Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Florida Law - 1/1/2015

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/26/2014, 12:48 pm

http://tbo.com/news/politics/new-florida-car-seat-law-takes-effect-jan-1-20141221/

The law requires children to be put in federally approved car restraint seats through the age of 3 and either a car seat or booster seat, depending on the size of the child, for kids 4 and 5.

Until the law kicks in on Jan. 1, Florida will be one of only two states that do not require child booster seats for children after they turn 4.

Under Florida’s new law, a violation could cost up to three points on a license for the driver and an unspecified fine set at the discretion of the judge, Morgan said. The points can disappear, too, if the driver takes a safety class.

2New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/26/2014, 5:15 pm

Markle

Markle

Just what we need. MORE REGULATIONS!

Semi-retired President Obama is unveiling another 1,300 regulations during the holidays so no one notices.

3New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/26/2014, 5:47 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I was shocked when I found out car seats have an expitation date....I'm sure, with car seats being $150.00 and up the car seat manufactures invented the idea of an expitation date.

4New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 2:45 pm

2seaoat

Just what we need. MORE REGULATIONS!

The horror of trying to protect small children when riding in dangerous automobiles......next thing you know they will be trying to stop mercury poisoning Escambia Bay from burning coal........we don't need no stinking regulations.....we are old and those children are whippersnappers....who cares.

5New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 3:24 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Just what we need. MORE REGULATIONS!

The horror of trying to protect small children when riding in dangerous automobiles......next thing you know they will be trying to stop mercury poisoning Escambia Bay from burning coal........we don't need no stinking regulations.....we are old and those children are whippersnappers....who cares.

Yea...$185.00 Eddie Bauer car seat expires....because of molded plastic. Our car interiors have molded plastic, how come they don't expire?

6New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 3:27 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

They expire so you have to buy new seats...duh...

7New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 3:33 pm

2seaoat

Yea...$285.00 Eddie Bauer car seat expires....because of molded plastic. Our car interiors have molded plastic, how come they don't expire?

I think the answer is obvious. The testing and approval of car seats is based on available car designs. It is never 100%, but the higher the percentage the more reliable the safety standards. As car designs change as they are dynamic, the car seat remains static. Like a box of cereal which has gone past the expiration date, it is still edible, but with more time there are risks. Testing is dynamic, and certainly like fire extinguishers which are tagged and recharged each year by law, we all know that they will work perfectly fine in 95% of applications 10 years from now, yet they insist on safety review on an annual basis. A child's seat by expiration, is still probably safe, but they are basically trying to improve the probabilities. The cost benefit of this process as you have raised should also be a significant component of the determining expiration dates.

8New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 4:50 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

TEOTWAWKI wrote:They expire so you have to buy new seats...duh...
When should I replace my dashboard?

9New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 4:53 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Joanimaroni wrote:
No you replace the whole car.... when the warranty expires of course....if it's a vette give me a call I'll take the worn out POS off your hands....

10New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 5:11 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
No you replace the whole car.... when the warranty expires of course....if it's a vette give me a call I'll take the worn out POS off your hands....
Ring ring.....uh oh no answer.

11New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 5:48 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Dang I just dozed off for a second....oh well.

They do recommend MC riders replace their helmets every 7 years or so...the padding loses it's springiness.

12New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 6:21 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Dang I just dozed off for a second....oh well.

They do recommend MC riders replace their helmets every 7 years or so...the padding loses it's springiness.
I don't think the "springiness" will help when a helmet hits the pavement at 65mph.

13New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 6:30 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Joanimaroni wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Dang I just dozed off for a second....oh well.

I don't think the "springiness" will help when a helmet hits the pavement at 65mph.
Yeah especially if there's a head in it....I watch these big tough guys riding with just a rag on their heads wearing flip-flops and a tee shirt and packing a cute gal in short shorts and a tube top and after shaking my head and pondering, I wish I had the gal on back of mine...LOL.

14New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 6:54 pm

2seaoat

When you keep taking it out of your car and putting your children in another car where the dashboard does not fit. However, if the dashboard does not leave the car, and you do not put children in the dashboard.....your dash probably does not need to be replaced.

15New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 6:56 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:When should I replace my dashboard?

When you keep taking it out of your car and putting your children in another car where the dashboard does not fit.  However, if the dashboard does not leave the car, and you do not put children in the dashboard.....your dash probably does not need to be replaced.
But the car seat does not leave the car.....neither does the dashboard.

16New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 7:04 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

ANSWER FROM THE GOOGLER...

http://baby.about.com/od/healthandsafety/f/car_seat_expiration.htm

There are several valid reasons why you need to stop using the car seat once it passes the expiration date.

• Technology Improves and Standards Change. A good example of this is that back in 2002 car seats were not even equipped with Lower Anchor and Tethers for Children (LATCH). Now however, they are a standard feature in nearly all car seats. Car seat expiration dates ensure that seats being used are current and up to snuff.
  • Materials Wear Down. Car seats were not made to last forever. Overtime the seat base can develop hairline fractures which may shatter in a crash (Should you replace your car seat?), and belts can become slightly elastic after years of use. Crash test videos provide a chilling example of how these materials can fail in a devastating manner.
  • Only Tested for a Certain Period. After a certain amount of time, manufacturers do not test seats. They cannot attest to how older seats will perform in an accident.

Locating the Expiration Date

Most car seats have the date of expiration stamped on the car seat base. Alternatively, it might show the date of manufacture. If that's the case, generally the car seat will expire 6 years after the date of manufacture. Only a few seats may be good for a few years longer than that. This aspect of car seat expiration is one strong reason not to buy used car seats.

Date of Manufacture vs. Date of Purchase

A tip when buying a car seat, remember that the clock starts ticking from the date of manufacture, not the date of purchase. If you find a great deal on a car seat because it is the previous year's model, understand that it has a shortened life compared to the newest release.

Not About the Price Tag

Don't be deceived that a more expensive seat will have a longer life time. That is not the case. All seats sold in the US meet current car seat standards. You can purchase several excellentcar seats for less.

17New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 7:12 pm

2seaoat

But the car seat does not leave the car.....neither does the dashboard.

Ah we have exposed the problem. Most certainly car seats leave cars and travel in multiple cars. Do you have a one car seat fits all in your role as grandmother? We take the grandchildren's car seats and put them in our DIFFERENT vehicles. Do you understand what the consumer product safey commission does? Do you understand that they are dynamically testing and collecting information on differing cars, safety seats, and known or discovered flaws. You seem to believe this process is static, and once buying a car seat which may be found to be inadequate, that safety is also static. Just like safety standards in autos are dynamic, we have put a high priority on the protection of our children to make sure that car seats are not dangerous and safety standards are constantly being updated. This is pretty simple stuff.

18New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 7:21 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:But the car seat does not leave the car.....neither does the dashboard.

Ah we have exposed the problem.  Most certainly car seats leave cars and travel in multiple cars.  Do you have a one car seat fits all in your role as grandmother?   We take the grandchildren's car seats and put them in our DIFFERENT vehicles.  Do you understand what the consumer product safey commission does?   Do you understand that they are dynamically testing and collecting information on differing cars, safety seats, and known or discovered flaws.   You seem to believe this process is static, and once buying a car seat which may be found to be inadequate, that safety is also static.   Just like safety standards in autos are dynamic, we have put a high priority on the protection of our children to make sure that car seats are not dangerous and safety standards are constantly being updated.  This is pretty simple stuff.

I got tired of changing car seats a long time ago. Mommy, Daddy, grandma, and grampa all have car seats.

19New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 7:23 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Ah but do you have this ?

New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Ipotty_wtf

20New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 7:34 pm

2seaoat

I got tired of changing car seats a long time ago. Mommy, Daddy, grandma, and grampa all have car seats.

So the one seat fits all growing children the same syndrome to save the time to transfer a seat which fits that child......I get it....price over safety, and convenience over safety. My daughter has changed three seats for the five year old, and two different seats for the three year old.......the one size fits all would NEVER be tried because my wife and I are not buying four different car seats which we exchange out as we take different grand kids, nor do we want to step all over parental responsibility for the safety standards of their child. Safety first, and expiration dates are simply good ideas when dealing with young children's transportation safety.

21New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 7:37 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:I got tired of changing car seats a long time ago. Mommy, Daddy, grandma, and grampa all have car seats.

So the one seat fits all growing children the same syndrome to save the time to transfer a seat which fits that child......I get it....price over safety, and convenience over safety.  My daughter has changed three seats for the five year old, and two different seats for the three year old.......the one size fits all would NEVER be tried because my wife and I are not buying four different car seats which we exchange out as we take different grand kids, nor do we want to step all over parental responsibility for the safety standards of their child.  Safety first, and expiration dates are simply good ideas when dealing with young children's transportation safety.
 The seats are changed with age/weight.  Oldest daughter had 3 little ones in car seats at the same time....prior to expiration dates, thank goodness.

22New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 7:46 pm

2seaoat

I hate the responsibility of transporting the grandchildren. I become a completely different driver when taking them to their activities. It is funny, but I think I am even more careful than I was with my children because with your own children it becomes routine, and with routine mistakes can be made. I am absolutely irrationally careful when the little ones are in the car.

23New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 7:56 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:I hate the responsibility of transporting the grandchildren.  I become a completely different driver when taking them to their activities.  It is funny, but I think I am even more careful than I was with my children because with your own children it becomes routine, and with routine mistakes can be made.  I am absolutely irrationally careful when the little ones are in the car.

Me too, Seaoat. I took three granddaughters to the gym yesterday and met my three grandsons for a basketball-coaching- scrimage with grandmaw.

I missed my 12 year old granddaughter's practice last week. Her coach sent me a message...granddaughter hit 5 -3 pointers. She has potential. I only gave her coach one suggestion.....do not coach them like they are girls....coach them as basketball players. Really nice coach and assistant coach. They are single military guys who love basketball.

24New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 8:24 pm

2seaoat

I coached seventh and eighth grade girls and boys. Some of my kids went on to play professional sports. I taught fundamentals and techniques which I had been taught by a high school coach who latter coached division one basketball. It is amazing what you can teach kids at this age. The simple pivot, the pick and roll, the back door, the sliding of feet when playing defense, the use of your hands in defense, the simple jump shot and the position of the wrist. I made if fun to work on fundamentals by integrating the same into drills which caused the kids to have fun and they did not see it as work.

I am not a fan of 12 year olds taking three point shots with girls. I see too many girls that because they are weak bring the start of their shot too low. It works in Junior high, it does not work in high school varsity once they have acquired bad habits. I work on base line jump shots with the ball fully extended over their head. As they get stronger we move out, but the shot is at the apex, and it is always is within their strength to do it properly. Too many volunteer coaches are teaching bad form and trying to win at these very low levels and the result is horrible bad habits which often cannot be broken.

25New Florida Law - 1/1/2015   Empty Re: New Florida Law - 1/1/2015 12/28/2014, 8:43 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:I coached seventh and eighth grade girls and boys.  Some of my kids went on to play professional sports.  I taught fundamentals and techniques which I had been taught by a high school coach who latter coached division one basketball.   It is amazing what you can teach kids at this age.  The simple pivot, the pick and roll, the back door, the sliding of feet when playing defense, the use of your hands in defense, the simple jump shot and the position of the wrist.  I made if fun to work on fundamentals by integrating the same into drills which caused the kids to have fun and they did not see it as work.

I am not a fan of 12 year olds taking three point shots with girls.  I see too many girls that because they are weak bring the start of their shot too low.  It works in Junior high, it does not work in high school varsity once they have acquired bad habits.  I work on base line jump shots with the ball fully extended over their head.  As they get stronger we move out, but the shot is at the apex, and it is always is within their strength to do it properly.  Too many volunteer coaches are teaching bad form and trying to win at these very low levels and the result is horrible bad habits which often cannot be broken.

I had no idea she could hit a three pointer.....she  and I have been working on a fast break lay-up, and her defense.....especially a trap.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum