreigner. Yep, and Pensacola during the 40s took in a lot of folks grandparents with open arms, but today the look at the Studers as foreigners.......you know go back from where you came. It really is that simple.

LOL Another psychoanalytic observation into the minds of others by Mr Oats. Next question Please. The doctor is in.....

2seaoat

But sadly the doctor does not have a cure........where an afflicted person could simply judge a man by his good deeds, not from where he was born, or how much money he now has..........I guess I am not a very good doctor.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I didn't realize that she had won the competition. That's great! She's the daughter of a good friend, Julie DeMarko, who also happens to NW Florida's poet laureate. These ladies are skilled chefs.

"He is not from Pensacola and he is wealthy. Some see him as a carpetbagger........and no matter how much good he creates......he will be a foreigner."

Now you know that aint true. The two major gripes are the:

Cost- Longterm 100 million service debt the taxpayers will pay.

Vote- The voters voted for a bunch of amenities re what the park would become. The voters were led to believe they were getting more than just a stadium & amp theater. The voters did not get what they voted for. They were hoodwinked into believing the lies Studer & friends said the public would get.

If we use Seaoats analogy, then obviously Seaoat is a foreigner as well and a troll, as he does NOT live in Escambia County, Nor has he attended any Wahoo games or supported the park except in talk only.

Mr Oats sometimes you really dont have a clue.Yep, and Pensacola during the 40s took in a lot of folks grandparents with open arms, but today the look at the Studers as foreigners

One day, a couple of years after the war. Things were picking up. Dad had made it back from the Army and had a Job at the Navy Yard. I guess I was about 5 or 6. There was to be a big event and Mom wanted to go but she needed a new dress. So she goes down town to Ritas dress store. Guess what? They will not wait on her. They told her there was nothing in her size and to go somewhere else. I guess she was just a south Florida cracker. My Mother came home in tears and it bothered her for a long time. Pensacola Hospitality my ass. There are many other stories but you already know them........ Maybe that where my inferiority complex that you speak of so often comes from...

I ask the question why a Studer Project is almost 4 month behind schedule and you would have thought I pissed on the floor of a Church. "Are you crazy?" "Do you have some mental issues?" LOL "You hate me because I am so beautiful and I am not from here""

hallmarkgrad wrote:I ask the question why a Studer Project is almost 4 month behind schedule and you would have thought I pissed on the floor of a Church. "Are you crazy?" "Do you have some mental issues?" LOL "You hate me because I am so beautiful and I am not from here""

Im not trying to give you a hard time. I dont think your mental. I feel erally bad about that story you just told about your mom. That angers me.

I know the downtown area got stuck with having to pay for a portion of the park and I was against that when I lived there. The city just doesnt even then have money like that for those types of things. im very conservative and boring when it comes to that stuff.

I was only curious because I see a lot of post about him from you.

Short answer. I am a recovering Alcoholic. Mr Studer is a self professed recovering Alcoholic. Mr Studer sells and profits from the sale of alcohol. Hence a personal disdain for Mr Studer. It is just my personal conviction. Illogical, irrational, stupid, so be it,

hallmarkgrad wrote:Short answer. I am a recovering Alcoholic. Mr Studer is a self professed recovering Alcoholic. Mr Studer sells and profits from the sale of alcohol. Hence a personal disdain for Mr Studer. It is just my personal conviction. Illogical, irrational, stupid, so be it,

Thank you. I know that was hard to say.

I respect you for your honesty Smile

Sal

Sal

hallmarkgrad wrote:Short answer. I am a recovering Alcoholic. Mr Studer is a self professed recovering Alcoholic. Mr Studer sells and profits from the sale of alcohol. Hence a personal disdain for Mr Studer. It is just my personal conviction. Illogical, irrational, stupid, so be it,

I'm not in AA, although I'm very close to someone who is. Wouldn't what you describe be classified as taking another person's inventory?

Just an honest question, not meant as a criticism.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/09/stadiums-are-a-bad-investment.html

salinsky wrote:

I'm not in AA, although I'm very close to someone who is. Wouldn't what you describe be classified as taking another person's inventory?

Just an honest question, not meant as a criticism.
Maybe. That is why I choose not to discuss it. I am anonymous. He isn't. Someone asked why I did not care for Mr Studer. That is my answer,

Being that Mr Studer is a recovering alcoholic, Wouldn't it be a tempting strain to be surrounded by all that alcohol at the stadium? I'm not trying to pick on the guy but my thinking is, he knows better and yet still hangs around boozers. It could be, he still drinks alcohol. Who knows.

I doubt if he drinks. I have worked around Alcohol my self. I have not sold or bought it in the last 30 years. . I respect it and I know what it will lead to if I drink. I do not care if others drink. I still attend parties and enjoy the company of those who still imbibe. It is something that I choose not to do. Day by day. So far my program has worked. I will have 30 years 6 months in a day or so. I truly wish Mr Studer no harm. I know Bar tenders who are recovering Alcoholics. What he does in public is his business. The fact that I do not like it, is mine. But he is under no obligation to give a shit what I think. And I am sure he doesn't...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum