Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The war in Iraq is over, so how many did we leave behind

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This turned out to be better than I thought. With the increased use of contractors for everything from guarding the embassy to peeling potatoes I thought the numbers would be higher. This was a pleasant surprise.

The final convoy of U.S. troops in Iraq — soldiers from Fort Hood — drove over the border to Kuwait last week, whooping and cheering, as the United States declared an end to the war.
But remaining behind are thousands of civilian contractors — about half of them armed.
State Department officials have said they expect that 5,000 security contractors will be needed in Iraq next year to protect U.S. diplomats.
A “life support” team of an additional 4,500 contractors will cook, clean and provide transportation and other services.
Their continued presence in Iraq — as well as in Afghanistan, where there is almost one contractor for every service member — demonstrates how much the U.S. government has come to rely on private companies to provide “war services” abroad.
In Afghanistan, 105,000 U.S. troops are supported by about 101,000 civilian contractors.
Only 23,000 of those contractors are U.S. citizens. About 50,000 are Afghans, and 27,900 come from other countries.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Soldiers-gone-but-contractors-remain-in-Iraq-2426228.php#ixzz25tvaoQLV

so youre a proponent of contractors?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Rogue wrote:so youre a proponent of contractors?

No, not really although my view of them has changed some over time.
Even though they get paid more than our regular military they cost less in the long run because their corporations pay for their medical needs and retirement if any.
What I don't like is that they give the president his or her own private military that he/she can deploy without an act of congress, not that that's been much of an impediment to sending troops here and there.

What surprised me after reading this article is that I expected there to be tens of thousands of them left in Iraq so the remaining number was encouraging.

othershoe1030 wrote:
Rogue wrote:so youre a proponent of contractors?

No, not really although my view of them has changed some over time.
Even though they get paid more than our regular military they cost less in the long run because their corporations pay for their medical needs and retirement if any.
What I don't like is that they give the president his or her own private military that he/she can deploy without an act of congress, not that that's been much of an impediment to sending troops here and there.

What surprised me after reading this article is that I expected there to be tens of thousands of them left in Iraq so the remaining number was encouraging.

would you be angry if it was 10,000 troops there instead of the 10,000 militias?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum