Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time to get a drink of whiskey and listen to the blues the way only Duane can render it.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is the quintessential "muscle shoals sound". Duane and Boz accompanied by the Swampers (the Muscle Shoals studio band)

Dcat

Dcat

Good stuff. Never knew those two played together. But then Duane played with a lot of folks, he was awesome.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dcat wrote:Good stuff. Never knew those two played together. But then Duane played with a lot of folks, he was awesome.

Glad you enjoyed it, Dcat. I'm an Allman fanboy. "Southbound" is my phone ringtone. lol

polecat

polecat

Got any Makers Mark ?
no problem Ill bring my own

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

polecat wrote:

Got any Makers Mark ?
no problem Ill bring my own

Just curious, did you realize when you posted this that it's Duane Allman you're hearing do the slide guitar work on this recording?

polecat

polecat

Oh yes
Love me some Allman Bros.
and that Muscle Shoals Sound.
Have you seen the Muscle Shoals movie?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

polecat wrote:
Have you seen the Muscle Shoals movie?

Sure did.  I wanted to see it from the day it was released to theaters.  But Pensacola didn't get the indie movies back then. And redbox didn't get the dvd release. So I had to wait quite a long time till PBS showed it on Independent Lens.

btw, now we do have an indie theater in Gulf Breeze though.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Are you from this area,  polecat?  Are you aware of the connection Duane and Gregg Allman have to Pensacola?

polecat

polecat

Yes I am a endangered species, born and raised in P-cola... and a Libertard.

polecat

polecat

Oh yea
I knew of it before hand about the Bro's connection to Pensacola but it was cool to read about it in Gregg's book My Cross to Bear.

How about you Bob, Pensacola boy?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

polecat wrote:Oh yea
I knew of it before hand about the Bro's connection to Pensacola but it was cool to read about it in Gregg's book My Cross to Bear.

How about you Bob, Pensacola boy?

Afraid I'm a johnny come lately.  Didn't get here till I was 6 years old.

When Duane and Greg became the Allman Joys,  their first gig away from home in Daytona was in Mobile in 1965.  They played a long stint at the Stork Club there.
In 1966 they drifted over to our area.  Got a job as the house band at the Sahara Club on Barrancas Ave.
That's when they connected up with the local singing trio The Sandpipers (the Kilpatrick sisters and Sally Hurst).  
After the Sandpipers did a show at the Municipal Auditorium,  a local DJ and promoter hooked them up with a gig at the Sahara Club where the Allman Joys were already working as the house band.  The Allmans lived with the Kilpatricks at their parents' home during this time. And when the Sandpipers were later invited to make a record in New York,  the Allman Joys went along with them.  But the record producer wasn't interested in the Allmans.
During their time in Pensacola,  the Allman Joys played many dates at a local teenage hangout called The Place at Pensacola Beach.
That part is now pretty well known to local music buffs.

What is not very well known is the Allmans also played the Spanish Village at Pensacola Beach.  And during one of those gigs they were on the bill with The 5 Menits and that gig at P'Cola Beach is the first time the Allmans and the 5 Menits meet each other.

Time to get a drink of whiskey and listen to the blues the way only Duane can render it. Allman10

One of the principle musicians in The 5 Menits was Johnny Sandlin.
Sandlin had already (in 1964) worked as session musician at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals.  AND,  Sandlin would go on to be a record producer at Capricorn Records in Macon and produce albums for the yet to be formed Allman Brothers Band.
When that gig ended at The Spanish Village,  the Allman Joys decided to merge with The 5-Menits to become The Hourglass.  Two other members of The Hourglass,  Roger Hornsby and Pete Carr,  would also later become session musicians at FAME Studios.
Duane Allman's now legendary association with Muscle Shoals and FAME studios happened only because of meeting those musicians at that gig at Pensacola Beach.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"Melissa" is one of Gregg Allman's most successful songs.  It was also his brother Duane's favorite of all of Gregg's compositions.  Although it was never recorded until shortly after Duane died (and was played at his funeral).
It too has it's origins in Pensacola.  
From wiki...

"Melissa" originated long before it was recorded by the Allman Brothers; the song dates to late 1967, when Gregg Allman penned the song on his brother Duane's guitar.[1] He had previously struggled to create any songs with substance, and "Melissa" was among the first that survived after he tossed nearly 300 attempts to write a song he deemed good enough. Staying in a room at the Evergreen Motel in Pensacola, Florida, he picked up Duane's guitar (tuned to open E) and immediately felt inspired by the natural tuning.[1] Words came naturally, but he stumbled on the name of the love interest. The song's namesake was almost settled as Delilah before Melissa came to Allman at, of all places, a grocery store where he was buying milk late one night, as he told the story in his memoir, My Cross to Bear:

It was my turn to get the coffee and juice for everyone, and I went to this twenty-four-hour grocery store, one of the few in town. There were two people at the cash registers, but only one other customer besides myself. She was an older Spanish lady, wearing the colorful shawls, with her hair all stacked up on her head. And she had what seemed to be her granddaughter with her, who was at the age when kids discover they have legs that will run. She was jumping and dancing; she looked like a little puppet. I went around getting my stuff, and at one point she was the next aisle over, and I heard her little feet run all the way down the aisle. And the woman said, "No, wait, Melissa. Come back—don’t run away, Melissa!" I went, "Sweet Melissa." I could've gone over there and kissed that woman. As a matter of fact, we came down and met each other at the end of the aisle, and I looked at her and said, "Thank you so much." She probably went straight home and said, "I met a crazy man at the fucking grocery."[2]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum