Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Harvard Business School Professor is Giant Douchebag

+3
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
Sal
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Ben Edelman is an associate professor at Harvard Business School, where he teaches in the Negotiation, Organizations & Markets unit.

Ran Duan manages The Baldwin Bar, located inside the Woburn location of Sichuan Garden, a Chinese restaurant founded by his parents.

Last week, Edelman ordered what he thought was $53.35 worth of Chinese food from Sichuan Garden’s Brookline Village location.

Edelman soon came to the horrifying realization that he had been overcharged. By a total of $4.

If you’ve ever wondered what happens when a Harvard Business School professor thinks a family-run Chinese restaurant screwed him out of $4, you’re about to find out.

(Hint: It involves invocation of the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Statute and multiple threats of legal action.)

Harvard Business School Professor is Giant Douchebag Email110

Surprised yet? We were, too.

In addition to teaching at HBS, Edelman also operates a consulting practice where he advises clients like Microsoft, the NFL, the New York Times, and Universal Music on “preventing and detecting online fraud (especially advertising fraud).” (That’s from Edelman’s own website, which it seems safe to presume is always kept up to date.)

He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College. He has a Ph.D. in economics from Harvard University, and a law degree from Harvard Law School.

Ran Duan moved to the U.S. from China when he was 3-years-old. His father had hoped to support the family with a career as an opera singer, but when that didn’t pan out, Duan says “like all Chinese families we decided to open up a restaurant.”

Sichuan Garden opened its doors in Brookline in the early 1990s. A second location followed in Woburn.

Despite the restaurant’s successful expansion, Duan admittted that Sichuan does not have the budget for teams devoted to public relations or a website that is updated as regularly as it should be.

“I personally respond to every complaint and try to handle every situation personally,” said Duan, who was profiled by Boston Magazine in June and featured in GQ Magazine last month as “America’s Most Imaginative Bartender.”

The exchange with Edelman stood out to Duan. “I have worked so hard to make my family proud and to elevate our business. It just broke my heart.”

Edelman told Boston.com that investigating pricing discrepancies by neighborhood restaurants isn’t something he does every day.

“I mostly look for malfeasance by larger companies,” he said. “It certainly seems like a situation that could call for legal redress. But this is a small business in the town where I reside.”

As for the troves of angry customers likely looking for recourse? Edelman pointed Boston.com to Massachusetts General Law, Section XV, Chapter 93A, Section 9. (Translation: If you didn’t pass the Massachusetts bar, but still feel as though you must do SOMETHING, then just gather all the receipts you’ve saved, along with all screenshots you took and saved of the website menu in case that dinner order ever ended up in court, find a lawyer whose fees aren’t likely to exceed the few dollars you’re seeking, and ... voila?)

As for Edelman, he alerted town officials in Brookline about the matter, but told Boston.com he doesn’t expect them to take action. He plans to “take a few days” before deciding whether to pursue any further legal action against the restaurant.

Oh and the food? Edelman admitted: “It was delicious.”

http://www.boston.com/food-dining/restaurants/2014/12/09/harvard-business-school-professor-goes-war-over-worth-chinese-food/KfMaEhab6uUY1COCnTbrXP/story.html

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I think the restaurant owner is pretty damn savvy! His responses were great.

2seaoat

I disagree. The deceptive practices on the web have been more often than not to rip off people. I think in this case the guy was a jerk, but he is right. I have a business which I have ran for almost 11 years which depends on our website to generate business. Last year out of the blue I am no longer able to update the website because my service provider migrated servers to the newest Microsoft server which no longer supported Frontpage extensions.....I could not even get into the web to change anything. It took me four weeks before the host service gave me a bare bones Microsoft visual studio program which allowed basic changes. In the mean time we got roasted by piszed off customers who thought we were being deceptive on our pricing which had changed two weeks prior. It was a disaster, and people just expect immediacy on the web......AND THEY SHOULD. We screwed up. Do not have a web presence if you cannot maintain the same to the high standards you run your business. The guy is a jerk.....but he is right.

Sal

Sal

Of course, technically he's right, but he's being a giant douchebag about it.

That's the point.

The dude agreed to refund the money and correct the website.

2seaoat

Of course, technically he's right, but he's being a giant douchebag about it.

That's the point.

The dude agreed to refund the money and correct the website.

We had a local guy go after people who fax ads to people. He found a law which gave him treble damages and he started holding seminars and going after the local pizza and other restaurants who were faxing specials. I thought he was petty and then I realized we get about three faxed ads printed on our paper, and ink every day. Yea, they usually are jerks, but damn the underlying problem usually can only be solved by some jerks.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:
We had a local guy go after people who fax ads to people.  He found a law which gave him treble damages and he started holding seminars and going after the local pizza and other restaurants who were faxing specials.  I thought he was petty and then I realized we get about three faxed ads printed on our paper, and ink every day.   Yea, they usually are jerks, but damn the underlying problem usually can only be solved by some jerks.

What's a "fax"??

lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

That lawyer approached that poorly.

Everyone knows that when you decide to patronize a business or website and feel somehow cheated - no matter the reason - the right thing to do is to call for an election so that ownership can change hands in a way that is more pleasing to you.

Common sense!

boards of FL wrote:That lawyer approached that poorly.

Everyone knows that when you decide to patronize a business or website and feel somehow cheated - no matter the reason - the right thing to do is to call for an election so that ownership can change hands in a way that is more pleasing to you.

Common sense!

It's going to be ok. Perhaps some ice packs would help?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I was sick before I left the restaurant. I had gone there with several friends...think there were at least 12 of us...and I tasted my friend's entree...a fish "pattie" that had no doubt been refrozen after thawing. I called the restaurant owner and demanded a refund, and then I went back to the restaurant (still feeling ill but also very determined) and I proceeded to make a scene in the lobby until he refunded my money, which wasn't nearly enough, since the 3 other people who also got sick didn't contest it...we all tasted the same fish. This to me is a legitimate complaint against a restaurant...not a contest about an extra $1 charge on an entree. One might expect something less petty from a Harvard graduate...but maybe not.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I took a bunch of college kids, about 15 of them to swim with the manatees at Crystal River. For lunch I ordered 4 large pizzas and soft drinks. One of the kids found a hair in one of the pizzas with a chunk of cheese melted onto it. I complained to the manager and we only paid for the drinks...more than fair...

KarlRove

KarlRove

point of this thread?

NONE

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum