Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why I love garage sales

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Why I love garage sales Empty Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 6:14 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I would never in a million years pay the $149 retail price for this thing.
I bought mine brand new in the box at a yard sale Saturday for eight bucks.
Christian Garman eat your heart out.  

http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-16894.html

Why I love garage sales Accuri12

Why I love garage sales Accuri13

2Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 7:50 am

Sal

Sal

Looks like a weather toilet, and you have poor aim.

3Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 8:11 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Looks like a weather toilet, and you have poor aim.

I'll excuse that remark because I know you're just envious and wish you coulda got a weather toilet for 8 bucks too.  lol

4Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 8:46 am

2seaoat

I saved eight bucks......I have weather on my computer. My daughter has the garage sale bug, and talks all the time about what she saved, but all I see is stuff collecting in her basement.......my wife and I could never figure out how she became such a fanatic on garage sales because neither of us ever went to any. Finally, we realized her grandmother is a garage sale fanatic and it skipped a generation. Grandma once got a pool liner at a garage sale thinking she had got this great deal on a swimming pool. I never laughed so hard as she started filling the liner and as it got to the one foot level a side of the liner would fold over and she would frantically run over and pull the liner up until the other side folded spilling water.....and so it went for an hour because she would not give up on her "deal".

5Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 9:09 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Let me tell you about my best garage sale purchase ever.

It happened not long before the advent of eBay.  Today it wouldn't happen
because of eBay.

It was late on Saturday morning.  I had already gone to the yard sales in my usual yard sale territory.  But I kept remembering the classified ad that mentioned a jukebox.  So I decided to go to a yard sale on Green St.  For those not familiar with Green St.,  it's in one of the poorest areas of Brownsville south of Cervantes.
When I got there,  the driveway was filled with a long line of tables with all manner of junk on them.  But I walked past that looking for the jukebox.  Finally spotted it under the carport.  It was a piece of worthless crap like I had expected and I was cussing myself for even going to a sale on Green St.
This was a 3 day sale (Thursday through Saturday) and I spotted a sign on the wall saying all merchandise on Saturday was 1/2 off the price sticker.

And on the way back to the car I glanced at the merchandise on the tables and noticed a ziplock bag with the words "leica" and "$8" written on it with a red felt tip pin.
Inside the bag was one of these with a lens attached and two extra lenses,  also Leica.  All of it in beautiful condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_M2

I picked up the bag and walked over to the old boy conducting the sale and asked "so is this now $4?".
For as long as I live I will never forget his exact response: "yea,  everybody used to want one of them Likers".

I sold the contents of the bag for about $1500 at a camera show in B'ham.
What that poor old soul didn't know was "everybody STILL wants one of them Likers".  lol

Today the old boy would price it using eBay in about 30 seconds time.  That's why it will never happen again.  Those were the good old days.

6Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 10:15 am

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:

I'll excuse that remark because I know you're just envious and wish you coulda got a weather toilet for 8 bucks too.  lol

If I piss off the back porch would that be a weather toilet?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

7Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 10:29 am

dumpcare

Yella wrote:
Bob wrote:

Yes, hold out a thermometer and let piss flow over it and notice the wind direction, you got it.

8Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 11:36 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:

Actually you'd be pissing INTO the weather toilet because it's mounted right in front of the porch across from the glider where you usually sit. lol

p.s. come take a look at this thing. It's gnarly.

9Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 5:29 pm

dumpcare

Was that Yella pissing off your porch the other day on my way by?

10Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 5:30 pm

2seaoat

Silly question......but do they still sell film?

11Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 5:31 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ppaca wrote:Was that Yella pissing off your porch the other day on my way by?

No that was my biker neighbor. The one with no job and no visible means of support. lol

12Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 5:32 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Silly question......but do they still sell film?

35mm film is still obtainable. But some of the other formats are in very short supply if any.

13Why I love garage sales Empty Re: Why I love garage sales 4/13/2015, 5:34 pm

dumpcare

Bob wrote:
ppaca wrote:Was that Yella pissing off your porch the other day on my way by?

No that was my biker neighbor.  The one with no job and no visible means of support.  lol

I bet he show's up around dinner time lol.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum