Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obama has vetoed Keystone XL

+6
Markle
knothead
Sal
ZVUGKTUBM
KarlRove
Floridatexan
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/24/2015, 4:58 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/obama-vetoes-keystone-xl-pipeline-bill-n311671

KarlRove

KarlRove

Gotta keep the psycho greenies happy

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The President's veto will do nothing to keep tar sands bitumen from entering the United States, which happens to be a major importer and consumer of Canadian hydrocarbons. It will continue to be shipped by rail and via the existing pipeline network.

This veto is not a 'win' for climate change activists, because it will do nothing to stem the growth of Canadian tar sands development, which is scheduled to grow to 2.9 million barrels per day by 2020.

Even though the United States now produces 10 million barrels of oil-equivalents per day, it still imports another 8 million barrels per day from outside its borders. If we did not get it from Canada (a friendly country), we would be getting more of it from unstable countries, where our soldiers tend to be stationed (i.e., the volatile Middle East).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

It's pretty clear that if this current Congress of assclowns manages to pass a bill, it should be vetoed.

knothead

knothead

Even though the United States now produces 10 million barrels of oil-equivalents per day, it still imports another 8 million barrels per day from outside its borders. If we did not get it from Canada (a friendly country), we would be getting more of it from unstable countries, where our soldiers tend to be stationed (i.e., the volatile Middle East).

I have never advocated not accepting Canadian tar sands oil as I agree with you that it will continue to flow if the veto stands.  Approval of the pipeline, however, would result in a net loss of permanent long term jobs in both trucking and railroads.  We get to keep these jobs and continue to get the oil into our economy . . . . . the jobs argument was, in my mind, absent a long term strategy that was not friendly to American workers or to say it in contemporary parlance GOP bullshit! . . . . . . . . and to think that this was at the top of their agenda . . . .

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

knothead wrote:Even though the United States now produces 10 million barrels of oil-equivalents per day, it still imports another 8 million barrels per day from outside its borders. If we did not get it from Canada (a friendly country), we would be getting more of it from unstable countries, where our soldiers tend to be stationed (i.e., the volatile Middle East).

I have never advocated not accepting Canadian tar sands oil as I agree with you that it will continue to flow if the veto stands.  Approval of the pipeline, however, would result in a net loss of permanent long term jobs in both trucking and railroads.  We get to keep these jobs and continue to get the oil into our economy . . . . . the jobs argument was, in my mind, absent a long term strategy that was not friendly to American workers or to say it in contemporary parlance GOP bullshit! . . . . . . . . and to think that this was at the top of their agenda . . . .

The maximum number of jobs to be created that I heard was a whopping 50. Again...all the risk and not much gain for the USA. And TransCanada threatening eminent domain in Nebraska just made me mad.

7Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/24/2015, 11:05 pm

Markle

Markle

Semi-retired President Obama has VETOED the much needed Keystone Pipeline.

There is NO LOGICAL reason other than his massive ego and narcissism.  THOUSANDS of jobs and safer transportation of oil is irrelevant, immaterial and unimportant to him.  He does NOT CARE.

His goal, as we all know, is to reduce the strength and excellence of America to that of a second or third rate country.

A pipeline from one country to another and across several states is a HUGE INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT.  Wasn't one of President Obama's goals to increase the building of infrastructure?  Didn't he say that construction of infrastructure created jobs?

Or is that a lie too?

8Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/24/2015, 11:46 pm

bizguy

The maximum number of jobs to be created that I heard was a whopping 50. Again...all the risk and not much gain for the USA.

Try 9000 to 13000 direct jobs in America during the construction.  The state department projects 42000 direct and indirect jobs.  Sounds like a pretty good gain to me.

9Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 12:16 am

KarlRove

KarlRove

Sal wrote:It's pretty clear that if this current Congress of assclowns manages to pass a bill, it should be vetoed.

There are DEm assclowns that voted to pass it

10Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 12:17 am

KarlRove

KarlRove

bizguy wrote:The maximum number of jobs to be created that I heard was a whopping 50. Again...all the risk and not much gain for the USA.

Try 9000 to 13000 direct jobs in America during the construction.  The state department projects 42000 direct and indirect jobs.  Sounds like a pretty good gain to me.

Asshat liberals only hate jobs

11Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 12:45 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Wait a minute..... The devil in the details is that production of tar sands oil creates 17% more GHG than standard oil production. This is what is driving activists to go crazy over the Keystone XL pipeline. Tar sands oil is apparently "dirtier" than other petroleum--I have difficulty getting my arms around this because all petroleum is black and gooey.

The climate-change dragon breathes its fire once again......

Why is tar sands oil "dirtier" than regular oil? Well, a small portion of it (about 20%) is mined from surface mines. The other 80% of the resource is too deep for mining and must be heated with steam pumped through underground wellbores, which loosens the bitumen so it can be pumped to the surface similar to conventional oil wells. Heating the steam requires the burning of natural gas, which adds CO2 to the atmosphere; this is what the Keystone XL activists are all up in arms about.

What these folks need to know is that steam flooding is used all over the oil industry in the Lower 48 as an enhanced oil recovery technique. Literally tens of thousands of oil wells in the San Joaquin Valley of CA, where I grew up, use steam flooding to get the oil out. Where is there ire about this?

Moreover, by helping to block Keystone XL, these activists have likely guaranteed that tar sands development will continue with a much larger GHG footprint than it would with the pipeline. Those smoke-belching trucks and trains hauling the oil from the production area to refineries will burn lots of diesel--dumping a lot more CO2 into the air than pumping it through a pipeline would. Just a plain fact.

12Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 12:56 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:Semi-retired President Obama has VETOED the much needed Keystone Pipeline.

There is NO LOGICAL reason other than his massive ego and narcissism.  THOUSANDS of jobs and safer transportation of oil is irrelevant, immaterial and unimportant to him.  He does NOT CARE.

His goal, as we all know, is to reduce the strength and excellence of America to that of a second or third rate country.

A pipeline from one country to another and across several states is a HUGE INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT.  Wasn't one of President Obama's goals to increase the building of infrastructure?  Didn't he say that construction of infrastructure created jobs?

Or is that a lie too?

Sorry Semi-Sane "I know NOSSING" Markle.  America IS a second rate country -- economically, corruptibility, infrastructure-wise.  Highest number of incarcerated citizens of any county in the world.  Has a massive abyss between the less than 1% who have more than 50% of all the money in the country (if not the world).  Has been and is engaged in more wars than any other country over the past 300 years.  Maintains a high level of hostile racism, and its population includes thousands of homeless people.  It's elections are becoming ever more controlled by corporate campaign financing.  Reality.

"Fascism should more appropriately be called corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."
                              Benito Mussolini

13Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 10:26 am

gatorfan

Our uninformed President of "No" is not serious about creating middle class jobs or adding another safety net reducing reliance on M/E or South American oil. The actual number of jobs during construction and after is impossible to predict but using a comparison to the Trans Alaskan pipeline it's evident there WILL be jobs created.

Also, according to Politifact Obama lied when he said this:

"Obama said, Keystone XL allows "Canada to pump their oil, send it through our land, down to the Gulf, where it will be sold everywhere else."

The general consensus among experts, as well as the State Department, is that American refineries would be the primary buyers of crude oil transported through the Keystone XL pipeline, by a vast margin. Some Keystone XL critics have a point that American refineries would likely export some of the products that they make with crude oil transported by the pipeline. The State Department says, however, that product exports are already increasing, and that trend would likely continue independent of a new pipeline. Additionally, American refineries tend to keep more products in the country than they export."

We rate Obama’s claim Mostly False.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/nov/20/barack-obama/obama-says-keystone-xl-exporting-oil-experts-disag/

14Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 1:20 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

gatorfan wrote:"Obama said, Keystone XL allows "Canada to pump their oil, send it through our land, down to the Gulf, where it will be sold everywhere else."

Not true.

Crude transported by Keystone XL would be consumed in US

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2015/02/ihs-crude-transported-by-keystone-xl-would-be-consumed-in-us.html?cmpid=EnlDailyFebruary242015

15Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 4:09 pm

polecat

polecat

Republicans moan about Obama's #KeystoneXL veto
RELATED: Republicans continue to block Obama's plan to fix America's 70,000 unsafe bridges.
- The Daily Edge
Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Obama-smirk

16Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 5:41 pm

knothead

knothead

"Most, if not all, of the crude oil that would be transported via the proposed Keystone XL pipeline to the US Gulf Coast would not be exported, and the vast majority of refined product—about 70%—derived from it would be consumed in the US, according to a recent report by IHS."

Zman, the very first paragraph does not support your position.  If there is to be long term benefits to the American economy there should be an formal agreement between our governments codifying the same.  This is a long term relationship and presently the risks are evident and the benefits are not etched in granite . . . . also, they should not have been granted an exemption from contributing to the oil spill remediation fund.

"In fact, the amount of oil sands flowing into the US would still increase regardless of whether Keystone XL is built, according to the report, which analyzed the outlook for oil sands and other heavy crudes in North America."

Secondly, this statement supports my own argument from day 1 . . . . . we will get the oil whether it is built or not.  Maintaining the status quo secures those thousands of truck and rail jobs.  This has no benefits for us but huge benefits for Trans Canada . . . . .

17Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 8:40 pm

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:"Most, if not all, of the crude oil that would be transported via the proposed Keystone XL pipeline to the US Gulf Coast would not be exported, and the vast majority of refined product—about 70%—derived from it would be consumed in the US, according to a recent report by IHS."

Zman, the very first paragraph does not support your position.  If there is to be long term benefits to the American economy there should be an formal agreement between our governments codifying the same.  This is a long term relationship and presently the risks are evident and the benefits are not etched in granite . . . . also, they should not have been granted an exemption from contributing to the oil spill remediation fund.

"In fact, the amount of oil sands flowing into the US would still increase regardless of whether Keystone XL is built, according to the report, which analyzed the outlook for oil sands and other heavy crudes in North America."

Secondly, this statement supports my own argument from day 1 . . . . . we will get the oil whether it is built or not.  Maintaining the status quo secures those thousands of truck and rail jobs.  This has no benefits for us but huge benefits for Trans Canada . . . . .

How do the thousands of jobs, plus the thousands of ancillary jobs, plus the taxes and increased safety NOT benefit America?

Is a pipeline NOT infrastructure? Has semi-retired President Obama said that building more infrastructure is NOT a good thing?

18Obama has vetoed Keystone XL Empty Re: Obama has vetoed Keystone XL 2/25/2015, 9:36 pm

knothead

knothead

Is a pipeline NOT infrastructure?

In my mind no . . . . . infrastructure is roads, bridges, upgraded power grids, upgraded water systems, etc., etc.

This is a project that delivers little to the American people except of course risk to our water aquifers and a trampling on the property rights of many.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum