Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

President Obama wants to reverse Citizens United

+3
gatorfan
KarlRove
boards of FL
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/02/09/president-obama-wants-to-reverse-citizens-united/

bin Laden is dead. Healthcare has expanded to a greater % of the population and prices gains are slowing or in some cases even falling. Over 7 million private sector jobs have been created. Relations with Cuba are normalizing. Immigration has been addressed. The annual deficit is plummeting. The FCC has approved net neutrality. And now the president is calling for the reversal of Citizens United.

I'm telling you, tack on "federal legalization of marijuana" and this will be a major historic presidency we are living through.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

President Obama is calling for a constitutional amendment to reduce the money flowing through American politics.

“I would love to see some constitutional process that would allow us to actually regulate campaign spending the way we used to, and maybe even improve it,” the president said during an interview with Vox published Monday.

Obama’s remarks are the latest to call for a radical shift in campaign finance law after several federal court rulings, including the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United decision, paved the way for unlimited corporate and union spending in candidate elections.

Later this week, Rep. Jerry McNerney, D-Calif., will join the ranks of politicians pushing for change when he introduces his proposal to amend the Constitution. His plan is dramatic. It would ban contributions from political action committees, for instance. Campaigns would be funded entirely by individual donations or money provided by a public-financing system.

McNerney said radical change is needed. “The system was pretty bad before,” he said. “Citizens United just made it worse. It changed from an arms race to a nuclear-arms race.”

Outside spending in politics soared to more than $1 billion in the 2012 presidential and congressional elections, up from nearly $340 million four years earlier, according to a tally by the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics. In last year’s midterm races for the House and Senate, outside groups outspent the candidates themselves in 28 races, the center found.

In all, 16 states have called for a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United.

Despite the high-profile calls for change, efforts to restrict campaign finance spending have failed to gain any traction in Congress. If anything, Congress and the courts are continuing to ease restrictions. Last year, Obama signed into law a $1 trillion spending bill that dramatically increased the amount of money political parties can raise from individual donors.

Last edited by boards of FL on 3/4/2015, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

KarlRove

KarlRove

Can we start with all the foreign
Money given to Hillary Clinton?

boards of FL

boards of FL

KarlRove wrote:Can we start with all the foreign

So then you agree with Obama? Citizens United should be overturned and constraints to political campaign spending should return?

gatorfan

It's past time for finance reform. Of course Obama no longer has a horse in this race after spending about $1.7 Billion on his two campaigns but better late than never.

Why in the hell should it cost almost a billion $$ to get elected as President? These guys are buying the Presidency, or I should say their puppeteers are buying.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:It's past time for finance reform. Of course Obama no longer has a horse in this race after spending about $1.7 Billion on his two campaigns but better late than never.

Why in the hell should it cost almost a billion $$ to get elected as President? These guys are buying the Presidency, or I should say their puppeteers are buying.

The issue is dark, outside money. Even if Citizens United is overturned, candidates will still be able to raise money on their own. If Citizens United were to be reversed, that would put an end to outside spending which we have no clue where it comes from, and which increasingly is comprising a greater and greater percentage of overall campaign spending. That's bad.

2seaoat

Citizens United will not be quickly overturned. There are provisions within the decision which could allow challenges as to the public corruption exception of Citizen United. Congress was given the power to regulate elections and the Supreme Court being incredibly naive as to the corrupting influence of vast amounts of money coming into campaigns from secret or dark sources is prima facia corruption. Congress could frame legislation within Citizens public corruption exception which could bring common sense election financing reform......but that would assume a normal functional Congress....an absurd proposition. It will be sadly much longer to get Citizens negative impact reversed.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/01/21/bernie-sanders-files-constitutional-amendment-overturn-citizens-united.html

Sen. Bernie Sanders in January refiled his proposal to overturn Citizens United through an act of Congress.

Markle

Markle

Why would semi-retired President Obama want it overturned? He's the one who benefited most.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

boards of FL wrote:

So then you agree with Obama?  Citizens United should be overturned and constraints to political campaign spending should return?

Poor War Hero, caught in his own trap again .... LOL

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:Why would semi-retired President Obama want it overturned?  He's the one who benefited most.

You have that backwards.  Republicans overwhelmingly receive the lions share of outside spending.  The majority spent on the next republican presidential campaign will be from outside spending.

2012 Presidential Election

Obama Outside Spending: $131,303,352

Romney Outside Spending: $418,635,080

So I guess my question to you is, Markle, how on earth do you arrive at the conclusion that Obama benefits from outside spending the most when, in reality, Romney's outside spending dwarfed that of Obama?

President Obama wants to reverse Citizens United 200_s

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:Why would semi-retired President Obama want it overturned?  He's the one who benefited most.

If the game is to be played with terrible rules, then you play it that way.  Doesn't mean you like it that way -- which, although it must strain Semi-sane "I know NOSSING' Markle's ability to think so deeply -- is the point of Boards of Florida's thread showing Obama strongly opposing Citizens United.

Maybe it's my faith in the goodness of people, but I've a hunch most of the soul-sellers in congress resent playing the game they're forced to play due to the horrors of corporate campaign financing.  I could be wrong.  No doubt Semi Sane Markle hopes I am!

Fascism should more appropriately be called corporatism, because it is a merger of state and corporate power.  Benito Mussolini

Markle

Markle

Boards of FL, what is "outside" spending?

Which candidate, at the last minute, refused matching funds, in the 2008 election?

Which candidate outspent the other by a two to one margin?

How much did each spend in that election?

Since those changes were made, how much is estimated each candidate must raise for 2016?

You know the answers so posting them will be a snap. Unless you're embarrassed to post the truth.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Wordslinger wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

So then you agree with Obama?  Citizens United should be overturned and constraints to political campaign spending should return?

Poor War Hero, caught in his own trap again .... LOL

not a trap...if BOF is being honest it needs to start with the dark money queen

Markle

Markle

Yo...BoardsofFL, WAITING for your answers. You may ask your friends for help.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:Boards of FL, what is "outside" spending?

Which candidate, at the last minute, refused matching funds, in the 2008 election?

Since those changes were made, how much is estimated each candidate must raise for 2016?

You know the answers so posting them will be a snap.  Unless you're embarrassed to post the truth.

Would you like to stand corrected now?  Republicans dwarf democrats in outside spending, and it isn't even close.   What do you have to say, Markle?

And putting all of this aside and just focusing on the issue, should we allow unlimited dark money into politics?  That is the issue at hand here.  I say no.  Obama says no.  What do you say, Markle?  

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/

Obama PAC Contributions: $ 0.00

Romney PAC Contributions: $ 1,076,496

Obama Outside Spending: $ 131,303,352

Romney Outside Spending: $ 418,635,080

Total spent towards electing Obama: $ 1,107,114,7

Total spent towards electing Romney: $ 1,238,097,161

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:

You know the answers so posting them will be a snap.  Unless you're embarrassed to post the truth.

Would you like to stand corrected now?  Republicans dwarf democrats in outside spending, and it isn't even close.   What do you have to say, Markle?

And putting all of this aside and just focusing on the issue, should we allow unlimited dark money into politics?  That is the issue at hand here.  I say no.  Obama says no.  What do you say, Markle?  

Why are you afraid to post the contributions and spending of Sen. Barack Hussein Obama and Sen. John McCain and then semi-retired President Obama and Gov. Mitt Romney.

Allow me to help.

Dec. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Presidential candidates spent $1.7 billion in the 2008 U.S. election campaign, more than double the amount four years ago, Federal Election Commission filings show.

President-elect Barack Obama, the first major-party nominee to reject federal funding for the general election, spent $740.6 million. That eclipsed the combined $646.7 million that Republican President George W. Bush and Democratic nominee John Kerry spent four years earlier.

The FEC filings, covering the campaigns through the end of November, marked the first time that total spending by all presidential candidates surpassed $1 billion.

“A billion dollars may not go far to bail out Wall Street, but it’s still an enormous sum for a presidential race,” said Sheila Krumholz, executive director of the Center for Responsive Politics, a Washington-based research group.

By contrast, all candidates spent a total of $820.3 million in 2004 and $500.9 million in 2000.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aerix76GvmRM

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Why are you afraid to post the contributions and spending of Sen. Barack Hussein Obama and Sen. John McCain and then semi-retired President Obama and Gov. Mitt Romney.

Because this thread is about Citizens United, which is a Supreme Court decision that occurred in 2010. I'm not sure if you're familiar with how time works or not, though trust me when I say that Citizens United only affects political campaigns from 2010 on. (Holy shit!)

That said, I just gave you the relevant expenditures for Obama and Romney from 2012 which show your comment below to be factually incorrect.

Here they are one more time:

Obama PAC Contributions: $0.00

Obama outside spending: $ 131,303,352

Romney outside spending: $ 418,638,080

Put another way, Romney benefited from three times as much outside spending as Obama, so your comment above is objectively wrong.

Would you like to stand corrected now, or will you be running away?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bumping for Markle.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Well I guess we're done here then!

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Are you for overturning Citizen's United? Or do you believe our government should be controlled by corporatists through campaign financing?

What does Semi-sane "I KNOW NOSSING!" Markle say we should do?

boards of FL

boards of FL

President Obama wants to reverse Citizens United Giphy

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:I'm telling you, tack on "federal legalization of marijuana" and this will be a major historic presidency we are living through.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Well look at that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/16/obama-marijuana-decriminalization_n_6881374.html

Obama: If Enough States Decriminalize Marijuana, Congress May Change Federal Law

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum