Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone here seen "American Sniper? I'd like to get your reaction to it.

+4
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
cool1
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella and I went to an early afternoon matinee yesterday.
I couldn't believe my eyes when we got to the Bayou Carmike and the entire parking lot was full. We had to park outside of the theater parking lot.
When we got our tickets and entered the theater auditorium, we discovered almost every seat had been sold. There were only a handful of single seats still available.
I have been seeing matinees at this theater since it opened as a Rave theater many years ago. I have never seen any matinee get this kind of attendance before. Blew my mind.

cool1

cool1

So how did you like the movie? I usually wait for movies to hit red box-- Very Happy

2seaoat

It has been heavily advertised and the weekend numbers set January records. I go to very few movies anymore, so I am the wrong person to ask. I will say that from what I have seen from the ads, this movie does not interest me enough to go pay to see it, and be one of those two or three movies I see a year. I do look forward to seeing it when it is free........of course I might sneak in to see it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

cool1 wrote:So how did you like the movie?  I usually wait for movies to hit red box-- Very Happy

I give the movie 2 thumbs up. But one of my big toes is pointing down and that is only because of the movie's length. For me, 134 minutes (2 hours and 15 minutes) is too long for any movie. But that's just a minor complaint and I could actually play my own devil's advocate on that this time. I realize Eastwood had a lot of material to include in this film and it all contributes to the overall story. Kyle did four tours of duty and each tour presented him with different gut wrenching life or death situations. For the audience to really understand what made Kyle be what he was requires that all of this be included in the movie. And it was also necessary to devote enough screen time to showing us what his life was like between tours as he returned home to struggle with his life as a husband and father.

American Sniper originally had Stephen Spielberg directing. But as the project developed, Spielberg decided he could not put this story on the screen with the alloted budget he was afforded so he dropped out.
Eastwood was then brought in and once again Eastwood delivers. I don't know how he keeps doing this repeatedly at his age (he'll be 85 in May) but I'm sure glad he's still got all his moviemaking chops. I don't look forward to the day I will no longer be able to experience a new Eastwood film.

Bradley Cooper also delivers with a phenomenal portrayal of Chris Kyle.
I've watched several interviews with the real Kyle and Cooper captures him perfectly.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Of course not everyone is happy with Chris Kyle's story.  lol

http://www.thewrap.com/american-sniper-complaints-grow-in-hollywood-should-clint-eastwood-be-celebrating-a-killer/

And one particular celebrity will DEFINITELY not be happy with the positive audience response to this movie.  lol

If you are not familiar with what I'm referring to,  you can get up to speed on that by watching two short youtubes.  One will present Kyle's version of what happened and the other Ventura's.

First Kyle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyAT1TVQ9Q

And then Ventura.  This video is 38 minutes long but all you need do is watch the first 5 minutes of it...

I report.  You decide.

cool1

cool1

yep that's what I saw its 2 hors long - I will wait for red box and munch at home , cheaper Laughing

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I have no intention of ever seeing this pile of war propaganda  many young men will sign up to become heroes and die for the rich bankers under the guise of being a band of brothers.   Bullshit

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I have no intention of ever seeing this pile of war propaganda  many young men will sign up to become heroes and die for the rich bankers under the guise of being a band of brothers.   Bullshit

Yeah, I'm not ready for this kind of jingoistic military fetishism either.

Too soon.

KarlRove

KarlRove

I cried through the only preview I saw. My wife is trying to get me to not watch it.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

KarlRove wrote:I cried through the only preview I saw. My wife is trying to get me to not watch it.
Did you cry for all the innocent Iraqis defending their country from invasion that were murdered by exceptional Americans ?

Yella

Yella

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
KarlRove wrote:I cried through the only preview I saw. My wife is trying to get me to not watch it.
Did you cry for all the innocent Iraqis defending their country from invasion that were murdered by exceptional Americans ?

Exactly so, Teo

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There is an obvious analogy between Chris Kyle and the atomic bomb.
Each ended the lives of many on the "other side",  but by doing so saved many lives on "our" side.  In fact Kyle in his telling of his own story makes that the basic theme,  that saving "our side's" lives is what it's all about and what he was all about.

The only problem with this analogy is Iraq and Iraqis had not attacked the United States.  In the case of Iraq, it's a lot harder to make the World War 2 argument that our country was defending itself.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Same lame dumbassed argument Sgt. York, the Quaker, used..I kilt deem men to save our men captain...well duh !

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

"Alvin: Well I'm as much agin' killin' as ever, sir. But it was this way, Colonel. When I started out, I felt just like you said, but when I hear them machine guns a-goin', and all them fellas are droppin' around me... I figured them guns was killin' hundreds, maybe thousands, and there weren't nothin' anybody could do, but to stop them guns. And that's what I done.
Maj. Buxton: Do you mean to tell me that you did it to save lives?
Alvin: Yes sir, that was why.
Maj. Buxton: [amazed] Well, York, what you've just told me is the most extraordinary thing of all!"

Sergeant York

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:There is an obvious analogy between Chris Kyle and the atomic bomb.
Each ended the lives of many on the "other side",  but by doing so saved many lives on "our" side.  In fact Kyle in his telling of his own story makes that the basic theme,  that saving "our side's" lives is what it's all about and what he was all about.

The only problem with this analogy is Iraq and Iraqis had not attacked the United States.  In the case of Iraq, it's a lot harder to make the World War 2 argument that our country was defending itself.

Buy a clue.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

The ONLY moral use of a military is self defense...and not after you threw the first punch....

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:The ONLY moral use of a military is self defense...and not after you threw the first punch....

That used to be true ...

... then, Bush Doctrine.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sal wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:The ONLY moral use of a military is self defense...and not after you threw the first punch....

That used to be true ...

... then, Bush Doctrine.
The bush family is corruption at it's roots  The world would have been a far better be place if someone had chopped that family tree down in the 1800s.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:There is an obvious analogy between Chris Kyle and the atomic bomb.

Buy a clue.

I'm sorry, I have no clue what "buy a clue" is supposed to be telling me. Can you reply to my post in a way that gives me "a clue" as to what your point is? lol

And for teo. If by talking about Sgt York, that's your code for telling me what our country did in WW2 is no different than what it did in Iraq, then I have to disagree. And to take that position all I have to do is think of what your and my life would have been like if Nazi Germany had won that war and taken permanent control of Europe. If that had happened I don't think there's any doubt that Nazi Europe vs the United States would have brought the war to the U.S. mainland.
So I'm glad my father spent 3 and a half years in the south pacific jungles helping to win that war.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

York was WW 1
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_C._York

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 1/19/2015, 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My mistake. I don't know a thing about World War 1 history so that one could have been bullshit too. Maybe someone else will have an opinion.

Bob wrote:My mistake.  I don't know a thing about World War 1 history so that one could have been bullshit too.  Maybe someone else will have an opinion.

Anyone here seen "American Sniper?  I'd like to get your reaction to it. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkqbo3aCoD5-n9ISoWhm0glRoFgchMIYFhnOwQaHddnK6kFEWD

According to history the United States entered WWI because of the sinking of the RMS Lusitania. The 139 US citizens that died when the ship was sunk was given as a reason... You'll note that it was a RMS ship not a USS. Was America defending itself or were these people in the wrong place at the wrong time (collateral damage)?

In WWII Germany had only made a declaration of war against the United States. The United States actually threw the first punch against Germany. Again... Was America defending itself or was America the aggressor?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzUCO7rG0M

Smile

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Damaged Eagle wrote:

In WWII Germany had only made a declaration of war against the United States. The United States actually threw the first punch against Germany. Again... Was America defending itself or was America the aggressor?

I realize that many Americans (you maybe included apparently) always see America as the aggressors and the bad guys in every conflict.
But here's how I look at it. I'm of the opinion that I didn't want to be born into a world with Hitler and the Nazis controlling Europe and then wanting to conquer the U.S. too. I guess that must make me a far-right warmonger like that fellow seaoat calls "butchmeup" but so be it.

I do not, however, believe our country should have invaded and occupied Iraq.
Call me ignorant and naive, but I don't believe America is always wrong (Michael Moore) or that America is always right (Pacedog). I think it can be wrong sometimes and right at other times.

Bob wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

I realize that many Americans (you maybe included apparently) always see America as the aggressors and the bad guys in every conflict.  
But here's how I look at it.  I'm of the opinion that I didn't want to be born into a world with Hitler and the Nazis controlling Europe and then wanting to conquer the U.S. too.  I guess that must make me a far-right warmonger like that fellow seaoat calls "butchmeup" but so be it.

I do not,  however,  believe our country should have invaded and occupied Iraq.  
Call me ignorant and naive,  but I don't believe America is always wrong (Michael Moore) or that America is always right (Pacedog).   I think it can be wrong sometimes and right at other times.  

Anyone here seen "American Sniper?  I'd like to get your reaction to it. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfAl_LcRsK-59oYJk-bpaSvhDZffrNlmoj9UBgAzMBF4N9g3fa

Just making a point Bob.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZup5YLOWLE

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum