Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scalia: Torture ban is absurd and facile

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

KarlRove

KarlRove

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia has said it would be absurd and facile to ban interrogators from torturing terror suspects.

His controversial declaration comes amid outrage over a Senate report into CIA torture tactics, which found no life-saving information was extracted using brute force.

Speaking to a Swiss radio station, Scalia, 78, said American and European liberals who say such tactics may never be used are being self-righteous.

He said: 'Listen, I think it's very facile for people to say, "Oh, torture is terrible". You posit the situation where a person that you know for sure knows the location of a nuclear bomb that has been planted in Los Angeles and will kill millions of people.

'You think it's an easy question? You think it's clear that you cannot use extreme measures to get that information out of that person?'

Scalia also said that while there are U.S. laws against torture, nothing in the Constitution appears to prohibit harsh treatment of suspected terrorists. 'I don't know what article of the Constitution that would contravene,' he said.

The 30-minute interview touched on a range of topics, including the financing of political campaigns, the death penalty and gay marriage, about which Scalia said he should not comment because it is likely the court soon will have the issue before it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2872658/Supreme-Court-Justice-backs-torture-terror-suspects-saying-s-facile-absurd-rule-brute-force-interrogations.html

2seaoat

Scalia also said that while there are U.S. laws against torture, nothing in the Constitution appears to prohibit harsh treatment of suspected terrorists.

The Constitution does not address rape or murder, and its absence from the same does not make them any less morally repugnant or against the law.

KarlRove

KarlRove

State law addresses rape and murder thanks very much. Since terrorism is a federal venue because it is military related, it's above the pay grade of the state
To determine that or even be involved.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Nuf said. Stay in your lane when discussing military
Matters.

2seaoat

Nuf said. Stay in your lane when discussing military
Matters.

Did I miss something? The Geneva convention bans torture, and our policies in the Military ban torture. So why would you be concerned with the Constitution, or Judge Scalia's personal views?

KarlRove

KarlRove

2seaoat wrote:Nuf said. Stay in your lane when discussing military
Matters.

Did I miss something?  The Geneva convention bans torture, and our policies in the Military ban torture.   So why would you be concerned with the Constitution, or Judge Scalia's personal views?

Torture of whom? Were we at war with someone? Last I heard, Congress never declared war.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

KarlRove wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Nuf said. Stay in your lane when discussing military
Matters.

Did I miss something?  The Geneva convention bans torture, and our policies in the Military ban torture.   So why would you be concerned with the Constitution, or Judge Scalia's personal views?

Torture of whom? Were we at war with someone? Last I heard, Congress never declared war.
Your loophole only makes it worse..it makes every soldier that went over there a murderer.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Keep making it up as u go along

KarlRove

KarlRove

You talk a lot of trash TEO.

If you are that
Mad go do something about it.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Butthurt much?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I don't talk trash I talk common sense law. You seem to think that might makes right....you and our present government and military are lawless and criminal. Hitler's boys had far better excuses and we hung them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I feel bad for Karl, teo, and I'll tell you why.
It wouldn't matter what government he lived under. If he's one of that government's soldiers, Karl will always want to do the government's bidding.
Even though he despises Obama, if Karl is in the military and Obama orders him to torture somebody, Karl will do it.
Same holds true for Hitler or Stalin or Castro. If he was a soldier to any of them, he will let them decide for him what is moral. Because that's just Karl's way.

2seaoat

Americans simply cannot allow torture.  There is no debate.  If criminals want to rationalize their criminal behavior, go for it.......but it certainly does not change the underlying criminal conduct.   The lawyers who determined that torture is allowable should lose their law licenses to start with.........it must start with the lawyers because they are the excuse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum