Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

We have the potential to turn this forum into something more than just a chat room.

+4
VectorMan
Yella
boards of FL
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ever since I learned about northescambia.com my gears have been turning. That website is providing a real alternative to the traditional daily newspaper (for the north end of the county.
Being that I always have thoughts of entrepreunership, it occured to me that some enterprising individual could
copy the success of that and emulate it with a similiar website for the more populous south end of Escambia County (and could target Santa Rosa County as well). I've been doing a Walter Mitty on that and dreaming about doing just that.

And then when this forum came to my attention, I noticed that the whole shebang is apparently being paid for with only a few banner ads. The server space, the software, and whatever else is involved.

So I see an opportunity here. We could use this website to go toe to toe with both the Pensacola News Journal and the Independent Weekly. This would be truly taking social "media" to the limit.

Think about it. Both the PNJ and the IE are saddled with all the overhead of a traditional printed newspaper. A printed product has to be produced and distributed.
But we could borrow from the northescambia.com model which has virtually NO overhead and no startup costs.

I don't know a thing about what is involved with the news gathering aspect of northescambia.com But I have little doubt that however they accomplish that is done with a skeleton crew. So the existence of northescambia.com is the proof that it is feasible. More in the next post since I've exhausted the space.

Last edited by NaughtBob on 6/13/2012, 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Obviously, we could get the same access to police reports as ne.com does. That one's not hard.

But now comes the harder part but this is the part that really intrigues me. We potentially have a lot of retired
participants here who could attend the government meetings and other community events and write that up as well.
What I'm getting at here, is a TRUE Social MEDIA. An alternative to all the other local news media.

And we could make this a truly "we report and you decide" offering. We could be very focused on strictly reporting the news and not slanting it to reflect the wishes of any advertisers or political bent or crony politicans or power brokers. Actual bonafide reporting of the news which is beholden to no one.

And all the editorializing and commentary and opinion would be supplied by the READERSHIP like is being done with the PNJ forums and this forum already.
If any special interests of any kind want to participate that's perfectly fine because that commentary would be open to everyone in the community and everyone would be on an even playing field to jump in try to make their case.

I repeat, a true SOCIAL MEDIA in every sense of the term. We could re-invent the wheel of local news media.

Your thoughts? And that includes pros, cons, complaints, additions, comments, other suggestions or whatever.

Last edited by NaughtBob on 6/13/2012, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

3We have the potential to turn this forum into something more than just a chat room. Empty Too much like a JOB 6/13/2012, 9:19 pm

Bob, you would have to be MARRIED to a website to compete with the content and quality of Northescambia.com, PNJ, and Ricksblog.com.

I have helped Hallmarkgrad on his website with content, but only a couple of times. You couldn't count on me for much, but I'll help, Mr Phelps, should you decide to undertake it... This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

[url]northescambia.com[/url]

First of all, as of this moment (8:13 PM), only about a dozen news articles have been added to ne.com on June, 13.
I guarantee you that content is being produced by a skeleton crew.
If the participation in this forum grows, there will potentially be plenty of bodies to gather and write the news.

My idea envisions getting this kick-started with volunteers. Of course like all things it will not be fully developed from the beginning. And yes as with all things it will require some effort and dedication to get it rolling. Inspiration requires some perspiration.

If we could actually make a go of this and have some semblance of success, I foresee some philanthropical support for it. And I also see it getting to a point where it could obtain local advertising which would pay for enough paid staff to really get it rolling. There are all kinds of possibilities with this.
There is a pent-up desire on the part of many to bring "news media" back into the hands of the people without the influence of the usual suspects. This could prove to be the way to actually put that desire into practice.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Of course I have a hidden agenda in this deal. I get to write a weekly feature column. I've been a frustrated newspaper columnist without a column all my life. lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

I could add a "User Submitted News" section to the forum.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Think about all the interest we've generated in this website in just one day. All the additional participation. All the added page views.
Don't sell the potential of this place short.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:I could add a "User Submitted News" section to the forum.
That's the logical way to get it started. But there needs to be some guidelines about what content we want.
To make this work we want to provide the kind of "news" that qualifies as such.

Crime events and accidents and other law enforcement related stuff is a big part of what has been deemed to be "news". And before long someone would need to obtain press credentials to get us in the "press pool" or whatever it's called to get police reports. I have no idea how all that is actually put into practice, does anyone know?

Yella

Yella

I think a format like we all became so used to at the pnj.com would be good if it could be done. It seemed to me just about everything was covered.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Actually, there's a very simple way to find out whether or not this is a pipedream or it's not.

Who reading this is willing to volunteer some of your time to make this happen? Will the social media newsmen and newswomen please stand up?

I'll start it off. Me.

If I'm the only one who is willing to devote a little of his time to changing the face of local news media, then it's a pipedream and I'll put this idea behind me.

But if there is anyone else would like to be a party to making local news media history, then speak now or forever hold your peace.

Before you decide which, remember that Mark Zuckerberg started Facebook in his college dorm room.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hell I just noticed that there's already a thread on the list with the title "Some News You Don't See At PNJ".
And that thread was put up a little after 1PM (before I made any mention of this).

So don't tell me I'm the only one who wants this to happen. But if there is no desire to expand this concept and all anyone wants to do is post an occasional thread like that one then I'll acquiesce to that. But I think there is a desire to do this. We've all read countless posts on PNJ complaining in some form or fashion about the local news we have available to us now. We can now make that "news" be anything we want it to be. That's the potential we've been given with this technology.

12We have the potential to turn this forum into something more than just a chat room. Empty Don't everybody jump in at once! 6/13/2012, 10:52 pm

NaughtBob wrote:Hell I just noticed that there's already a thread on the list with the title "Some News You Don't See At PNJ".
And that thread was put up a little after 1PM (before I made any mention of this).

So don't tell me I'm the only one who wants this to happen. But if there is no desire to expand this concept and all anyone wants to do is post an occasional thread like that one then I'll acquiesce to that. But I think there is a desire to do this. We've all read countless posts on PNJ complaining in some form or fashion about the local news we have available to us now. We can now make that "news" be anything we want it to be. That's the potential we've been given with this technology.

I said that I will help, and I will. You also know that I live most of the time in Hoover, AL.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

EricEricson wrote:

I said that I will help, and I will. You also know that I live most of the time in Hoover, AL.

Allrighty then! Looks like we've got this ball rolling. I'll cover Lower Alabama and you can take the North. Now we're competing with al.com too. And you and I have the credentials to be newspapermen. In all those old movies they were all drunks. lol

Okay, my Walter Mitty moment has come and it's now gone. I know when I'm licked (figuratively). It was not to be.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Damnit. And I so badly wanted to go to a Rotary Club meeting and have a seat at the table with Dick Schneider and Rick Outzen. Shit.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

By the way, why are all these posts showing Eastern time on them. I get so sick and tired of everybody thinking the panhandle is in Eastern time. I once did some business with a guy in New Jersey and he argued with me about what time zone I'm in. I could not convince him that I'm in Central Time. He actually thought I lived here but was so stupid I didn't know what time zone I was in. And now a forum located right here is stuck in Eastern time too. Jeebus.

VectorMan

VectorMan

NaughtBob wrote:By the way, why are all these posts showing Eastern time on them. I get so sick and tired of everybody thinking the panhandle is in Eastern time. I once did some business with a guy in New Jersey and he argued with me about what time zone I'm in. I could not convince him that I'm in Central Time. He actually thought I lived here but was so stupid I didn't know what time zone I was in. And now a forum located right here is stuck in Eastern time too. Jeebus.

I don't like that eastern time zone shit either.

But Bob, I'll help. I'm up for the adventure.

I'm a photographer and graphic artist. I can also shoot HD video.

What's next?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

VectorMan wrote:
NaughtBob wrote:By the way, why are all these posts showing Eastern time on them. I get so sick and tired of everybody thinking the panhandle is in Eastern time. I once did some business with a guy in New Jersey and he argued with me about what time zone I'm in. I could not convince him that I'm in Central Time. He actually thought I lived here but was so stupid I didn't know what time zone I was in. And now a forum located right here is stuck in Eastern time too. Jeebus.

I don't like that eastern time zone shit either.

But Bob, I'll help. I'm up for the adventure.

I'm a photographer and graphic artist. I can also shoot HD video.

What's next?
Well it's you and Eric and me (so far), Vec. I think the first step is for the three of us to meet and come up with a plan. I understand most newspaper folk meet at the Azalea Lounge.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Well it's you and Eric and me (so far), Vec. I think the first step is for the three of us to meet and come up with a plan. I understand most newspaper folk meet at the Azalea Lounge.[/quote]
I'll be an SOB. I just found out I've been posting at PNJ as a ghost. I think. Have you read any of my post lately at PNJ?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

VectorMan wrote:Well it's you and Eric and me (so far), Vec. I think the first step is for the three of us to meet and come up with a plan. I understand most newspaper folk meet at the Azalea Lounge.
I'll be an SOB. I just found out I've been posting at PNJ as a ghost. I think. Have you read any of my post lately at PNJ?[/quote]
Now that you mention it I haven't seen your posts lately. What could have caused you to get banned?
But since the whole thing is gonna be "banned" shortly it aint gonna make no difference no how.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Now that you mention it I haven't seen your posts lately. What could have caused you to get banned?
But since the whole thing is gonna be "banned" shortly it aint gonna make no difference no how.[/quote]

I have no idea why. I don't usually call names unless someone else starts it. As childish as that may sound, it's funny some times. Anyway, if I had to take a guess as to who is behind my second banning, I'd put my money on that Justin Casey person (or whatever sock he is using now). How many times has that guy been banned? How many for you, Bob? LOL Very Happy

Where is the spell check? I want it to be spelt rite

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

VectorMan wrote: How many for you, Bob? LOL Very Happy

At least six names have been banned but there are some I can't remember.

BobWood
NotBob
SnotBobby
RedKneckerson
Peckerwood
DavidJBaloney

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I can take the East Hill areas as far as that goes. However, I'm also a talented editor. If you need letters of reference, I've got them. I wrote a book entitled Nursing and the Internet several years ago, but the tiny publisher sold the publishing house so it never went to market. The Textbook I wrote DID go to market, though

I can commit to being married to the site, too, Hell, I was m
married to another site for two yeas and I loved it. I'm ready to do it again!
Hey - I'm still employed at night, so just leave the stuff that needs to be done at night under my purview, too.

I have plenty of time to work during in my nights off.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PBulldog2 wrote:I can take the East Hill areas as far as that goes. However, I'm also a talented editor. If you need letters of reference, I've got them. I wrote a book entitled Nursing and the Internet several years ago, but the tiny publisher sold the publishing house so it never went to market. The Textbook I wrote DID go to market, though

I can commit to being married to the site, too, Hell, I was m
married to another site for two yeas and I loved it. I'm ready to do it again!
Hey - I'm still employed at night, so just leave the stuff that needs to be done at night under my purview, too.

I have plenty of time to work during in my nights off.
Fantistic, PB. Our numbers are growing by the hour.
Four of us so far.
Come on, folks. We're getting close to the number of us we need to actually get this started. If a few more of you will see fit to join us we may can actually make this happen.

no stress

no stress

Hey Bob, Glad to see you guys taking the bull by the horns to have another area to voice your opinions and make friends in cyberworld. I meant it when I posted on PNJ (as dogslife) that it saddened me to see you guys losing your forum. Best of luck with this and although I dont post as much as alot of you, I'll be glad to help inasmuch as I can.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

GUNZ wrote:Hey Bob, Glad to see you guys taking the bull by the horns to have another area to voice your opinions and make friends in cyberworld. I meant it when I posted on PNJ (as dogslife) that it saddened me to see you guys losing your forum. Best of luck with this and although I dont post as much as alot of you, I'll be glad to help inasmuch as I can.
Thanks, Gunz. That makes five us. We're getting really close to having a the minimum number we need.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum