Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Many republican governors are at a crossroads: Double down on stupid or face reality?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-02-23/tax-increases-much-regretted-necessity-for-republican-governors

Tax Increases Much-Regretted Necessity for Republican Governors

(Bloomberg) -- Republican governors meeting in Washington this weekend said financial conditions in their states have deteriorated so much that they must raise taxes, even if it means crossing their own party.

In the face of a historical antipathy deepened by the Tea Party movement, chief executives in Alabama, Nevada and Michigan among other states are proposing increases this year to address shortfalls or to spend more on faltering schools and infrastructure. They advocate higher levies on businesses, tobacco, alcohol and gasoline, in some cases casting the increases as user fees.

The governors are at a crossroads. They are choosing between the path of Governor Sam Brownback in Kansas, who has refused to change course even after tax cuts provoked furious opposition, and that of Alabama’s Robert Bentley, who has said the state’s perennially precarious budget has reached the breaking point.

“We don’t have any choice.”

Governor Robert Bentley
“I don’t want to raise taxes, but I also know that we need to pay our debts,” Bentley said in an interview. “We don’t have any choice.”

Governors in about 10 states, many led by Republicans, are proposing increases this year, said Brian Sigritz, director of state fiscal studies for the National Association of State Budget Officers in Washington. Several plans involve raising fuel taxes to pay for crumbling roads and bridges, while Republicans including John Kasich in Ohio and Maine’s Paul LePage want higher sales or other levies to offset income-tax cuts. The burden of such taxes falls more heavily on the poor, who spend a larger proportion of their income.

Criticism Expected

In Nevada, two-term Republican Governor Brian Sandoval has proposed $1.1 billion in new or continued business, tobacco and other taxes to pay for education and initiatives such as expanding full-day kindergarten.

He said he has no choice with a shortfall caused by declining mining and gambling revenue, as well as a need to spend more on an education system that has the worst high-school graduation rate in the U.S.

His proposal has drawn opposition from Republican officials such as Treasurer Dan Schwartz, who said voters rejected two similar proposals in November and that Sandoval has “divorced” himself from state Republicans.

Sandoval said there are Republicans who support his plan, and that business leaders want better-educated workers.

“I knew going in that I was going to receive criticism,” Sandoval said in an interview. “That’s why it’s important for me to explain the ‘why,’ and the ‘why’ is to improve education in Nevada.”

Being Bold

Alabama’s Bentley, a two-term Republican, said he spent four years cutting spending, improving efficiency and making government smaller. Now, more revenue is needed to deliver services and deal with a long-building budget deficit of about $265 million that could reach $700 million by the fiscal year that begins in October.

Bentley said that while he’s still formulating his plan, it won’t involve gambling revenue and will include multiple taxes that the Republican-controlled legislature can approve.

Alabama has a history of opposing tax increases and rejected former Republican Governor Bob Riley’s $1.2 billion plan in 2003. Bentley said he expects backlash this time as well.

“But we’re going to do it with boldness, and this is something that we must do,” he said.

States are feeling pressure to pay for projects and services cut or delayed during the recession that ended in June 2009 and the sluggish recovery, said Michael Leachman, director of state fiscal research for the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities in Washington, which analyzes how fiscal decisions affect the poor.

“Governors of both political parties are faced with those neglected investments,” Leachman said.

The prospects for enacting the proposals are unclear, especially after Republicans extended control of legislatures to 31 states in last year’s elections and now have majorities in a record 69 of 99 chambers.

Mobility Money

In Ohio, Republican lawmakers have said that while they welcome Kasich’s plan to cut income taxes, they oppose “tax shifting” to do it.

An exception may be efforts to raise fuel taxes to pay for infrastructure. The purchasing power of levies that haven’t increased in years has declined, roads and bridges are visibly deteriorating, federal funding is uncertain and the political climate may be more forgiving thanks to cheaper gasoline.

More than a dozen states, many with Republican governors, appear poised to increase transportation revenue this year, said Sean Slone, program manager for transportation policy at the Council of State Governments in Lexington, Kentucky.

Republican Governor Terry Branstad in Iowa said he’s not raising taxes. Rather, he’s backing a higher “user fee” to address a $215 million shortfall in annual transportation funding without borrowing, he said.

“I’m an anti-tax person as well,” Branstad said. “People who get the benefits of the roads should pay for it.”

Other Republicans at the National Governors Association meeting held the traditional ground that raising taxes shouldn’t be an option.

“This economy is in a delicate state, and the last thing it needs is higher taxes,” said Indiana Governor Mike Pence, a potential presidential candidate in 2016.

National Calculation

The White House ambitions of Republican governors including Chris Christie in New Jersey and Scott Walker in Wisconsin may make raising taxes a gamble no matter what the state’s financial condition.

Christie has put a Democrat in charge of transportation spending and said he was open to all options for replenishing a road fund that has gone dry. He didn’t mention the crisis in a speech last week that railed against taxes.

Walker has ignored proposals from his transportation secretary to raise taxes and fees in favor of borrowing $1.3 billion. He also has said he will skip more than $100 million in debt payments to address a $283 million deficit after tax cuts.

In Kansas, Brownback is slowing his push to eliminate the income levy and calling for higher tobacco and liquor taxes because the state faces a $280 million shortfall after previous tax cuts produced greater revenue losses than anticipated. Still, he has said that the state will stay the course.

Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy, a Democrat, raised taxes to help close a $3.6 billion deficit after taking office in January 2011 and was criticized by Christie and other Republicans for doing so.

Malloy said that while he chafed at the barbs, he’s not celebrating now that some Republicans are in position of having to raise levies.

“In a super-politicized environment -- and certainly we have suffered in one of those during this post Great Recession period -- some people thought it would never happen to them,” Malloy said in an interview. “They were wrong.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Mark Niquette in Washington at mniquette@bloomberg.net

Sal

Sal

Sam Brownback is establishing a new teahadist caliphate in Kansas.

All loyal Republicans are urged to move there and join the fight.

KarlRove

KarlRove

We would rather stick around and put it to you here.

gatorfan

All loyal liberal loons are encouraged to pick one of the poorest cities in the U.S. and move there so they can demonstrate their solidarity with the poor, neglected liberals in those communities and commiserate with the incompetent politicians running the place. You can choose between 9 of the poorest 11 cities.......

Louisville, Kentucky – Democrat mayor
Boston, Ma - Democrat mayor
Indianapolis, Indiana – Republican mayor
El Paso, TX - Democrat mayor
Fresno, CA – Republican mayor
Baltimore, MD – Democrat mayor
Tucson, AZ – Democrat mayor
Memphis, TN – Democrat mayor
Philadelphia, PA – Democrat mayor
Milwaukee, WI – Democrat mayor
Detroit, MI – Democrat mayor

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:All loyal liberal loons are encouraged to pick one of the poorest cities in the U.S. and move there so they can demonstrate their solidarity with the poor, neglected liberals in those communities and commiserate with the incompetent politicians running the place. You can choose between 9 of the poorest 11 cities.......

Louisville, Kentucky – Democrat mayor
Boston, Ma - Democrat mayor
Indianapolis, Indiana – Republican mayor
El Paso, TX  - Democrat mayor
Fresno, CA – Republican mayor
Baltimore, MD – Democrat mayor
Tucson, AZ – Democrat mayor
Memphis, TN – Democrat mayor
Philadelphia, PA – Democrat mayor
Milwaukee, WI – Democrat mayor
Detroit, MI – Democrat mayor

What on earth does this have to do with republican governors coming to terms with their own policy?

Beyond that, are you even aware of the fact that there is a strong correlation between poverty and the "redness" or "blueness" of a state?  There is also a correlation between "redness" and "blueness" and things like "% of citizens with a high school education", "% of citizens with a bachelors degree", "% of citizens who own homes", obesity, teen pregnancy, etc., etc..

Long story short, even if your post were relevant, it's still wrong.  We know that poverty - among other things - positively correlates with the degree to which a state is red.

Here are the most poverty stricken states in the US.

1.  Mississippi (20.7%)
2.  Louisiana (18.3%)
3.  New Mexico (17.9%)
4.  Alabama (20.1%)
5.  Texas (16.2%)

Well look at that?  Who would have thought?  The five most poverty stricken states are all red!  These are states that are about as deeply entrenched in republican policy as one can be.

"Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana Most Conservative States"

http://www.gallup.com/poll/181505/mississippi-alabama-louisiana-conservative-states.aspx

I wonder what happens when we look at states with the least poverty? (rhetorical question)

1.  New Hampshire (5.6%)
2.  New Jersey (6.8%)
3.  Vermont (7.6%)
4.  Minnesota (8.1%)
5.  Hawaii (8.6%)

Well that's interesting! Three of the top five are strongly liberal and the other two are middle-of-the-road states with no strong lean either way.

gatorfan

How fascinating! You are a wealth of wikipedia knowledge. I'm underwhelmed.

On another note it's cold in the northeast.

That has nothing to do with your thread drivel either.

As if it matters.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:How fascinating! You are a wealth of wikipedia knowledge. I'm underwhelmed.

On another note it's cold in the northeast.

That has nothing to do with your thread drivel either.

As if it matters.

So now the narrative is that everything I just said is bullshit because it is available on Wikipedia.  Nevermind the fact that you're not actually responding to anything I just said directly, rather, you're just basically saying "WIKIPEDIA LIES!!!"  

OK.  I can shut that argument down as well.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryndill/2014/10/13/the-richest-and-poorest-states-in-2014/

http://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank34.html

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/slideshows/the-10-poorest-states-in-the-union

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/09/18/americas-richest-and-poorest-states-2/5/

Etc.

Etc.

It really doesn't matter the source, the metric, or the time period.  The results are the same.  Poverty positively correlates with a state's degree of redness.  This is also the case for degree of educational attainment, teen pregnancy, obesity, and a host of other undesirables.

And, again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the underlying subject matter at hand - which is republican governors coming to terms with the consequences of their policy.

Imagine if this thread were about the current NBA season.  You're the guy who sticks his head in and says "Mike Tyson was the greatest quarterback in the history of the National Hockey League".  And then when called out on the fact that 1) your comment is irrelevant to the NBA season and 2) it is flat out bullshit regardless, your response to that is to say "Of course someone who reads TV Guide would say that.  The air speed velocity of a swallow is 10 mph.  Burp."

It may seem like I am sensationalizing a bit there, but you are that guy. That's you.

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:

Imagine if this thread were about the current NBA season.  You're the guy who sticks his head in and says "Mike Tyson was the greatest quarterback in the history of the National Hockey League".  And then when called out on the fact that 1) your comment is irrelevant to the NBA season and 2) it is flat out bullshit regardless, your response to that is to say "Of course someone who reads TV Guide would say that.  The air speed velocity of a swallow is 10 mph.  Burp."

It may seem like I am sensationalizing a bit there, but you are that guy.  That's you.

You forgot, "hyper-sensitive, quivering, liberal loon".

He does have a knack of bringing the irrelevant to almost any conversation.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Speaking of Minnesota:

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/28729-this-billionaire-governor-taxed-the-rich-and-raised-the-minimum-wage-now-his-states-economy-is-one-of-the-best-in-the-country

When he took office in January of 2011, Minnesota governor Mark Dayton inherited a $6.2 billion budget deficit and a 7 percent unemployment rate from his predecessor, Tim Pawlenty, the soon-forgotten Republican candidate for the presidency who called himself Minnesota’s first true fiscally-conservative governor in modern history. Pawlenty prided himself on never raising state taxes – the most he ever did to generate new revenue was increase the tax on cigarettes by 75 cents a pack. Between 2003 and late 2010, when Pawlenty was at the head of Minnesota’s state government, he managed to add only 6,200 more jobs.

During his first four years in office, Gov. Dayton raised the state income tax from 7.85 to 9.85 percent on individuals earning over $150,000, and on couples earning over $250,000 when filing jointly – a tax increase of $2.1 billion. He’s also agreed to raise Minnesota’s minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2018, and passed a state law guaranteeing equal pay for women. Republicans like state representative Mark Uglem warned against Gov. Dayton’s tax increases, saying, “The job creators, the big corporations, the small corporations, they will leave. It's all dollars and sense to them.” The conservative friend or family member you shared this article with would probably say the same if their governor tried something like this. But like Uglem, they would be proven wrong.

Between 2011 and 2015, Gov. Dayton added 172,000 new jobs to Minnesota’s economy – that’s 165,800 more jobs in Dayton’s first term than Pawlenty added in both of his terms combined. Even though Minnesota’s top income tax rate is the 4th-highest in the country, it has the 5th-lowest unemployment rate in the country at 3.6 percent. According to 2012-2013 U.S. census figures, Minnesotans had a median income that was $10,000 larger than the U.S. average, and their median income is still $8,000 more than the U.S. average today.

By late 2013, Minnesota’s private sector job growth exceeded pre-recession levels, and the state’s economy was the 5th fastest-growing in the United States. Forbes even ranked Minnesota the 9th-best state for business (Scott Walker’s “Open For Business” Wisconsin came in at a distant #32 on the same list). Despite the fearmongering over businesses fleeing from Dayton’s tax cuts, 6,230 more Minnesotans filed in the top income tax bracket in 2013, just one year after Dayton’s tax increases went through. As of January 2015, Minnesota has a $1 billion budget surplus, and Gov. Dayton has pledged to reinvest more than one third of that money into public schools. And according to Gallup, Minnesota’s economic confidence is higher than any other state

Gov. Dayton didn’t accomplish all of these reforms by shrewdly manipulating people – this article describes Dayton’s astonishing lack of charisma and articulateness. He isn’t a class warrior driven by a desire to get back at the 1 percent – Dayton is a billionaire heir to the Target fortune. It wasn’t just a majority in the legislature that forced him to do it – Dayton had to work with a Republican-controlled legislature for his first two years in office. And unlike his Republican neighbor to the east, Gov. Dayton didn’t assert his will over an unwilling populace by creating obstacles between the people and the vote – Dayton actually created an online voter registration system, making it easier than ever for people to register to vote.

The reason Gov. Dayton was able to radically transform Minnesota’s economy into one of the best in the nation is simple arithmetic. Raising taxes on those who can afford to pay more will turn a deficit into a surplus. Raising the minimum wage will increase the median income. And in a state where education is a budget priority and economic growth is one of the highest in the nation, it only makes sense that more businesses would stay.

It’s official – trickle-down economics is bullshit. Minnesota has proven it once and for all. If you believe otherwise, you are wrong.

Now compare and contrast to Scott Walker in Wisconsin.

gatorfan

Sal wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

No, but feel free to add it on there if you wish.

I'm trying to emulate you Mr. Irrelevance.

How am I doing?

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
Sal wrote:

How am I doing?

You should first probably master the forum quote feature before graduating to things like satirically emulating others, Captain Quivering Loon.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
Sal wrote:

How am I doing?

You should first probably master the forum quote feature before graduating to things like satirically emulating others, Captain Quivering Loon.

Ah the ever increasing burden of forum protocols. I'll let you narrow-minded drones worry about those. Children always seem to need something to fret over.

Many republican governors are at a crossroads:  Double down on stupid or face reality? 337259927_looney_left_xlarge

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum