Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Deflated footballs.......New England has a history of cheating at every turn

+5
Sal
boards of FL
Joanimaroni
polecat
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

2seaoat

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-11-of-patriots-game-balls-were-underinflated/ar-AA8pFcj

polecat

polecat

What was the score of that game?

2seaoat

What was the score of that game?

Which one? Both playoff games were in cold weather conditions, and why would cheaters change their behavior for either game?

polecat

polecat

45 to 7
2lb less air is worth 38 points?

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

polecat wrote:45 to 7
2lb less air is worth 38 points?

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

Cheating/lying.....I see you approve. Not surprising.

boards of FL

boards of FL

If this story proves to be accurate, and if New England did deflate the balls after they were subjected to pre-game testing, there should be some consequence to that. Lost draft picks or something to that effect.

All that said, deflated balls had nothing to do with the outcome of that came.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:If this story proves to be accurate, and if New England did deflate the balls after they were subjected to pre-game testing, there should be some consequence to that.  Lost draft picks or something to that effect.

11of the 12 balls were deflated. Lost draft picks just like the last time New England cheated.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=12202450&city=boston&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B"ref"%3A"https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F"%7D

boards of FL

boards of FL

On ESPN radio today, I have heard several people weigh in - both at the pro and collegiate level - who are saying that this is fairly common. If it turns out that deflating balls is fairly common, I'd say there should be a stern warning to New England and everyone else that, moving forward, draft picks will be lost.

Sal

Sal

How does deflating the balls benefit the home team but not the visitors?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Sal wrote:How does deflating the balls benefit the home team but not the visitors?

It really doesn't unless it one QB prefers a deflated ball while the other prefers regulation. This is probably only making headlines because it involves New England. Had this been any other team we wouldn't be hearing about it.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:If this story proves to be accurate, and if New England did deflate the balls after they were subjected to pre-game testing, there should be some consequence to that.  Lost draft picks or something to that effect.

New England didn't know that before the game. They wanted every advantage.

I do wish the newscasters, who do not usually do sports on a regular basis, would learn a mite before doing the news cast. Being sexist, many of the offenders are women.

They were commenting how it was impossible for the balls to be two pounds lighter than their required weight. Then when they got that it was the air pressure in the balls, they didn't see what difference 2 pounds would make.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Markle wrote:

New England didn't know that before the game.  They wanted every advantage.

I do wish the newscasters, who do not usually do sports on a regular basis, would learn a mite before doing the news cast.  Being sexist, many of the offenders are women.

They were commenting how it was impossible for the balls to be two pounds lighter than their required weight.  Then when they got that it was the air pressure in the balls, they didn't see what difference 2 pounds would make.

LOL....a 14 lb. Ball.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Sal wrote:How does deflating the balls benefit the home team but not the visitors?

It really doesn't unless it one QB prefers a deflated ball while the other prefers regulation.  This is probably only making headlines because it involves New England.  Had this been any other team we wouldn't be hearing about it.

Really! A deflated football is easier to grip and throw and easier to catch.  I take it you didn't play sports.

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 1/21/2015, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:

It really doesn't unless it one QB prefers a deflated ball while the other prefers regulation.  This is probably only making headlines because it involves New England.  Had this been any other team we wouldn't be hearing about it.

It makes a huge difference. A ball with two pounds less air makes the ball slightly softer and easier to hold to pass. A softer ball is also easier to catch.

Easier to grip is a major advantage. ESPECIALLY when you're talking about professional players.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

It makes a huge difference.  A ball  with two pounds less air makes the ball slightly softer and easier to hold to pass.  A softer ball is also easier to catch.

Easier to grip is a major advantage.  ESPECIALLY when you're talking about professional players.

Both teams are playing with the same balls, so they both benefit from the same inflation. I pointed out that - being that the case - the only advantage there would be if one team preferred to play with an underinflated ball and the other did not. Then there would exist an advantage for the team that prefers the underinflated ball.

dumpcare

They're easier to get a grip on when catching.

Markle

Markle

A NASCAR Sprint car can, legally, adjust the pressure in their tires. They can adjust the tire pressure in one tire by 1/4 pound and it changes the handling of the car.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:

A NASCAR Sprint car can, legally, adjust the pressure in their tires.  They can adjust the tire pressure in one tire by 1/4 pound and it changes the handling of the car.

His point is that both teams play with the same ball. Being that the case, where is the advantage?

Markle

Markle

Joanimaroni wrote:

11of the 12 balls were deflated. Lost draft picks just like the last time New England cheated.

I agree except this isn't the first time for New England. Yes, they are punished, but they still win.

It would seem to me that cheating, again, would merit a more sever punishment.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

A NASCAR Sprint car can, legally, adjust the pressure in their tires.  They can adjust the tire pressure in one tire by 1/4 pound and it changes the handling of the car.

His point is that both teams play with the same ball.  Being that the case, where is the advantage?

They did NOT play with the same ball.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

His point is that both teams play with the same ball.  Being that the case, where is the advantage?

They did NOT play with the same ball.

I haven't read any reports that state one team played with deflated balls and other with regulation. Have you? If so, where?

Each team provides 12 balls to be used by their offense.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:Each team provides 12 balls to be used by their offense.

Yes sir.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

It makes a huge difference.  A ball  with two pounds less air makes the ball slightly softer and easier to hold to pass.  A softer ball is also easier to catch.

Easier to grip is a major advantage.  ESPECIALLY when you're talking about professional players.

Both teams are playing with the same balls, so they both benefit from the same inflation.  I pointed out that - being that the case - the only advantage there would be if one team preferred to play with an underinflated ball and the other did not.  Then there would exist an advantage for the team that prefers the underinflated ball.  

Wrong!

From the link I provided......

Sources earlier this season told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the Colts had concerns about underinflated balls after their regular-season game against the visiting Patriots on Nov. 16.
During that game, Colts safety Mike Adams twice intercepted Tom Brady and gave the balls to the Colts' equipment manager to save -- and both times there were concerns about the balls feeling underinflated, sources told Schefter.

Those sources said the Colts raised concerns to the league, which was aware of the issue going into this weekend's AFC title game.
Yet to be determined is what, if any, penalties may be imposed upon the Patriots. One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught" after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday.
Part of the investigation that needs further vetting is how the 11 footballs became underinflated.
The balls are required to be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces. Once approved by the referee, the balls are then put into ball bags and are set on the sidelines for each team. The ball bags are not guarded or watched in any way. When an official calls for a new football, a team's designated ball boy will get a new football from the ball bag and give it to the official.

Deflated footballs.......New England has a history of cheating at every turn Bos_a_brady_d1_300x200
AP Photo/Matt SlocumEleven of the Patriots' 12 game balls were inflated 2 pounds per square inch below what's required by NFL regulations during the AFC Championship Game against the Colts, according to league sources.

"We have been in complete cooperation with the league and will continue to do so," James said.
The NFL began looking into the issue because doctoring the footballs could provide a competitive advantage, compromising the integrity of the game.
Deflating a football can change the way it's gripped by a player or the way it travels through the air. Under NFL rules, each team provides balls each game for use when its offense is on the field. 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum