Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

so i have all these talpia in the canals here. question

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

they look good, its nice and clean here. what do you think, do you think they are ok to eat?

[img]so i have all these talpia in the canals here. question 400px-10[/img]

Yella

Yella

Chrissy8 wrote:they look good, its nice and clean here. what do you think, do you think they are ok to eat?

[img]so i have all these talpia in the canals here. question 400px-10[/img]

If they glow in the dark or you can catch 'em on fire with your zippo feed 'em to the turtles.

They look okay to me.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

SheSurfs

SheSurfs

Interesting....an old poster from PNJ days went to an upscale restaurant in Gulf Shores this weekend. He had not eaten all day and ordered fresh local tilapia. It made him violently ill which is very unusual for him.

Fish are filters for the goop in the water. Eat them and you eat the nasty stuff that cooking won't remove.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I don't really like tilapia. They are an invasive species from Africa. Probably fun as heck to catch, though.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

You gotta know what is in the canals. Any industries close by that might have a discharge? Large parking lots and storm drainage off streets draining into the canals (oil, grease, asbestos off brakes). Are sanitary sewers serving both side of the canal, or are they on septic tank systems?

Unless the fish have deformities, my guess is that a one-time occurance of eating the fish won't kill you.

Ja girly, I'd run through Eric's questions, then eat 'em. Can't be worse than any tilapia you ever ate in Pensacola (assuming you did).

Eric, there are no industries at all anywhere near where I live. None. less than in pcola where I lived there. This area is suburban, all houses everywhere. everybody has thier neat little lawns and many back up to the canals. lots of canals. I think this area is famous for having the most canals. Ill have to look.

These fish look good. No diseases.

On that note. There are known benefits to eating "WILD" fish over farm raised. I never ( almost ) ever eat fish unless I caught it myself.

Talapia is known be less in mercury than many other fish. This is a good thing. and fish in the wild have more omega 3 fatty acids than farm raised which are good for your brain.

The fish are cleaned. my kids caught them and cleaned them Smile

I have promised to cook them this coming weekend. a fish fry. I normally batter them, deep fry and make hushpuppies which I have my own special recipie for. Ill make homemade cabage coleslaw and fresh sliced tomatos. we like to eat them with hot sauce on em.

and rice, as much as I fished there and you know I did. I never seen talapia. i saw pogees. I usually ate trout, snapper and reds when i lived there.

no stress

no stress

Filet em out, dip em in egg bath and roll em in a 50/50 mix of panko crumbs and spaghetti cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Gunz wrote:Filet em out, dip em in egg bath and roll em in a 50/50 mix of panko crumbs and spaghetti cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

oh yummy. I love panko crumbs. I might do that instead of fry. your idea is much more healthy and I need to be more healthy at my age.

Thanks for the idea sexy..

Chrissy8 wrote:

and rice, as much as I fished there and you know I did. I never seen talapia. i saw pogees. I usually ate trout, snapper and reds when i lived there.

Yeah, I never saw any either and the guys I fished with said there were no tilapia there. Then I heard from OTHER fishermen that there were actually tilapia there, so... I dunno. I just miss snapper season.

Since Tilapia are commonly grown in ponds at fish farms, I always thought that they were fresh water fish. Those canals are not completely fresh water, so I guess they can tolerate salt water too. Interesting...

Yomama wrote:Since Tilapia are commonly grown in ponds at fish farms, I always thought that they were fresh water fish. Those canals are not completely fresh water, so I guess they can tolerate salt water too. Interesting...

This water doesnt look salty. It looks like fresh or maybe brackish.

I do think the canals here are fresh water though. Ill have to look that up. You can do it for me if you get bored? Razz

Cape Coral

Chrissy8 wrote:
Yomama wrote:Since Tilapia are commonly grown in ponds at fish farms, I always thought that they were fresh water fish. Those canals are not completely fresh water, so I guess they can tolerate salt water too. Interesting...

I do think the canals here are fresh water though. Ill have to look that up. You can do it for me if you get bored? Razz

Cape Coral

My brother lived on a Cape Coral canal. Most of them are connected to the open water. Got any boats on your canal, Chrissy? It would be a good indicator that it is connected to open water.

Yomama wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:

Cape Coral

My brother lived on a Cape Coral canal. Most of them are connected to the open water. Got any boats on your canal, Chrissy? It would be a good indicator that it is connected to open water.

I dont recall seeing any boats on this canal. I dont live on the canal here, I didnt want my grandson to fall in. The canal edges are usually steep and walled here as you probaly know. That scared me so I made sure to not get on one. The canal is a block over from me. all I see in it are lilly pads.

Chrissy8 wrote:I dont recall seeing any boats on this canal. I dont live on the canal here, I didnt want my grandson to fall in. The canal edges are usually steep and walled here as you probaly know. That scared me so I made sure to not get on one. The canal is a block over from me. all I see in it are lilly pads.

A lot of Cape Coral looks like this, with canals open to salt water or culverts that go under roads to provide some flushing action to keep the water from getting stagnant and help with stormwater flood control.

I'm not saying your canal is like this, just speaking in general.
so i have all these talpia in the canals here. question Captur36

Landrys on Gregory St serves a great signature tilapia entrée w/ spinach and 3 spicy shrimp and salad.
It was sooooo good !

chrissy... you live near some of the best fishing in the world. except in a restaurant... i havent bought fish since... hmm i can't remember... i might not have ever.

PkrBum wrote:chrissy... you live near some of the best fishing in the world. except in a restaurant... i havent bought fish since... hmm i can't remember... i might not have ever.

I rarely do buy fish. I havnt had fish in forever so I am looking forward to these.

people keep telling me how great the fishing is here, unfortuantly I just never seem to go out anymore. I always make plans and then never do it.

I did go fishing on pine island a few weeks back. I am waiting for it to cool a little.... then you guys might get lucky and see me less often here Razz

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

It is amazing how much salinity some freshwater fish can tolerate. One of my military tours was at Marine Corps Base Quantico, VA, which is about 25 miles south of Washington, DC, and smack-dab on the Potomac River. The river was home to an amazing bass fishery, along with several other species. The Potomac is tidally influenced all the way to DC, and you could smell the saltiness at low tide. The fishing was excellent, too.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

It is amazing how much salinity some freshwater fish can tolerate. One of my military tours was at Marine Corps Base Quantico, VA, which is about 25 miles south of Washington, DC, and smack-dab on the Potomac River. The river was home to an amazing bass fishery, along with several other species. The Potomac is tidally influenced all the way to DC, and you could smell the saltiness at low tide. The fishing was excellent, too.

seems to me I read something about certain fish have something in ther gills or somewhere that makes them be able to tolerate salt or brackish waters, not all fish have that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum